Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Standard seating for seven and optional seating for eight
- Both sides have a sliding side door
- Mercedes quality and prestige
- More passenger and cargo space than a minivan or an SUV
- Easy to drive with a good view of the road
- Reasonably priced for a premium brand
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van occupies a unique place in the automotive world. The Metris offers far more interior space than a traditional minivan or an SUV with three rows of seats, but it's smaller than passenger vehicles based on full-sized cargo vans. Pricing is also very reasonable for a premium brand like Mercedes-Benz.
Businesses such as hotels purchase most vehicles of this type to transport large groups of people and their luggage from one place to another, but Mercedes-Benz designed the Metris Passenger Van to work just as well for day-to-day family transportation.
Offering seating for up to eight passengers, a sliding door on both sides, ample luggage space, and a host of advanced safety features, the 2019 Mercedes-Benz Metris passenger carrier is a practical and intelligent alternative to minivans built on car platforms and to SUVs engineered first and foremost for off-road use. The Metris combines the elevated driving position of an SUV with the interior comfort of a minivan, and it offers more cargo capacity than either.
What Trim Levels are Available on the Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van?
Mercedes-Benz offers the Metris Passenger Van in only one trim level, but option packages can add a wide range of interior and exterior features. A cold weather package adds heated front seats, a more powerful heater, and more comfortable seats with adjustable lumbar support.
Equipped for Practicality and Comfort
The most popular option packages Metris Passenger Van buyers chose in 2018 were the Luxury Interior Package, the Driving Assistance Package, and the Deluxe Appearance Package. The long list of interior and exterior equipment these packages add to the Metris includes:
- A comfort suspension upgrade
- Chrome interior accents
- An overhead control panel
- A collision prevention system with blind spot assist
- Body-colored bumpers
- Wipers that turn on automatically when it rains
- A chrome radiator grille
- Fog lamps
You can individually order interior and exterior options on a new Metris, including a navigation system, black roof rails, a more powerful air conditioner, and active parking assist. Mercedes offers the 2019 Metris with seats trimmed in either durable black fabric or black leatherette, and many dealers carry a wide range of genuine parts and accessories.
Is the Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van a Practical Family Vehicle?
While the Metris Passenger Van may be the leader when it comes to interior space, it isn't as versatile as a full-sized SUV or minivan with seats that fold down easily or disappear into the floor. This kind of feature wasn't available in 2018, and Mercedes-Benz hasn't added it for the 2019 model year.
Lots of Space, but Heavy Seats
Instead, Metris owners searching for even more space must detach the heavy bench seats from their rails and physically remove them. However, the Mercedes-Benz Metris is so big inside that this chore will rarely, if ever, be necessary. The van in standard trim provides seating for seven Metris passengers, with seating for eight offered as an option.
On the plus side, a family will find the Metris Passenger Van easy to get in and out of thanks to its large dual sliding doors that open a full 35.5 inches so that even tall Metris passengers will have plenty of room in the back to stretch out once they get inside. Remote control-operated power sliding doors are also offered as an option.
A large power liftgate makes loading or unloading cargo simple, but its size could make opening it difficult in tight spaces. Another bonus for growing families is that the LATCH-system child seat anchor points are available on all of the rear seats. The Mercedes-Benz Metris passenger carrier passes the hauling test with a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, and its maximum payload is an impressive 1,896 pounds.
What Engine and Transmission Does the Metris Come With?
A turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine that produces 208 horsepower, 5,000 rpm, and 258 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm powers the Metris Passenger Van. Mercedes engineers are able to wring so much power out of a 2-liter engine by using dual overhead camshafts and direct injection technology.
A Practical Balance of Performance and Economy
While its engine isn't as powerful as the V6s found in many minivans or the V8s that most full-sized SUVs come equipped with, the Metris is still able to reach highway speeds in less than nine seconds, even when passengers occupy all of its seats. This is quite brisk for a passenger van and a testament to the quality of Mercedes parts. A seven-speed automatic transmission transfers this power to the tarmac.
Large and heavy vehicles tend to burn more gas, but the Metris offers reasonable fuel economy for a van of its size. The van delivers 19 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway, which gives the Metris a combined EPA fuel economy rating of 22 mpg. With an 18.49-gallon fuel tank, the Metris has a range in the city of about 350 miles and a highway range of about 425 miles.
What is the Mercedes-Benz Metris Like to Drive?
The Metris may have cargo van roots, but it's still a premium vehicle and surprisingly civilized to drive. Drivers sit up high in the passenger van and have a commanding view of the road from behind the wheel.
Safety Features You Would Expect in a Mercedes
The standard dynamic handling system on the Metris applies braking to individual wheels and reduces engine power in emergency situations automatically. Mercedes-Benz engineered the van to have a tight turning circle and light steering for driving on busy city streets
Vehicles as tall as the Mercedes-Benz Metris can be unpredictable and difficult to drive in strong winds, but Mercedes has addressed this high-roof problem by equipping the Metris with Crosswind Assist. When the system detects strong gusts of wind, it uses the active suspension and applies the brakes on one side to keep the vehicle in its lane.
How Safe is the Metris Passenger Van?
Mercedes-Benz has been setting vehicle safety benchmarks for decades, so it’s not surprising that it equipped this passenger van with an array of active and passive safety systems. The list of safety features includes a rearview camera that switches on when you select reverse gear and a system that watches and alerts drivers when they seem to be getting drowsy.
The Metris Offers Peace of Mind
Buyers who want to provide Metris passengers with even more protection can choose from other useful options, including blind spot assist and a lane management system that uses a camera to watch the road ahead and that issues visual and audible warnings when vehicles begin to stray. There's even an automatic collision prevention system available that protects Metris passengers by measuring the distances between vehicles and applying the brakes to avoid a crash when another car or object gets too close.
Are Metris Passenger Vans a Good Deal?
Metris Passenger van pricing for the 2019 model year starts at $34,800 and can reach almost $50,000 if buyers check every box on the options list. However, pricing may be slightly lower for consumers who can find a dealer lot with 2018 models.
A Surprisingly Good Value
While this may seem high for a new vehicle that started out as a humble cargo van, it represents good value for a Mercedes-Benz that offers more passenger and cargo space than minivans and SUVs that cost far more. The long list of options and relatively short list of standard features also means that drivers can order only the equipment they want at dealers and don't have to pay a higher price for items that they'll rarely use.
Searching the equipment list reveals that the 2019 Metris is virtually unchanged from the 2018 model. This means that it may be possible to find a dealer with leftover or preowned vans that could reduce the price even further without sacrificing any new features.
Dealers have been stocking the Mercedes-Benz Metris passenger line since 2015, yet the van doesn't sell in huge numbers despite having a sliding door on both the driver and passenger sides. This means that preowned models are fairly rare, but you can still find them. Online tools can make finding a preowned Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van much easier, and a factory warranty will likely still cover most used models.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van
- Huge amount of passenger and cargo space
- Elevated driving position provides a good view of the road
- Built with quality parts by Mercedes-Benz
- Good value for money
- Surprisingly spirited performance
- Limited rear visibility
- Seats are heavy and difficult to remove
- Exterior looks more like a cargo van than a car
- Noisier inside than most cars, minivans, and SUVs
The Mercedes-Benz Metris can trace its roots back to the Vito and Viano cargo and passenger vans the company introduced in 1996, but the Metris wasn't offered for sale in the United States until 2015. The first-generation vans were fairly basic, and some came powered by engines supplied by Volkswagen. The second generation, which was launched in 2003, was all Mercedes-Benz.
In 2008, the light steering, smooth automatic transmission, large doors, and high roof of the Vito led to London approving it for use as a taxi car in London. To make the London taxi car variants even more maneuverable, test drivers and cabbies could activate an electric rear wheel steering system by using an installed dashboard switch.
The Metris has earned a reputation for being highly adaptable, and it's even sold as a camper van in some markets. When Mercedes-Benz launched the Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van in America, it was the lowest priced 2016 model year Mercedes available.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz Metris Passenger Van
- Body Style
- Passenger Van
- 2.0L I-4 Turbo w/Direct Injection
- 208 hp
- 7G-TRONIC PLUS 7-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L I-4 Turbo w/Direct Injection
- Transmission: 7G-TRONIC PLUS 7-Speed Automatic -inc: ECO Start/Stop
- GVWR: 6,614 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.47 Axle Ratio
- 92-Amp/Hr 850CCA Maintenance-Free Battery
- Regenerative 190 Amp Alternator
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- 1896# Maximum Payload
- Front Anti-Roll Bar
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 18.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Trailing Arm Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 6.5J x 17" Steel
- Tires: 225/55R17 AS -inc: either Continental VancoFourSeason (M+S) or Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 (M+S) tires assigned by the factory
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper
- Black Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Manual Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille
- Sliding Rear Doors
- Split Swing-Out Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: Audio 15 w/AM/FM/USB/Bluetooth -inc: 5.8" color screen and AUX
- Radio w/Seek-Scan and Clock
- 5 Front & 4 Rear Audio System Speakers
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 7-Seat Configuration, Driver + 6 Passengers
- Adjustable Front Driver Seat
- 4-Way Driver Seat
- Adjustable Front Passenger Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat
- Driver And Front Passenger Armrests, Rear Seat Mounted Armrest Outboard Only and Mounted On Seat Outboard Only
- Manual Tilt Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer and Trip Odometer
- Fixed Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Removable Third Row Seats, 3-Places
- 3 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy and Illuminated Entry
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation, Auxiliary Rear Heater, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Supplemental Heater
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Tunja Fabric Seat Trim
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Partial Floor Console w/Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Vinyl/Rubber Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Vinyl/Rubber Floor Trim and Board Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Instrument Panel Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows
- Power Door Locks
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Removable Second Row Seats, 2-Places
- Seats w/Vinyl Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Crosswind Assist Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera