Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Outstanding exterior and interior design
- Very smooth ride
- Multiple configurations
- Very fresh and easy-to-use tech (though optional)
- Higher tow ratings than some others in class
2019 Ram 1500: Everything You Need to Know
About the Ram 1500
Ram completely redesigned the 1500 pickup in all its six different trims for 2019, winning multiple awards. New bodywork, new interiors, a host of tech updates join the refreshed frame and suspension.
What's New in the 2019 Ram 1500?
The 2019 Ram 1500 is completely new and, in many ways, tops the pickup truck market. This new Ram leads the segment in providing simple-to-use, sophisticated tech features through an optional 12-inch touchscreen central dash display. That tech, though optional, also includes 4G Wi-Fi connectivity and a 900-watt, 19-speaker audio system, the most powerful system ever fitted in a pickup.
The new frame is more rigid than the 2018 truck's frame, enabling a higher tow rating of 12,750 pounds. The 2019 Ram 1500 lost over 200 pounds versus the 2018 model. There's also a new multifunction tailgate available for the Ram 1500, which splits the tailgate in two so that you can open just part of it like a car door.
What Does the Ram 1500 Compete With?
As a full-size, "light-duty" pickup, the Ram 1500 competes with the following models:
The 2019 Ram 1500 is an excellent choice in the light-duty, full-size pickup segment. It offers the best combination of design, interior layout, thoughtful convenience features, drivability and sheer comfort. It only lacks a diesel engine option (the heavier-duty Ram 2500 offers a Cummins diesel). An EcoDiesel engine arrives in 2020 for the 1500. Exterior Design of the 2019 Ram 1500 New bodywork includes a new, more streamlined and less blocky front end. Slimmer headlights, simpler door and side panels, plus redesigned taillights and tailgate complete the look. It all adds up to an elegant looking pickup. All Ram 1500s come in either a QuadCab or CrewCab body configuration. This means they all have four doors, though CrewCabs have larger rear doors and more rear seat legroom. The Ram 1500 can also be ordered in LongBed form (a 6-foot, 4-inch long cargo bed), rather than the standard one (5-foot, 7-inches long).
Interior Style in the 2019 Ram 1500
Inside, the Ram 1500's all-new interior is really the class of the truck field. Controls are all well-placed. There is tons of room in both the front and back seats. The quality of materials and the thoughtful nature of the interior's design is what sets it apart. Storage bins are everywhere. There's two small storage areas under the rear floor which can hold ice, creating built-in coolers for drinks or food. The center console has vast storage space. It can be reconfigured and securely holds a laptop plus two tablets. Ram claims the rear seat is the largest of the full-size trucks and we believe it. There's four inches more rear legroom that the 2018 truck. The top Limited version of the 1500 adds leather, genuine wood inserts and other fancy trim. The 2019 Ram 1500 comes standard with push-button start, Bluetooth, three USB ports and a Uconnect infotainment system with a 5-inch touchscreen. An optional, 8.4-inch or a huge 12-inch fast-acting touchscreen works far better than the standard small unit. These operate the audio, climate, navigation and infotainment systems.
Those audio controls connect to the most powerful audio system ever installed by a factory in a truck with 900 watts of power and 19 speakers. The downside here is that the very large and fast-acting 12-inch screen, plus satellite radio, the big stereo, and an upgraded Uconnect system, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, a wireless charging pad and navigation are all optional.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Ram 1500?
The 2019 Ram 1500 offers Bluetooth, Uconnect, and three USB ports as standard equipment.
Most of the available tech features are optional. These include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a 8.4- or 12-inch touchscreen, wireless charging pad, and navigation.
What Kind of Safety Features Are Included in the 2019 Ram 1500?
The way pickup trucks are built, most features are not included on the base model. Those base models are offered to operators of large fleets and businesses that need very basic delivery services. So, like other trucks, the Ram 1500 comes standard mostly with just the safety features required by the government. These include stability control, a back-up camera, anti-lock brakes, tire pressure warning system and air bags.
The following active safety systems are optional:
- Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keeping assist
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Parking sensors (front and rear)
- Parking assist
- Surround-view camera
What is the 2019 Ram 1500 Like to Drive?
The Ram 1500 has an excellent ride and handles and stops with outstanding ability for a truck. The Ram's rear suspension uses coil springs rather than leaf springs like the Ford, Chevy and GMC. In the upper trim levels like Laramie, Longhorn and Limited, air springs are offered, which improve the ride quality. They can also lower the truck's rear end for easier loading of large or heavy objects. The Ram uses the largest brakes in the class, making for very strong stopping power.
The standard 3.6-liter V6 engine makes 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. That can be boosted by an optional e-Torque system, using an electric motor that adds 90 pound-feet of torque. But most Ram 1500s are built with the 5.7-liter Hemi V8 engine, producing 395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet of torque. It's powerful enough to tow 12,750 pounds and haul a maximum payload of 2,320 pounds. That V8 can also be optioned with its own version of the e-Torque system, generating an additional 130 pound-feet of torque. One of two different 8-speed automatics is offered, depending on engine and whether the truck has two- or four-wheel-drive. And with no load to tow, acceleration is very brisk.
Should I Buy a New 2019 Ram 1500?
Frankly, we can't find much about the 2019 Ram 1500 to criticize. It is simply the best of the field. It looks great. It works great. It hauls and tows great. And when fitted with the available e-Torque mild hybrid drivetrain, it's relatively efficient for a big truck. And it rides, handles and brakes better than the competition. The very top trims get expensive, but this is also true for its competitors.
Should I Buy a Used Ram 1500?
The Ram 1500 is totally redesigned for the 2019 model year. Compared to the previous model, the new one features many design and function changes. Towing and hauling are improved and mild hybrid systems boost engine torque and efficiency. The 2019 model's available tech package with the optional, huge 12-inch touch screen, plus new active safety systems also make a big difference compared to the 2018 model. You simply cannot all of that on any 2018 or earlier Ram. Shopping for a used 2018 or earlier Ram 1500 might save you a lot of money, but you won't have the benefits of the redesign and updated tech.
How Much Does the 2019 Ram 1500 Cost?
The Ram 1500 starts $33,490 for the Tradesman trim, which is intended to be a work truck for contractors and buyers that use their truck on the job. The most expensive version of the 1500 Limited (in Crew Cab Longbed 4x4 trim) starts at $58,735.
All prices include an industry-topping destination charge of $1,695, and options can take the Limited up to near $70,000. But a well-equipped middle range Ram 1500 like the Laramie with the V8 engine and important convenience features costs around $46,500.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Ram 1500
- Exterior redesign makes for an elegant truck
- Interior is laid out very well and roomy, with great attention to detail and easy-to-use tech
- Ride quality better than the competition
- Lots of storage inside
- Better towing capacity than many in class
- No diesel engine option for better fuel efficiency over gas engines and extra towing capacity (though one is coming in 2020)
- Optional Ram boxes on bed sides cost bed cargo space
- While the top safety and convenience tech is excellent, virtually all of it is optional
The History of the Ram 1500
Dodge fully switched to the new name branding of "Ram" in 1994, though it had begun to use the "Dodge Ram" name in 1981 and used it as far back as the 1930s.
With that first proper "Ram" of 1994, the company brought a new big truck-like front end design to the pickup market. This separated the Ram from all others, at least visually. Ram also began offering heavy-duty diesel engines in their pickups from Cummins, making those Ram pickups very popular with people who tow heavy loads. The new 2019 Ram 1500 is built in Michigan.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Ram 1500
- Body Style
- Quad Cab
- 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque UPG I
- 305 - 395 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic (850RE)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque UPG I
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic (850RE)
- 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 7,100 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 730CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
- 48V Belt Starter Generator
- Class III Towing Equipment -inc: Hitch and Trailer Sway Control
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- 2300lbs. Maximum Payload
- HD Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 23 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Short And Long Arm Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery
- Wheels: 18" x 7.5" Steel Painted
- Tires: 275/65R18 BSW All Season
- Regular Box Style
- Wheels w/Hub Covers
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Rear Step Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Illuminated Front Cupholder
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Black Grille
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Cargo Lamp w/High Mount Stop Light
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: Uconnect 3 w/5" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- 6 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- 4-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- Manual Adjust 4-Way Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- Manual Adjust 4-Way Front Passenger Seat
- Front Facing Vinyl Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Engine Hour Meter and Trip Odometer
- Power Rear Windows
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Rear Folding Seat
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Glove Box
- Interior Trim -inc: Deluxe Sound Insulation, Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Heavy Duty Vinyl 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Passenger Visor Vanity Mirror
- Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Vinyl/Rubber Floor Covering
- Pickup Cargo Box Lights
- Instrument Panel Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Vinyl Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
- 4 Way Front Headrests
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera