Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Stylish, contemporary good looks both inside and out
- Top-rated for safety
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard
- Great handling
- Alternative purchasing options
Volvo XC40: Everything You Need to Know
About the Volvo XC40
The Volvo XC40 is all new for 2019. It is the first small SUV or crossover that Volvo has launched in the U.S. and has room for five people.
The XC40 sits below the larger XC60 and XC90 SUVs in Volvo’s line up. It offers all-wheel drive, a wide variety of safety features as standard, and comes in an attractive and affordable package with some unique alternative ownership options.
Volvo is a Swedish company that is a subsidiary of the Chinese car company, Geely.
Geely bought Volvo in 2010, and the XC40 is the first vehicle built on the CMA Platform. This platform was created jointly by Geely and Volvo.
The Volvo XC40 is built in Belgium and China.
What’s New in the 2019 Volvo XC40?
Everything about the 2019 Volvo XC40 is brand new. This is the first model year of this small crossover.
With the new vehicle, Volvo announced a new form of ownership called “Care By Volvo.” This option allows those who want an XC40 to subscribe to a plan for around $700 per month. There are no down payments, no negotiating and you can upgrade to a new Volvo in as little as 12 months. Volvo was one of the first automakers to launch a subscription-based ownership platform for its vehicles. The program was announced in 2018 with the launch of the XC40.
The Volvo XC40 comes with one engine variant, a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder, with two different outputs and configurations. In both cases, they get an eight-speed automatic transmission. The engine variants includeinclude:
- T5 which makes 248 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This version is all-wheel drive.
- T4 makes 187 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. This is front-wheel drive.
The EPA estimates that the 2019 Volvo XC40 T5 gets 23 miles per gallon in the city and 31 miles per gallon on the highway.
The Volvo XC40 T4 gets 23 miles per gallon in the city and 33 miles per gallon on the highway, according to the EPA.
There will be a hybrid and an all-electric version of the Volvo XC40 in the future, according to Volvo.
What Does the Volvo XC40 Compete With?
The Volvo XC40 competes with the following small luxury SUVs and crossovers:
The Volvo XC40 is great for new families, people who want a unique and new way to own a small SUV, and for individuals who live in places where all-wheel drive is necessary.
Exterior Design of the Volvo XC40
The 2019 Volvo XC40 is the first generation of the Volvo XC40, and it gets a really modern and good-looking exterior.
The Volvo XC40 comes in three different trim levels:
Each different trim gets a variety of options on the exterior including:
- 18- or 19-inch wheels
- LED headlights
- Automatic wipers
- Power adjustable driver’s seat
- Various paint schemes and combinations based on the level of trim you choose. You can even choose a contrasting roof color in some versions.
The Volvo XC40 is angular yet refined, and the designer of the Volvo XC40 describes the car as a “tough little robot.” It tends to appeal to those with a contemporary sense of design.
The Volvo XC40 has sharp hood creases and angular lines all over the exterior, but Volvo’s design language is still apparent in the brand-new vehicle. For example, up front, the well-recognized "Thor's hammer" style headlights are surrounded by a concave grille. LED headlights are standard on the Volvo XC40.
Interior Style in the Volvo XC40
The interior of the Volvo XC40 melds form and function into one simple, but beautiful style.
Depending on the trim level you get, you can choose from an option of faux-suede or leather, and there are tons of small details like diamond stitching and wood trim around the cabin. While some complain that the seats (both front and back) in the XC40 are uncomfortable, we have never had a problem with them.
There are plenty of cubbies for storage all around the car, and Volvo offers neat optional additional rear-storage. The cargo floor folds up to create a boxed off area against the rear seat. You also get a 60/40 rear folding seat.
The Volvo XC40 comes standard at the Momentum level with:
- Leather upholstery
- Power driver’s seat
- Power tailgate
- Automatic climate control
What Technology Comes in the Volvo XC40?
The Volvo XC40 comes nearly fully loaded, as standard, with a variety of convenient technology. Items include:
- 12.3-inch configurable digital dash display that automatically adjusts based on ambient light
- 9-inch touchscreen infotainment display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wifi hotspot
- USB ports in front and back
Volvo’s Sensus system comes as standard on the XC40 and while it can be a bit tricky to get used to, it does become intuitive once you understand how it works. The system looks a lot like a large iPad in the dash and offers everything from optional navigation to phone connectivity and radio options.
You can also optionally share your XC40 with friends and family through the Volvo on Call app. This allows them to have access to your car using their smartphone and a digital key.
What Safety Features are in the Volvo XC40?
Volvo has a reputation for safety, and the XC40 carries that reputation on.
The 2019 Volvo XC40 is an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has not yet rated the XC40.
The Volvo XC40 comes with standard safety features including:
- Lane-keeping assist
- Automatic emergency braking
- Road sign recognition
- City Safety: A system that keeps an eye out for other vehicles, animals, cyclists, and people to warn you if a collision is imminent. The XC40 will brake for you if you don’t stop in time to avoid the crash.
- Run-off Road Mitigation: This system can tell if you are about to leave the road by accident. It modulates the brakes and steering wheel for you to keep you on the road.
What is the Volvo XC40 Like to Drive?
The Volvo XC40 is fun to drive, offers excellent outward visibility and has a lot of spunk in the engine. While the engine may seem small, it provides more than enough power to get you up to highway speeds comfortably and the smooth eight-speed transmission doesn’t hunt or jostle you in stop and go traffic.
Some reviewers have complained about the front collision system being overly sensitive but, in our test drive, we didn't experience any problems with it. Additionally, some reviewers have complained about a relatively noisy cabin, but at highway speeds, the XC40 is no louder than its competition.
The ride quality in the XC40 is also surprisingly good. It absorbs bumps and undulations in the road without being uncomfortable, but it simultaneously feels well-connected. The XC40 is surprisingly nimble whether you are pushing it on a twisting road or just trying to get it into a tight parking spot at the grocery store.
Overall, we were really impressed by the Volvo XC40. It truly is one “tough little robot.”
Should I Buy a 2019 Volvo XC40?
Yes, we think that the 2019 Volvo XC40 is a definite buy. The 2019 Volvo XC90 is a fantastic small SUV that is nimble, fuel, efficient, fun to drive, has great design and tons of unique storage space for all those little things you need in your car.
Additionally, Volvo is offering a car subscription service for the Volvo XC40. It's a unique and new way to "own" a vehicle with less of the hassle, and it's likely the future of car ownership.
Should I buy a Used Volvo XC40?
Since the 2019 Volvo XC40 is the first of its kind and hit the U.S. market for the first time as a 2018 model. As a result, there are very few used Volvo XC40s on the market.
How Much Does the Volvo XC40 Cost?
The 2019 Volvo XC40 starts at $34,659 including destination for the T4 version. It increases to $35,700 for the T5 all-wheel-drive version.
The R-Design starts around $36,200, and the Inscription version begins around $39,000.
In any form, we highly recommend checking out the BMW X3 as a great small SUV that sets the standard for the segment.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Volvo XC40
- Affordable and good looking
- Volvo safety features are ample and top-rated
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Small cargo area
- Touchscreen isn’t that intuitive and takes some getting used to
- Some complaints about seat comfort both in front and back seats
- Some think that the cabin is noisy
The History of the Volvo XC40: Safe, Good-Looking, Unique
The Volvo XC40 is Volvo’s first small crossover. It was designed to target younger buyers in urban settings and made its debut as a concept in 2016.
It's contemporary design, safety features, and unique use of innovative storage space has made it a favorite amongst reviewers and owners alike. Volvo also offers a unique subscription model to own an XC40 and is one of the first manufacturers to do so.
Volvo is known for pioneering safety in its vehicles and created the first three-point seatbelts in the 1960s. They continue that trend with the XC40 which is packed with safety features as standard.
The XC40 has only been on the market a year, but it was awarded the European Car of the Year at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Volvo XC40
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L 16V DI I4 Turbocharged
- 187 hp
- 8-Speed Geartronic Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Wifi Hotspot
- Engine: 2.0L 16V DI I4 Turbocharged -inc: start/stop
- Transmission: 8-Speed Geartronic Automatic -inc: adaptive shift
- GVWR: 4,759 lbs (2159 kg)
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.33 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 925lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Transverse Leaf Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" 5-Spoke Silver Alloy
- Tires: 235/55R18 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM/HD -inc: Volvo Sensus Connect w/9" touchscreen, WiFi hotspot w/complimentary trial, 250W high performance audio system w/8 speakers including air woofer technology, Smartphone integration (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto), voice control, Bluetooth connectivity w/audio streaming, SiriusXM satellite radio w/3-month complimentary audio trial subscription and 2 front/1 rear USB ports
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Regular Amplifier
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Comfort Seats -inc: 8-way power driver seat w/memory and 4-way power lumbar
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Cushion Tilt
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Voice Activated Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black/Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum Door Panel Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- T-Tec Textile Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- DSTC/RSC Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- City Safety
- Lane Keeping Aid/Run-off Road Mitigation Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Aid/Run-off Road Mitigation Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Power Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Park Assist Back-Up Camera