Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- One of the most affordable three-row SUVs on the market
- Good fuel economy
- Broad range of standard features
- Available with gas-only and plug-in hybrid powertrains
Mitsubishi Outlander: Everything You Need to Know
About the Mitsubishi Outlander:
The Mitsubishi Outlander distinguishes itself as one of the most affordable three-row SUVs on the market, and it comes with a long list of standard features. It’s a good choice for price-sensitive shoppers who are looking for a small, versatile SUV.
Mitsubishi’s Outlander is a compact crossover SUV that comes standard with three rows of seating, and is able to accommodate up to seven passengers. Base models are equipped with a gas-only powertrain, and the Outlander is also available as a fuel-efficient plug-in hybrid. Buyers can choose between front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive.
The gas-only Outlander is currently offered in four trim levels:
With the Outlander plug-in hybrid, two trims are available:
Only a handful of compact SUVs offer three-row seating, and this makes the Outlander a rare find. Thanks to its roomy accommodations and modest price tag, this small SUV is an attractive pick for shoppers looking for flexible, budget-friendly transportation.
What’s New in the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander?
For the 2019 model year, the Outlander benefits from the following changes:
- Refreshed design for the headlights and grille
- Upgraded front seats for improved comfort and support
- New window-switch illumination
- Suspension and steering upgrades for improved handling and performance
- New rear-seat air vents
What Does the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Compete With?
The Outlander’s list of competitors includes these small SUVs:
- Kia Sportage
- Mazda CX-5
- Honda CR-V
- Subaru Forester
- Toyota RAV4
- Ford Escape
- Hyundai Tucson
- Chevrolet Equinox
- Jeep Cherokee
- GMC Terrain
- Nissan Rogue
Mitsubishi’s Outlander separates itself from this pack of compact SUVs with its relatively inexpensive price tag and standard three-row seating. Its affordability makes it a good choice for young families or adventurous college students.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sleek design cues give the Outlander’s sheet metal a thoroughly contemporary appearance. Chrome accents adorn the grille and snake their way down the front fascia. The SUV’s profile showcases an ascending beltline and character lines that flow parallel to the roof. Overall, the Outlander looks capable and purposeful.
The base-model Outlander ES comes with standard exterior features such as:
- LED daytime running lights
- Body-colored front and rear bumpers
- Rear privacy glass
- 18-inch alloy wheels
This SUV’s range of optional equipment includes:
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Power sunroof
- Heated power-folding exterior mirrors
- Chrome beltline molding
- LED headlights
- LED fog lights
Interior Style in the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander
The Mitsubishi Outlander’s cabin features attractive design cues. Still, the materials used throughout the interior are mediocre, and rival SUVs provide cabins that have a more upscale look.
There are numerous storage nooks within the cabin. A pair of cupholders sit under the center stack, and the front doors feature bins that are deep enough to accommodate water bottles.
Passengers in the Outlander’s first two rows enjoy comfortable seating. The second-row seats fold flat and recline, and they come with a 60/40 split. The LATCH attachments in the second row are accessibly located, and this makes car seats easy to install.
A 50/50-split third-row seat is standard. This allows the Outlander to accommodate seven passengers. Keep in mind, though, that third-row legroom is limited, and this space is best suited for young kids.
When it comes to cargo space, the Outlander provides up to 34.2 cubic feet behind its second row and 63.3 cubic feet behind its first. These figures make it a competitive choice for those who value cargo room.
A standard tilt-and-telescoping column helps the driver find an agreeable position behind the wheel. Base models also come with cloth upholstery and dual-zone automatic climate control.
Outlander buyers can choose from a broad range of premium options. The list includes:
- Leather upholstery
- Six-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Four-way power-adjustable front passenger seat
- Heated front seats
- Heated steering wheel
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander?
Today’s car buyers rely on tech features to keep them connected and entertained, and the Outlander provides an attractive selection. The SUV comes with an infotainment system that’s accessed via a 7.0-inch touchscreen. Standard Bluetooth phone connectivity facilitates hands-free phone calls.
You can upgrade the Outlander with a list of tech options that includes:
- Satellite radio
- Apple CarPlay smartphone integration
- Android Auto smartphone integration
- Nine-speaker Rockford-Fosgate audio system
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander?
Many car shoppers wouldn’t think of purchasing a vehicle that wasn’t equipped with certain common driver-assist features. The Outlander makes a wide range of these features available to buyers.
Base models come with a rearview camera that gives the driver a clear view of the terrain behind the vehicle when reversing. The list of options includes:
- Blind-spot monitor. If you attempt to make a lane change when there’s a vehicle in the Outlander’s blind spot, this technology will issue a warning.
- Forward collision mitigation. This technology includes sensors that can detect if a collision is imminent, and it will deploy the brakes to prevent this from happening.
- Lane-departure warning system. This system lets the driver know if the Outlander ventures outside its lane.
- Rear cross-traffic alert. This technology issues a warning if there’s an object in the vehicle’s path while it’s reversing.
- Automatic high beams. This technology automatically turns on the high beams on dark roads and automatically dims them when there’s approaching traffic.
What Is the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Like to Drive?
Outlander buyers have a choice of three powertrains:
- The base powerplant is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that provides 166 horsepower, and it’s paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
- A 3.0-liter V6 motivates the Outlander GT, and it provides 224 horsepower. It’s teamed with a six-speed automatic transmission.
- With the plug-in hybrid, a four-cylinder engine and dual electric motors combine to produce a net output of 197 horsepower. This powerplant is governed by a one-speed direct-drive transmission.
The Outlander’s suspension does a great job of soaking up road harshness, and the SUV delivers a ride quality that’s smooth and pleasant. The GT’s V6 is the best choice from a performance standpoint, delivering crisp acceleration that allows the Outlander to effortlessly tackle freeway maneuvers.
While some rivals offer more rewarding handling, we think most drivers will find the Outlander’s driving dynamics to be acceptably pleasant. Front-wheel drive is standard, and four-wheel drive is available for those who need extra traction in rain and snow.
With the hybrid powertrain, the Outlander can travel for up to 22 miles solely on electric power. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), this plug-in hybrid achieves mileage of 74 MPGe combined city/highway with the electric motor in play and 25 mpg combined with just the gas engine. With the gas-only powertrain, mileage tops out at 25/30 mpg city/highway.
Should I Buy a New 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander?
If you’re a budget-sensitive shopper who’s looking for a three-row SUV, the Mitsubishi Outlander deserves consideration. It’s one of the most affordably priced picks in this class, and it comes with a generous selection of standard features.
Should I Buy a Used Mitsubishi Outlander? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Outlander was last redesigned in 2014, and the overhaul brought in driver-assist features such as adaptive cruise control and a forward collision mitigation system.
Though these amenities are widely offered today, they were relatively rare on models in this price range when the Outlander began offering them in 2014. If you’re looking for an affordable used crossover with modern driver-assist equipment, a 2014 or newer Outlander is a solid bet.
How Much Does the New Mitsubishi Outlander Cost?
The base-model Outlander ES starts at $24,695. It’s more affordably priced than most three-row SUVs.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Affordable price tag
- Good fuel economy
- Diverse powertrain lineup
- Impressive acceleration from the optional V6
- Cabin is less upscale than that of some rivals
- Some rivals offer more rewarding handling
- Relative to other automakers, Mitsubishi has a relatively small dealer network
The Mitsubishi Outlander was launched in the U.S. in 2003. The Outlander got its first redesign for the 2007 model year, and its second overhaul took place for the 2014 model. With the 2014 redesign, a bevy of driver-assist features became available. Choose a 2014 or newer model if you want access to modern driver-assist amenities.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L MIVEC SOHC 16-valve I4
- 166 hp
- Continuously Variable (CVT)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L MIVEC SOHC 16-valve I4
- Transmission: Continuously Variable (CVT)
- Axle Ratio: 6.026
- GVWR: 4,861 lbs
- Transmission w/Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 70-Amp/Hr 620CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
- 130 Amp Alternator
- 1 Skid Plate
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.6 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 7J Two-Tone Alloy
- Tires: P225/55R18 All-Season
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Black Bumper Insert
- Rocker Panel Extensions and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Chrome Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Auto Off Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM 7.0" Display Audio -inc: 6 speakers, HD Radio, Bluetooth wireless technology, steering wheel audio controls and USB port
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control and Radio Data System
- Automatic Equalizer
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way adjustable driver seat w/power lumbar support and 4-way adjustable passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat -inc: Fold Flat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Tumble Forward Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed 50-50 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Fold Into Floor and 2 Fixed Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look/Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Fabric Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Fixed Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera