Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Offered as a gas-only model or plug-in hybrid
- Stylish exterior design
- Chic cabin design
- Modern range of driver-assist features
Volvo XC90: Everything You Need to Know
About the XC90:
Germany has given us many class-leading luxury vehicles over the years, but the stellar Volvo XC90 proves that Sweden also has a lot to offer in this area. The XC90’s sheet metal exudes subdued polish, and its cabin design is swank and elegant. Also, the XC90 provides keen handling, and it comes with a wide range of cutting-edge driver-assist features to keep you safe on the road.
The XC90 is a midsize crossover SUV offered by Volvo, a Swedish automaker. It seats up to seven passengers, and comes as a gas-only model or plug-in hybrid. Buyers can choose between front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
Volvo sells the XC90 in four trim levels:
With its uniquely Swedish point of view, the Volvo XC90 puts a fresh spin on auto luxury. Spacious and deluxe, it’s a fine choice for shoppers on the hunt for a premium midsize SUV.
What’s New in the 2019 Volvo XC90?
Volvo’s XC90 ushers in these changes for the 2019 model year:
- R-Design and Inscription trims add a new Harman Kardon audio system.
- Convenience and Momentum Plus packages have been dropped.
- Advanced and Multimedia packages have been added.
What Does the 2019 Volvo XC90 Compete With?
The XC90 competes with midsize luxury SUVs such as the models listed below:
- Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
- Lincoln Nautilus
- Maserati Levante
- Audi Q7
- Audi Q8
- Lexus RX
- Tesla Model X
- BMW X5
- Acura MDX
- BMW X6
- Land Rover Discovery
Volvo’s XC90 sets itself apart with its leading-edge features and Scandinavian style.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Volvo XC90
With its clean lines, the XC90’s design takes a laid-back approach to European style. An elegant front fascia hosts slim headlights and a black grille with a chrome frame. The XC90’s profile is fluid, with defined wheel wells and a flowing roofline.
The XC90 includes these features:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Aluminum roof rails
- Front LED headlights
- Power-folding side mirrors
- Panoramic sunroof
The list of optional exterior equipment includes headlight washers and larger wheels.
Interior Style in the 2019 Volvo XC90
The XC90’s cabin design takes a less-is-more approach. The center stack features only a few buttons and knobs, with the large tablet-style touchscreen serving as the access point for infotainment features. Standard aluminum inlays trim the dash and center console, and help give the cabin a tony look.
Front-seat passengers enjoy good support, and the second row offers plenty of headroom and legroom. The standard third row provides seven-passenger seating.
For parents with young kids, a second-row center booster cushion is optional. It seats kids over three, putting them in a position that’s high enough for them to safely wear a seatbelt. The XC90 also comes with second-row LATCH attachments, and they’re easy to use.
This Volvo provides a large amount of cargo capacity. With all seats in place, the XC90 offers 15.8 cubic feet of cargo space. It jumps to 41.8 cubic feet with the third row folded. With both the second and third rows lowered, cargo volume measures 85.7 cubic feet.
Simulated leather upholstery is standard, as well as power-adjustable front seats. All models come with an auto-dimming rearview mirror that cuts headlight glare from approaching traffic during night drives.
Buyers can choose from a range of interior options. The list includes:
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Walnut wood inlays
- Heated and ventilated front seats with a massage feature
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated rear seats
- Crystal gearshift knob
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Volvo XC90?
Those who value modern tech features will like what the XC90 has to offer. Base models come with satellite radio, as well as Bluetooth that allows hands-free phone calls. All models come with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. These features allow you to integrate the XC90 with tablets and cell phones.
There’s a wide selection of optional tech features, including:
- Harman Kardon audio system
- Head-up display
- Fifteen-speaker Bowers & Wilkins audio system
- Integrated navigation system
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Volvo XC90?
Volvo has long led the charge when it comes to automotive safety. This is reflected in the XC90’s wide range of standard driver-assist features. All models come with:
- Drowsy-driver monitoring: Sensors detect that driver is distracted or fatigued, and provides an alert
- Road sign recognition: Reads road signs and conveys speed-limit info on the dash
- Forward collision mitigation with detection for pedestrians, large animals, vehicles and cyclists: Prevents accidents by automatically deploying the brakes if sensors detect that a collision is near
- Blind-spot monitoring: Helps driver make safer lane changes by issuing an alert if there’s a vehicle in the blind spot
- Lane-keeping assist: If the XC90 ventures out of its lane, system helps steer it back on its correct path
- Pilot Assist: Semi-autonomous system steers Volvo to keep it centered in its lane, and it helps it maintain a set distance behind the vehicle ahead
Buyers can upgrade the XC90 with a surround-view camera. This uses a series of cameras to give the driver a top-down, 360-degree view of the terrain around the vehicle.
Automated parking assist is also offered. It steers the XC90 into and out of parallel and perpendicular parking spaces.
What Is the 2019 Volvo XC90 Like to Drive?
Volvo gives XC90 buyers a choice of three powertrains: T5, T6, and T8:
- T5 models use a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine good for 250 horsepower.
- T6 gets a turbocharged and supercharged 2.0-liter engine that provides 316 horsepower.
- T8 models are plug-in hybrids that pair the T6’s engine with an electric motor for a net output of 400 horsepower.
All XC90 crossovers use an eight-speed automatic transmission. With T5 and T6 models, both front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive are offered. The plug-in hybrid comes solely with all-wheel drive.
Behind the wheel, the XC90 feels spirited and responsive. Some models in this segment can feel isolated in daily driving, but this Volvo keeps the connection between the driver and the road.
Know that this performance comes with suspension tuning that’s a bit on the firm side. If you favor a plush ride quality, you’ll prefer other choices in this segment.
With just 250 horsepower, theXC90’s base T5 powertrain isn’t as brawny as base-model choices from rival brands. The Acura MDX’s base engine delivers 290 horsepower. We’d suggest stepping up to the XC90 T6, which delivers swift acceleration.
When it comes to towing, the XC90 can pull up to 5,000 pounds.
The T8 plug-in hybrid is able to cruise for up to 17 miles using just its electric motor. The EPA rates this model’s mileage at 58 MPGe combined city/highway with the electric motor in use, and 25 mpg combined with just the gas engine.
Gas-only XC90 crossovers earn fuel economy of up to 24 mpg combined.
Should I Buy a New Volvo XC90?
The Volvo XC90 delivers engaging handling and chic design. It’s a top choice for drivers seeking a midsize luxury SUV that rates highly in style and performance.
Should I Buy a Used Volvo XC90? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Volvo’s XC90 was redesigned in 2015. This change brought in a new look, a larger interior and a wider range of driver-assist features. Select a 2015 or newer model if these updates sound good to you.
How Much Does the New Volvo XC90 Cost?
The XC90’s base Momentum trim starts at $47,700. This pricing is competitive among rival models.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Volvo XC90
- Responsive handling
- Stylish cabin
- Elegant exterior design
- Wide selection of standard driver-assist features
- Generous cargo capacity
- Firmer ride quality than some rivals
- No V6 engine option
- Base engine has less power than some rivals
The History of the Volvo XC90
The XC90 debuted back in 2003. It received its first and only redesign in 2016. This left the crossover with enhanced styling, roomier accommodations and a broader range of standard features. Also, a plug-in hybrid joined the lineup in 2016.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Volvo XC90
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L 16V Inline 4-Cylinder Turbo Drive-E
- 250 - 258 hp
- 8-Speed Geartronic Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Wifi Hotspot
- Engine: 2.0L 16V Inline 4-Cylinder Turbo Drive-E
- Transmission: 8-Speed Geartronic Automatic -inc: start/stop and adaptive shift
- GVWR: 5,798 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Geartronic Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.33 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 80-Amp/Hr 800CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 210 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Transverse Leaf Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 19" 5-Spoke Black Alloy
- Tires: P235/55R19 Continental All Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Laminated Glass 1st And 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Bodyside Cladding
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Wiper Park
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Composite/Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front And Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: High Performance Audio System -inc: 220-watt audio w/10 speakers including subwoofer, 9" Volvo Sensus touchscreen display, Bluetooth connectivity w/audio streaming, SiriusXM satellite radio w/3-month trial subscription, smartphone integration (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), 2 front USB connectors, voice control and WiFi hotspot w/complimentary trial subscription
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Graphic Equalizer
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Digital Signal Processor
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Comfort Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power front seats w/power lumbar and driver seat memory
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed Bucket Bucket Leatherette 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Fold Into Floor, 2 Power and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Proximity Cargo Access
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Voice Activated Dual Zone Front And Rear Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Door Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Console Insert and Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Leatherette Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Bin, Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Console, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Anti-Whiplash Fixed Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- DSTC/RSC Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Rear Park Assist Rear Parking Sensors
- BLIS Blind Spot Sensor
- City Safety and Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane Keeping Aid/Run-off Road Mitigation Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Aid/Run-off Road Mitigation Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Power Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera