Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Spacious interior
- Available all-wheel drive
- Competent handling and ride comfort
- New turbocharged engine
- Strong safety quotient
Nissan Altima: Everything You Need to Know
About the Nissan Altima:
The Nissan Altima is a mid-size sedan. It is good for families and commuters who want a comfortable daily driver with plenty of features. It is the second-most popular member of the Nissan family after the Nissan Rogue SUV.
The Nissan Altima is safe, affordable, and roomy, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Nissan Altima?
The 2019 Nissan Altima has been completely redesigned. It has a long list of new features in every important area.
The 2019 Altima is lower, longer, and wider than the model it replaces. The wheelbase is 1.9 inches longer than the previous model. The car is more aerodynamic than ever before. It also adds several new colors to its palette.
Important new features include:
- Revised base 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine
- New 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. This motor replaces last year's V6.
- Improved list of standard equipment
- Redesigned interior and exterior
- Nissan Intelligent Mobility expands safety features
- Altima Edition One special model
- Available all-wheel drive
Fuel economy for the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is rated at 28 mpg city and 39 mpg highway. The turbocharged four-cylinder drops somewhat to 25/34 mpg city/highway. Higher trim levels and all-wheel drive models lose a few miles per gallon due to increased weight.
What Does the 2019 Nissan Altima Compete With?
The Altima competes with the following cars:
The most popular version of the Nissan Altima is the SV trim. In the middle of the lineup, it has dual automatic climate control, a full suite of safety features, fog lights, and a nicer interior setup. These features are in addition to the base Altima's standard equipment.
The Altima is a good for commuters who want a stylish, efficient, and safe family sedan. It's also a strong choice for those who live in the north, due to its available all-wheel drive.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Nissan Altima
The 2019 Altima gets a whole new exterior look. No longer the 'rental car special,' it looks much sportier.
A large grille opening flanked by a deep chrome 'V' adds new drama to the front end, as do available LED headlights. The Altima also has a 'floating' roofline. The blacked-out pillar behind the rear doors makes the roof appear to float.
The Altima SR gets standard LED headlights, and differnt exterior trim. The Premium package (LED turn signals, heated mirrors, moonroof) can be added to the SR. Choosing the turbocharged engine will automatically include the Premium package.
The Altima SV gets the SR’s equipment, plus fog lights. The SL looks like the SV, while the Platinum and Edition One versions get unique details, lighting, and badges.
Nissan Altima wheel sizes range from 16-inch steelies on the base model, to 19-inch alloys on upper trims.
Interior Style in the 2019 Nissan Altima
The 2019 Altima’s interior is significantly improved. It has a new dashboard with nicer gauges and displays. The plastic trim feels better, especially on the Platinum trim levels. Leather seats are standard on SL and above, and heated seats and a heated steering wheel are available.
The stretched wheelbase provides extra leg room. Three adults fit comfortably in the rear seat for short trips, and child safety seat LATCH connectors are located in the rear seat. Trunk space measures 15.4 cubic feet. This is average for mid-size sedans, and ample space for luggage.
Acoustic glass is standard on SV, SL, Platinum, and Edition One models. It helps keep the cabin quiet. There are several storage cubbies up front for smaller items, bags, and purses.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Nissan Altima?
The 2019 Altima offers plenty of standard technology.
Every 2019 Nissan Altima includes:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto/Apple CarPlay
- Push-button start
- Rearview camera
- Several advances safety features
- Satellite radio
- Voice controls for vehicle systems
Altima buyers can add:
- ProPilot Assist safety equipment
- Full LED lighting
- Dual automatic climate control
- Top-down camera system
The special Altima Edition One includes three years of Nissan's concierge service.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Nissan Altima?
The 2019 Altima includes advanced safety equipment on its base model. To get the full suite of features, however, buyers must upgrade to the SV trim level.
Standard safety systems for the 2019 Altima include:
- Rearview camera
- Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking: Brings the car to a stop if an impact is imminent. It also warns the driver before this happens.
The following safety equipment is available:
- Blind spot monitoring: Watches each side of the Altima for hidden traffic. It also alerts drivers of danger when reversing.
- Adaptive cruise control: Automatically adjusts speed to keep a safe distance between the sedan and vehicles ahead.
- Lane departure warning: Alerts driver if the Altima strays from its lane.
- Pedestrian detection: Allows the forward collision warning system to see pedestrians as well as other vehicles.
- ProPilot Assist: Combines adaptive cruise control with a limited self-driving component to keep the car in its lane with minimal driver input.
What is the 2019 Nissan Altima Like to Drive?
The 2019 Altima's entry-level four-cylinder engine is excellent for daily driving. In addition to its excellent fuel mileage, it provides good power and quiet performance. All-wheel drive is only available with this engine. The setup is borrowed from the Nissan Rogue SUV. It's a worthwhile addition for buyers in snowy climates.
The SR trim gets a stiffer suspension system and paddle shifters to control the continuously-variable automatic transmission. The CVT is standard on all Nissan Altima models. The SR is comfortable, except for its 19-inch wheels, which add some harshness to the ride quality.
The turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine can be added to the Altima SR. Also called the VC-Turbo due to its variable-compression design, it provides good acceleration. The VC-Turbo is standard with the Edition One, but optional on all trims SR and above. The new engine is reasonably efficient despite its extra power. But it doesn't match the output of the Toyota Camry V6. It is on par with the Honda Accord's top-tier turbocharged engine.
Should I Buy a New 2019 Nissan Altima?
The 2019 Altima is a good alternative to Toyota and Honda sedans. It's also more modern than the Ford Fusion or the current Hyundai Sonata. It's worth a test drive when shopping in the segment.
Should I buy a Used Nissan Altima? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The previous generation Altima did not offer as many features as the current model. This is especially true regarding safety systems. If you are on a strict budget, look for a 2013 model or newer, especially if you want a V6 engine.
How Much Does the New 2019 Nissan Altima Cost?
The 2019 Altima starts at $23,900. All-wheel drive costs an extra $1,350. The top Nissan Altima Edition One is priced at $35,750.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Nissan Altima
- Available all-wheel drive
- New turbocharged engine
- Fuel efficient
- More stylish than past models
- Comfortable interior and ride
- Lags behind Toyota Camry in terms of power
- All-wheel drive only available with base engine
- Advanced safety gear has limited availability
- Not as luxurious as some rivals
The History of the Nissan Altima: 26 years of Altima
The Nissan Altima appeared in American dealerships in 1993. It was a revelation for the brand, and its first truly modern family car. It also helped to establish Nissan’s reputation for building cars that were fun to drive. This was enhanced in 1998 with the second-generation Altima. Three more redesigns of the Nissan Altima took place between 2002 and the current model. The newest Altima returns to its sporty roots.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Nissan Altima
- Body Style
- 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder
- 188 hp
- Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder
- Transmission: Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable)
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 4.83 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 60-Amp/Hr 510CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 120 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electro-Hydraulic Power Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 16" x 7" Steel w/Full Wheel Covers
- Tires: 215/60R16 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Body-Colored Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Intelligent Auto Headlights (i-Ah) Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM Audio System -inc: Radio Data System, MP3, aux-in, 6 speakers, NissanConnect featuring Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, 8" color display w/multi-touch control, SiriusXM satellite radio w/advanced audio features, 2 front illuminated USB connection ports (1 Type-A, 1 Type-C) for iPod interface and other compatible devices, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, streaming audio via Bluetooth, Hands-free text messaging assistant, Siri Eyes Free/Google Assistant voice recognition and Over-the-air (OTA) updating for headunit firmware via a Wi-Fi WPA2 connection
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Steering Wheel Controls
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power driver's seat and 4-way manual front passenger's seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- NissanConnect Selective Service Internet Access
- Sport Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Remote Engine Start
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins and Audio Media Storage
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Intelligent Forward Collision Warning with AEB
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- RearView Monitor Back-Up Camera