Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Responsive handling
- Spacious rear seat
- Attractive cabin
- Good reliability
Mini Countryman: Everything You Need to Know
About the Mini Countryman:
The Mini Countryman is a crossover subcompact SUV. Now in its second generation, the nameplate adds rugged capability to Mini’s iconic, retro-themed design.
The British brand, now owned by BMW Group, also makes the two-door and four-door Mini Cooper subcompact and the Mini Clubman subcompact.
What’s New in the 2019 Mini Countryman?
The 2019 Mini Countryman carries forward relatively unchanged. Mini updated its trim names and reshuffled some features.
The Countryman comes in four models: base, Cooper S, Cooper S E, and John Cooper Works. Each model can be customized with one of three trims: Classic, Signature, and Iconic.
- Cooper Countryman: The base model is powered by a 134-horsepower, turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine.
- Cooper S Countryman: Upgrades the powertrain to 189 horsepower via a 2.0-liter turbo-four.
- Cooper S E Countryman: Plug-in hybrid version delivers 221 horsepower using a turbocharged, 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine and electric motor. It can travel 12 miles on a fully charged battery before reverting to its gasoline engine. All-wheel drive is standard.
- John Cooper Works Countryman: Top-of-the-line John Cooper Works gets a 228-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo-four.
Standard features for the Classic trim include leatherette upholstery, Bluetooth, and an infotainment system with a 6.5-inch display screen. The mid-range Signature and range-topping Iconic trims add features like heated seats and navigation.
What Does the 2019 Mini Countryman Compete With?
The 2019 Mini Countryman’s top competitors include:
Exterior Design of the 2019 Mini Countryman
The five-door Mini Countryman is a recognizable product of the iconic British brand’s design ethos. Cheerful and retro-themed, it showcases the prominent front grille and rounded headlamps associated with the Mini family.
The subcompact crossover is also the most rugged model in Mini’s portfolio. Roof rails and metal edging underscore its modern, muscular design.
Interior Style in the 2019 Mini Countryman
The 2019 Mini Countryman seats five adults inside a spacious cabin. The interior is quintessentially Mini, with retro-themed dashboard controls and a circular, oversized display.
Leatherette upholstery is standard, which puts Mini a cut above its competitors that use cloth. The front seats are plush and comfortable, but side bolsters can reduce shoulder-room. Optional front seat upgrades include eight-way power-adjustable seats, sport seats, and heated seats. The back seats recline slightly for additional head- and leg-room. All models come equipped with a leather-wrapped steering wheel and a panoramic sunroof.
The subcompact crossover features 17.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 47.6 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. The 40/20/40-split rear seats fold flat to accommodate long cargo. A power liftgate and an extra storage compartment below the cargo floor are available.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Mini Countryman?
The 2019 Mini Countryman is short on standard technology compared to its competitors. The subcompact SUV comes with Bluetooth and a 6.5-inch display screen. Buyers can add Apple CarPlay, navigation, wireless charging, satellite radio, a twelve-speaker Harman Kardon sound system, and an 8.8-inch touch screen.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Mini Countryman?
The 2019 Mini Countryman earned top scores in crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. All models come with a rearview camera and rear parking sensors. That’s typical for the segment. Buyers can add additional safety features including:
- Automatic emergency braking.
- A head-up display.
- Parallel park assist.
- Adaptive cruise control.
- Front parking sensors.
- Forward collision warning.
What is the 2019 Mini Countryman Like to Drive?
The Countryman is a fun-to-drive subcompact SUV. The base model is powered by a 134-horsepower, turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine. A manual transmission is standard. Buyers can upgrade to a six- or eight-speed automatic transmission. The three-cylinder engine supplies sufficient power for getting around town. For accelerating, merging, or passing on the highway, upper trims pack a more potent engine.
The Cooper S models get a 189 horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo-four. The S E plug-in hybrid uses a turbocharged, 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine and electric motor to deliver 221 horsepower. Its 12-mile electric range is sufficient for running errands. After that, the gasoline engine takes over. The John Cooper Works trim gets a 228-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo-four. All-wheel drive is standard on higher trims.
With its peppy, upgraded engine lineup, the Mini Countryman accelerates quickly and easily. Handling is nimble and responsive. Combining the utility of a crossover with the handling of a car, the Countryman hugs winding roads and rounds sharp corners with relative ease.
The SUV feels smooth over paved surfaces, and the cabin is quiet.
Should I Buy a 2019 Mini Countryman?
The Mini Countryman is a subcompact crossover with eye-catching design and an upscale feel. However, it’s also pricier than most rivals. The three-cylinder-powered standard model is short on power and dashboard technology. Outfitting higher trims with options gets expensive quickly. However, its ride is superior to other subcompact SUVs in its class. If performance, not price, is your motivating factor, consider investing in a 2019 Mini Countryman.
Should I buy a Used Mini Countryman? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Mini Countryman entered its second generation in 2017. That model received new styling, enhanced performance, and the brand’s latest technology and safety equipment. The 2019 edition has not seen any major changes to its performance or design. Buying a used model from 2017 or 2018 will likely score the same benefits of a new Countryman for less money.
How Much Does the 2019 Mini Countryman Cost?
The 2019 Mini Countryman begins at $26,900. However, the price ratchets up quickly based on trims and features. Buyers can add a six-speed automatic transmission for $1,500 and all-wheel drive for $2,000. Heated front seats and satellite radio run an additional $500 and $300, respectively. The Countryman Signature trim starts at $30,900 to include additional safety features and the automatic transmission. A $1,700 Touchscreen Navigation package adds Apple CarPlay smartphone integration, navigation, wireless charging, and an 8.8-inch touch screen. The $1,250 Driver Assistance package adds advanced driver assistance features. For $3,000, the Premium package includes LED headlights, power-adjustable front seats, satellite radio, and a twelve-speaker Harman Kardon sound system. Buyers can choose front sport seats and leather upholstery for $2,000. The $1,250 Convenience package adds amenities such as a power liftgate and a storage compartment beneath the cargo floor. The $35,900 Countryman Iconic trim comes with many of these packages. The Mini Cooper S Countryman Classic trim starts at $30,900. The Signature and Iconic trims for the Cooper S Countryman begin at $34,400 and $39,900, respectively. Buyers can add all-wheel drive for $500 and an eight-speed automatic transmission for $1,750. The mid-range Mini Cooper S E Countryman plug-in hybrid starts at $36,900 for the Classic trim, $39,400 for the Signature trim, and $44,400 for the Iconic trim. The top-of-the-line Countryman John Cooper Works starts at $37,900 for the Classic. The Signature and Iconic trims start at $41,400 and $46,400, respectively.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 MINI Countryman
- Iconic style
- Robust optional engines
- Comfortable seating
- Quiet cabin
- Small cargo area
- Weak standard engine
- High base price
- Clunky infotainment system
The History of the Mini Countryman: Nine years of the Mini Countryman
The Mini Countryman is the first subcompact SUV from the Mini brand. Introduced to the U.S. in 2010, the Countryman is currently in its second generation.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 MINI Countryman
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 1.5L I-3 12V DOHC Turbo
- 134 hp
- 7-Speed Steptronic DCT
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.5L I-3 12V DOHC Turbo
- Transmission: 7-Speed Steptronic DCT
- Axle Ratio: 3.79
- Standard Suspension
- GVWR: TBA
- Transmission w/Steptronic Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 80-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Security System Pre-Wiring
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5" Imprint Spoke -inc: Style 530, locking wheel bolts
- Tires: 225/55R17 Performance
- Locking Wheel Bolts
- Runflat Tires
- Clearcoat Paint
- Panoramic Moonroof
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Metal-Look Bodyside Insert and Black Fender Flares
- Stainless Steel Side Windows Trim, Stainless Steel Front Windshield Trim and Stainless Steel Rear Window Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Audio System
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- 6 Speakers
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Integrated Roof Diversity Antenna
- Satellite Radio Preparation
- Media Display
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 6-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Sport Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy and Illuminated Entry
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Colored Instrument Panel Insert, Colored Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Sensatec Leatherette Upholstery
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Rigid Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- MINI Assist eCall
- MINI TeleServices
- MINI Connected
- Enhanced USB & Bluetooth
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Rear Park Distance Control Rear Parking Sensors
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera