Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- More humble styling compared to other EVs
- Cabin uses high-quality materials
- Premium cargo space
- Comfortable, quiet interior
- Standard DC fast charging
Volkswagen e-Golf: Efficiency in Disguise
The 2019 Volkswagen e-Golf is a neat package that doesn't immediately say it's electric due to unique styling. This is a plus for many. With all the practicality of its gasoline counterpart, the e-Golf runs on a perky powertrain strong enough to rival others.
Together, the 134-horsepower electric motor and the 35.8-kWh battery pack bring the hatchback 125 miles on a full charge. That distance is more than enough for the daily commuter.
Outside, the VW doesn't come with styling typical of other electric vehicles. This lack of flashiness can appeal to more introverted drivers.
The large trunk and cabin make it possible for four adults to sit comfortably for even longer than the battery lasts. Considering these factors, the 2019 Volkswagen e-Golf should make your shortlist for a new EV.
What's New for the 2019 Model Year?
This year, the price goes up a little from 2017 and 2018. However, there are more standard features in exchange.
The base trim comes with DC fast charging and access to the Driver Assistance package. The upscale SEL Premium now gets that package as standard, giving it adaptive cruise control and auto emergency braking.
It's hard not to love the e-Golf at first sight, but it’s even better from behind the wheel. You hardly need to think about what you're doing because of how effortless the drive feels. The EV benefits from good acceleration and regenerative braking, which has great judgment.
Plus, the design suits anyone who doesn't enjoy the over-the-top styling normally associated with electric cars. The e-Golf is like a well-pressed shirt in that way—simple, yet essential.
Premium Cabin Materials
You can only choose between two trim levels this time, but there are a few packages to add as well. Beyond this, the SE and SEL Premium models have near-identical cabins. Both sport comfortable, faux-leather seats from which you can enjoy ambient interior lighting.
From the inside out, this year's e-Golf feels well-assembled. Besides the seats, the door trim looks especially attractive. The dashboard is straightforward and isn’t too complicated for anyone.
Can the e-Golf Use Smartphones?
The VW comes standard with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across the board. To listen to music, you can also use the USB port to connect your phone or a memory stick. You can also connect an MP3 player through the auxiliary jack.
The Digital Cockpit
With a screen display of over 12 inches, the Volkswagen digital cockpit allows you to customize the metrics that you see in high resolution on your dashboard. This means that you can choose to view your speed, travel time, or even your current route all while you navigate the e-Golf.
You can also connect your smartphone or other compatible device to access all of your favorite apps that will provide you with maps, driving music, or whatever else that you need to see to make your journey easier and more enjoyable. With a motor that’s electric, why wouldn’t you want the cockpit to be high-tech electric too?
It should come as no surprise that a boxy hatchback has plenty of trunk and utility to offer. The electric vehicle comes with as much volume as its gasoline counterpart. This makes it a great choice even when compared to larger cars.
It's easy to find the lower anchors without frustration, and you'll find the tether hooks with as much ease. Lots of rear legroom allows for adult passengers to feel comfortable despite the big cushions. Children can also easily reach the back thanks to the squared rear roofline.
Comfortable Seating and Cabin
It's clear that Volkswagen had riders in mind when designing the electric Golf. It's easy to get in and out of this car.
There's more than enough room to spare, and you won't struggle to reach and figure out controls. The signature boxy shape is a design that helps achieve these goals.
Though two adult passengers fit easily in the backseat, adding a middle passenger will lead to a search for elbow and knee room. The rear seat bench could stand to have more cushion to it, too. Still, the electric Golf has one of the most comfortable rides for rear passengers on the market.
Plenty of Safety Features
A suite of driver-assistance features come standard on the SEL Premium trim level, but you can also add them to the base trim as a package. It's becoming more common to see this type of equipment as standard across the board, so it's good to see Volkswagen embracing that.
Automatic emergency braking systems detect if your vehicle is about to crash with another car. It will apply the brakes to try and mitigate or stop the crash if you don't respond quickly enough. Overall, the brakes respond well in tests.
Forward-collision warning monitors how fast you're driving as well as the speed of the person operating in front of you. With these values, the system determines how much distance is between both bodies. If you get too close too fast, the system alerts you.
Finally, adaptive cruise control also monitors vehicle distance, adjusting your speed as necessary.
Are the Brakes Strong?
In routine use, the brake pedal feels firm and delivers good feedback, which instills driver confidence. Pressing hard for a panic stop takes 128 feet to reach zero from 60 miles per hour, which is a good value but not the best in the segment. You can also access four levels of regenerative braking.
Those who seriously consider buying an electric car are rarely unaware of their limitations. For instance, most EVs take all night to recharge, and many don't have the same range that you'd get with a gasoline engine.
Because of this, most EVs work best for drivers who don't go very far or who don't regularly have to commute. The Volkswagen e-Golf, though, gives you the room to get to work and back, complete city errands, go to lunch off-campus, and take a few weekend trips with little concern.
The VW also works well as a second vehicle. It gives you the option to complete daily errands without nightly recharging while you use a gasoline vehicle for long-distance road trips. Otherwise, an EV can serve as your primary vehicle if you only go for long treks once a month.
As far as electric cars go, the Volkswagen electric Golf is one of the most normal ones you could get. That's a good thing—you know what you're getting when you look at it, and you know it's a safe choice. The pure electric 2019 Volkswagen e-Golf is as reliable as what its GTI gasoline counterpart offers, if not more.
This means that you aren’t compromising the vehicle’s performance when you decide to buy an electric car. What’s even better is that you’re using a vehicle that is better for the environment than most gasoline-powered options. The Volkswagen e-Golf is versatile and eco-responsible while still being affordable and sporty.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Volkswagen e-Golf
- The cabin is functional and practical
- DC fast charging is standard across the board
- Perky powertrain underneath the hood
- Great handling and a fun drive
- Good outward view
- Battery capacity could have better numbers
- Lagging infotainment system
- Questionable overall value for the segment
Volkswagen e-Golf Model History
In 2013, Volkswagen revealed the production version of the 2015 e-Golf. Four years later, the German automaker announced it would update its newest e-Golf, improving its range, power and fuel economy, effectively doubling its efficiency. Few changes made it to the 2019 Volkswagen e-Golf, giving it the same power it's had for the last two years.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Volkswagen e-Golf
- Body Style
- 100KW 134HP ZEV Electric
- 134 hp
- Single-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 100KW 134HP ZEV Electric -inc: 35.8 kWh lithium-ion battery Only available to customers in these states/localities: CA, CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, OR, PA, RI, VT and WA.
- Transmission: Single-Speed Automatic
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.61 Axle Ratio
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery w/7.2 kW Onboard Charger, 26 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V, 3.7 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V and0.5 Hr Charge Time @ 440V
- Wheels: 16" Split 5-Spoke Diamond-Turned -inc: Aerodynamic alloy
- Tires: 16" Low Rolling-Resistance All-Season
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Front Windshield -inc: Electrically Heated Glass
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Composition Media w/8" Touchscreen -inc: AM/FM/HD Radio, WMA/MP3/FLAC/CD player, USB input, voice control, 8-speaker sound system, VW Car-Net App-Connect smartphone integration and interface w/Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink, VW Car-Net security and service connected car service w/limited-time trial subscription, Bluetooth connectivity for compatible devices and SiriusXM satellite radio w/limited trial subscription
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Integrated Roof Diversity Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Heated Comfort Front Seats -inc: 8-way partial-power front seats w/power recline, manual lumbar support, seat travel and height adjustment
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Keyfob Charge Port Door
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Glovebox, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Side Curtain Protection Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera