Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Standard all-wheel-drive system
- Stellar safety ratings
- Comfortable ride
- Intuitive cabin
- Durable and reliable
Subaru Legacy: Everything You Need to Know
About the Model:
The Subaru Legacy is a midsize, 5-passenger sedan. All-wheel drive is standard across the Subaru lineup. The Legacy is the only vehicle in its class to offer the drive type on all trim levels. The Subaru Legacy has been in production since 1989. It’s the Japanese automaker’s flagship vehicle.
What’s New in the 2019 Subaru Legacy?
The 2019 Subaru Legacy is a carryover model but receives several upgrades this year. These include Subaru EyeSight safety technology and rear dual USB ports. An upgraded 5-inch driver information LCD is standard. LED fog lamps are now offered as well.
The Subaru Legacy has two engine choices among five trim levels. Each trim receives a numeric prefix to match its equipped engine. For example, the base 2.5-liter 4-cylinder is standard on the Legacy 2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Sport, and 2.5i Limited. A 3.6-liter 6-cylinder is matched with the Legacy 3.6R Limited.
The 2.5-liter engine has an output of 175 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque. The 3.5-liter offers 256 horsepower and 247 pound-feet of torque. All 2019 Subaru Legacy models have a continuously variable transmission. The drivetrain also features paddle shifters and a 6-speed manual mode.
Fuel economy for 2019 Subaru Legacy 2.5i models is EPA-rated at 25 city, 34 highway, and 29 combined mpg. The 3.6-liter is estimated to return 20 city, 28 highway, and 23 combined mpg. All Subaru Legacy vehicles require only regular (87 octane) fuel.
What Does the 2019 Subaru Legacy Compete With?
The Subaru Legacy competes with the following vehicles:
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Ford Fusion
- Honda Accord
- Hyundai Sonata
- Kia Optima
- Mazda 6
- Nissan Altima
- Toyota Camry
- Volkswagen Passat
Even as crossovers and SUVs command more sales, there is still a multi-million-unit market for cars. Midsize sedans continue to offer value, practicality, and safety. The segment offers fuel-saving variants, from high-efficiency gas engines to plug-in hybrid models.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Subaru Legacy
Available LED fog lights are the lone update for the 2019 Subaru Legacy’s exterior. For the most part, the Subaru Legacy is representative of the segment’s overall styling. Subarus are inoffensive, traditional, and mild.
Some midsize sedans can distinctive. For example, the Kia Optima and Mazda6 showcase elegant character lines and proportions. But the Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry with aggressive front grilles may be too bold for some.
If you prefer a more subtle appearance, the 2019 Subaru Legacy is worth a look.
Interior Style in the 2019 Subaru Legacy
The interior design of the 2019 Subaru Legacy keeps with the subtle theme. Cloth upholstery is standard with available leather seat trims. Like its exterior, the cabin of the Subaru Legacy is basic but functional. Buttons and controls are intuitively positioned. The Subaru Legacy is comfortable if not the most spacious.
Year-over-year changes are reflected in new features for the base 2.5i model. An overhead console night light and an enhanced instrument panel display is standard. A Homelink-ready, thin-frame auto-dimming mirror is stock on all but the entry model.
The 2019 Subaru Legacy offers these interior amenities:
- 60/40-split fold-down rear seats
- 10-way power-adjustable driver seat
- Dual-zone climate control
- Illuminated door handles and overhead console
- Contrast-stitching on frequent-touch surfaces
- Wood grain patterns
Technology: What Technology Comes in the 2019 Subaru Legacy?
The 2019 Subaru Legacy welcomes minor but appreciated technology revisions. All models are set with four USB ports—two each for the front and rear. The updated Subaru Starlink multimedia system and rearview camera is standard.
The 2019 Subaru Legacy features Subaru Starlink with a 6.5-inch touchscreen. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth are stock. An AM/FM/HD radio, Sirius XM, Aha and Pandora music and a single-disc CD player provide entertainment.
An upgraded 8-inch touchscreen is offered in the Legacy. This includes voice-activated controls, hands-free text messaging, and near-field device communication. Connected services and navigation are options. Standard audio is four speakers. A 12-speaker, 576-watt Harman Kardon surround system is an upgrade.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Subaru Legacy?
Safety is a pillar of the Subaru brand. As expected, the 2019 Subaru Legacy earned the highest possible safety ratings in crash worthiness. The Subaru Legacy is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ and has a 5-Star overall score from NHTSA.
The 2019 Subaru Legacy comes standard with the EyeSight suite of driver-assist technologies. All models have adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and lane keep assist.
The Legacy has blind spot monitoring, lane change assist, and rear cross-traffic alert. An incline assist and hill holder plus automatic wiper-linked headlights are standard. High-beam assist, reverse automatic braking and adaptive front headlights are options.
What is the 2019 Subaru Legacy Like to Drive?
All-wheel-drive is standard on all trims of the 2019 Subaru Legacy, a key advantage over competitors. Only the Ford Fusion and Nissan Altima offer such capability in this segment. AWD is not offered on the base model Ford Fusion but is available on all Nissan Altima trims. AWD provides more vehicle stability and a confident driving manner even on dry roads.
In terms of the power, the standard 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine’s 175 horsepower sits toward the back of the class. The available 3.6-liter 6-cylinder with 256 horsepower is surprisingly just as tepid.
Smaller-displacement competitors like the Honda Accord and Mazda6 offer as much power and better dynamic feel. The Accord’s turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder registers at 252 horsepower. The 2.5-liter turbo-four in the Mazda6 offers 250 horsepower. When paired with a CVT, the Subaru Legacy is not very engaging.
Should I Buy a 2019 Subaru Legacy?
An all-new, redesigned 2020 Subaru Legacy is expected to go on sale in late 2019. Its main points are a new platform for a quieter and more stable ride. It will feature revised styling inside and out, updated more powerful engines, and additional safety. The 2019 Subaru Legacy may see a price reduction thanks to the incoming next generation. This provides an opportunity for budget-conscious fans to buy a Legacy.
In the realm of midsize family sedans, the Subaru Legacy doesn’t present itself as the best buy. Competitors are not only offering AWD but also hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions. The Subaru Legacy comes at a steep price considering its design, dynamics, and features.
Should I Buy a Used Subaru Legacy? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Subaru hold value better than other automakers. Owners are loyal to the brand, which is reflected in a recent study. Subaru ranked third in percentage of original owners who kept the vehicle for 15-plus years. The top two spots were taken by mega-manufacturers Honda and Toyota. Subaru is recognized for being safe, dependable, and reliable. That durability and brand cache make purchasing a used Subaru Legacy an affordable option.
How Much Does the 2019 Subaru Legacy Cost?
The 2019 Subaru Legacy 2.5i starts at $22,545 with the 3.6R Limited starting at $31,545. On the base 2.5i model, only a wheel package is available. This replaces the standard steel wheels with premium aluminum alloys. Additional amenities and safety features become accessible with the 2.5i Premium. A fully-loaded Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited adds up to $33,695. Destination is $885 extra as are any dealer-installed accessories.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Subaru Legacy
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Top-notch safety
- Intuitive cabin
- Wallflower styling
- Relaxed steering feel
- Underwhelming engine performance
The History of Subaru Legacy: 30 Years of Legacy
Introduced in 1989, the Subaru Legacy was available in 4-door sedan and 5-door wagon body styles with optional all-wheel drive. The Legacy was been involved in rally racing and speed records from the get-go. A lifted-suspension version known as the Legacy Outback joined the lineup in 1996. This eventually became its own model, the Outback.
Sold worldwide, the Subaru Legacy will welcome its seventh generation with for the 2020 model year. Production for the North American market takes place at Subaru of Indiana Automotive in Lafayette, Indiana.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Subaru Legacy
- Body Style
- 2.5L DOHC 16 Valve 4-Cylinder
- 182 hp
- Lineartronic CVT
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.5L DOHC 16 Valve 4-Cylinder -inc: Dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS) variable valve timing, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and direct injection
- Transmission: Lineartronic CVT -inc: steering wheel paddle-shift control switches, 8-speed manual shift mode, lock-up torque converter and adaptive control
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
- 3.70 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0" Black Finish Steel -inc: silver finish full wheel covers
- Tires: 225/55R17 97V All Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Rocker Panel Extensions
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Grille w/Chrome Bar
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Subaru STARLINK Dual 7.0" Multimedia System -inc: AM/FM stereo, HD Radio, voice activated controls, Bluetooth audio streaming and hands-free phone connectivity w/SMS text messaging (applicable w/compatible cellphone), iPod control capability, SiriusXM All Access radio (subscription required), SiriusXM Travel Link (subscription required), smartphone integration: Android Auto, CarPlay and STARLINK cloud applications, 4 speakers, 3.5mm auxiliary input jack and front dual USB ports
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver's seat w/reclining seatback, height adjuster and seat fore/aft adjustment, 4-way manual passenger seat w/reclining seatback and seat fore/aft adjustment, height and tilt adjustable head restraints and whiplash reducing protection
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Voice Activated Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Upholstery w/Silver Stitching
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Delay Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim and Carpet Mat
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- EyeSight Pre-Collision Braking
- EyeSight Lane Keep Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- EyeSight Lane Keep Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera