Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Ample cargo capacity
- Lots of standard driver-assistance features
- Robust tow rating
- Good off-road capability
Toyota Sequoia: Everything You Need to Know
About the Toyota Sequoia:
The Toyota Sequoia is a full-size SUV that provides lots of room for cargo and enough power to tow the heaviest loads. This model is available with some of the latest active safety features that can help you avoid accidents. It provides smooth handling on paved streets, and it’s rugged enough to tackle off-road adventures.
Toyota’s Sequoia can be configured to seat seven or eight passengers. Rear-wheel drive is standard. Four-wheel drive is available for those who need extra traction on rocky trails and steep mountain paths.
What’s New in the 2019 Toyota Sequoia?
For the 2019 model year, the Sequoia carries over with no notable changes. It’s available in four main trim levels:
- The base SR5 trim, equipped with features like automatic three-zone climate control and integrated LED fog lights
- Next up is the TRD Sport trim level, which includes Bilstein shocks and performance-tuned sway bars
- The Limited trim adds such items as leather seats and a power liftgate
Range-topping Platinum trim, which includes heated and cooled leather front seats and a rear-seat entertainment system
The Sequoia got its last redesign way back with the 2008 model. Some aspects of this SUV feel rather dated, such as its touchscreen interface. Also, its fuel economy is poor, even when judged by the standards of this gas-thirsty segment. We’d recommend keeping these points in mind when making a buying decision.
What Does the 2019 Toyota Sequoia Compete With?
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia competes with these large SUVs:
The Sequoia stands out for its generous cargo capacity, and it offers good off-road capability. But it trails the pack when it comes to fuel economy and the overall execution of its infotainment interface.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Toyota Sequoia
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia’s exterior design exudes confidence. It makes the SUV look like it’s ready to take on any challenge.
A broad grille, framed with metallic accents, anchors the front fascia. Deep character lines on the hood help give the SUV a dynamic appearance. The Sequoia’s profile shows off a flat roofline and a character line that runs from the headlights to the taillights.
With base models, 18-inch alloy wheels are standard. All models come with LED headlights, as well as side mirrors that are both heated and power-adjustable. The list of standard equipment also includes a power-adjustable sunroof with a sliding sunshade.
The TRD Sport trim brings in such exterior features as unique black 20-inch alloy wheels. Limited and Platinum models come with auto-dimming side mirrors that have integrated turn signals and a power-folding feature.
Interior Style in the 2019 Toyota Sequoia
Within its cabin, the 2019 Toyota Sequoia isn’t as upscale as some rivals in this class. The overall design is reasonably attractive, with a tall, symmetrical center stack and a sculpted dash. But the materials used are of mediocre quality. You’ll find hard plastics all throughout this SUV’s interior.
On the plus side, the Sequoia’s cabin is incredibly roomy. The seats in the first two rows are wide and comfortable, big enough to accommodate passengers of all sizes. And the third row offers good legroom for adults. Accessing the third row is fairly straightforward, since the second-row seats tilt and slide.
Cargo capacity is one of the Sequoia’s strong points. With all seats in place, this big SUV provides 18.9 cubic feet of room for gear. This figure swells to 66.6 cubic feet with the third row folded. With both the second and third rows folded, the Sequoia offers an impressive 120.1 cubic feet of cargo space. This makes it one of the roomiest choices in its segment.
Base models come with an eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat that makes it easy for you to find a comfortable position behind the wheel. A second-row bench seat is also standard, which allows the Sequoia to seat eight.
The options list includes a steering column that tilts and telescopes. Also, heated and ventilated front seats are available. Optional second-row captain’s chairs are offered, but they reduce passenger capacity to seven.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Toyota Sequoia?
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia provides an appealing range of tech offerings, but there are a couple of notable features missing. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto aren’t available, which limits smartphone integration.
Base models are equipped with Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free phone calls. HD and satellite radio are standard. Additionally, the base trim level is equipped with an eight-speaker stereo and a CD player.
An integrated navigation system is optional. A rear-seat entertainment system with a Blu-ray disc player is also offered. It comes with a nine-inch display and two sets of wireless headphones.
This Toyota SUV has been on the market for more than a decade without a redesign, and it shows its age in its infotainment interface. At 6.1 inches, the standard touchscreen is rather small for this class. And the screen’s graphics have a dated look.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Toyota Sequoia? Toyota has equipped the 2019 Sequoia with an impressive array of active safety features. All models come with the Toyota Safety Sense P range of amenities. This bundle includes a forward-collision mitigation system with pedestrian detection, technology that will automatically hit the brakes to prevent a collision with an object or pedestrian.
A blind-spot warning system is also standard, along with adaptive cruise control. Additionally, all models come with automatic high beams, rear cross-traffic alert, and a lane-departure warning system.
What Is the 2019 Toyota Sequoia Like to Drive?
Smooth handling makes the 2019 Toyota Sequoia a great choice for family transportation. Its suspension is tuned to keep harsh road surfaces from causing bumps and jolts in the cabin. Due to its large dimensions, the Sequoia can feel cumbersome on twisty roads. But its powerful engine makes it a pleasant companion during highway travel.
The Sequoia is a great choice if towing is on the menu. It’s able to pull up to 7,400 pounds, which places it near the top of its class.
With all models, a 5.7-liter V8 lives under the hood. This engine produces a mighty 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.
Rear-wheel drive is standard. And a multi-mode four-wheel-drive system with a Torsen limited-slip center differential is optional on all trims. This setup gives the Sequoia better grip on gravelly paths or slippery roads.
Unfortunately, the Sequoia falls short when it comes to fuel economy. It achieves gas mileage of a mere 13/17 mpg in city/highway driving. Most rival models in this segment offer better fuel efficiency.
Should I Buy a New Toyota Sequoia?
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia impresses with its off-road capability and surpasses its rivals when it comes to cargo capacity. It’s roomy and powerful enough to fulfill the duties expected of a full-size SUV.
Still, other models offer better fuel economy and a more modern range of tech features. It’s worth keeping this in mind when making a buying decision.
Should I Buy a Used Toyota Sequoia? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
If you’re in the market for a large used SUV, the Sequoia is worth consideration. A blind-spot warning system became available on the Sequoia in the 2012 model year. And features like forward-collision mitigation and a lane-departure warning system were added with the 2018 model. Keep these items in mind as you shop for a used Sequoia.
How Much Does the New Toyota Sequoia Cost?
Pricing for the 2019 Toyota Sequoia kicks off at $50,345 for the two-wheel drive base model and climbs to a starting price of $69,280 for the Platinum trim with four-wheel drive. Prices include a delivery charge of $1,295. These price points are about average for vehicles in this class.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota Sequoia
- Good off-road capability
- Roomy cargo capacity
- Extensive selection of standard driver-assistance features
- Smooth handling
- Muscular tow rating
- Dated infotainment interface
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto aren’t offered
- Poor gas mileage
- Materials used within the cabin are relatively low-rent
The History of the Toyota Sequoia
The Toyota Sequoia was launched in the 2001 model year. These earliest models trumped the competition when it came to cargo space and third-seat legroom. Options like a power sunroof and dual-zone air conditioning were available.
Toyota gave the Sequoia its first redesign in the 2008 model year. This overhaul brought in a new V8 engine and a fold-flat third-row seat. This model was also larger than its predecessor.
A blind-spot warning system joined the options list in the 2012 model year. And in 2018, the list of active safety features was expanded to include amenities like a lane-departure warning system and forward-collision mitigation.
Still in its second generation, the Sequoia hasn’t had a complete redesign since the 2008 model year. So some buyers might find the styling dated in comparison to many rivals.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota Sequoia
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 5.7L i-Force V8 DOHC EFI VVT-i
- 381 hp
- Electronic 6-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Change Assist
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 5.7L i-Force V8 DOHC EFI VVT-i
- Transmission: Electronic 6-Speed Automatic
- 4.30 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 7,100 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 710CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- HD 180 Amp Alternator
- Class IV Towing Equipment -inc: Hitch and Trailer Sway Control
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- 1 Skid Plate
- 1405lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 26.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" x 8" Alloy
- Tires: P275/65R18 -inc: Mud and snow rated radials
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/2 Tow Hooks
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Power Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Wiper Park
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Splash Guards
- Lip Spoiler
- Running Boards
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Washer and Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Radio: Entune Audio Plus -inc: Connected Navigation App w/7-inch high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM/HD Radio, CD Player, 8 speakers, auxiliary port, USB 2.0 port, advanced voice recognition, hands-free phone capability, phone book access, music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology, Scout GPS Link compatible, Siri Eyes Free, SiriusXM Radio w/3-month all access trial, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Alexa compatibility, See toyota.com/entune for details
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Real-Time Traffic Display
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Departure Warning
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power-adjustable driver seat and 4-way adjustable passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Transmission Fluid Temp, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Entune Selective Service Internet Access
- Fixed 60-40 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Recline, Manual Fold Into Floor, 3 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Auxiliary Rear Heater and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Easy Clean Fabric Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, Conversation Mirror and 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Integration
- Instrument Panel Bin, Interior Concealed Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Monitor w/Lane Change Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Toyota Safety Sense P and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera