Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Fun retro styling
- Practical hatchback design
- Fuel efficient
- Comfortable to drive
- Convertible available
Volkswagen Beetle: Everything You Need to Know
About the Volkswagen Beetle:
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle is the updated version of one of the German brand's most iconic models. It packages retro nostalgia in a modern car with looks that call back to the original 1930s Beetle. 2019 is the last model year for the current Beetle.
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle combines fun styling with a fuel-efficient engine and a practical design, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle?
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle introduces two new Final Edition trim levels. They are meant to commemorate its final year of production.
The Final Edition SE trim includes a sunroof and body-color mirrors. The Final Edition SEL trim adds LED daytime running lights and LED taillights. Both of these trims feature special wheels. They can also be had in two unique colors: Stonewashed Blue and Safari Uni Beige
Both the Dune and the Coast versions of the Volkswagen Beetle have been eliminated for 2019. All Beetles, both coupe and convertible, are powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. It generates 174 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard.
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle returns fuel mileage of 26 mpg city and 33 mpg highway.
What Does the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle Compete With?
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle competes with the following vehicles:
- Volkswagen Golf
- Hyundai Elantra GT
- Mini Cooper
- Fiat 500
- Honda Civic hatchback
- Toyota Corolla hatchback
- Mazda 3 hatchback
The most popular version of the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle is the SE trim. It features keyless ignition and entry and dual automatic climate control. It also offers a large touchscreen infotainment system, a sunroof (for the coupe), and 17-inch wheels. Each of these features is a nice upgrade over the base S model.
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle is a good choice for style-seeking compact-car shoppers. The convertible is also the most affordable four-seat option available.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle features unmistakable styling. Its rounded profile is meant to simulate the original Beetle's humpback. Beefier fenders and a wide stance help update its image. It successfully combines the modern and the retro.
Convertible buyers may not be fans of the way the folded roof scrunches over the rear. This can look awkward from certain angles. On the other hand, it is reminiscent of the original Beetle’s folding top.
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle S offers 16-inch wheels as standard equipment. The Beetle SE steps up to 17-inch wheels and a sunroof. It also offers the option of 18-inch wheels, HID headlights, and LED taillights via the SE Premium package. The Final Edition SE includes its own unique 17-inch wheels, two special colors, and its own badging.
The Volkswagen Beetle Final Edition SEL combines the SE Premium package and Final Edition SE in terms of equipment. To this it adds 18-inch wheels.
Interior Style in the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle
There are no major changes to the interior finish of the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle. The cabin is well turned out, although it does lacks some of the tech upgrades found in Volkswagen’s Golf and Jetta. There's also a lot of painted plastic inside the Beetle, in contrast to other VW models.
The SEL trim level includes Nappa leather with an attractive diamond stitch pattern. The imitation leather found in the SE is still quite good in terms of look and feel. Base models come with cloth upholstery.
Front-seat riders have good interior space to stretch out in. The rear seats are more of a squeeze, but they’re easier to access in the convertible than in the coupe. LATCH attachments are provided for child seats.
When it comes to cargo, the hatchback of the coupe boasts a respectable amount of storage space. You can expand it by folding the back seat. The convertible makes do with a tiny trunk that's not nearly as useful. You'll most likely be storing luggage in the rear seat. There's also not a lot of room for purses or phones inside the cockpit.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle?
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle rides on an older platform. This keeps the level of technology that it has to offer fairly modest.
The 2019 Beetle comes standard with such features as:
- 5.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Bluetooth connectivity
- USB port
- rearview camera
Available tech features include:
- Navigation system
- Satellite radio
- 6.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 400-watt Fender premium audio system
- Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle?
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle does not have a lot to offer in terms of active safety features. Most of its rivals provide better advanced safety systems.
Blind-spot monitoring is standard on the Beetle. This feature keeps an eye on traffic on either side of the car and alerts the driver to its presence. Also standard is rear cross-traffic alert, which sounds a warning if traffic present while backing up.
What is the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle Like to drive?
There are two distinctly different 2019 Volkswagen Beetle driving experiences.
The first is that provided by the coupe. It’s compact and easy to drive through traffic, yet comfortable in terms of suspension setup. It feels modern and competent. Volkswagen has largely tuned the sportiness out of the Beetle's bloodline by this point. If you want a more engaging drive, then a new Golf is a better bet. But if you're seeking a relaxed commuter car with a bit of style, the Volkswagen Beetle coupe delivers.
The Beetle convertible is more fun. With the top down, it’s easier to forgive the somewhat slow four-cylinder engine. The soft-top version of the Beetle maintains the calm and composed character of the coupe. It's unlikely that you will notice its slightly softer handling, given that it's not the kind of car one would push hard in the first place. The cabin of the convertible is also surprisingly calm, even when traveling at highway speeds.
Should I Buy a 2019 Volkswagen Beetle?
There are two reasons why you should buy the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle: you are in love with the styling, and you want an inexpensive four-seat convertible. These features are exclusive to the Beetle. For everything else, the competition is almost always a more modern option.
Should I buy a Used Volkswagen Beetle?
The Volkswagen Beetle has been largely the same since the current generation was introduced for the 2012 model year. Older versions can be had with a manual transmission, as well as diesel engines and more powerful gasoline powerplants. There can be some reliability issues associated with older Beetles, but they’re not generally a deal-breaker.
How Much Does the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle Cost?
The 2019 Volkswagen Beetle coupe starts at $21,790. The top-trim Final Edition SEL moves up to a starting price of $30,890. These prices include a destination charge of $895.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle
- Iconic design
- Fuel-sipping engine
- Less expensive than other four-seat convertibles
- Comfortable cabin and ride
- More expensive than other compact hatchbacks
- Limited safety equipment
- Modest technology features
- Convertible cargo space is small
The History of the Volkswagen Beetle: 81 years of the Beetle
For the last eight decades, there has been a version of the Volkswagen Beetle being manufactured somewhere in the world. When designed in the 1930s, it was originally intended as an inexpensive car that anyone could afford. By the 1960s it had morphed into the face of the counterculture and had become a symbol of affordable transportation.
In the late 1990s a new version of the Beetle appeared that would simulate the original look but modernize its driving experience. The current version of the Beetle debuted in 2012 and is the second, and final, generation of that revised vehicle.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Volkswagen Beetle
- Body Style
- 2.0L TSI 174 HP DOHC 16V Turbo 4-Cylinder
- 174 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L TSI 174 HP DOHC 16V Turbo 4-Cylinder -inc: direct injection
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic -inc: sport mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.23 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 60-Amp/Hr 330CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 140 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 16" 10-Spoke Alloy
- Tires: 16" AS
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Body-Colored Bodyside Moldings and Chrome Bodyside Insert
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps
- Radio: AM/FM 5" Touchscreen w/CD Player -inc: Composition Color, USB input, 8-speaker sound system and Bluetooth connectivity
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Window Grid And Roof Mount Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Seats -inc: 6-way manual front seats w/height adjustment and 2nd row easy access
- Bucket Front Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 50-50 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Tixo Cloth Seating Surfaces
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- kaeferfach Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Blind Spot Monitor Blind Spot Sensor
- and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera