Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Roomy for passengers and cargo
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Affordable price
- Strong standard safety gear
Subaru Outback: Everything You Need to Know
About the Subaru Outback:
The new Subaru Outback is a compact SUV. It’s long been the flagship of the Japanese company. Celebrated as the original crossover when it first appeared in the mid-1990s, the Subaru Outback has grown in size, power, and capability.
The Subaru Outback is a safe, practical, and inexpensive family hauler, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Subaru Outback?
The 2019 Subaru Outback is largely unchanged for the current year. Subaru made its EyeSight suite of safety features standard on every model, an important improvement.
The 2019 Subaru Outback is available with the following engines:
- A 2.5-liter 4-cylinder. This entry-level motor comes with 175 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque.
- A 3.6-liter 6-cylinder. This 'flat' design offers 256 horsepower and 247 pound-feet of torque.
All versions of the Subaru Outback feature standard all-wheel drive and a continuously-variable automatic transmission. Fuel efficiency for the 4-cylinder is 25-mpg city and 32-mpg highway. There is a big drop-off for the 6-cylinder: 20-mpg city and 27-mpg highway.
What Does the 2019 Subaru Outback Compete With?
The 2019 Subaru Outback competes against the following vehicles:
The most popular version of the Subaru Outback is the 2.5i Premium. It adds an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system, heated seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and dual automatic climate control over and above the base model's equipment.
The Subaru Outback is a great choice for families who don't want a larger SUV, but who need the security of all-wheel drive plus cargo space.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Subaru Outback
The 2019 Subaru Outback carries over its exterior styling from the year before. It resembles a traditional wagon with a taller than average ride height.
Its long deck gives it room for strapping larger cargo (like Christmas trees and skis) to its roof rails. Its bold front end and muscled fenders also carry suggestions of SUV-like capability.
The style is more individualistic when compared to similarly-sized crossovers. It's also more distinctive than the larger 3-row Subaru Ascent.
The base 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i comes with 17-inch alloy wheels. The 2.5i Premium adds heated mirrors and fog lights.
The 2.5i Limited introduces 18-inch wheels. LED headlights and a panoramic moonroof are optional for the Premium and Limited trim levels.
The 2.5i Touring comes with LED headlights that swivel with the steering wheel and its own unique exterior trim and 18-inch wheels. The 3.6R Limited and 3.6R Touring have a similar appearance to the 2.5i.
Interior Style in the 2019 Subaru Outback
One of the 2019 Subaru Outback's most attractive features is its cargo space. With the rear seats folded forward, the SUV can haul 73.3 cubic feet of gear, which is enough to swallow bicycles and hockey bags with ease. It's quite competitive for its near-mid-size dimensions.
That rear row is also comfortable for passengers when locked in place. With three sitting across, there's enough room for regular adults without much complaint. It also preserves half of the Subaru Outback's hauling capacity, which is nearly double that of the trunk in a traditional large sedan.
LATCH attachments are present and accounted for. There's good storage up front in the center console and glove compartment for larger items like purses or phones.
Up front the view of the road ahead is quite good thanks to the tall seating position in the 2019 Subaru Outback. Moving up to the Limited trim introduces heated seats and leather throughout the cabin (with a higher standard of leather in the Touring). Don't go looking for an upscale
experience inside the Subaru Outback. Feature-wise, It's well-appointed but its finish and materials feel below premium.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Subaru Outback?
The 2019 Subaru Outback delivers an impressive level of technology features, especially when it comes to safety equipment.
The 2019 Subaru Outback comes standard with:
- 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
- EyeSight advanced safety features
- Rearview camera
- Bluetooth connectivity
The 2019 Subaru Outback offers the following tech features and interior gear:
- Advanced safety equipment over-and-above EyeSight
- Power liftgate
- Push-button ignition
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Voice-controlled text messages
- Harman/Kardon audio system
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Subaru Outback?
Every version of the 2019 Subaru Outback comes standard with the EyeSight suite of active safety features. EyeSight uses a pair of stereoscopic cameras that watch the road ahead at all times.
It provides the following driver's aides:
- Forward collision warning with automatic braking. This system watches for objects in the road and can stop the Subaru Outback if necessary.
- Lane departure warning and lane keeping assistance. This feature will warn you if the SUV leaves its lane, and automatically steer it back between the lines if you do not respond.
- Adaptive cruise control. A system that maintains a safe gap between the Subaru Outback and the vehicle ahead of it.
- Additional active safety equipment available with the 2019 Subaru Outback includes:
- Blind spot monitoring. A feature that keeps a lookout for unseen traffic on each side of the SUV. It also watches the lane behind when reversing.
- Automatic emergency braking in reverse. Similar to forward automatic braking, only watching for objects behind the Subaru Outback.
What is the 2019 Subaru Outback Like to Drive?
The 2019 Subaru Outback offers a middle-of-the-road experience in most areas of driving. Its entry-level engine feels adequate, but nothing more, in daily commuting. Its continuously-variable automatic transmission can also be noisy when the engine is pushed hard, joining wind noise inside the cabin. The 6-cylinder is much livelier, but comes at the expense of fuel economy.
The Subaru Outback is only average, providing little steering feel. It is not intended to offer a sporty ride. The majority of pilots will be pleased with its cornering ability and smooth, comfortable ride.
The 2019 Subaru Outback truly excels in bad weather. Its all-wheel drive system makes short work of snow and ice. It has 8.7 inches of ground clearance. An available 'X-Mode' for all-wheel drive helps when driving off-road. Limited mud-and-ruts excursions are quite possible in the SUV.
Should I Buy a 2019 Subaru Outback?
The 2019 Subaru Outback represents a good value for families seeking a combination of safety, cargo space, and all-wheel drive security. It's one of the leading small SUVs in its class.
Should I buy a Used Subaru Outback?
The current Subaru Outback generation dates back to 2015. Good reliability and strong crash test ratings make a used Outback a good buy. Lower trims have fewer standard features.
How Much Does the New 2019 Subaru Outback Cost?
The base 2019 Subaru Outback starts at an MSRP of $26,345. The Outback 3.6R Touring will set you back a heftier $38,995.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Subaru Outback
- Excellent safety equipment, even on base models
- Huge cargo area
- Comfortable ride and cabin
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Fuel mileage is average at best
- 4-cylinder engine has to work hard
- High trim levels don't deliver on luxury
- Transmission can make for noisy driving
The History of the Subaru Outback: 24 years of Outback
When the Subaru Outback arrived on the scene in 1995 it was like nothing else on the market. Offering extra ride height and all-wheel drive in both a wagon and sedan format, it quickly created a new crossover segment still vital today.
Over the years the Outback moved past its Subaru Legacy roots onto its own platform. It expanded in size and offered a number of high performance models in the process. Still, it maintains the same all-weather practicality that makes it so popular among Subaru fans.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Subaru Outback
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.5L DOHC 16 Valve 4-Cylinder
- 182 hp
- Lineartronic Continuously Variable
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.5L DOHC 16 Valve 4-Cylinder -inc: Dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS) Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- Transmission: Lineartronic Continuously Variable -inc: 8-speed manual shift mode, X-mode and Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- 3.90 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,850 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Steering Wheel Paddle Shift Control Switches
- Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" x 7J Black Aluminum Alloy -inc: Machine finish
- Tires: 225/65R17 102H All-Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Grille w/Chrome Bar
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Subaru STARLINK Dual 7.0" Multimedia System -inc: AM/FM stereo, HD Radio, voice activated controls, Bluetooth audio streaming and hands-free phone connectivity w/SMS text messaging (applicable w/compatible cellphone), iPod control capability, SiriusXM All Access radio (subscription required), SiriusXM Travel Link (subscription required), smartphone integration: Android Auto, CarPlay and STARLINK cloud applications, 4 speakers, 3.5mm auxiliary input jack and dual USB input ports
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- Window Grid Antenna
- Siriusxm Traffic Real-Time Traffic Display
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: height and tilt adjustable head restraints, whiplash protection, 6-way manual driver's seat w/height adjuster, 4-way manual passenger seat and seatback pocket
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Voice Activated Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Upholstery -inc: silver stitching
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Vinyl/Rubber Mat
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Cargo Tray/Organizer
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- EyeSight Pre-Collision Braking
- EyeSight Lane Keep Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- EyeSight Lane Keep Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera w/Washer