Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Dynamic exterior design
- Gas-only and hybrid variants offered
- Elegant, roomy cabin
- Frugal fuel economy
Toyota Avalon: Everything You Need to Know
About the Toyota Avalon:
The 2019 Toyota Avalon is a full-size sedan that provides poised handling and a spacious cabin. It offers an extensive range of standard amenities. All models come with a broad selection of active safety features.
This five-passenger sedan is available with gas-only and hybrid powertrains. Hybrid models stand out for their impressive fuel economy. Front-wheel drive is standard on all Avalon sedans.
Buyers turn to full-size sedans for their roominess and comfort. The Avalon delivers in both these areas, and it also offers appealing style.
What’s New in the 2019 Toyota Avalon?
Toyota has completely redesigned the Avalon for 2019. Compared to last year’s model, the current Avalon’s is longer, lower and wider. Also, it offers more horsepower and improved fuel economy.
For the 2019 model year, Avalon sedans with a gas-only powertrain are sold in four trim levels:
- The base XLE trim is equipped with features such as LED headlights, heated front seats, and keyless entry and ignition.
- The XSE trim adds larger wheels, a sport-tuned suspension, and a rear spoiler.
- Next up is the Limited trim, which includes a sunroof, a head-up display, and ventilated front seats.
- The range-topping Touring trim brings in an adaptive suspension.
With the hybrid powertrain, the Avalon comes in XLE, XSE and Limited trims.
What Does the 2019 Toyota Avalon Compete With?
Toyota’s Avalon is often cross-shopped against these sedans:
There are lots of great choices in this group. But the Avalon’s attractive cabin, smooth handling, and strong fuel economy separate it from the pack.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Toyota Avalon
Relative to last year’s model, the 2019 Avalon takes an edgier approach with its exterior design. With its sharp lines and bold contours, the current model is more assertive-looking than its predecessor.
A bulging hood gives the sedan a muscular look. A textured grille and scowling headlights add bite to the Avalon’s front fascia. In profile, this sedan resembles a chic coupe, thanks to its rounded roofline.
Base models ride on 17-inch alloy wheels and come with side mirrors that are both heated and power-adjustable. A power sunroof is optional, and buyers can upgrade the car with 18- or 19-inch wheels.
Interior Style in the 2019 Toyota Avalon
Its cabin design is one of the Avalon’s highlights. The handsome center stack is bordered by sleek metallic accents and flanked with a sculpted dash. Premium materials are used throughout the interior. It all comes together to create an upmarket environment for passengers.
The Avalon’s front seats are comfortable, and they’re wide enough to accommodate passengers of all sizes. The rear seats are just as spacious. There’s lots of legroom back there for those with long limbs.
Standard dual-zone automatic climate control helps maintain a pleasant temperature within the cabin. The steering column tilts and telescopes to find an optimal seating position. Options like a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats raise the level of luxury within the cabin.
This Toyota sedan has a sizable trunk. The Avalon provides 16.1 cubic feet of cargo space in both the gas-only model or the hybrid.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Toyota Avalon?
Toyota has equipped the Avalon with many of the tech features that modern car shoppers want. Base models come with satellite radio and a Wi-Fi hotspot. All models are equipped with Bluetooth phone and music streaming, as well as Apple CarPlay smartphone integration.
Overall, we found the Avalon’s infotainment interface easy to use. The menus are set up in a way that’s simple to navigate.
The list of options includes an integrated navigation system and wireless device charging. However, Android Auto smartphone integration isn’t available.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Toyota Avalon?
All Avalon sedans are equipped with an extensive range of active safety features. The car’s standard blind-spot monitoring system helps to make safer lane changes on the highway. There’s also a forward collision warning system with pedestrian detection on board. This technology will automatically hit the brakes if the Avalon is about to collide with an object or pedestrian.
A lane-departure warning system with steering assist is standard, and it keeps the Avalon centered in its lane. All models come with adaptive cruise control and automatic high beams.
Parking sensors are optional. The Avalon may also be upgraded with a surround-view camera.
What Is the 2019 Toyota Avalon Like to Drive?
Many car shoppers like large sedans for their smooth ride quality. The Avalon certainly doesn’t disappoint in this respect. It cruises over pock-marked roads without losing its poise.
Thanks to its capable suspension, the Avalon keeps bumps and jolts at a minimum. Acceleration is brisk in both gas-only or hybrid versions. The Avalon goes about its business quietly, and there’s not a lot of road noise in the cabin.
A 3.5-liter V6 is standard. This powerplant provides 301 horsepower, and is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.
With the hybrid variant, a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine joins an electric motor and a continuously variable transmission. The Avalon Hybrid provides a net output of 215 horsepower.
All models are front-wheel drive. Though other models in this segment offer all-wheel drive, this feature isn’t available on the Avalon.
The Avalon excels when it comes to fuel economy. Hybrid models earn up to 43/44 mpg city/highway. Gas-only models top out at 22/32 mpg.
Should I Buy a New Toyota Avalon?
The Toyota Avalon provides premium features equal to some luxury sedans. It has a higher base price than other models in this segment. But when you consider its range of standard features, we think this sedan offers good value.
When looking for a large car with smooth handling and a premium feel, most shoppers will be happy with the Avalon.
Should I Buy a Used Toyota Avalon? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Avalon is a great choice for used-car shoppers. In the 2019 J.D. Power Dependability Survey, the 2016 Avalon earned nine out of ten points for overall reliability. This model is from the car’s fourth generation, which was produced from 2013-‘18.
Compared to previous models, this generation has a wider range of active safety features and an improved cabin. A fourth-generation Avalon is worth strong consideration when looking for a used sedan.
How Much Does the New Toyota Avalon Cost?
The 2019 Toyota Avalon has a base price of $35,650. Hybrid models start at $36,650. The Avalon costs more than other models in this segment. But it comes with a much wider range of standard equipment than many competing sedans.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota Avalon
- Excellent fuel economy
- Poised handling
- Roomy, upmarket cabin
- Assertive exterior design
- Extensive list of standard driver-assist features
- All-wheel drive isn’t available
- Higher base price than most rivals
- Android Auto isn’t offered
The History of the Toyota Avalon: Larger and More Powerful
Toyota’s Avalon has been on the market for more than twenty years. It was introduced with the 1995 model.
The first generation was produced until the car’s redesign in the 2000 model year. Relative to the first-generation model, the second-generation model offers a more powerful engine and a larger trunk.
Toyota introduced the Avalon’s third generation in the 2005 model year. This model was even more powerful and spacious than previous versions.
The Avalon’s fourth generation arrived with the 2013 model. This era brought in a modern raft of active safety features.
Toyota’s Avalon sedan is currently in its fifth generation, which was launched with the 2019 model.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota Avalon
- Body Style
- 3.5L DOHC 24V V6 w/Dual VVT-i
- 301 hp
- 8-speed ECT-i Direct-Shift Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Sat Nav
- Satellite Navigation
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.5L DOHC 24V V6 w/Dual VVT-i -inc: sport, ECO and normal modes
- Transmission: 8-speed ECT-i Direct-Shift Automatic -inc: sequential shift mode
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 2.56 Axle Ratio
- 575CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 100 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5" Silver-Painted Alloy
- Tires: P215/55R17 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Chrome Bumper Insert
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: Premium Audio w/Dynamic Navigation (041N) -inc: 8 speakers, 9" touch screen, audio jack, USB 2.0 port w/iPod connectivity and control, voice recognition, Bluetooth hands-free phone capability and music streaming, Apple CarPlay, Scout GPS Link w/3-year trial, Siri Eyes Free, HD Radio, Entune App Suite SiriusXM satellite radio w/3-month SiriusXM All Access trial and Amazon Alexa in-car app
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 8-way Adjustable Heated Front Seats -inc: 2-way power-adjustable lumbar
- 8-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Cushion Tilt
- 8-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Cushion Tilt
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Selective Service Internet Access
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Simulated Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Simulated Wood Door Panel Insert, Leather Console Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- SofTex Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Safety Connect with 1-year trial Emergency Sos
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) Blind Spot Sensor
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) w/Steering Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) w/Steering Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera