Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Wide range of bed and cab options
- Two engines and three transmissions available
- Pro-4X and Desert Runner off-road trims
2019 Nissan Frontier: Everything You Need to Know
About the Nissan Frontier:
The Nissan Frontier is a compact pickup truck that slots below the full-size Titan in the automaker’s lineup.
Over the past two generations, the Frontier has been one of the best-selling trucks in its class thanks to features and innovation not typically seen in a compact pickup. Earning numerous distinctions for quality and safety, Nissan has sold more than 925,000 Frontier pickups since 2004.
What’s New in the 2019 Nissan Frontier?
The Nissan Frontier has remained relatively consistent for the past two decades. But the 2019 model receives a few updates. Shoppers should note the Frontier may be fully redesigned in 2020.
For 2019, a new 7.0-inch touchscreen is added as standard equipment. Cayenne Red is a new color option.
The Frontier is offered in five trims: S, SV, SL, Desert Runner and PRO-4X. All trim levels have extended and crew cab body styles except the SL which comes only as a crew cab. The SV trim also offers the crew cab paired with a long bed.
S: Comes with a 152-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine or a 261-horsepower, 4.0-liter V6. The smaller engine gets a choice of a five-speed manual transmission or a five-speed automatic. The V6 engine is paired with a six-speed manual transmission or a five-speed automatic.
SV: Adds tinted windows, 16-inch alloy wheels, remote keyless entry, a chrome front bumper and a sliding rear window.
SL: Top trim adds power front seats, leather trimmed upholstery, heated seats, and navigation, as well as a host of high-end options.
Desert Runner: Only available with rear-wheel drive. It has a raised suspension, Bilstein shocks, and 16-inch wheels and tires. Both body styles come with the 261 horsepower 4.0-liter V6 engine.
PRO-4X: Similar to the Desert Runner but adds standard four-wheel drive and a locking rear differential for maximum off-road performance.
What Does the 2019 Nissan Frontier Compete With?
The 2019 Frontier competes with several compact pickups including:
The Frontier is a good choice for buyers who want an affordable pickup with basic features and solid build quality. Its compact design and off-roading ability make it versatile and easy to drive.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Nissan Frontier
The 2019 Frontier resembles its larger sibling, the full-size Nissan Titan, but with a smaller footprint. Buyers can choose from an extended cab with a slightly longer truck bed, or a four-door crew cab with a smaller truck bed. The SV trim offers both the long bed and crew cab body style.
The Frontier’s wheels range between 16 and 20 inches. There are additional exterior features, including skid plates, a roof rack with crossbars, side rails, front tow hooks, a factory sprayed bedliner, and side mirror defrosters.
Interior Style in the 2019 Nissan Frontier
The 2019 Frontier has a basic interior with ample cabin space and legroom. The upper trim levels offer leather trimmed seats, chrome accents, a simple navigation system, and dual-zone automatic climate control.
All models come with a 7.0-inch touchscreen, Bluetooth, a Hands-Free Text Messaging Assistant, and Siri Eyes Free. Both the King Cab and Crew Cab get two sets of LATCH connectors. The Crew Cab has an additional tether anchor, but it is deep in the seat and harder to find.
Storage includes a covered bin in the center console, removable compartments below the rear seats, and a dual glove box. There are four cupholders and two bottle holders. The cargo bed offers Nissan’s Utili-Track system, an innovative cargo system that consists of five channels with adjustable heavy-duty cleats.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Nissan Frontier?
The Frontier comes with several standard technology features:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen
- Hands-Free Text Messaging System
- Siri Eyes Free
The following features are optional:
- NissanConnect 5.8-Inch Touch-Screen Display
- NissanConnect Mobile Apps
- Voice recognition
- SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link
- Remote keyless entry
- Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror with Digital Compass and Outside Temperature Display
- Rockford Fosgate Powered Audio System with subwoofers and ten speakers
- What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Nissan Frontier?
- The Frontier has fewer safety features than rivals. Competing trucks have more advanced driver assistance features. Historically, the Frontier’s crash test ratings have been average.
Standard safety features include:
- Front, side and overhead airbags
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Hood buckling creases and energy-absorbing steering column
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Optional safety features include:
- Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System
- Rear parking sensors
What is the 2019 Nissan Frontier Like to Drive?
The Frontier has a good combination of comfort and capability. Its four-cylinder engine is adequate for city driving or commuting. Step up to the V6 engine, and you get powerful acceleration.
The ride can feel bumpy or rough on certain surfaces, but the Frontier’s suspension offers a reasonably smooth ride. Large windows, rear-view mirrors and a backup camera aid visibility.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Nissan Frontier?
The 2019 Frontier will appeal to buyers looking for a small pickup that combines ruggedness with modern features at an affordable price point. Basically, customers who don’t require the payload or power of a full-size pickup.
Should I buy a Used 2019 Nissan Frontier? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Frontier has undergone only two design updates since it was first introduced. It had two recalls for its steering column and shaft on 2002-’04 models. You may want to avoid these years. If you want updated interior features, trucks after 2011 are your best bet.
How Much Does the New 2019 Nissan Frontier Cost?
Starting prices range between $18,990 and $36,850. Its base price makes it one of the most affordable trucks on the market.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Nissan Frontier
- Wide range of body styles, trim levels and features
- Competitive starting price
- Pro-4X model is a capable off-roader
- Less advanced driver assistance features than competitors
- Average crash-test scores
- Standard interior materials can feel cheap
The History of the 2019 Nissan Frontier: 22 years of Nissan Frontier
The Nissan Frontier launched in 1997 as a compact pickup truck. Over the last two decades, Nissan expanded the Frontier’s dimensions.
The Japanese automaker has increased the number of trims to five, allowing for greater flexibility. Now deep into its second generation, the Nissan Frontier could use an update. But it remains a popular choice for its utility, comfort, and quality.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Nissan Frontier
- Body Style
- King Cab
- 2.5L DOHC I4
- 152 hp
- 5-Speed Manual w/OD
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.5L DOHC I4
- Transmission: 5-Speed Manual w/OD
- 4.083 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,700 lbs
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 550CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 110 Amp Alternator
- 930# Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Leaf Rear Suspension w/Leaf Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 15" x 6.5JJ Styled Steel
- Tires: P235/75R15 BSW AS
- Regular Box Style
- Wheels w/Hub Covers
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper w/Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins and 2nd Row Underseat Storage
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Manual Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Reverse Opening Rear Doors
- Tailgate Rear Cargo Access
- Manual Tailgate/Rear Door Lock
- Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps
- Cargo Lamp w/High Mount Stop Light
- Radio: AM/FM w/Auxiliary -inc: 7" color display audio, USB connection port for iPod Interface and other compatible devices, streaming audio via Bluetooth, 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear), Bluetooth hands-free phone system, Siri Eyes Free and steering wheel audio controls
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Radio Data System
- Fixed Antenna
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way adjustable
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 50-50 Folding Jump Front Facing Fold-Up Cushion Rear Seat
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer and Trip Odometer
- Fixed Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Pickup Cargo Box Lights
- Manual 1st Row Windows
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera