Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Improved road-ready equipment with updated TRD Pro trim
- A high-mounted TRD Pro "snorkel" air intake
- Additional USB charge ports across all trims
- TRD Off-road Control or CRAWL that improves movement on tough terrain
- Toyota Safety Sense
The 2019 Toyota Tacoma 4WD is a rugged pickup truck that also works as a personal vehicle. Ever since the Tacoma was first launched in 1995, the model has slowly gained popularity in the American market.
Many consumers appreciate the model's durability. You can expect this truck to last for many years after your purchase. The Tacoma is among the top-selling models in the midsize truck class.
The exterior of the Tacoma puts a unique spin on the traditional pickup truck design. The devil is in the details. If you want an affordable off-road truck with amazing ground clearance, this is it.
The 2019 Toyota Tacoma comes equipped with either a 3.5-liter V-6 engine with rear/four-wheel drive or a 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine with standard four-wheel drive. Most 2019 Toyota models also come with a three-year, 36,000-mile basic warranty.
What’s New for the Toyota Tacoma 4WD?
Designers made the original Toyota Tacoma 4WD to give the driver a high-performance ride experience as well as great safety features and payload capacity. Since the 2019 Toyota follows in this vein, it doesn't feature any major changes. However, there are some new features.
One of the new inclusions is the updated TRD Pro trim, which comes with additional off-road-ready equipment. One of its top features is a high-mounted snorkel that's perfect for long desert trips. The TRD Pro also features a double rather than an Access cab.
In addition, you'll find two additional USB charge ports across all 2019 trims.
Many Differences across Trim Levels
The 2019 Tacoma is available in six trim levels: SR, SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, Limited, and TRD Pro. The trims are available in two options: a four-seater access cab or a five-seater double cab.
There is also more than one type of configuration to suit your needs. If you go for the TRD trim options, you get sport suspension as standard.
The TRD road capability is further enhanced by a V-6 engine that gives off more power and allows the vehicle to sprint from zero to 60 mph in 8.1 seconds. This is quite fast for a pickup truck.
The TRD also has sport suspension and shock absorbers. However, if you like to go off-road, it makes more sense to go for the TRD off-road sport version. This model has the terrain select and crawl control feature to allow the tires to move more smoothly on rugged surfaces.
As for the SR trim options, the SR5 has more features. On top of the Toyota Safety sense feature, the SR5 has a smart GPS system, fog lights, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and keyless entry as standard features. Alloy wheels are also standard.
How Do the Double and Access Cabs Differ?
The difference between the Double and Access cab is about 1 foot. While the former comes with a 6-foot-1-inch bed, the latter has a shorter 5-foot bed.
Regardless of the trim level, you won't have to search for the bed or struggle for access. It's easy to get on the bed because it has short edges.
The Exterior Design of the Toyota Tacoma 4WD
The new Tacoma 4WD hasn’t changed much when it comes to appearance; the vehicle still maintains its rugged look. It has an embossed tailgate with the Tacoma logo broadly displayed. All vehicles, regardless of the trim level, come equipped with projector beam headlights to improve visibility at night.
The SR trim vehicles have a large dark-gray grille with black surround. As for the TRD trim, these vehicles feature a gray grille that has a smoked finish and chrome surround. The 2019 Toyota Limited trim has a silver grille.
Overall, the Tacoma is available in nine different colors. These include several different metallic variations.
The Interior Design of the Toyota Tacoma 4WD
The Tacoma 4WD comes in different body styles, which explains the variation in the seating capacity. While the Access Cab will allow up to four people, the Double Cab can sit up to five.
The interior has cloth upholstery. However, there’s an available option with heated front seats and leather upholstery.
The front seats will offer enough room and comfort. As for rear seats, the Double Cab offers more space than the Access Cab. All Tacoma models also come equipped with two latch connectors to secure child car seats.
What Kind of Technology Comes with Toyota Tacoma 4WD?
The Toyota Tacoma 4WD has some impressive modern tech features. This includes a standard Entune infotainment system. Some of the other standard features include:
- 6.1-inch touch screen
- Siri Eyes Free
- A six-speaker stereo
- Three USB ports
The premium tech and comfort features include:
- Scout GPS Link (smartphone-integrated navigation)
- A built-in navigation system
- HD Radio
- Satellite radio
- A JBL sound system
- Wireless device charging
- An upgraded Entune system with a 7-inch touch screen
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- A push-button start
- Remote and proximity keyless entry
What Kind of Safety Features Are in the Toyota Tacoma 4WD?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration carried out rollover crash tests for the 2019 Toyota and gave it an overall score of 4 out of 5. The double models received a perfect 5 rating for best overall safety during a side crash.
Some of the standard safety features found in these vehicles include:
- Toyota’s Safety Sense suite and a rearview camera
- Automatic high beams
- A pre-collision warning
- An automatic braking system
- Pedestrian detection
- Lane departure warning
- Adaptive cruise control
How Is the Driving Experience with the Toyota Tacoma?
Whether you drive the double or single cab, you can expect improved comfort in your 2019 Tacoma. The cabin is quiet and eliminates most annoying road noises. Furthermore, designers arranged the seats so they won't interfere with your driving.
The model also has a decent fuel consumption rate. The base model of the Tacoma records an estimated 20 mpg within the city and 23 mpg on the highway road. The V-6 engine consumes 19 mpg and 24 mpg in the city and on the highway, respectively.
What Are the Benefits of Buying a New Toyota Tacoma 4WD?
The new Tacoma is part of the third generation originally introduced back in 2015. Despite the fact there are no new major updates, the inclusion of the TRD Pro trim makes the Tacoma an exceptional off-road machine and a worthy buy.
The good thing about buying a new Tacoma is that you won't have to worry about additional service maintenance right away. You'll just sign the purchase contract with your dealer and drive off with a Toyota that has "zero" mileage. Of course, those who are looking for more bargaining power with the dealer will want to consider buying a used, older model Toyota Tacoma 4WD.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
- Proficient off-road capabilities
- User-friendly infotainment system
- High payload capacity
- Class-leading predicted reliability rating
- Impressive fuel consumption for a pickup truck
- Relatively low towing capacity
- Few upscale interior features
Toyota released the first generation of Tacoma models in 1995 after the company decided to remove the Hilux from the American market. Toyota chose "Tacoma" as a reference to the Native American name for Mt. Rainier in Washington state.
This initial generation sold well with younger buyers. Toyota introduced a popular two-wheel drive PreRunner model with higher suspension in 1998. First-generation Tacoma models ceased production in 2004.
Toyota released the second generation, which was bigger and had a three-cab option, in 2005. The X-Runner replaced the S-Runner trim from the first generation. Toyota stopped developing the second generation vehicles in 2015.
Toyota unveiled Tacoma's third generation in 2015 at the Detroit Auto Show. This generation, which is still in production, introduced a more masculine look for the Toyota Tacoma 4WD.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
- Body Style
- Access Cab
- 2.7L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve
- 159 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Four Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.7L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve -inc: cast iron block w/aluminum alloy head and VVT-i
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic -inc: electronically controlled w/intelligence
- Axle Ratio: 4.30
- GVWR: 5,600 lbs
- Electronic Transfer Case
- Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 1 Skid Plate
- 1380# Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Auto Locking Hubs
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Leaf Rear Suspension w/Leaf Springs
- Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 16" x 7J Style Steel Disc
- Tires: P245/75R16 AS
- Regular Composite Box Style
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Sliding Rear Window
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Reverse Opening Rear Doors
- Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
- Manual Tailgate/Rear Door Lock
- Integrated Storage
- Auto Off Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo -inc: 6 speakers, 7" touch-screen display, auxiliary port, USB media port, Siri eyes free, advanced voice recognition, Bluetooth hands-free phone capability, phone book access, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, SiriusXM and music streaming
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way adjustable front seats w/driver lumbar support
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- Jump Front Facing Fold-Up Cushion Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer and Trip Odometer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Wi-Fi Connect with up to 2GB within 3-month trial Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Fabric Seat Trim (FB)
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, Rear Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Instrument Panel Bin, Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins and 2nd Row Underseat Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Safety Connect with 1-year trial Emergency Sos
- Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P)
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags w/Passenger Off Switch
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera