Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Powerful engines available in three choices
- High-end interior design and materials
- Comfortable seating
- Spacious cabin
- Excellent functionality in a sedan
2019 Volvo S90: Everything You Need to Know
About the 2019 Volvo S90:
The 2019 Volvo S90 midsize luxury sedan spearheaded the Swedish automaker’s revival.
After a three-year stint in the late 1990s, the nameplate re-entered the market for the 2017 model year. It is a powerful and luxurious five-passenger car. The S90 competes against many better-known German and Japanese luxury brands.
What’s New in the 2019 Volvo S90?
The Volvo S90 debuted in 2017. It received several standard features the following year. These include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity. Blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, and rear cross traffic alert are standard.
For the 2019 model year, Volvo replaced leather seating with synthetic leather. But it added heated windshield wipers and a universal garage door opener.
The 2019 Volvo S90 is offered in two trims: Momentum and Inscription. Unlike other automotive brands, Volvo customers first choose a powertrain - base T5, mid-range T6 or hybrid - and then pick a trim.
What Does the 2019 Volvo S90 Compete With?
The 2019 Volvo S90’s top competitors include:
The Volvo S90 may lack performance compared to a Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, or Lexus. But the Swedish car makes up for it with its high-end interior. The cabin features a modern design with high-quality materials, ample head- and legroom, and comfortable seats.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Volvo S90
The Volvo S90 sports a sleek, aerodynamic design. It has dramatic lines, sharp creases, and a bold grille. There are dual integrated tail pipes. The car comes with LED head- and taillights and a sunroof laminated to cut road and wind noise. This add to the luxury feel of the S90.
Exterior colors include Bright Silver, Crystal White, Magic Blue, Mussel Blue, Onyx Black, Osmium Gray, and Black Stone.
Interior Style in the 2019 Volvo S90
The 2019 Volvo S90 aims for serenity and luxury. Volvo uses high-end materials throughout the S90’s quiet cabin for a sleek, refined look. Wide windows allow for clear visibility and natural light.
Seating in the 2019 Volvo S90 features plush cushioning, ample support and a choice of upholstery. All models come with dual-zone automatic climate control and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob.
The five-passenger sedan provides plenty of head- and legroom. Front seats get 14-way adjustable bucket seats. Synthetic leather upholstery is standard. Buyers can upgrade to leather upholstery. Add-ons for T5 models include massage functions for the front seats and heated and ventilated seats in both rows.
Models with the T6 powertrain add a cooled glove box and four-zone automatic climate control. Seats are ventilated with Nappa leather upholstery. Hybrid versions include four-zone automatic climate control and a crystal shift knob.
The Volvo S90 features a roomy cargo area large enough to transport several bags of groceries or a few suitcases. Split 60/40 folding rear seats offer extra cargo space.
There is a wide range of upholstery choices, including light and dark colors. Leather, upgraded Nappa leather, and textile/vinyl are offered.
Technology: What Technology Comes in the 2019 Volvo S90?
A 12.3-inch digital display and a tablet-like 9-inch touchscreen anchors the dash. The automaker’s Sensus Connect infotainment system is challenging for first-time users. But it provides quick access to apps, a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, and navigation.
Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, voice command, and a USB port come standard. The surface of the center display is coated to reduce glare. The touchscreen responds even when wearing gloves.
All models come with satellite radio and a 10-speaker stereo system. A 13-speaker premium Harman Kardon stereo system is available.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Volvo S90?
Standard safety features in the 2019 Volvo S90 are many, befitting the brand. A rearview camera, rear parking sensors, and rear cross traffic alert assist parking. Lane departure, forward collision, lane keep, emergency braking and adaptive cruise help while driving. Rain-sensing windshield wipers are standard as well.
Buyers can add a surround-view camera, a head-up display, adaptive headlights, automatic high beams and park assist.
What is the 2019 Volvo S90 like to drive?
The 2019 Volvo S90 offers an impressive ride and smooth handling. It corners with the refinement of a luxury sedan, and its suspension absorbs bumps in the road. However the S90 lacks the sportiness found in German and Japanese competitors.
The 2019 Volvo S90 is offered in two trims: Momentum and Inscription. Each trim offers options for all-wheel drive and a hybrid powertrain.
The T5 base engine is a 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 250 horsepower. The mid-range T6 engine is a 2.0-liter, turbo and supercharged four-cylinder engine creating 316 horsepower. Hybrid versions are powered by a 2.0-liter, turbo four-cylinder with an electric motor. Combined output is 400 horsepower.
All engines are mated to a smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission.
Should I Buy a 2019 Volvo S90?
The 2019 Volvo S90 is a quality mid-sized luxury car for the money. It is well-equipped with standard and safety features not found in rival base models. What it lacks in driving excitement, it makes up for with its luxurious and comfortable cabin. If safety and comfort matter most, the 2019 Volvo S90 is a great choice.
Should I buy a Used Volvo S90? Are There Any I Should Avoid? The Volvo S90 was recently reintroduced in 2017. The 2017 and 2018 models retain their value well. But the 2018 model has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, and rear cross traffic alert. The 2018 model also received a wider wheelbase for nearly five more inches of legroom in the rear.
Since the 2019 model downgraded its standard leather upholstery to synthetic leather upholstery, buyers may receive more for their money with a used 2018 model.
How Much Does the 2019 Volvo S90 Cost?
The 2019 Volvo S90 base model - the T5 Momentum - begins at $47,350. Models equipped with all-wheel drive start at $49,850. Buyers can add leather upholstery for $1,400. Heated front seats and a heated steering wheel cost $750. A 13-speaker Harmon Kardon premium sound system adds $800.
The Advanced package with additional safety features such as a surround-view camera, automatic high beams and adaptive headlights costs $2,900. Upgrade to the T6 powertrain with the Momentum trim for $54,350. The Inscription trim for the T6 begins at $59,450. A $3,450 Luxury package comes with a heated steering wheel, massaging front seats, and heated and ventilated rear seats. An optional air suspension costs $1,200. The S90 Plug-In Hybrid T8 Momentum begins at $63,900. The top-of-the-line Plug-In Hybrid Inscription starts at $69,000. It is significantly more expensive than a gas-combustion S90, but the plug-in hybrid can travel 21 miles on battery power, which will save you money at the pump over time.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Volvo S90
- High-end interior with comfortable seating
- Long list of standard safety features
- Choice of powerful engines
- Available as a plug-in hybrid
- Refined ride not as dynamic as competitors
- Smaller cargo space
- Lower reliability ratings
The History of the Volvo S90: 3 years of the Volvo S90
Volvo introduced the original S90 to the U.S. market in 1997 as a boxy sedan but discontinued the model three years later. The Swedish brand resurrected the nameplate for the 2017 model year as a mid-size luxury sedan with sleek, curvy looks on the outside and a spa-like appearance on the inside.
Since 2017, the Volvo has added more standard technology and safety features to the S90, elongated its wheelbase for additional rear-seat legroom, reshuffled features among its several powertrain and trim combinations and downgraded its standard leather upholstery to synthetic.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Volvo S90
- Body Style
- 2.0L 16V I4 Supercharged Turbo
- 316 - 330 hp
- 8-Speed Geartronic Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L 16V I4 Supercharged Turbo -inc: start/stop
- Transmission: 8-Speed Geartronic Automatic -inc: adaptive shift
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- 3.20 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 80-Amp/Hr 800CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 210 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Transverse Leaf Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" Aero Alloy
- Tires: P245/45VR18 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Laminated Glass 1st And 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front And Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: High Performance Audio -inc: 9" integrated Sensus Connect touchscreen, SiriusXM radio w/complimentary audio trial, 10 speakers, 220-watt amp, smartphone integration (Apple CarPlay / Android Auto) and Bluetooth connectivity w/audio streaming
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and 12 Gb Internal Memory
- Performance Speakers
- Automatic Equalizer
- Digital Signal Processor
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Siriusxm Traffic Real-Time Traffic Display
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power front seats, 2-way power lumbar and driver seat memory
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Voice Activated Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Leather Seating Surfaces
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Door Panel Insert, Genuine Wood Console Insert and Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Sensus Navigation
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Anti-Whiplash Fixed Front Head Restraints and Power Foldable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- DSTC/RSC Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Volvo On-Call Emergency Sos
- Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- BLIS Blind Spot Sensor
- City Safety
- Lane Keeping Aid/Run-off Road Mitigation Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Aid/Run-off Road Mitigation Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Power Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Park Assist Back-Up Camera