Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Top quality
- Incredibly comfortable seats and ride
- Great features list
- Powerful engine choices
- Silent car cabin
The Mercedes-Benz S-Class, with its elegant styling and strong performance, upholds the brand's well-earned reputation. With a choice of a comfy sedan, fun convertible, or the sporty coupe, the S-Class is luxurious and loaded with features. For those who want the very best in a luxury, this is a solid choice.
Sure, the price tag might be a big one, but with the S-Class, you truly get what you pay for. Mercedes-Benz has regularly updated its S-Class to keep it fresh and competitive, too. When you consider its competition includes the BMW 7 Series, Porsche Panamera, and Audi's A8, the S-Class remains a top pick in the luxury sedan class.
2019 saw the release of the S 450, a more affordable option. Its V6 doesn't have the horsepower of the S 560s, but that's the only big difference between the two models. The long list of standard features is otherwise the same, making the S 450 the best value in the S-Class.
The AMG models of the 2019 S-Class are built for performance, and they deliver.
The AMG S 63 features a turbocharged V8 engine that puts out 603 horsepower. The AMG S65 has a stouter V12 engine that delivers a stunning 621 horsepower. Add in the sport suspension dampers and the AWD system, and the car has balanced handling to go along with that power.
There are new driver assistant features offered, but some may not be as advanced as drivers might have hoped. Still, you have an elegant sedan with top-quality interior and a smooth-as-glass ride. While some may consider the driver assistant features underwhelming, the design, safety features, and driving experience of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class are sure to meet your expectations.
Mercedes-Benz S-Class Exterior Design
There have only been minor changes to the S-Class exterior, and it retains its enduring class. While big and conservative, it's still an elegant, nice-looking car. Its exterior is ideal for anyone looking for a combination of subtlety and style.
Using what they call a "stardust" effect, the "triple-torch" headlamps and LED tail lamps are eye-catching. All models now have the grille which before was only on the V12s in the S-Class. These models are larger cars too, in length and height.
Mercedes-Benz S-Class Interior Design
Even when compared with Bentley and Rolls-Royce, the S-Class series interior is still a top contender. No detail is missed with the quality materials like leather, metal, and wood used that are used to give these vehicles a touch of class. There's even a fragrance system that ensures the car smells wonderful to match its stylish, rich cabin.
There's a 12.3-inch display with the twin instrument cluster screen to the side of the fragrance system. One thing some drivers may not be happy about, though, is the fact that there are no sliding sun visors.
The 2019 sedans offer lots of room in the back, particularly in the Maybach models, with two separate rear seats. The convertibles and coupes have slightly less space in the back but hold their own when matched with the competition.
What Technology Comes in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class?
Now, apart from all the luxury, the technology of the S-Class is also hard to match. A leader in the industry, Mercedes-Benz offers many amazing technologies for the driver. With the offered features, you can use your smartphone to manage your vehicle and many of its apps.
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are available and work with your car's system, allowing you to access various features and programs. There are voice controls that can be used along with the ability to wirelessly charge devices at both the rear and front of the vehicle.
What Safety Features Come in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class?
The standard driver assistant features are a suite of safety measures meant to make you safer on the road. There's driver drowsiness monitoring to help keep you awake, a rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, and lane keep assist. The S-Class also offers crosswind assist and a feature to automatically tighten seat belts and roll up windows if the car detects a coming crash.
Also standard is Car-to-X Communication, which lets cars using this technology contact a central hub about traffic or other situations that could impact safety or travel.
There are more available features too, like head-up display, active lane keep assist, and the popular adaptive cruise control. There are many more offered features to help you manage the road in many situations. Choose which would make your journeys as safe and comfortable as possible when trying to find your perfect new or used S-Class from the dealer.
What's New for Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 2019?
For 2019, the S-Class gets a plug-in hybrid model called the S 560e ,but you can only get it as a sedan. There are new options for the AMG models like leather, wood, or carbon fiber performance steering wheels. The Maybach models received two-tone exterior colors and fancy stitching in copper and gold on the interior.
The convertibles and coupes now have Exclusive Edition models that have LED headlamps decorated with Swarovski crystals, wood trim, and silver or red exterior colors. The upholstery has also been jazzed up with dual tones and new floor mats.
What Is the New Mercedes-Benz S-Class Like to Drive?
With four powertrains offered with S-Class vehicles, performance is nearly guaranteed. All four engines give power to this car and allow for quick acceleration. The two top-performing AMG models are spirited and amazingly fun to drive.
The fuel economy of S-Class is average with EPA ratings of 19 mpg in the city and 28 mpg out on the highway, and that's with the base engine. The V8 models aren't as efficient as the average, and the V12s are even less fuel-efficient. The BMW7 series beats it by 2 mpg, and the Audi A8 ranks the same as the S-Class.
The S-Class was intended to offer one of the most comfortable rides on the road today, and it meets that goal easily. No matter if you're going across town for errands or taking a nice, long road trip, the ride is a delight. The Mercedes-Benz S-Class handles very well for its size, but just remember, it's not meant to be a sports car.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Top-quality interior
- Top build quality
- Powerful engine
- Long list of standard features
- Curb weight takes away from overall handling
- Low fuel economy on V12-powered models
- Convertible soft top takes up small trunk space
If you look close enough, you can actually trace the history of the S-Class all the way back to 1951 and the Mercedes-Benz 300 series. The 300 series offered a rich, powerful four-door sedan that had a straight-six engine. The 220 series in 1954, also called "Ponton," had a new unibody platform and was available as a convertible, coupe, or a sedan with either a four or six-cylinder engine.
The letter "S" first came about in the 220 S model in 1956, and it stuck. There were several generations of the S-Class from there.
In 1978 in North America, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class was one of the first luxury cars to give a choice of turbocharged diesel engine propulsion. From there, it continued to grow and improve with the 4Matic all-wheel-drive version in 2003 in the U.S.
The ninth generation of the S-Class debuted in 2007 with a bigger body and slightly more weight. These S-Class models were powered by bigger engines, V8s and a V12.
The first S-Class hybrid was released in 2010, called the S 400 Hybrid, and it came with a stout V6 paired with an electric motor. The results were an EPA estimated 19/25 mpg city/highway. 2012 saw the release of the S 350 BlueTEC that came with a turbodiesel V6 that put out 455 horsepower.
The last redesign occurred in 2014 and included the use of LED lighting and an available scent atomizer. In 2015, the S-Class Coupe was brought back to the U.S., replacing the CL-Class. In 2016, a plug-in hybrid, the S 550e sedan, was introduced along with a very luxurious Mercedes-Maybach S 600 that was added to the line.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Body Style
- 3.0L V6 Biturbo
- 362 hp
- 9G-TRONIC Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.0L V6 Biturbo -inc: ECO start/stop system
- Transmission: 9G-TRONIC Automatic
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls and Oil Cooler
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 2.47 Axle Ratio
- 95-Amp/Hr 520CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- 4-Corner Auto-Leveling Suspension
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Height Adjustable Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Adaptive Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Multi-Link Front Suspension w/Air Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Air Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" Twin 5-Spoke
- Tires: P245/50R18 All-Season
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Tilting Glass Panorama 1st Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Fixed Glass 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Chrome Bodyside Insert
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster and Power Blind
- Light Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Reservoir
- Power w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Power w/Tilt Rear Head Restraints
- Aluminum Panels
- Chrome Grille
- EASY-PACK Power Open And Close Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Programmable Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Door Auto-Latch
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: COMAND w/Navigation -inc: Navigation Map Updates for 3 Years
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, Weatherband, External Memory Control and 10 Gb Internal Memory
- 13 Speakers
- 590w Regular Amplifier
- Automatic Equalizer
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Burmester Surround Sound System
- Pre-Wiring for CD Player
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Siriusxm Traffic Real-Time Traffic Display
- Heated Front Seats -inc: Power Front Seats w/Memory
- Bucket Front Seats w/Leatherette Back Material and Power 4-Way Driver Lumbar
- 18-Way Power Driver Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Cushion Extension, Seatback Side Bolster Support, Fore/Aft Movement, Cushion Tilt, Articulating Upper Backrest and Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 18-Way Power Passenger Seat -inc: Power Recline, Height Adjustment, Seatback Side Bolster Support, Fore/Aft Movement, Cushion Extension, Cushion Tilt, Articulating Upper Backrest and Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- Bench Front Facing Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- HERMES LTE Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Nappa Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front And Rear Cigar Lighter(s)
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Homelink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning w/Front Infrared
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum/Metal-Look Interior Accents and MB-Tex Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror and Illuminated Rear Visor Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, 3 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Driver And Passenger Seats, Door Mirrors, Steering Wheel, Head Restraints and HVAC
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- mbrace Secure Tracker System
- Smartphone Integration
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital Display
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- eCall Emergency System Emergency Sos
- PARKTRONIC w/Active Parking Assist Automated Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision Mitigation
- Active Lane Keeping Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Childseat Sensor and Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera