Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Rugged off-road capability
- Lots of cargo space
- Roomy cabin
- Available with either part-time or full-time four-wheel drive
Toyota 4Runner: Everything You Need to Know
About the Model:
Most of today’s SUVs are built to be driven solely on paved streets, but the Toyota 4Runner is made of more rugged stuff. With its high ground clearance and sturdy truck-based construction, the 4Runner shines in off-road environments, and it also offers ample cargo space. However, keep in mind that it isn’t available with key driver-assist features like a blind-spot warning system.
The Toyota 4Runner is a midsize SUV that can be configured to seat up to seven passengers. All models are motivated by a 4.0-liter V6. Buyers can choose between rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive.
Seven trim levels are offered:
- SR5 Premium
- TRD Off-Road
- TRD Off-Road Premium
- TRD Pro
- Limited Nightshade
Off-road-friendly vehicles are less common these days than they once were, and that fact helps separate the 4Runner from most rivals currently on the market. The Toyota 4Runner merits consideration if you’re a shopper seeking an SUV that’s equipped to tackle rocky trails and mountain paths.
What’s New in the 2019 Toyota 4Runner?
For the 2019 model year, the Toyota adds a new Nightshade Limited Edition trim level to the 4Runner’s lineup. This new trim level includes black interior and exterior accents, as well as 20-inch black wheels.
Also, the 4Runner’s TRD Pro trim benefits from the following upgrades:
- Updated front skid plate with red TRD lettering
- Standard JBL audio system
- Standard sunroof
- New shocks and suspension
What Does the 2019 Toyota 4Runner Compete With?
The Toyota 4Runner’s list of competitors includes these midsize SUVs:
- Honda Passport
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Kia Sorento
- Subaru Ascent
- Honda Pilot
- Toyota Highlander
- Mazda CX-9
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Volkswagen Atlas
- Ford Edge
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Ford Explorer
- Buick Enclave
- GMC Acadia
Unlike most of these rivals, the 4Runner is uniquely qualified to tackle off-road adventures.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Toyota 4Runner
The Toyota 4Runner’s sheet metal gives this SUV a boxy, upright appearance. In front, a meaty crossbar slices through the wide grille. Squared-off wheel wells complement the SUV’s angular look. In profile, the 4Runner showcases a flat roofline and generously sized windows.
Base-model 4Runner SUVs come with standard exterior features such as:
- Heated power-adjustable side mirrors
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Projector-beam halogen headlights
- Rear privacy glass
- Roof rails
You can upgrade your 4Runner with optional equipment such as:
- Side mirrors with integrated turn signals
- 20-inch wheels
- LED fog lights
- Automatic running boards
- Power sunroof
Interior Style in the 2019 Toyota 4Runner
When it comes to its overall design, the 4Runner’s cabin looks dated. This is understandable when you consider that the model hasn’t been redesigned since 2010. Still, the cabin presents a pleasant, user-friendly environment. Buttons and knobs can be quickly identified, and they’re placed within easy reach.
Base-model 4Runners provide seating for five. The driver’s seat is comfortable, and its high position gives you a clear view of the road. The second row provides good legroom and headroom, and these seats fold flat and recline. The 4Runner’s second-row seats are spacious enough for you to easily install a child seat using the standard LATCH attachments.
An optional third-row seat boosts passenger capacity to seven. However, these seats offer limited legroom, and they’re best suited for children.
The 4Runner’s passengers have access to lots of cargo space. This SUV offers up to 47.2 cubic feet of cargo capacity behind its second row and 89.7 cubic feet behind its first. Those figures are competitive in this segment.
Standard amenities such as power-adjustable front seats and a tilt-and-telescoping column make it easy for the driver to get comfortable behind the wheel. Air conditioning is also standard, and base models come with cloth upholstery.
Toyota’s 4Runner offers an appealing range of optional interior amenities. The list includes:
- Perforated leather upholstery
- Simulated leather (SofTex) upholstery
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Toyota 4Runner?
Car buyers will find that the Toyota 4Runner offers an up-to-date range tech features. All models come with an infotainment system that can be accessed via voice recognition or a 6.1-inch touchscreen. Bluetooth connectivity is provided for hands-free phone calls, and satellite radio is standard on all models.
The 4Runner’s list of optional tech features includes:
- Integrated navigation system
- 15-speaker JBL audio system
- Keyless ignition
- Keyless entry
Unfortunately, the 4Runner isn’t available with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto smartphone integration.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Toyota 4Runner?
Driver-assist features work heroically to prevent accidents, and they’re essential items for many car shoppers. Relative to rival models, the 4Runner’s selection of driver-assist amenities is meager.
Base models come with a rearview camera that can help you see the path behind you when making reversing maneuvers. The only options offered are front and rear parking sensors.
Rival models offer driver-assist features such as forward collision mitigation, a lane-departure warning system and adaptive cruise control, but none of these features are available with the 4Runner.
What Is the 2019 Toyota 4Runner Like to Drive?
All Toyota 4Runner SUVs are equipped with a 4.0-liter V6 that provides 270 horsepower. This engine is governed by a six-speed automatic transmission.
Rear-wheel drive is provided as standard equipment, but the 4Runner also offers two optional four-wheel-drive systems. The first is a part-time four-wheel-drive setup that’s paired with a two-speed transfer case. The second is a full-time four-wheel-drive system, and it’s teamed with a two-speed transfer case and a locking center differential.
Both its four-wheel-drive systems give the 4Runner improved traction on paths and trails. And with up to 9.6 inches of ground clearance, this SUV is able to easily cruise over fallen rocks and tree branches.
On paved streets, the 4Runner’s ride quality is smooth and poised. The suspension is forgiving, keeping road harshness at bay. Despite the vehicle’s size and heft, the V6 does a great job of getting 4Runner moving from a standstill.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the 4Runner achieves fuel economy of up to 17/21 mpg city/highway. It’s able to tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Should I Buy a New Toyota 4Runner?
With its high ground clearance and available four-wheel drive, the 4Runner is purpose-built for off-roading, and it also delivers comfortable handling in the city. If you’re looking for a vehicle that can competently straddle both these worlds, the Toyota 4Runner deserves consideration.
Should I Buy a Used Toyota 4Runner? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
As with most Toyota vehicles, the 4Runner has a strong track record when it comes to reliability. As a result, used models are an attractive proposition. A 2014 redesign brought a dramatic increase in cargo capacity, so choose a 2014 or newer model if you want lots of cargo space.
How Much Does the New Toyota 4Runner Cost?
Pricing for the 2019 Toyota starts at $35,110. This makes it one of the most expensive models in its segment.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Toyota 4Runner
- Purpose-built for off-roading
- Smooth handling on paved streets
- Ample cargo capacity
- Comfortable cabin
- More expensive than rival models
- Apple CarPlay smartphone integration isn’t offered
- Android Auto smartphone integration isn’t available
- Driver-assist features such as a blind-spot warning system and adaptive cruise control aren’t available
- Dated cabin design
Introduced more than 30 years ago, the Toyota 4Runner made its debut in the 1984 model year. It was redesigned in 1990, 1996 and 2003, with the most recent overhaul taking place in 2010. Models that are 2010 or newer offer more cargo space than previous 4Runners, so keep this in mind when making a purchase decision.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Toyota 4Runner
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 4.0L V6 DOHC SMPI
- 270 hp
- Electronic 5-Speed Automatic w/OD
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 4.0L V6 DOHC SMPI
- Transmission: Electronic 5-Speed Automatic w/OD
- 3.727 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 6,100 lbs
- Transmission w/Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 72-Amp/Hr 750CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
- Class III Towing Equipment -inc: Hitch
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- 2 Skid Plates
- 1700lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 23 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0" 6-Spoke Alloy
- Tires: P265/70R17 Mud & Snow
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
- Chrome Bodyside Insert, Rocker Panel Extensions and Body-Colored Fender Flares
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Power Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Wiper Park
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Splash Guards
- Lip Spoiler
- Grille w/Body-Colored Bar
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Auto Off Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Air Filtration
- Radio: Audio Plus -inc: 6.1" high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM/HD Radio, CD player, 8-speakers, auxiliary port, USB 2.0 port, advanced voice recognition, hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology, Scout GPS Link compatible, Siri Eyes Free and SiriusXM satellite radio w/3-month all access trial
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Steering Wheel Controls
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat w/power lumbar support and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Wi-Fi Connect Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- 5 12V DC Power Outlets
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Low Fabric Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, 5 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Windows
- Safety Connect Tracker System
- Smart Device Integration
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 5 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Safety Connect Emergency Sos
- Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) 2.0
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera