Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Standard Safety Features on all trims
- Toyota has top reliability ratings
- Resale is very strong
Toyota Corolla Hatchback: Everything You Need to Know
About the Toyota Corolla Hatchback
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback is a compact, five-door, hatchback car that is built by the Japanese company, Toyota. The Corolla is one of the most popular vehicles in the United States, and Toyota has sold more than 46 million Corollas since they were first introduced in 1966 (including the hatchback version).
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback was recently named as a 2019 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick. Toyota, as a brand, won the best resale awards from KBB in 2018.
There is only one available engine in the 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback: A 2.0-liter inline-4 cylinder engine that makes 168 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. That engine can be paired to an optional six-speed manual gearbox or a Continuously Variable Transmission (or CVT) automatic transmission that offers a manual shift mode and a launch gear for those times when you need to get off the line quickly.
There are two trim levels available on the Toyota Corolla Hatchback:
- SE: The base-level Toyota Corolla Hatchback comes with 16-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), and taillights.
- XSE: This is the top-level Corolla Hatchback, and it comes with 18-inch wheels, integrated fog lights, chrome highlights heated sport seats and some additional bells and whistles.
The 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback gets an EPA-estimated 36 miles per gallon combined when equipped with the CVT transmission, and an estimated 32 miles per gallon in the city, and 42 miles per gallon on the highway. Those numbers go down when you opt for the manual transmission. The Corolla Hatchback with the manual six-speed gets an estimated 31 miles per gallon combined, 28 miles per gallon city and 37 miles per gallon highway.
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback is reliable, safe, affordable, and it gets a long list of included features that make it a good buy.
What’s new in the Toyota Corolla Hatchback?
The all-new 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback gets a tremendous list of new and upgraded features for this model year.
First, the Corolla Hatchback is built on Toyota's new TNGA platform and comes with more power and fuel efficiency than the previous generation.
Additionally, it gets more standard equipment, including Toyota's Entune 3.0 infotainment system with an 8-inch touchscreen, WiFi capability, Amazon Alexa, and Apple CarPlay. It also gets Toyota’s Safety Sense 2.0 system as standard.
What does the Toyota Corolla Hatchback compete with?
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback competes with the following cars:
- Honda Civic Hatchback
- Honda Fit
- Mazda 3
- Hyundai Elantra GT
- Subaru Impreza
- Kia Forte5
- Volkswagen Golf GTI
- Ford Focus
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback is a great first car. It’s also great for new families or as a commuter car because it is extremely fuel-efficient.
Exterior Design of the Toyota Corolla Hatchback
The 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback gets wider, lower, and slightly shorter than the previous generation, Corolla iM, and it looks really good, too.
At the front of the Corolla Hatchback sits a new grille and lower hood. The lower hood helps improve visibility out the front of the vehicle, while the new grille gives the Corolla Hatchback a more aggressive look.
All of the 2020 Corolla Hatchbacks get LED lighting. The upper-level XSE Corolla Hatchback gets larger wheels, integrated fog lights, and a chrome surround on the grille.
Interior Style in the Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Even though the new Corolla Hatchback is shorter outside, it has plenty of interior space for both driver and passenger comfort. Touchpoints are soft and appealing, and the seats are comfortable and supportive.
In the base SE model, you get standard 60/40 rear folding seats and premium leather-trimmed steering wheel with integrated controls. If you want leather-trimmed, heated sport seats, you'll need to step up to the XSE trim.
The seating inside the new Corolla Hatchback is comfortable enough for four adult passengers, though rear legroom is a bit tight. You can fit five people, but the middle rear would be somewhat uncomfortable.
Because of the changes outside, you also get a better view inside the Toyota Corolla Hatchback thanks to the lower hood and thinner A-pillars. The B and C pillars towards the back of the car, however, do pose a bit of a visual block, so you'll need to pay good attention when changing lanes.
What technology comes in the Toyota Corolla Hatchback?
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback has a ton of included technology even at its base level.
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback offers a wide array of standard technology
- A 4.2-inch color multi-information display
- Entune 3.0 infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa
- Eight-inch touchscreen display
- Two front USB ports
Stepping up to the XSE adds things like dual climate zones, Entune 3.0 Audio Plus and a seven-inch TFT screen at the center of the dash.
The only thing that is missing from the Toyota Corolla Hatchback is Android Auto. While Apple CarPlay is included, there's no word on when or if Android Auto might be available in the Toyota Corolla Hatchback. If you're an Android user, this will be an issue.
What kind of safety features are in the new Toyota Corolla Hatchback?
The new Toyota Corolla Hatchback comes with a suite of safety features as standard. These are packaged in the Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 system.
Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 includes the following features:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection: This system helps detect another car, pedestrian, or bicyclist in the path of the car. It uses a radar and camera system to recognize shapes. It then sends out an audio and visual alert if the car is about to crash into someone. If you don't brake in time, the car will do it for you.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and Road Edge Detection: This is Toyota's name for their lane departure warning system. It gives an audio and visual alert if you are coming too close to the edge of a lane, and it will gently guide the car back into the center of the lane.
- Automatic High Beams: This system automatically dims and brightens your headlights at night so that you don’t blind oncoming traffic or those in front of you.
- Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control: This system allows you to set your cruise control and follow a vehicle in front of you as it speeds up (to your set limit) or slow down. It uses a radar system to “see.”
- Lane Tracing Assist: You can turn this system on and off, and it helps you use lane markings and/or the car ahead of you to keep your car centered in the lane.
- Road Sign Assist: This system uses a forward-facing camera to recognize speed limit signs, stop signs, do not enter signs, and yield signs to help make the driver more aware of their surroundings.
What is the Toyota Corolla Hatchback like to drive?
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback is agile and fun on the road. The Toyota Corolla Hatchback gets more power and a better drivetrain than the previous Toyota Corolla iM.
The upgraded TNGA platform offers more road feel than the previous generation making the Corolla feel connected and well balanced on the road. It has quick steering and brakes, and because the Corolla Hatchback is so light, the systems all work together to make it pretty quick from 0-60. You won't worry about merging in the Toyota Corolla Hatchback.
Personally, we really enjoyed the fun of driving the six-speed manual transmission. Sure it gets less fuel-efficiency, but the joy of rowing your own outweighs fuel economy in our book. The manual also comes with automatic rev matching, which makes it really fun to toss around.
The CVT in the Toyota Corolla Hatchback is equally impressive, plus it delivers more fuel efficiency. It is actually good enough that you'll hardly notice that it's a CVT because it's smooth and quick to respond. There's a built-in launch gear that delivers power immediately from a dead stop. The automatic gets full-speed dynamic cruise control, too.
Should I buy a Toyota Corolla Hatchback?
If you are looking for a safe, reliable, affordable car, that has excellent resale, the Toyota Corolla Hatchback is a great bet. It blends the joy of having a hatchback with some truly enjoyable driving experience and fuel efficiency.
Should I buy a used Toyota Corolla Hatchback?
Because Toyota has such a great reputation for reliability and safety, it is definitely worth looking into purchasing a used Toyota Corolla Hatchback. Know that the previous generation hatchback was called the Toyota Corolla iM.
How much does the Toyota Corolla Hatchback cost?
The Toyota Corolla Hatchback starts at $20,140 plus delivery. This is for the base model with the manual transmission. The addition of the automatic CVT will cost you an additional $1000.
Adding on the SE Preferred package will cost you an additional $1400 on the SE and $1600 on the XSE, and will include upgraded Entune system, SiriusXM with a 3-month trial, and WiFi.
The top of the line Toyota Corolla Hatchback tops out at just shy of $26,000.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
- Toyota offers a suite of safety features as standard
- Improved driving dynamics
- Apple CarPlay is finally available for the Toyota Corolla Hatchback
- No Android Auto
- Somewhat underpowered compared to the competition
- No all-wheel drive
- Small backseat
The History of the Toyota Corolla Hatchback: Fifty years of Corolla Hatchback
Toyota has built the popular Corolla Hatchback for nearly 40 years. The first true hatchback that Toyota built was called the Toyota Corolla Van Deluxe, and it was built from 1970-1974. It looked more like a wagon than a hatchback, and over the years Toyota went back and forth on designs, sometimes creating wagon styling, sometimes creating a true hatchback. Since the Toyota Corolla came to be in 1966, more than 46 million Corolla Hatchbacks have been sold around the world (including the Corolla Hatchback) Corollas appeared in the U.S. in 1968 as a replacement to the Toyota Crown.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
- Body Style
- 2.0L I4 Dynamic Force
- 169 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L I4 Dynamic Force -inc: dual injection w/dual VVT-i
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.94 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Sport Tuned Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 13.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 16" Aluminum Silver Metallic Painted
- Tires: 205/55R16 All-Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Chrome Bumper Insert
- Rocker Panel Extensions
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Metal-Look Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Programmable Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM -inc: SiriusXM, Android Auto compatability, 8 inch touchscreen, 6 speakers, Siri Eyes Free & Apple CarPlay compatible, Amazon Alexa enabled, Safety Connect, Wi-Fi Connect powered by Verizon, Scout GPS link compatible, aux port and USB media port, voice recognition training and tutorials, hands-free phone capability, voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth and customizable home screen
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- Satellite Radio
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Sport Front Seats -inc: manual adjustment front seats
- 6-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look/Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look/Piano Black Console Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Fabric Upholstery
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Foldable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) 2.0
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) w/Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) w/Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera