Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Seating for five
- 2.0-liter engine
- Continuously variable transmission
- Available all-wheel-drive
- ProPILOT Assist driver assistance
Nissan Rogue Sport: Everything You Need to Know
About the Nissan Rogue Sport:
The 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport is a smaller version of Nissan’s best-selling Rogue compact SUV. The Rogue Sport is about one foot shorter than the Rogue, and has about 15% less cargo capacity. Both Rogue and Rogue Sport seat five passengers in two rows.
The Rogue Sport is designed for buyers who need a more compact SUV. It is nimble on the road and easy to park. The 2.0-liter engine and continuously variable transmission provide good performance. All-wheel drive is optional.
The biggest reason to consider the Rogue Sport is its value. Starting almost $3,000 less than the Rogue, the Rogue Sport is a great choice for budget-conscious shoppers. The Rogue Sport is available in three trim levels ranging from basic to sporty and luxurious. The EPA estimates the Rogue Sport will return fuel economy up to 25 mpg in city driving and 32 mpg on the highway.
What’s New in the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport?
2019 is the third year of production for the Rogue Sport. Nissan has been adding safety and technology features each year. The latest features include:
- ProPILOT Assist driver assistance technology.
- Nissan Safety Shield 360 advanced safety features.
- Updated infotainment with smartphone integration.
- Rear Door Alert technology reminds drivers to check the rear seat.
What Does the Nissan Rogue Sport Compete With?
The 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport competes in the crowded economy compact SUV market. Leading contenders in this class include:
- Chevrolet Equinox
- Fiat 500X
- Ford Escape
- Honda CR-V
- Hyundai Tucson
- Jeep Compass
- Kia Sportage
- Mazda CX-5
- Mini Countryman
- Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
- Nissan Rogue
- Subaru Forester
- Toyota RAV4
- Volkswagen Tiguan
Buyers in this class are looking for a good value on reliable transportation for small families and active singles and couples. Price is a major consideration, but buyers also demand modern technology. All-wheel-drive is typically an option, but most urban compact SUV buyers choose to save money with a front-wheel-drive vehicle.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport
The Rogue Sport is often confused with the larger Nissan Rogue because they look very much alike. This SUV carries Nissan’s distinctive athletic exterior appearance, with a bold front end and flared fenders. Nissan designed the Rogue Sport to look as though it’s ready to head off-road, while maintaining a more sophisticated urban appeal.
The base trim Rogue Sport is well-equipped with features such as LED daytime running lights, 16-inch wheels, and power side mirrors.
Optional exterior features include:
- LED headlights.
- Power side mirrors with integrated turn signal lights.
- 17-inch or 19-inch alloy wheels.
- Roof rails.
- A glass moonroof.
Interior Style in the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport
The interior of the Rogue Sport is functional with simple controls. The dashboard has a traditional layout with the infotainment screen at top center. Climate controls are located below the screen, and the gear selector is mounted on the center console.
Depending on the trim level, the Rogue Sport comes with cloth or leather seating surfaces. The basic S and SV trims use cloth, and the top SL trim includes leather. The Rogue Sport SL includes eight-way power-adjustable heated leather front seats. SL trim also adds a heated leather steering wheel and leather shift knob.
The Rogue Sport’s rear seat carries three passengers. There’s plenty of room for three children, including LATCH hookups for car seats. However, three full-size adults will be a tight fit. The rear seat is split 60/40 for cargo convenience, and with a generous 22.9 cubic feet of cargo space behind the back seat. That’s enough for weekend luggage for four adults or four sets of golf clubs. Fold the rear seats down to max out at 61.1 cubic feet, which will handle a trip to the big box store or enough gear for a week of camping.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport?
The standard dashboard infotainment system in the Nissan Rogue Sport includes a 7.0-inch touchscreen. This system supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration. That brings GPS navigation into the vehicle on all trim levels. The basic NissanConnect system also supports Sirius/XM satellite radio. The top SL trim receives a nine-speaker Bose audio system and voice recognition for all in-car technology services.
The Rogue Sport in S and SV trims includes a rearview camera, while the SL trim includes a 360-degree surround camera system.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport?
Nissan has taken a big lead in advanced safety and driver assistance features. The 2019 Rogue Sport leads in safety among economy compact SUVs and even beats many luxury models. The main reason is the inclusion of advanced technology like ProPILOT Assist and Safety Shield 360.
Safety Shield 360 is included as standard equipment on the Rogue Sport SV and SL trims. This set of advanced safety features includes:
- Automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection.
- Rear automatic braking.
- Lane departure warning.
- Radar-based blind spot warning.
- Rear cross traffic alert.
- Automatic high beam assist.
ProPILOT Assist is Nissan’s "hands-on" driving assistance technology. The system is based on adaptive cruise control that matches prevailing speeds. ProPILOT Assist also keeps the Rogue Sport centered in its lane. It’s called “hands-on” because the driver is still required to steer and be aware of surroundings. ProPILOT Assist is standard on the 2019 Rogue Sport SL trim and optional on the Rogue Sport SV.
The 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport performs well in standard crash tests. The Rogue Sport earned four out of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
What is the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport Like to Drive?
The 2019 Rogue Sport comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that makes good power. Nissan’s Xtronic continuously variable transmission does a good job of moving the vehicle. Overall performance is comparable to other vehicles in the compact economy SUV class.
Where the Rogue Sport stands out is in its handling. With a smaller body, the Rogue Sport is easy to maneuver in tight parking lots and down narrow urban streets. There’s plenty of room inside for driver and passenger, and visibility is excellent in all directions.
Buyers who live where winter weather is a challenge should invest in all-wheel-drive. Nissan’s system does not require any driver action. It just works when needed, and it disconnects itself when it’s not.
Should I Buy a 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport?
The 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport is one of the best values in compact crossover SUVs this year. The starting price is low enough to meet most budget requirements. However, shoppers should consider the highest trim level they can afford.
The top SL trim carries a sticker price under $30,000, even with all-wheel-drive. The SL trim includes all the advanced technology, Bose audio system, and heated leather seats. That’s a great set of luxury features for the price.
Should I buy a Used Nissan Rogue Sport? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Rogue Sport was introduced for the 2017 model year, so any pre-owned model is no more than a couple of years old. Look for a Nissan certified pre-owned Rogue Sport for the best value and reliability. As mentioned, Nissan has been adding advanced technology every year, so the newer models are the best choices.
How Much Does the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport Cost?
The base price of the 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport S with front-wheel-drive is $22,340. The mid-grade SV trim starts at $24,140. The top SL trim with all the features starts at $28,060.
Adding all-wheel-drive at any trim level is $1,350. There are some option packages available, but each addition brings the price very close to the next trim level. Compare features and price before choosing an option package versus a trim upgrade.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Nissan Rogue Sport
- Fun to drive
- Affordable for most budgets
- Great technology options
- Easy to maneuver
- Good-looking SUV
- Could use more engine power
- Not as much cargo space as larger Rogue
- Best features available only with top trim
The History of the Nissan Rogue Sport: A Short Story
The Rogue Sport was introduced for the 2017 model year as a smaller alternative to the best-selling Nissan Rogue. The Rogue Sport is sold overseas as the Nissan Qashqai.
Changes to the Rogue Sport have been minimal for 2018 and 2019. New features each year have mostly been limited to technology functions for safety and driver assistance.
The Nissan Rogue Sport is made in Kyushu, Japan.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Nissan Rogue Sport
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4
- 141 hp
- Xtronic CVT Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Warning
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I4
- Transmission: Xtronic CVT Automatic -inc: manual shift mode
- 6.386 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,340 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 60-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 110 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Rear Anti-Roll Bar
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 16" x 6.5" Steel w/Full Covers
- Tires: 215/65R16 All-Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Black Rear Bumper
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM/CD/AUX NissanConnect -inc: 7" color display w/multi-touch control, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, SiriusXM satellite radio w/advanced audio features, USB connection port for iPod interface and other compatible devices, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, streaming audio via Bluetooth, hands-free text messaging assistant and Over-the-air (OTA) updating for headunit firmware via Wi-Fi WPA2 connection
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver seat and 4-way manual front passenger seat w/seat-back pocket
- 6-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shifter Material
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Integration
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) w/Traction Control System (TCS) Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Rear Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) Blind Spot
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI) Lane Keeping Assist
- Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- RearView Monitor Back-Up Camera