Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Available ProPilot advanced driver assist
- 2.5-liter engine (170 horsepower, 175 pound-feet torque)
- Standard continuously variable transmission
- Front-wheel or all-wheel-drive
Nissan Rogue: Everything You Need to Know
About the Nissan Rogue
Compact SUVs have overtaken passenger cars as the most popular segment of the car industry. The Nissan Rogue is one of the best-selling compact crossover sport utility vehicles on the market. The Rogue is Nissan’s top-selling model thanks to its performance and feature list.
The reasons for the Rogue’s success are simple: it’s good value for the buyer’s money. Nissan offers a high-quality SUV at an affordable price. It’s also about new features and options. Nissan keeps the Rogue up to date in both technology and comfort
ProPilot Assist leads the list of high-tech optional features. This driver assist package combines traffic-following adaptive cruise control with advanced lane keeping assist. The Rogue maintains distance and steers itself around gentle curves on the highway. Driver attention is still required, however. The driver must keep eyes on the road and hands on the wheel at all times.
Over 400,000 buyers chose a Nissan Rogue in 2018, and 2019 is on track to exceed that number. Read on to learn why so many people put their families in a Rogue.
What’s New in the Current Nissan Rogue?
Nissan has made several important updates to the Rogue for 2019:
- Advanced safety equipment is now standard on Rogue, including lane keeping, automatic emergency braking with Pedestrian Detection, rear door alert, and automatic high beams.
- Rear automatic braking and rear parking sonar are standard on SV and SL trims.
- ProPilot Assist and 19-inch alloy wheels are standard on SL trim, and optional with SV trim.
- Nissan created a Special Edition Package for the basic S trim. For $800, this package provides 17-inch alloy wheels, heated side mirrors with LED turn signals, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, heated front seats, and chrome exterior trim.
- There’s also a new Premium Package for the SV trim. For $1,800, this package includes 18-inch alloy wheels, the ProPilot advanced driver assistance package and an electronic parking brake
What Does the Nissan Rogue Compete With?
The Rogue sells in one of the largest and most competitive segments in the auto industry. The major market leaders include:
Buyers shopping for a compact crossover want an SUV that provides comfort, safety, and reliability. All-wheel-drive is a big selling point if winter weather is a concern. Increasingly, advanced driver assist features are a selling point, especially for commuters.
Exterior Design of the Nissan Rogue
Nissan revised the Rogue’s appearance for the 2017 model year, using the brand’s new “V-Motion” grille. It’s paired with a new headlight design and LED daytime running lights to update the front end. The rear end has a new bumper and taillights. The same look is still in place for 2019.
Overall, the Rogue is a good-looking vehicle, with a strong and capable stance. Nissan matches the personality of the Rogue with wheels big enough to be stylish, but not too big for a family car. The ride height of the Rogue provides light off-road capability.
Standard exterior features for 2019 include:
- Halogen headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- Power side mirrors
- Rear roof spoiler
- UV-reducing glass
Optional features include
- LED headlights
- Rear privacy glass
- Motion activated liftgate
- Panoramic moon roof
- Fog lights
Interior Style in the Nissan Rogue
Functional best describes the interior of the Rogue. This SUV is all about getting the features in place without useless extras that drive up the price.
All trim levels get a full set of climate controls. Other brands often try to combine all of that in the touchscreen display and it just makes things hard to use.
The Rogue is roomy, comfortable, and well made. Nissan says the Rogue will seat five adults, and we found that to be true. The back seat is a little snug with three adults, but they’ll fit. If you have four people, the Rogue is perfectly comfortable. If you’re carrying kids, there are LATCH hookups under the rear seats.
Cargo space is also generous. The Rogue carries up to 70 cubic feet. That’s enough to handle a large appliance or a whole lot of camping gear. Even with the rear seats in use, you can get almost 40 cubic feet of stuff in the back. That’s enough for reasonable luggage for all four adults.
The Rogue also comes with roof rails, so you can carry even more on top of the vehicle. The Rogue will also pull up to 1,102 pounds, so a small trailer is possible.
What Technology Comes in the Nissan Rogue?
All trim levels of the Rogue come with a 7.0-inch touchscreen display. That’s nice because too many brands saddle the base trim with an old-fashioned radio.
The Nissan system supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Every Rogue has the ability to offer you navigation and Internet access. Hands-free text messaging and phone calls are also included. All Rogues include a basic rear view camera, too.
Optionally, you can upgrade your trim and get access to tech features like:
- Sirius satellite radio
- Bird’s eye camera
- Rear sonar
- Homelink garage door opener
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start
- Adaptive cruise control
What Kind of Safety Features are in the Nissan Rogue?
As a family vehicle, the Rogue must have good safety gear. In addition to airbags and stability controls, the Rogue offers a great list of standard features:
- Blind spot warning
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Intelligent lane keeping
- Automatic emergency braking
- Pedestrian detection
- Tire pressure monitor
Optional or trim-based safety features include:
- ProPilot Assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Rear automatic braking
The most important option is ProPilot Assist. This package helps the driver keep the Rogue steady on the highway. ProPilot provides gentle steering inputs and maintains following distance. It is not a self-driving feature, however. The driver must keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
The 2019 Nissan Rogue earned a four-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
What is the Nissan Rogue Like to Drive?
The Rogue is among the most pleasant compact crossovers on the road. There’s plenty of engine power. The available all-wheel-drive system is confident even in bad weather. The Rogue’s steering is tight and the ride is both firm and smooth. Visibility is excellent from all angles.
The continuously variable transmission may be a source of concern for some buyers. However, Nissan has been working hard to make it better. Most drivers will not notice any difference. The Rogue has plenty of braking ability.
The Nissan Rogue is EPA-estimated at 33 MPG in highway driving, and 26 MPG in the city with front-wheel-drive. All-wheel-drive reduces economy to 25 MPG city and 32 MPG highway. Hybrid models can achieve up to 35 MPG city and 34 MPG highway.
Should I Buy a Current Nissan Rogue?
Over 400,000 buyers every year simply can’t be wrong. The Nissan Rogue is a leading compact crossover for very good reasons. The value you get for your money is great, and the Rogue is a reliable and fully featured vehicle.
Whether you decide on a basic trim with front-wheel-drive or a luxury trim with all-wheel-drive or even a hybrid, the Rogue is a good value. The price difference between a basic and a top trim Rogue is so small, the top trim is usually worth the investment.
Should I Buy a Used Nissan Rogue? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
If you want a pre-owned Rogue, getting the current body style made from 2017 onwards is the best idea. There’s nothing wrong with older Rogues, but the current generation is still under warranty. Nissan covers the Rogue with a 3-year, 36,000-mile basic warranty. The drivetrain is covered for five years and 60,000 miles.
The 2018 Rogue earned Top Safety Pick. The 2017 Rogue earned Top Safety Pick Plus status from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Those standards get higher every year, so the 2019 Rogue did not earn status, even though it provides better safety.
Finally, Nissan offers a certified pre-owned program that checks out used vehicles. A Nissan certified pre-owned Rogue comes with an extended warranty up to 7 years or 100,000 miles from its original sale.
How Much Does the New Nissan Rogue Cost?
The most basic Rogue retails at $24,920 with front-wheel-drive. Adding all-wheel-drive pushes that price to $26,270.
The sport-oriented SV trim starts at $26,340, or $27,690 with all-wheel-drive. The top SL trim is $31,390, or $32,740 with all-wheel-drive.
Hybrid models start at $27,600 and can cost up to $32,890 in SL trim with all-wheel-drive. A destination fee of $1,045 is applied to all 2019 Nissan Rogue sales.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Nissan Rogue
- Affordable price
- Good engine power
- Seating for five passengers
- Generous cargo space
- Available hybrid
- Continuously variable transmission
- Not a Top Safety Pick
- All-wheel-drive more expensive
The History of Nissan Rogue
Nissan launched the Rogue for the 2008 model year as part of a new generation of crossover SUVs. The Rogue replaced the traditional body-on-frame Nissan Xterra as a more family-friendly kind of vehicle. It serves as an alternative to the larger Pathfinder.
From the beginning, the Rogue was a huge hit with buyers. Crossovers have better driving dynamics than traditional SUVs, and easier access to the cabin and cargo area. With Nissan’s available all-wheel-drive providing winter weather capability, families began to move away from passenger cars and embraced the Rogue as a leading compact SUV.
A major redesign came in 2014, creating the current generation Rogue with advanced technology features. A minor appearance change in 2017 keeps the Rogue looking fresh.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Nissan Rogue
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve I4
- 170 hp
- Xtronic CVT Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Blind Spot Warning
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve I4 -inc: ECO mode
- Transmission: Xtronic CVT Automatic -inc: sport mode switch,
- 6.386 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: TBA
- Transmission w/Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 110 Amp Alternator
- 900lbs. Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 17" Steel w/Full Covers
- Tires: 225/65R17 All-Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Chrome Bumper Insert
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM/CD/AUX -inc: 4 speakers, NissanConnect featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, 7" color display w/multi-touch control, SiriusXM satellite radio w/advanced audio features, USB connection port for iPod and other compatible devices, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, streaming audio via Bluetooth, hands-free text messaging assistant, over-the-air (OTA) updating for headunit firmware via a Wi-Fi WPA2 connection
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver seat, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat and front seat back storage
- Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- NissanConnect Selective Service Internet Access
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Door Panel Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW) Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision Mitigation and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- RearView Monitor Back-Up Camera