Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Base model offers 300 horsepower
- Luxury interior design
- Three models to choose from
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi
- Convertible design
Porsche designed its 2019 Porsche 718 Boxster to be one of the top sports cars on the market. With three different models to choose from at varying prices, there's a 718 Boxster for everyone.
The 718, which some car enthusiasts refer to as the "Baby 911," is no slouch in terms of power. The base model features 300 horsepower, which allows it to go to 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds. This comes close to achieving the 370 horsepower and the 4.4 seconds to reach 60 mph that the 911 model achieves.
The Boxster engine is a four-cylinder turbo that produces 309 pound-feet of torque. The 2019 Porsche 718 Boxster offers acceptable fuel economy when you compare it to other sports cars in its class. The manual version 718 gets 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
Porsche claims that you can improve the miles per gallon of the 718 Boxster when you opt for the PDK transmission. PDK is an acronym that stands for Porsche Doppel Kupplungs, which translates from German into Porsche double-clutch transmission. The PDK automatic transmission offers 21 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, which increases the time between gas stops.
What's New with the Boxster?
Like with its 911, Cayman, Macan, and Panamera models, Porsche made subtle changes with the 718 for 2019. Some of these subtle changes in 2019 include:
- The addition of a sport exhaust system, which was an optional feature in the 2018 model
- Adding Porsche's Car Connect System, which was only an optional add-on for the 718 in 2018
The Addition of the Porsche 718 Boxster GTS
Most car enthusiasts assumed that Porsche wouldn't make any big changes to the Porsche 718 in 2019. That's because the 718 underwent a big overhaul in 2018 with the addition of the Boxster GTS model.
The addition of a GTS model for the Boxster wasn't new for Porsche. In fact, its Macan, 911, and Cayenne vehicles also have GTS models. This is a common model that Porsche offers for most of its cars.
Safety Features of the Porsche 718 Boxster
Porsche aims to keep drivers safe when they buy its cars. For that reason, the Boxster comes with the following safety features:
- Rollover protection
- Airbags and Porsche Side Impact Protection System
- High-performance brakes
- Bi-Xenon headlights with daytime LED running lights
New to the Porsche 718 is the four-piston aluminum monobloc fixed calipers. This addition gives the brakes a more rapid response time. Brakes of this kind are important when dealing with a car that offers performance on the level of the Boxster.
Similar to the Cayman, Panamera, and Cayenne, the Porsche 718 has a convertible option. With any convertible sports car, rollover protection is a top priority. The Porsche 718 features steel rollover bars behind each seat to provide extra protection.
What Are the Different Models Available for the Boxster 718?
Just like the 718 Cayman, the Boxster 718 has three main models. These include:
- Porsche 718 Boxster
- Porsche 718 Boxster S
- Porsche 718 Boxster GTS
Each vehicle varies in price depending on the performance and features. You'll notice a moderate improvement in the overall engine performance with each model upgrade.
The Power Differences between the Porsche 718 Boxster Models
The base model of the 718 Boxster has a 300-horsepower engine and a top speed of 170 mph. The 718 Boxster features a 365-horsepower engine with a top speed of 180 mph. The 718 Boxster S falls in the middle with 350 horsepower and a top speed of 180 mph.
Unless you're out on a test track, though, you won't notice much of a difference in the overall engine performance. The noticeable changes come from features that are standard with the GTS model compared to the base model.
Of course, you always have the choice of adding features that you want to the base model. However, adding a bunch of features can significantly raise the cost of the car. To keep costs low, it's best to choose the model that has the trim features that you want.
Interior Style of the 718 Boxster
Just like other cars that Porsche offers, the interior design has hints of sophistication. Similar to the 718 Cayman and Cayenne, the Boxster features leather and aluminum accents. Like the Cayman, the Boxster has more leather if you choose the leather trim option.
When you search for a sports car that offers a comfortable driving experience, you can't go wrong with the Boxster. The interior features only two seats. However, Porsche focused on making these seats as comfortable as possible.
You'll love your easy-to-reach steering wheel controls, which let you focus on the drive. These controls make it easy to answer phone calls and adjust the music while you're on the road. The Boxster also features a 7-inch multitouch screen with optional navigation add-ons.
Keep in mind that the 7-inch touch display doesn't play videos. In fact, most auto display screens don't support videos for safety reasons.
Unfortunately, the cabin storage space is small when compared to some other Porsche models, such as the Panamera or Macan. However, this is a common problem that many two-seat sports cars have. Also, since the car is a two-seater, it features no rear seats.
Exterior Style of the Boxster
The exterior appearance of the 718 is almost just as impressive as its turbo performance. Similar to the 718 Cayman, the Boxster has smooth lines that make it look sporty. It's also available in a wide array of colors.
Porsche didn't just want the Boxster to feature a lot of power. It wanted the car to look as if it has power as well. For that reason, it's equipped with red calipers that stand out against its alloy rims.
At top speeds, you have to ensure that you can see where you're driving. That's why the Boxster features Porsche's Dynamic Light System with LED lights. These are not only long-lasting but also very bright.
What's It Like to Drive a Boxster?
People who take the Boxster for a test drive are typically happy with the way it handles. The vehicle is easy to drive and maneuvers well at high speeds. There are even a number of videos that compare the Porsche 718 Boxster racing well against new higher-end sports cars thanks to its quick-reacting steering wheel.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Porsche 718 Boxster
- High-performance turbo cylinder engine
- Good auto fuel economy for a sports car
- Auto convertible top
- Option for a 7-speed manual transmission or an automatic PDK
- Rear engine gives the wheels more traction
- Low price point compared to other Porsche vehicles
- Engine produces a large amount of torque for a four-cylinder engine
- Noisy cabin at cruising speeds
- Limited storage room both inside and outside of the car
- Doesn't feature as much power as some of the other mainline Porsche vehicles
- Few exterior design changes between the different price models
- The turbo engine will reduce the car's fuel efficiency
When the Boxster was first manufactured in 1997, it had a style similar to the 550 Spyder of the 1950s. The Boxster release came during a troubling year for Porsche. The company was struggling to create a vehicle that had the style and power that people wanted at a price they could afford.
The low price point of the Boxster made it one of the best standout options for the media and public alike. It's hard to find a sports car that offers so much power with such a low price. To this day, Porsche has kept this view, and the Boxster is still one of the cheaper vehicles that it offers.
From the wheels to the transmission, the performance of the Boxster went toe-to-toe with other rear-wheel drive cars. According to Porsche, however, the search for the perfect affordable sports car was over.
If you're still searching for a sports car, the 2019 Boxster may be for you. While there are many sports cars out there, it's hard to find one that offers more than the Porsche 718 Boxster.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Porsche 718 Boxster
- Body Style
- 2.0L 4-Cyl Horizontally Opposed Alum Alloy
- 300 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- DVD Player
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L 4-Cyl Horizontally Opposed Alum Alloy -inc: direct fuel injection
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual -inc: two-plate clutch, dual mass flywheel and auto start/stop function
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.89 Axle Ratio
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 14.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Polished Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Strut Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" Boxster Design -inc: alloy wheels w/minimalist five-spoke design
- Tires: P235/45ZR18 Fr & P265/45ZR18 Rr
- Wheels w/Silver Accents w/Locks
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Power Convertible Top w/Lining, Glass Rear Window, Fixed Roll-Over Protection and Manual Wind Blocker
- Power Spoiler
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Headlamps w/Washer and Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Porsche Communication Management (PCM) -inc: mobile phone preparation and audio interfaces, sound package plus, 6 loudspeakers, 110-watt total output w/integrated amplifier and digital signal processing
- SiriusXM AM/FM/HD/Satellite w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Radio Data System, DVD-Audio, External Memory Control and 11 Gb Internal Memory
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 2-Way Sport Seats -inc: electric backrest adjustment and manual fore/aft and height adjustment
- 6-Way Driver Seat
- 6-Way Passenger Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Oil Temperature, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Illuminated Ignition Switch
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Aluminum/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Partial Leather Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Locking Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Interior Concealed Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Power Door Locks
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Fixed Front Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera
- Ordering Combination Code : -X