Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Spacious back seat
- Fuel-efficient engine
- Affordable price
- Sleek styling
Nissan Sentra: Everything You Need to Know
About the Nissan Sentra:
The Nissan Sentra is a compact sedan that is primarily aimed at entry-level buyers and those looking for economical transportation. Still, it offers a comfortable ride and can be equipped with a decent array of convenience features.
The Nissan Sentra has been available in a wide range of body styles and models over the last 37 years. It is currently offered only as an affordable, small four-door car. The 2019 Sentra is inexpensive, spacious, and fuel-efficient, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Nissan Sentra?
The 2019 Nissan Sentra does not have any significant changes for the current model year, but some equipment and option packages have been moved around. All but the base cars receive Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and the SV Special Edition package has been added to the options list.
The 2019 Nissan Sentra comes standard with a 1.8-liter, four-cylinder engine. It’s good for 124 horsepower and 125 pound-feet of torque when matched with its continuously-variable automatic transmission (CVT). The base S model comes with a six-speed manual that brings with it six extra horsepower and three more pound-feet of torque. Fuel economy is rated as high as 29 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway for this engine.
The 2019 Nissan Sentra is also available with a 1.6-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder motor. It bumps up to 188 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque. It also offers the same transmission choices. Fuel economy is a more modest 27 mpg city and 33 mpg highway.
What Does the Nissan Sentra Compete With?
The Nissan Sentra competes with vehicles that include:
The most popular version of the 2019 Nissan Sentra is the SV trim, which is one step above the base S model. It comes with 16-inch alloy wheels, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and satellite radio. It also improves on the interior finishings and upholstery, and includes dual-zone automatic climate control.
Other trim levels are SR, SR Turbo, Nismo and SL. Higher trims add comfort and convenience amenities. The SR Turbo and Nismo models also include the more powerful engine, as well as a number of other performance-oriented features.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Nissan Sentra
The 2019 Nissan Sentra still looks good despite not having been redesigned in six years. It features clean, flowing lines and shares much of its styling with larger, more premium Nissan vehicles. The SR, SR Turbo, and NISMO models add flair via sporty body panels and exterior trim.
Entry-level S versions of the 2019 Nissan Sentra come with 16-inch steel wheels. The Sentra SV moves up to 16-inch alloy wheels. It’s also available with the SV Special package, which includes 17-inch wheels and a sunroof. The top-tier SL comes with LED headlights and taillights.
The Nissan Sentra SR comes with an aerodynamic body kit. It also includes fog lights, LED headlights, and the option of a sunroof. The SR Turbo maintains the same look, and adds the sunroof as standard equipment. The NISMO goes for full-on performance looks and rides on sport-tuned suspension and 18-inch wheels.
Interior Style in the 2019 Nissan Sentra
The 2019 Nissan Sentra's ace in the hole is its spacious interior. Front passengers have plenty of space to stretch out. It's also easy to see out of the Sentra thanks to its large windows. Trim can feel somewhat basic in the S model, but controls are well laid out overall. Heated leather seats are available on pricier trim levels. The NISMO introduces an aggressive performance theme throughout the cabin.
The Sentra delivers more backseat room and a taller ceiling height than most of its competitors. It's very nearly the equal of a larger-class sedan in terms of cabin size. You can actually fit three across on the rear bench seat.
Equally impressive is the trunk. Measuring in at 15 cubic feet, it provides midsize hauling in a compact-car format. The rear seatback folds forward to handle longer items. And LATCH child-seat attachments are included.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Nissan Sentra?
The 2019 Nissan Sentra offers an acceptable level of technology for its price point. It’s not as new as the majority of its rivals, which means it is a step behind in terms of advanced features.
All versions of the 2019 Nissan Sentra come standard with:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Bluetooth connectivity
- USB port
- Cruise control
- Rearview camera
The 2019 Nissan Sentra can be ordered with tech features that include:
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Satellite radio
- 5.0-inch LCD gauge cluster display
- Bose premium audio system
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Nissan Sentra?
The 2019 Nissan Sentra offers a fair amount of advanced safety equipment. The vehicle must be ordered with the automatic transmission to benefit from it, however. This means that base S model cars don't have access to any active safety features. The same applies to performance models like the NISMO and the SR Turbo.
Optional safety gear for the 2019 Nissan Sentra includes:
- Forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking. This system can warn the driver and halt the vehicle if an impact seems imminent.
- Blind-spot monitoring. A feature that keeps an eye on either side of the vehicle for unseen traffic.
- Adaptive cruise control. This system monitors traffic ahead and automatically maintains a safe distance.
- Rear cross-traffic alert. This feature warns the driver of approaching traffic when the Sentra is backing up.
What is the 2019 Nissan Sentra Like to drive?
The 2019 Nissan Sentra is a bread-and-butter sedan. It is designed to offer comfortable transportation on the daily commute. It can also provide a relatively quiet and calm environment for longer road trips.
If you're expecting any kind of engagement from the Nissan Sentra, you will be disappointed. In all but the NISMO trim, the car feels out of its element when asked to turn a corner quickly or brake hard. The vehicle's suspension is intended to soak up bumps, not handle aggressive steering inputs. It's a confident ride, but not an exciting one.
The same is true of the 1.8-liter base engine. Power is just adequate, and sometimes the motor can be noisy. The automatic transmission doesn't help acceleration, which is at the bottom of its class. This car is not in a hurry, but that's fine if you're just using the Sentra as a daily driver. It makes up for it with solid fuel economy.
The SR Turbo's livelier engine improves on the car's off-the-line performance. It still doesn't feel sporty, however. Even the NISMO, with its more dramatic looks and focused suspension tuning, is not a particularly exciting car to pilot. You'll enjoy the extra power when passing, but you won't be winning any races from one stoplight to the next. If you're expecting a driver's car, you will be disappointed no matter which Sentra you drive.
Should I Buy a 2019 Nissan Sentra?
The 2019 Nissan Sentra is appealing because of its large interior, good fuel mileage, and affordable pricing. Almost every one of its rivals is more modern and a better buy, however.
Should I buy a Used Nissan Sentra?
The current Nissan Sentra generation stretches back to 2013, so you won’t look out of place if you get one from that year or newer. In light of Toyota’s reputation for dependability, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend a used Sentra if you are seeking cheap, basic transportation.
How Much Does the 2019 Nissan Sentra Cost?
The 2019 Nissan Sentra S is priced from $18,785. And the Sentra NISMO starts at nearly $27,000. Both of these prices include a $895 delivery fee.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Nissan Sentra
- Cheap starting price
- Large cabin
- Excellent gas mileage
- Modern styling
- Short list of tech features
- Base model lacks advanced safety equipment
- Slow and noisy base motor
- Sport models not that sporty
- Not particularly fun to drive
The History of the Nissan Sentra: 37 years of Sentra
The Nissan Sentra has been prowling American streets since 1982 when it replaced the Datsun 210. It was one of the first vehicles introduced after Nissan stopped using the Datsun brand and switched to the Nissan nameplate.
The Nissan Sentra has played many roles for the Japanese automaker. It has been offered as a wagon, a coupe, and a sedan. It has also come in a number of high-performance models through the years. In total, there have been seven generations of Sentra sold in the United States.
The most recent Sentra is the largest, but it’s also the most basic in terms of driving experience. The car has lost some of its fun-to-drive character, Instead, it’s now focused mostly on entry-level buyers and those looking for inexpensive transportation.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Nissan Sentra
- Body Style
- 1.8L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder
- 124 hp
- Xtronic CVT
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.8L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder
- Transmission: Xtronic CVT
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.52 Axle Ratio
- 49-Amp/Hr 470CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 110 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 13.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Torsion Beam Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 16" Aluminum-Alloy
- Tires: P205/55R16 All-Season
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/Aux-In Audio System -inc: 7" color touchscreen, streaming audio via Bluetooth, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, hands-free text messaging assistant, Siri eyes-free, USB connection port for iPod interface and other compatible devices, NissanConnect featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, 2 illuminated rear USB ports (VPC) and SiriusXM satellite radio
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack and Radio Data System
- Window Grid Antenna
- 6-Speaker Audio System
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats
- Driver Seat
- 6-Way Adjustable Driver's Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Premium Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- Engine Immobilizer
- Perimeter Alarm
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Forward Collision Mitigation
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera