Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Standard Safety Features including dynamic cruise control and pedestrian detection.
- A new hybrid version is available for the first time in the 2020 model year.
- A variety of exterior looks and new colors are available for 2020.
- Toyota has top reliability ratings.
Toyota Corolla: Everything You Need to Know
About the Toyota Corolla
The Toyota Corolla is a compact car that is built by the Japanese company, Toyota. It is one of the most popular vehicles in the United States and Toyota has sold more than 46 million Corollas since they were first introduced in 1966.
The Toyota Corolla is reliable, safe, affordable and it gets a long list of included features that make it a good buy.
What’s new in the 2020 Toyota Corolla?
The all-new 2020 Toyota Corolla gets a tremendous list of new and upgraded features for this model year.
The 2020 Toyota Corolla is slightly shorter, wider and lower than the previous generation. The Corolla gets 0.8-inches shorter, 2-inches wider and the roofline sits 0.8-inches lower than the previous model. The 2020 Toyota Corolla is built on Toyota’s TNGA platform that underpins everything from the Prius to the RAV4.
The 2020 Toyota Corolla is available in four different versions:
- Modern: The L, LE, and XLE trims get a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine that makes 139 horsepower and 126 pound-feet of torque. It is married to Toyota’s CVTi transmission.
- Sport: The SE and XSE trims get a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine that puts out 169 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. You can get either a dynamic shift CVT with a physical first gear or choose to row-your-own with a 6-speed intelligent manual that rev matches on up and down shift and has hill-start assist.
- Hatchback: This variant gets the Sport trim level engine and is available in with the 6-speed intelligent manual or CVT automatic transmission with the physical first gear.
- Hybrid: For 2020, Toyota will offer the Toyota Corolla in a hybrid version. This is the first time that the Corolla has been offered with a hybrid engine in the U.S.
All 2020 Toyota Corolla trims come standard with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0.
There are two new colors for the 2020 Toyota Corolla—Blue Print, a metallic blue, and Celestite a light pearlescent blue.
What does the Toyota Corolla compete with?
The Toyota Corolla competes with the following cars:
The Toyota Corolla is a great first car. It’s also great for new families as it has the LATCH system in the back seats.
Exterior Design of the New Toyota Corolla
The 2020 Toyota Corolla gets wider, lower, and slightly shorter than previous generations and it looks much better than it did in the past.
Depending on the trim level you choose, the front of the vehicle will get different grill styling. The sporty SE and XSE versions get a more aggressive looking front than the L, LE, XLE and hybrid versions.
Toyota has reworked the side body panels and given them more definition for the 2020 model year. There are a number of different wheel options including 16-inch alloy wheels with wheel covers and 16-inch alloy wheels with twisted spokes. The sport versions of the Corolla get 18-inch wheels. The hybrid Corolla gets its own 15-inch wheels, as well.
All of the 2020 Corollas get LED lighting.
Interior Style in the New Toyota Corolla
Even though the new Corolla is shorter outside, it has plenty of interior space for both driver and passenger comfort.
The seating inside the new Corolla is comfortable enough for 4 adult passengers. You can fit 5 people but the middle rear is a bit uncomfortable on a long drive.
Cloth seats are standard but you can decide to step up to higher trims and get some comfortable SofTex sport seats with contrasting panels and soft-touch dash materials. You can also get an available leather trimmed steering wheel and moonroof.
Because of the changes outside, you also get a better view inside the new 2020 Toyota Corolla thanks to the lower hood and the placement of the mirrors on the doors (rather than on the corner of the front windows). There is now a small quarter window up front to give better view out the front of the car. What technology comes in the 2020 Toyota Corolla? The new Toyota Corolla has a ton of included technology even at its base level. Add on packages and features are available if you want more.
The 2020 Toyota Corolla offers a wide array of available interior and technology features including:
- 7.0-inch configurable digital dash display
- Heated seats
- Qi wireless charging
- Automatic climate control
- 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 9-speaker JBL sound system
The 2020 Toyota Corolla comes standard with:
- Apple CarPlay
- WiFi availability
- Amazon Alexa availability
- Active Cornering Assist
- Toyota Safety Sense 2.0
The only thing that is missing from the 2020 Toyota Corolla is Android Auto. While Apple CarPlay is included there’s no word on when or if Android Auto might be available in the 2020 Toyota Corolla. If you’re an Android user this will be an issue.
What kind of safety features are in the new Toyota Corolla? The new Toyota Corolla comes with a suite of safety features as standard. These are packaged up into what Toyota calls Toyota Safety Sense 2.0.
Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 includes the following features:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection: This system helps detect another car, pedestrian or bicyclist in the path of the car. It uses a radar and camera system to recognize shapes. It then sends out an audio and visual alert if the car is about to crash into someone. If you don’t brake in time, the car will do it for you.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and Road Edge Detection: This is Toyota’s name for their lane departure warning system. It gives an audio and visual alert if you are coming too close to the edge of a lane and it will gently guide the car back into the center of the lane.
- Automatic High Beams: This system automatically dims and brightens your headlights at night so that you don’t blind oncoming traffic or those in front of you.
- Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control: This system allows you to set your cruise control and follow a vehicle in front of you as it speeds up (to your set limit) or slow down. It uses a radar system to “see.”
- Lane Tracing Assist: You can turn this system on and off and it helps you use lane markings and/or the car ahead of you to keep your car centered in the lane.
- Road Sign Assist: This system uses a forward-facing camera to recognize speed limit signs, stop signs, do not enter signs, and yield signs to help make the driver more aware of their surroundings.
What’s the 2020 Toyota Corolla like to drive?
The 2020 Toyota Corolla is surprisingly fun on the road. The 2020 Toyota Corolla gets more power and a better drivetrain than the previous generation.
It’s also slightly better looking and has a bit more rigidity and improved suspension thanks to updates to the TNGA platform that the Corolla is built on. We got a chance to take two top-level versions out around Savannah, Georgia; the XLE and the XSE.
The top-level cruiser, the XLE, is comfortable and has a premium feel inside. The engine gets just 7 more horsepower than the previous generation and it gives the new Toyota Corolla a bit more acceleration. While it’s by no means fast off from a stop, its quick enough to merge onto the highway or move with traffic.
Even though it does get a CVT transmission, most drivers won’t notice it. The new Corolla feels a little more responsive than the previous generation because of the new TNGA platform it is built on. There is still some road noise in the cabin thanks in part to the tires, but overall the Corolla XLE is a solid choice whether you’re commuting or headed out for a long road trip. The 2020 Toyota Corolla XLE starts at $23,950 plus delivery.
The top-level sport version, the XSE, is the right choice for those who want a bit more sport in their Corolla. With the larger 2.0-liter engine and the CVT transmission with the physical first gear, the Corolla XSE feels more lively than the XLE. It is also more engaging to drive than the XLE. The sport tuning gives the XSE more road feel and it has more weighted steering. The Toyota XSE starts at $25,450 plus delivery.
In both versions, Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 gets some nice upgrades. When driving on unknown roads, the system can let you know what the speed limit is by reading signs you may not notice. More than once it saved us from being spotted by a hidden state trooper just over a blind rise.
As we mentioned, there is a lot of road noise in both versions, however. While Toyota has done some things to upgrade the sound dampening inside the car, in our test drives we still found it noisy enough to have to turn up the radio.
The configurable 7.0-inch dash display is a nice addition to the 2020 Toyota Corolla as it keeps information at hand and in front of the driver so that you don’t have to take your eyes off the road. We tested the lane centering and lane keeping system and thought it was too much on the short routes. On long drives it would offer a good way to help keep you alert if you drift off to one side or the other. You can adjust the system based on how you like to drive, which is also a nice touch.
Should I buy a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
If you are looking for a safe, reliable, affordable car, the Toyota Corolla could be the right fit for you. Toyota has a reputation for incredible reliability and safety so we think it’s worth checking out.
Should I buy a used Toyota Corolla?
Because Toyota has such a great reputation for reliability and safety, it is definitely worth looking into purchasing a used Toyota Corolla. We would recommend looking at getting a 2014 or newer Toyota Corolla because in 2014 the Corolla got the most recent complete redesign.
How much does the new Toyota Corolla cost?
The 2020 Toyota Corolla goes on sale in the spring of 2019. Prices start at $19,500 for the base L model. The 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid will also go on sale in the spring of 2019.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota Corolla
- Toyota offers a suite of safety features on all models of the 2020 Toyota Corolla
- Improved driving dynamics
- Apple CarPlay is finally available for the 2020 Toyota Corolla
- Variety of powertrains, transmissions, and body styles (including a hatchback), available
- No Android Auto
- Noisy at highway speeds
The History of the Toyota Corolla: Fifty years of Corolla
Toyota has built the popular Corolla for more than 50 years and the 2020 Toyota Corolla is the 12th generation of the vehicle. Since its inception in 1966, more than 46 million Corollas have been sold around the world. It is currently sold in more than 150 countries and regions all over the world.
Originally the Corolla was designed to meld form, function and economy into one package. It was sold in Japan first and made its way across the pond to the U.S. in 1968 as a replacement for the Toyota Crown.
The Corolla began to gain in popularity in the 80’s with its efficient engines and affordable prices. The Toyota Corolla has won a number of awards dating back as far as 1984.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota Corolla
- Body Style
- 1.8L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve
- 139 hp
- Continuously Variable (CVTi-S)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.8L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve -inc: Valvematic
- Transmission: Continuously Variable (CVTi-S)
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 4.21 Axle Ratio
- 390CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 80 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 13.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 15" Styled Steel
- Tires: P195/65R15 All-Season
- Wheels w/Full Wheel Covers
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Body-Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM w/6 Speakers & Navigation -inc: 7" touchscreen, connected navigation scout GPS link app w/3-year complimentary trial, app suite, Siri Eyes Free, auxiliary audio jack, 2 USB 2.0 ports, media port iPod connectivity and control, hands-free phone capability, voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Graphic Equalizer
- Fixed Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way adjustable driver's seat and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Fabric Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Toyota Safety Sense P
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) w/Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) w/Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera