Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- All new for 2019, interior and exterior have been updated
- Front-wheel-drive 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine standard, with all-wheel-drive available on higher trims
- Offers the latest safety and tech feature
- New all-wheel-drive hybrid model earns even better fuel economy
2019 Toyota RAV4: Everything You Need to Know
About the Toyota RAV4:
The RAV4 is a four-door, five-passenger compact SUV. It’s a very popular model because of its value, useful cargo space, and modern style. The RAV4 is a good vehicle for all ages. It is large enough for a small family, but compact enough for a single person.
It’s an easy vehicle to get in and out of, and the higher seat means good visibility on the road. The RAV4’s cargo area provides a lot of useful storage for people, pets, and bags.
The Toyota RAV4 is a reliable and durable vehicle that will last for years.
What’s New in the Current 2019 Toyota RAV4?
The 2019 Toyota RAV4 is all-new, including a new exterior design and a feature-filled interior, along with an available hybrid version. This is the fifth generation of the RAV4. The previous model was produced from 2013-2018.
The all-new RAV4 features front-wheel-drive with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine. All-wheel-drive is available on more expensive trim levels, and a host of safety systems are now standard.
What Does the 2019 Toyota RAV4 Compete With?
Small to midsize families are perfect for the RAV4. Pet owners and active people will appreciate the large cargo area.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Toyota RAV4
The exterior of the 2019 RAV4 is dynamic, with a premium feel similar to the freshly updated Toyota Camry. The standard LED daytime running lights slant upward. The strong grille looks like the Toyota Tacoma.
Some great standard features on the base LE model include power-folding outside mirrors, black roof rails, privacy glass, and dual chrome exhaust tips for a sporty look. Upgrading to the XLE or XLE Premium adds a lock-and-unlock feature, power tilt and slide moonroof, and variable windshield wipers.
The Adventure adds a power liftgate, blindspot monitoring with rear-traffic alert, and 19-inch split spoke wheels. The top Limited trim piles on with Entune 3.0 Premium Audio (more on that later) with navigation, and even more driver assist systems.
Interior Style in the 2019 Toyota RAV4
The RAV4’s interior is well-equipped, with four cup and four bottle holders, and easy to reach controls for the stereo and climate settings. A 7.0-inch sits in the center stack, and six stereo speakers entertain the cabin.
The RAV4 seats four adults comfortably, while the second-row middle seat is best left to children or small adults. The RAV4 has attractive knob controls placed in the tech-inspired dash. Its build quality is solid, and the overall feel is comfortable. The heated steering wheel is a lovely touch, and the heated seats offer both low and high settings.
The lighted cargo area has a height-adjustable cargo cover, so larger items won’t be smashed. The 60/40-split folding rear seat is handy for traveling with friends and gear.
Technology: (What Technology Comes in the 2019 Toyota RAV4?)
The 2019 RAV4 has the very latest tech features with the Entune 3.0 system serving as the foundation. Navigation is available through Apple CarPlay for iPhone users, or for Android, an app called Scout GPS Link. Android Auto is not available.
The RAV4 comes with hands-free phone capability, good voice recognition, and music streaming via Bluetooth or AM/FM radio. Wireless charging requires choosing the XLE Premium as part of the $2,885 Entune 3.0 Audio Plus with JBL package.
On all but the lowest trim level, there are five USB ports in the RAV4. There is a USB media port in the front storage tray, two USB ports in the front center console, and two in the back. There’s also an auxiliary power outlet in the cargo area.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Toyota RAV4?
The RAV4 is packed with the very latest safety features, listed below.
Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 includes a host of safety features including:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection: Car automatically brakes to avoid a potential collision with a car or person in the driver’s path.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Road Edge Detection, and Sway Warning System: Car offers a gentle nudge, plus audio and visual alerts, if you stray from your lane.
- Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control: Drivers can set cruise control and the vehicle’s speed will adjust for traffic.
- Road Sign Assist: Driver is alerted to a host of road signs, including speed limit, stop, do not enter, and yield signs.
Also standard across all trims is Toyota’s Star Safety System, which includes:
- Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), designed to help control the vehicle
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), which automatically adjusts the amount of force applied to each of the RAV4’s wheels based on conditions
- Smart Stop Technology (SST), kicks in if the driver applies the gas AND the brake
- Trailer-sway control
- Eight airbags
What is the 2019 Toyota RAV4 like to drive?
The RAV4 comes with a 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder and an eight-speed transmission with smooth gear shifts. The 203 horsepower rating is 27 higher than the previous model, but the engine still strains under full acceleration.
All RAV4 models come with three driving modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport. The Eco mode increases fuel economy, but limits acceleration. Sport increases power, while Normal mode balances out the two.
The seats are comfortable and easy to adjust with electronic controls for drivers of all shapes and sizes.
The ride and handling of the RAV4 is smooth even on rough roads. The steering and brakes respond quickly to the driver’s input. The RAV4 all-wheel-drive provides traction in snow, too.
The RAV4 earns 26/35 mpg city/highway, which combines to a 30-mpg fuel economy rating overall. The hybrid model gets 41/37 mpg city/highway, and 39 mpg combined.
Overall, the RAV4 is a good, solid daily driver with minimal drama and maximum durability. It’s a terrific choice for small to midsize households.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Toyota RAV4?
The Toyota RAV4 is all-new for 2019, so it contains the very latest in technology, safety, and convenience. While there’s been a slight increase in the price – around $1,000 – the now standard Toyota Safety Sense easily justifies the higher cost.
Should I buy a Used 2019 Toyota RAV4? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The previous generation RAV4 was all new in 2013 and ran through the 2018 model year. While you’ll save a lot of money purchasing used, styling, technology, and safety will not be as current. But if budget is a priority, look for a fully loaded “Adventure” trim line from 2018.
How Much Does the New 2019 Toyota RAV4 Cost?
The Toyota RAV4 starts at $25,500 and tops out at over $38,800 for a heavily loaded Limited, a healthy figure for a compact crossover. It is, however, in line with similar vehicles. The LE hybrid starts at $27,700.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota RAV4
- Quiet, comfortable ride, although the engine can sound whiney at full throttle
- Comfortable ergonomics, drama-free ownership
- Fresh, modern exterior style
- Plenty of safety and technology features standard
- Steering is not as precise as it could be
- Driving experience is not dynamic, although Sport mode increases the engagement
- Android Auto is not available
Japanese manufacturer Toyota first started importing the Toyota RAV4 in 1996, and in 1997 the small SUV won the first of many awards. The second generation ran from 2001-2005. For the third generation, a V6 was introduced. For the fourth-generation 2013 model, the V6 was axed, and Toyota scaled back on the RAV4’s inflated exterior size. The 2019 RAV4 ushers in the fifth generation of Toyota’s popular SUV.
The gas-powered 2019 Toyota RAV4 is built in Ontario, Canada, while the hybrid model is built in Georgetown, Kentucky.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota RAV4
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.5L DOHC 4-Cylinder w/Dual VVT-i
- 203 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.5L DOHC 4-Cylinder w/Dual VVT-i
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic
- Axle Ratio: 3.177
- GVWR: 4610 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 550CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 1240# Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17"
- Tires: P225/65R17 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Body-Color Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- LED Brakelights
- Trip Computer
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo -inc: 6 speakers, 7.0" touchscreen, Scout GPS link compatible w/up to 3-year trial, Siri eyes free, Apple CarPlay compatible, Amazon Alexa compatable, Android Auto, aux port, USB media port, hands-free phone capability, advanced voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology, Toyota connected services - Safety Connect w/3-year trial, Wi-Fi Connect powered by Verizon w/up to 2GB within 6-month trial, See toyota.com/entune for details
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way adjustable driver's seat and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Fabric Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Emergency Sos
- Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) 2.0
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera