Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Neat, polished interior
- Versatile engines, including the rare V12
- Powerful performance
- Comfort for the long drive
- Classic exterior styling
Mercedes-Benz SL: The Classic That Stands the Test of Time The Mercedes-Benz SL-Class is not exactly a sports car. It has power, but it also has elegance. It is nimble on the road, but it's also gentle with its passengers.
At the end of the day, it is a small luxury roadster worth the price tag.
All SL-Class models come with a folding metal roof, power seats, leather upholstery, and adaptive dampers. The body sits on 19-inch wheels, and the cabin contains premium Harman Kardon audio as well as a 7-inch infotainment display.
What's New for 2019?
For the 2019 production year, Mercedes-Benz made exactly zero changes to its SL-Class model from 2018. However, the automaker did release some information hinting that the 2020 model year will be the last of production for this generation of the vehicle. That means we should be due for a brand-new, overhauled SL-Class no later than 2021.
Inside, the 2019 SL contains high-quality materials, making it a comfortable place for two.
The front seats are low, as you would expect in a sporty coupe, but it is not difficult to get in and out of the car. Plus, the seats offer a wide range of adjustability with plenty of space in any configuration.
As far as trims go, you can pick from wood, aluminum, and carbon fiber. No matter the choice, they all complement the rest of the black interior well.
Admittedly, parts of the dashboard are starting to show their age, like the cluster of buttons that accompany the small display screen. Fortunately, the whole setup is user-friendly; you use a single command knob to operate the screen, and the hard buttons provide redundancy for convenience.
Just about all tech and entertainment features come standard at the base trim, including Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth connectivity, and navigation access. While there are two USB ports to connect devices, there is no auxiliary access. Finally, you can get a three-month trial to include a Wi-Fi hotspot in the vehicle, but then it costs a monthly fee to maintain.
Powerful Engines--Including the Rare V12
The Mercedes-Benz SL-Class series comes in a variety of trims, each of which has its own engine choice. The SL450 gets a twin-turbo V6 while the SL550 and AMG SL63 both go up to a twin-turbo V8. The real standout, though, is the twin-turbo V12 hiding under the hood of the SL65.
The turbo V6 engine produces a generous 362 horses and 369 pound-feet of torque, sending its power through a 9-speed auto to the rear wheels. It's a noisy engine, but you will reach 60 miles per hour in under five seconds. Cruising with the hardtop folded down and in Sport mode increases the noise significantly.
The V8 cranks it up to 449 horses with less of a roar, taking the Benz up to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds using the same transmission. The two V8 trims fetch a much higher price than the SL450, and not for much more; other than the reduced noise, the 450 and 550 are virtually identical.
The SL65, powered by a V12 engine, costs even more, but you will get a staggering 621 horses and blow through 60 mph in less than four seconds.
What Kind of Utility Is Available?
The stowed roof compromises on trunk space, so there is not as much as you may like. However, there is an automatic cargo separator when lowering the top. Doing so enables you to separate roof storage space from luggage space.
Raising the roof results in enough functional trunk space to be useful.
A Comfortable Drive and Great View
Usually, it's best to focus on prioritizing space and plentiful seating, but the 2019 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class may just be an exception to the idea. It only seats two, but it is such a comfortable ride that it's almost hard to stop driving.
As mentioned before, there is quite a bit of premium material inside the cabin. This helps add to the plushness of the seats, which are wide enough for most people to sit in comfortably. As a bonus, you can enjoy the built-in massage feature.
What Kinds of Safety Features Are Available?
Mercedes-Benz offers plenty of driver-assistance services, but few are reserved for the base trim. This means you will need to pay extra to unlock the full class of safety features. The most critical ones to look for are adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, and the automatic emergency braking system.
Classic Exterior Style
It's unusual for a convertible to look good both when the roof is down or up, and the 2019 SL is one such convertible. Part of the reason is the classic styling reminiscent of the last 65 years of SL vehicles, and part of it is the choice of hardtop roof for all models.
Having a hardtop helps with the insulation of weather and noise while also adding more security compared to a soft-top roof. Thanks to the panoramic roof panel, though, it still allows plenty of ventilation.
Aside from the roof, the exterior style carries the classic elegance from its long history. Its profile results in a low, long, tidy silhouette that any Mercedes enthusiast will recognize as their own. Earlier SLs may have been more conventionally attractive, but the 2019 Benz hides nothing.
What Kind of Warranty Is Available for the 2019 Mercedes-Benz SL?
Compared to other vehicles of the class, there is nothing special about the warranty coverage for the SL-Class. The automaker does not provide complimentary maintenance, which is unusual. What you do get are powertrain and limited warranties that last four years of 50,000 miles.
If you are less interested in the power of your car and more interested in how comfortable the long haul will be, then your search ends with the 2019 SL-Class. That's not to say that this year's Benz doesn't have the power--it certainly does--but its comfortable ride is the greater strength.
That said, if your main focus is a source of real automotive power, then you will find other makes and models more to your liking. This Benz does come with optional adaptive suspension and more than enough acceleration, but it lacks extreme cornering exploits as you would find in true sports cars.
On the highway and in the city, this year's SL acts more like a grand tourer than a sports car, so it is true to its history. With four distinct models based on four engine configurations, the 2019 Mercedes-Benz SL offers four different personalities for you to choose from.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz SL
- Luxury cabin
- V12 offered, which is rare
- Magic Sky Control roof
- Easily accessible trunk
- Classic exterior that veteran Mercedes-Benz enthusiasts will love
- Limited storage space
- Not the most compelling Mercedes
- Heavy mass and under-steering
- Lots of road noise for a hardtop
Mercedes first produced the SL-Class back in 1954, marketing it as a grand touring vehicle. The "SL" comes from the German term "Sportlich-Leicht," or "Sport Lightweight" in English.
The 300 SL was the first to get the SL designation. You might recognize the model as the Gullwing.
In December 2011, Mercedes-Benz revealed a brand-new SL-Class line, which debuted the following month. For the first time, the company designed the flagship's body almost completely from aluminum.
Today, the 2019 Mercedes-Benz SL retains much of the advancements from its debut.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz SL
- Body Style
- 3.0L Bi-Turbo V6
- 362 hp
- 9G-TRONIC Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- DVD Player
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.0L Bi-Turbo V6
- Transmission: 9G-TRONIC Automatic
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.07 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Adaptive Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 19.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 19" 5-Spoke Alloy w/Black Accents
- Tires: 255/35R19 Front & 285/30R19 Rear
- High Performance Tires
- Run-Flat Tires
- Clearcoat Paint
- Fixed Glass Panorama 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Body-Colored Bumper Insert
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Metal-Look Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets And Reservoir
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Power Convertible Retractable Hard Top w/Lining, Glass Rear Window, Automatic Roll-Over Protection and Power Wind Blocker
- Chrome Grille
- Power Open And Close Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Programmable Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Washer and Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: COMAND NTG 5.1 Infotainment System -inc: Bluetooth connectivity, Navigation Map Updates for 3 Years
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted 6-Disc CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, Weatherband, DVD-Audio, mbrace External Memory Control and 10 Gb Music Register Internal Memory
- 11 Speakers
- Automatic Equalizer
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Smartphone Integration
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- harman/kardon LOGIC7 Sound System
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Siriusxm Traffic Real-Time Traffic Display
- Power Front Seats w/Memory Functions
- Bucket Front Seats w/Leather Back Material and Power 4-Way Driver Lumbar
- 10-Way Driver Seat -inc: Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 10-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- mbrace Connect Selective Service Internet Access
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Proximity Cargo Access
- Homelink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Residual Heat Recirculation
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum/Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Locking Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors, Steering Wheel and Head Restraints
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- COMAND Integrated Navigation System w/Voice Activation
- Tracker System
- Refrigerated/Cooled Box Located In The Glovebox, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Down, w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Heated Seats
- Power Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Emergency Sos
- Forward Collision Mitigation
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- BabySmart Childseat Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera