Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- TRD Off-road packages
- Well-appointed and rugged interior
- The best-selling mid-size pickup truck
- Inexpensive starting price
2019 Toyota Tacoma: Everything You Need to Know
About the Toyota Tacoma:
The 2019 Toyota Tacoma is a mid-size pickup truck manufactured in Mexico and the United States and made by the Japanese company, Toyota. Over the course of its three generations, the Toyota Tacoma has become the best-selling mid-size pickup truck in the U.S. market.
The Toyota Tacoma is available in two or four door versions with either two-wheel or four-wheel drive. Customers choose between a 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine or a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a manual or automatic six speed transmission. There is a wide range of factory options available, too.
What’s New in the 2019 Toyota Tacoma?
Toyota’s third-generation Tacoma debuted in 2016, so there are minimal updates for the 2019 model year.
New features for 2019 Toyota Tacoma are modest at best. They include a new blacked-out SX appearance package with black accents on 16-inch alloy wheels, side mirror caps, door handles, and grille.
The Tacoma TRD Pro adds a new desert air intake, moonroof, and a JBL Premium Audio stereo system only available for the automatic Tacoma. All 2019 Toyota Tacomas receive two extra USB ports.
The 2019 Toyota Tacoma is available in 32 different configurations based on five base variants. This gives Tacoma buyers many personalization options. The basic Tacoma can be broken down into its five variants:
- Toyota Tacoma SR: Base Toyota Tacoma.
- Toyota Tacoma SR5: Slightly uprated Tacoma with a number of options.
- Toyota Tacoma Limited: Luxury-focused Tacoma with several optional extras as standard.
- Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport: Off-road ready Tacoma. Standard V6 engine and automatic transmission. Available manual transmission.
- Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro: Higher spec off-road Tacoma. Standard Fox Racing shocks and a number of Toyota Racing Development (TRD) parts deliver the most capable off-road Tacoma available.
No new colors are available for 2019, but Toyota’s list of optional hues accent the Tacoma’s ruggedness well.
What Does the Toyota Tacoma Compete With?
The Toyota Tacoma competes with the following mid-size trucks:
The mid-size pickup truck market wasn’t competitive for a number of years. In that time, Toyota’s Tacoma dominated the market and built a loyal following. However, the mid-size pickup segment was revitalized by the relaunch in 2014 of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. These trucks gave buyers an opportunity to downsize from full-size pickups and challenged Toyota’s reign for the first time.
Exterior Design of the Toyota Tacoma
Toyota redesigned the Tacoma in 2016, making it larger and giving it a more aggressive exterior. The 2019 Tacoma sticks with that trend.
The Tacoma’s hexagon grille with a large “T” emblem is distinctive. The grille, which also is an air intake, has sharp, hawk-like headlights that flow into fender wells. Below the headlights and grille are a set of fog lights and a tapered chin gives the Tacoma its impressive off-road approach angle.
The sides and rear of the truck are much more basic. The design provides a simpler approach so the third-generation Tacoma should age better than its competitors. The rear of the truck has a wide, stepped bumper and a tailgate with “Tacoma” embellished across it.
Toyota offers seven wheel designs for the Tacoma, ranging from 16- to 18-inches in diameter, as well as 16-inch Beadlock off-road alloy wheels in Bronze, Gray, or Matte Black.
Interior Design of the Toyota Tacoma
The Tacoma’s interior is simple, rugged, and well laid out. Everyday functions such as changing the radio, making a call, or adjusting the air conditioning are easy to do.
Cabin space in the Tacoma is good. The front seat has two four-way captain’s chairs with adjustable lumbar support. Heated seats and leather are upgrade options.
The buttons on the steering wheel controls the radio, voice commands, and access to a variety of vehicle information. Lane departure and forward collision avoidance buttons are also on the wheel.
Tacoma’s push-button starter and touchscreen displays (available in 6.1-inch or 7.0 inch) are on the dash. Both manual and automatic transmission gear selectors sit below the dash in between the front seats.
Forward visibility is good thanks to the broad windshield. However, the side and rear windows are small and may have blind spots for some drivers.
What Technology Comes With the 2019 Toyota Tacoma?
While Toyota’s mid-size pickup remains the best-selling in its class, the current third-generation Tacoma lags its competitors in technology improvements. That said, the 2019 Toyota Tacoma offers a number of key technologies that simplify daily driving.
With the Tacoma’s penchant for off-road prowess, the mid-size pickup also includes:
- Tow/Haul Mode with Downhill Speed Control.
- Locking differential.
- Multi-Terrain Select System.
- Hill Start Assist.
- Crawl Control.
- Trailer Sway Control. As standard, the Toyota Tacoma comes with a 6.1-inch touchscreen display. The system includes:
- Hand’s Free Voice Command.
- Bluetooth technology.
- AM/FM/CD Audio.
- Six-speaker audio system.
- Optional Scout GPS.
- Optional Sirius XM.
- Wireless charger.
- Three USB Ports.
Moving to a higher grade adds a 7.0-inch touchscreen display and includes:
- Premium Entune Audio System.
- Integrated Navigation with Doppler Weather Overlay.
- HD Radio.
- Entune App Suite.
- Optional JBL Premium Audio with Subwoofer.
The front sport seats are available as a 40/20/40 bench seat in the lower-grade Tacoma Single Cab, or as 8-way powered and heated captain’s chairs. The rear seats are a 60/40 fold-down split seat and come with LATCH child anchor points.
What Kind of Safety Features Are in the Toyota Tacoma?
The Toyota Tacoma includes safety features such as:
- Rear-facing camera.
- Available LED head and brake lights, and Daytime Running Lights.
- Hill Descent Control.
- Hill Start Assist.
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection.
- Blind Spot Warning.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
- Lane Departure Warning.
- Adaptive Cruise Control
What’s the 2019 Toyota Tacoma Like to Drive?
The Tacoma dominates the mid-size pickup market. But recently, other brands have given Toyota a run for its money. As a result, Toyota spent time and money making the Tacoma both lightweight and capable.
Of the two engine options, the only real choice is the V6 with 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. While the four-cylinder is fine for small commutes and light work-use, it’s under-powered (159 horsepower, 180 lb-ft) and not as fuel-efficient (19/22 mpg) as other available four-cylinders.
The Toyota Tacoma built its reputation as a capable on-road mid-size pickup truck. But it really shines on the dirt, sand, and gravel of the world’s off-road trails.
Should I Buy a 2019 Toyota Tacoma?
The new Toyota Tacoma is one of the best mid-size trucks available. However, trucks like the Chevrolet Colorado and brand new Ford Ranger starting to challenge the long-time champion. Though we’d recommend driving the competition, the Tacoma is the better mid-size pickup truck.
Should I Buy a Used Toyota Tacoma?
Used Toyota Tacomas are a good value due to Toyota’s reliability. Tacomas keep their value quite well, but they are often pricier than competitive models.
How Much Does The Toyota Tacoma Cost?
The 2019 Toyota Tacoma is on-sale now and prices start at $26,795 for the base Tacoma. The top of the line TRD Pro starts at $43,905. Both include $1,095 destination charge.
Pros and Cons of the 2018 Toyota Tacoma
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense
- Large list of optional extras
- Toyota reliability
- Relatively inexpensive starting price
- No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
- Outdated engine options and fuel economy
- Competition has increased
The History of the Toyota Tacoma: A Mid-Size Pickup With Capability and Lasting Appeal
Toyota’s Tacoma traces its lineage back to the 1968 Toyota Hilux. The Tacoma took over the Hilux nameplate in the United States and was designed for driving enjoyment and creature comforts.
The Tacoma nameplate was introduced in the United States in 1995. It appealed to shoppers wanting a pickup truck, but didn’t need it for work use. Instead, Toyota sought customers that wanted a pickup for daily use.
Since the Tacoma’s introduction in 1995, Toyota has gone through three generations, growing in capability and size with each version. The Tacoma has developed its own market focused on an outdoors lifestyle.
Specs & Key Features of the 2018 Toyota Tacoma
- Body Style
- Access Cab
- 2.7L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve
- 159 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.7L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve -inc: cast iron block w/aluminum alloy head and VVT-i
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic -inc: electronically controlled w/intelligence
- Axle Ratio: 4.30
- GVWR: 5,600 lbs
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 1 Skid Plate
- 1620lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Leaf Rear Suspension w/Leaf Springs
- Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 16" x 7J+30 Style Steel Disc
- Tires: P245/75R16 AS
- Regular Composite Box Style
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Sliding Rear Window
- Light Tinted Glass
- Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Reverse Opening Rear Doors
- Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
- Manual Tailgate/Rear Door Lock
- Integrated Storage
- LED Brakelights
- Auto Off Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- Radio: Entune AM/FM/CD -inc: 6 speakers, 6.1" touch-screen display, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port, iPod connectivity and control, Siri eyes free, advanced voice recognition, Bluetooth hands-free phone capability, phone book access, music streaming and integrated backup camera display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way adjustable front seats w/drivers lumbar support
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- Jump Front Facing Fold-Up Cushion Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer and Trip Odometer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Fabric Seat Trim (FB)
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, Rear Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Instrument Panel Bin, Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins and 2nd Row Underseat Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Toyota Safety Sense P
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags w/Passenger Off Switch
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners