Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Sure-footed in off-road environments
- Robust tow rating
- Lots of standard driver-assist amenities
- Full-time four-wheel-drive system
Toyota Land Cruiser: Everything You Need to Know
About the Model:
The 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser is a skilled off-road companion, cresting hills and barreling through canyons without breaking a sweat. And if there’s a boat or trailer that needs to be pulled from one place to the next, full-size SUVs like the Land Cruiser are often tasked with the job. Aided by its brawny engine, the Land Cruiser has the muscular tow rating you expect from a vehicle in this segment.
The Toyota Land Cruiser offers three rows of seating, and it’s able to accommodate eight passengers. There’s just one trim level available, but it comes packed with desirable features. All Land Cruiser SUVs utilize a full-time four-wheel-drive system, and this setup gives the vehicle improved traction in dirt and gravel.
Large SUVs are valued for their ruggedness, towing skills, and overall utility, and the Toyota Land Cruiser delivers in these areas. It has the goods to perform daily family-hauling duty and also survive and thrive off-road.
What’s New in the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser?
The Toyota Land Cruiser receives no notable updates for the 2019 model year.
What Does the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Compete With?
Toyota isn’t a traditional luxury brand. Still, due to the Land Cruiser’s premium amenities and steep price tag, it’s often cross-shopped against large luxury SUVs. Its pool of rivals includes the following models:
Unlike many of the models it competes with, the Land Cruiser is at home both on mountain paths and paved streets. These qualities make it a unique choice in its segment.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser
The Land Cruiser’s exterior design gives this SUV a solid, timeless appearance. A huge grille adds flash to the front fascia, flowing seamlessly into broad headlights. In profile, the Land Cruiser showcases a flat roofline and expansive windows.
The Land Cruiser’s list of standard features includes:
- Rear privacy glass
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Power sunroof
- Power liftgate
- Automatic LED headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Roof rack
- LED front fog lights
- Heated power-folding exterior mirrors
- Running boards
Toyota doesn’t offer any exterior options for the Land Cruiser, but dealer-installed accessories, such as alloy wheel locks, are available.
Interior Style in the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser
Its large windows give the Land Cruiser’s cabin an airy feel. The materials used are of premium quality, and the overall look of the interior is attractive and upscale. Still, the cabins seen in rivals like the Land Rover Range Rover have a more upmarket look.
Thanks to its huge windshield and windows, the Land Cruiser provides excellent outward visibility. The driver enjoys a tall seating position, and this provides an expansive view of the road. The Land Cruiser’s door openings are immense, and this makes ingress and egress a breeze.
This SUVs first two rows of seating are roomy in all aspects. The front bucket seats are wide enough to fit passengers of sizable girth, and there’s enough second-row legroom to accommodate long legs. Unfortunately, the third row isn’t as pleasant. There’s not enough room back there for most adults, and accessing this area of the vehicle can be tricky.
The Land Cruiser’s second-row seats come with standard LATCH attachments. The seats are large enough to accommodate car-seat installation easily.
Large SUVs typically provide generous cargo capacity, and the Land Cruiser is no different. It offers 43 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row and 81.7 cubic feet behind the first. That’s more room than you’ll get with rivals like the Land Rover Range Rover.
All Land Cruisers come with an expansive selection of interior amenities. The list includes:
- Four-zone automatic climate control
- Ten-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Heated second-row seat that folds and reclines
- Heated steering wheel
- Perforated leather upholstery
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Heated and ventilated front seats
No interior options are offered. However, dealer-installed accessories, such as a cargo net and a universal tablet holder, are available.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser?
Land Cruiser buyers enjoy access to an up-to-date selection of tech amenities. All models come with an infotainment system that can be accessed via a 9-inch touchscreen, and the interface is easy to use.
The list of standard features includes:
- Satellite radio
- 14-speaker JBL audio system
- Integrated navigation
- Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free phone calls
- Wireless device charger
- CD player
A rear-seat DVD entertainment system is optional. It comes with two 11.6-inch display screens and two wireless headphones. Unfortunately, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration aren’t offered.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser? While some safety features can help protect passengers when collisions occur, driver-assist amenities work to prevent accidents from happening in the first place. The 2019 Land Cruiser comes with an extensive range of driver-assist features as standard equipment. The list includes:
- Adaptive cruise control: During freeway travel, this technology allows the driver to automatically maintain a set distance between the Land Cruiser and the vehicle immediately ahead.
- Lane-departure warning system with steering assist: This technology issues a warning if the Land Cruiser wanders out of its lane. It also helps the driver steer the vehicle back into its own lane.
- Forward collision warning system with pedestrian detection: If there’s a pedestrian or an object in your path, this system issues a warning. If you fail to heed the warning, the system will automatically deploy the Land Cruiser’s brakes.
- Automatic high beams: During nighttime travel, this technology automatically turns on the high beams when necessary. It switches to low-beam headlights if there’s a car approaching.
- Blind-spot monitor: When you’re making a lane change, this feature lets you know if there’s a vehicle in your blind spot.
- Rear cross-traffic alert: Rear cross-traffic alert issues a warning if there’s an object in your path while you’re reversing the Land Cruiser.
What Is the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Like to Drive?
The 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser comes with a mighty 5.7-liter V8 that kicks out 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. It comes mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. Towing capacity is impressive, topping out at 8,100 pounds.
Toyota’s Land Cruiser is a star on mountain paths and rocky trails. It comes standard with the following off-road-friendly amenities:
- Full-time four-wheel drive
- Almost nine inches of ground clearance
- Skid plates
- Locking center differential for improved handling on slippery surfaces
- Crawl Control, a feature that automatically maintains a set speed when the Land Cruiser is traveling off-road
- Multi Terrain Select, which allows you to customize the Land Cruiser’s performance in off-road situations via five preset driving modes
On paved streets, the Land Cruiser delivers comfortable handling. It glides smoothly over tarmac, and its potent V8 delivers eager acceleration.
The Land Cruiser’s fuel economy is disappointing. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it achieves gas mileage of 13/18 mpg city/highway. This makes it one of the least fuel-efficient choices in its segment.
Should I Buy a New Toyota Land Cruiser?
The 2019 Land Cruiser is an attractive choice if you’re looking for a large SUV that offers luxurious amenities and rugged performance. It’s capable off-road and delivers comfortable handling on paved streets.
Should I Buy a Used Toyota Land Cruiser? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Land Cruiser has been around for decades, so there’s a wide selection of used models to consider. Toyota added driver-assist features, such as a frontal collision warning system and a blind-spot monitor, in 2016. Get a 2016 or newer model if you want access to these amenities.
How Much Does the New Toyota Land Cruiser Cost?
Pricing for the 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser starts at $86,310, including destination charge. This makes the Toyota SUV costlier than some rivals from brands such as Cadillac, Infiniti, and Mercedes-Benz.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
- Indomitable off-road prowess
- Easygoing handling on paved streets
- Expansive selection of standard driver-assist features
- Lots of room for cargo
- Ample towing capacity
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration aren’t available
- Costs more than some SUVs that offer more luxury
- Cabin isn’t as plush as that of some rivals
- Abysmal fuel economy
The History of the Toyota Land Cruiser
The Toyota Land Cruiser has been in production longer than any other Toyota model, with heritage going back more than 60 years. During that time, more than 6.5 million units have been sold worldwide.
The Land Cruiser began life in 1951 as a police and military vehicle, a model called the Jeep BJ, but it was quickly adopted by civilian buyers looking for a simple, rugged, four-wheel-drive off-roader. In 1955, the Jeep BJ was rechristened the Land Cruiser and became very slightly more civilized for the civilian market.
But the Land Cruiser never strayed too far from its original design and remained a tough, reliable vehicle popular with outdoor lovers, adventurers, and workers who needed to venture far off the beaten path. These qualities began to establish markets for the Land Cruiser worldwide, including areas with emerging markets and difficult terrain.
Buyers in some markets, especially the U.S., wanted a somewhat larger, more comfortable vehicle that could serve as both a family hauler and an off-roader. Toyota responded with the introduction of the Land Cruiser Station Wagon of the 1960s. From that point, the Land Cruiser wagon evolved into the ever-more-refined SUV we know today.
The Land Cruiser’s most recent redesign took place back in 2008, when it gained even more rounded lines, a host of interior amenities, and a more powerful engine. In 2016, the Land Cruiser added a raft of modern driver-assist features, including a blind-spot monitor.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 5.7L V8 DOHC 32V w/Dual VVT-i
- 381 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic (ECT-i)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Four Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Blind Spot Sensor
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- DVD Player
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Sat Nav
- Satellite Navigation
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 5.7L V8 DOHC 32V w/Dual VVT-i
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic (ECT-i)
- 3.307 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 7,385 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Electronic Transfer Case
- Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Class III Towing Equipment -inc: Hitch and Trailer Sway Control
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- 4 Skid Plates
- 1320lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Active Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 24.6 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control and Hill Hold Control
- Electro-Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 18" Split-Spoke Alloy
- Tires: P285/60R18 116V
- Aluminum Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/2 Tow Hooks
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Chrome Bodyside Moldings
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Wiper Park
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Splash Guards
- Lip Spoiler
- Running Boards
- Chrome Grille
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Power Liftgate/Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Washer and Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Entune Premium w/JBL Audio & Navigation -inc: 9" high-resolution touch-screen w/split-screen display, AM/FM cache radio w/CD player, HD Radio, 14 JBL GreenEdge speakers including subwoofer amplifier, SiriusXM All Access Satellite Radio (3-month all access trial subscription), HD Radio predictive traffic and doppler weather overlay, USB 2.0 port w/iPod connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition, hands-free phone capability, phone book access, advanced voice recognition, music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology and Siri Eyes Free, Entune App Suite includes Destination Search, Facebook Places, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable, Pandora, Yelp and Slacker Radio Access to SiriusXM data services is complimentary for 3-months. See toyota.com/entune for details.
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Radio Data System and DVD-Audio
- 605w Regular Amplifier
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Digital Signal Processor
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Multi-Stage Heated and Ventilated Front Seats -inc: 10-way power adjustable driver's seat w/three-position memory function and 8-way power adjustable front passenger seat w/driver and passenger power lumbar support
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Heated Manual Reclining Tumble Forward Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed 50-50 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Recline, 2 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Heated Leather/Simulated Wood Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Dual Zone Front And Rear Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Auxiliary Rear Heater, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum/Simulated Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum/Simulated Wood Door Panel Insert, Piano Black/Aluminum Console Insert and Chrome/Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Semi-Aniline Perforated Leather-Trimmed Seating
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, 2 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Door Mirrors and Steering Wheel
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Safety Connect Tracker System
- Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Console, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- A-TRAC ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Safety Connect Emergency Sos
- Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) Blind Spot Sensor
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Front Camera
- Left Side Camera
- Right Side Camera