Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine
- Six-speed manual or automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
- Torsen limited slip differential
- Optional Brembo brake system
Subaru BRZ: Everything You Need to Know
About the Subaru BRZ:
The Subaru BRZ is the first-ever two-seat sports coupe from the Japanese automaker. The BRZ is also the only Subaru that does not offer all-wheel drive. It is sold only with rear-wheel drive. Despite this, the BRZ has attracted a loyal fan base among Subaru buyers. They love its edgy styling and crisp handling.
The BRZ is a pure sports car. The fastback coupe is the only body style available, and it is limited to just two trim levels. If you are looking for an exciting, reliable sports car, the BRZ is a perfect choice.
What’s New in the Current 2019 Subaru BRZ?
The 2019 Subaru BRZ is offered in a special “Series.Gray” limited edition. This model is painted a special Cool Gray Khaki color, with 17-inch black alloy wheels, and black exterior trim. Only 250 of the unique BRZ Series.Gray will be built.
The standard BRZ trim level is called Premium, and the upper trim is Limited. Both versions have a long list of features, but the higher-priced Limited includes these extras:
- Heated leather seats
- Multi-function driver display
- Zone climate control
- 7.0-inch touchscreen media player
- Dual USB ports
- Keyless push-button start
- Anti-theft security system
The BRZ Limited can be ordered with an optional performance package. This includes special 17-inch gray wheels, Brembo performance brakes, and Sachs performance shock absorbers.
What Does the 2019 Subaru BRZ Compete With?
The Subaru BRZ competes directly with just a few lightweight four-cylinder sports cars:
Among these options, the Mazda Miata is the market leader with thirty years of production. The Fiat 124 is closely related to the Miata, but has not yet become a popular choice. The Toyota 86 is the closest match to the BRZ, sharing most of its bodywork and mechanical components with the Subaru.
With only two standard trims available, selecting a BRZ is easy. The Premium trim is more basic, and suited for racing. The BRZ Limited offers more features and costs just $3,000 more. Priced so close together, there’s little reason not to choose the Limited.
The BRZ can be a good commuter car when equipped with the automatic transmission. However, the soul of the Subaru is a sports car. Most buyers will choose the manual gearbox and use the BRZ for fun.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Subaru BRZ
Apart from the Series.Gray special edition, there are not many differences between the exterior look of the BRZ Premium and Limited trims. The Limited includes some small features such as LED fog lights and heated side mirrors, but that’s all.
What you get with either trim is a very good-looking sports car. Subaru got the design just right. The BRZ looks sporty, without appearing overly aggressive. The wheels are matched to the body in size and color.
The fastback design is similar to many great Japanese and European sports cars of the past. Subaru gave the BRZ a long front end to place the engine mostly behind the front wheels. That gives the BRZ excellent balance on the road. The designers also included large windows for great visibility.
Notable external features include:
- LED headlights
- Daytime running lights
- Trunk spoiler
- 17-inch wheels
- 4.9-inch ground clearance
Interior Style in the 2019 Subaru BRZ
The interior of the BRZ is not roomy. Larger and taller drivers may feel cramped inside. However, if you fit well inside, the BRZ is a comfortable ride. The seats offer good support for spirited driving. If you opt for the BRZ Limited, its heated seats are great for long trips.
The BRZ provides 6.9 cubic feet of cargo space, which is only enough for two small suitcases. It’s a suitable ride to the grocery store, but no one would call this car practical.
As a two-seat sports car, it’s not the best choice for ferrying children. The passenger seat does include LATCH anchors for a child safety seat, but are likely intended for occasional use only.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Subaru BRZ?
Subaru puts a lot of technology into the BRZ. The base Premium trim includes a 6.2-inch touchscreen display that runs the Starlink infotainment system. The system supports Bluetooth hands-free phone calls and streaming. A CD player is provided, along with Sirius satellite radio.
The BRZ Limited includes a 7.0-inch touchscreen with more features. This system supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Special features like Sirius traffic reports are also supported.
The BRZ Limited also includes other cabin tech features such as a 4.2-inch driver information display on the dash. Zone climate control, keyless entry, and push button start are also part of the Limited package.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Subaru BRZ?
The BRZ was not designed to showcase advanced safety features. The car comes with basic stability control and anti-lock brakes with brake assist. There are daytime running lights and a tire pressure monitoring system as well. Of course, a full set of airbags is included.
The BRZ was awarded four stars in frontal crash tests by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
What is the 2019 Subaru BRZ Like to Drive?
If you like to drive, you will love the BRZ. The engine and exhaust have been tuned to a sporty growl. The manual transmission is crisp and the clutch is easy to use. There’s plenty of engine power to get on the freeway or pass slower traffic.
You’ll feel the near-perfect balance of the BRZ in corners. The car goes where you want it to go, and it eats up curves. You’ll want to keep an eye on the speedometer, because it’s easy to go fast in this car.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Subaru BRZ?
After seven years of production, the BRZ is the best it’s ever been. Subaru receives consistently high ratings for quality, and BRZ owners are happy with their cars. A 2019 BRZ is an excellent choice for anyone looking for basic transportation, or a fun reward for success at work.
Best of all, the BRZ is not expensive. Don’t be scared away by the sports car label. With fuel economy up to 33 mpg on the highway and 24 mpg in the city, the automatic transmission BRZ won’t kill you at the pump. The manual transmission is almost as good, with EPA ratings of 21/29 mpg city/highway.
Should I buy a Used Subaru BRZ? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The BRZ has remained largely the same since the beginning, so any year is a good choice. The BRZ gets a three-year, 36,000-mile standard warranty, and the powertrain is covered for five years or 60,000 miles. It should be easy to find a newer BRZ that still has some of its warranty coverage.
Note that Subaru offers a Certified Pre-Owned plan that includes a comprehensive inspection and warranty extension. The dealer should mention CPO cars when you visit.
How Much Does the New Subaru BRZ Cost?
The 2019 BRZ Premium retails for $25,795, and the BRZ Limited costs $28,645. A destination fee of $885 applies to all purchases. With the optional performance package and destination fee included, a new 2019 Subaru BRZ Limited costs $30,725.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Subaru BRZ
- Excellent handling
- Effective braking
- Great exterior design
- Affordable price
- Could use more engine power
- Limited cargo space
History of the Subaru BRZ
The Subaru BRZ was the result of a project between Toyota and Subaru. The two companies wanted to make a traditional lightweight sports car to compete with the Mazda Miata. Toyota first marketed the car as the Scion FR-S, and then later as the Toyota 86. Subaru has always called its car the BRZ. All Toyota and Subaru versions of the car are made at Subaru’s factory in Gunma, Japan.
The BRZ was released in 2012, and won many international awards. Subaru has sold over 30,000 units of the BRZ. Buyers love the car’s personality, and many amateur racers use it for competition.
Several special edition BRZ models have been produced, including the Series.Gray, Series.Blue, and 50th anniversary edition. Generally speaking, BRZ special editions have been appearance-oriented rather than performance-oriented.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Subaru BRZ
- Body Style
- 2.0L DOHC 16V 4-Cylinder
- 205 hp
- 6-Speed Close-Ratio Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16V 4-Cylinder -inc: Dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS), variable valve timing and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- Transmission: 6-Speed Close-Ratio Manual
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 4.30 Axle Ratio
- 48-Amp/Hr 390CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
- 130 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 13.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0" Black Alloy w/Machine Finish
- Tires: 215/45R17 87W Summer Performance
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Wing Spoiler
- Black Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Subaru STARLINK 7.0" Multimedia Nav System -inc: AM/FM stereo HD radio w/navigation system, multi-touch gesture high resolution 7.0" LCD display screen, voice activated audio and navigation controls, Bluetooth audio streaming connectivity, Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity, Bluetooth hands-free SMS text messaging connectivity (applicable w/compatible cell phone), Near Field Communication (NFC), iPod control capability, SiriusXM all access radio (subscription required), SiriusXM Traffic (subscription required), SiriusXM Travel Link (subscription required), smartphone integration for Aha, Android Auto, CarPlay, Pandora and STARLINK cloud applications, 8 speakers, dual USB input ports and steering wheel control switches for audio system and Bluetooth
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack and Radio Data System
- 196w Regular Amplifier
- Automatic Equalizer
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Performance Design Front Heated Bucket Seats -inc: reclining, full width seat fore/aft adjustment lever on front seats, height adjustable driver seat, whiplash reducing protection and height adjustable head restraints
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Rear Seat Easy Entry
- Full Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Leatherette Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Aluminum Gear Shift Knob
- Alcantara Upholstery w/Leather & Red Stitching -inc: red embroidered BRZ logo
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Delay Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera