Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Excellent fuel efficiency
- Engines rapidly respond with power, especially on the AMG variants
- A range of standard convenience, safety, and technology features
- All-wheel drive comes standard on 2019 GLE models
The Mercedes-Benz M-Class has been impressing luxury car buyers since 1997. Now known as the GLE-Class, the M-Class' name change happened in 2016. This mid-size crossover SUV has a lot to offer in the way of comfort, fuel efficiency, and athletic driving capabilities.
As any Mercedes dealer will tell you, the 2019 GLE-Class is a diverse lineup of models. From the base GLE 400 to the line-topping AMG GLE 63 S, the former M-Class is still one of the best premium luxury vehicles on the market. Let's take a look at what makes the Mercedes-Benz M-Class (and the current GLE-Class) so special.
What's New in the Mercedes-Benz M-Class?
Like the M-Class, this vehicle featured an athletic exterior design. As the GLE-Class, it looks even more refined. You can choose from nine different colors, and the 19-inch five-spoke wheels come standard.
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class features standard all-wheel drive (known as the 4MATIC on Mercedes models). Also, the GLE 350 is now known as the GLE 400. This base trim offers a turbocharged V6 engine, giving the vehicle plenty of power.
This Benz has a list of standard features and options that includes:
- Unique details on the AMG models
- Privacy glass
- Side mirror logo projectors
- Aluminum roof rails
- Options for 20-inch five-spoke or AMG five-spoke wheels
Interior Style in the Mercedes-Benz M-Class
The former M-Class and the current GLE-Class pack a ton of premium luxury details and features into the interior. The spacious rear seat is cozy for adults of any size. It can handle short city drives as well as long journeys on country roads.
An auto of this class is not always the most amenable to users, but the GLE-Class has a rider-friendly cabin. Standard features and options include:
- A 10-way power-adjustable driver seat
- Heated front seats
- Remote start
- A power liftgate
- Brake HOLD
- A heated steering wheel
- Heated rear seats
- A heated steering wheel
- Nappa leather upholstery on the optional sport seats
What Technology Comes In the Mercedes-Benz M-Class?
Technology is still developing in cars and will take time to perfect. However, Mercedes is getting closer to perfection with this class of vehicles. Even back in 2012, you could get a Benz with Bluetooth connectivity, HD radio, and a DVD player.
The 2019 GLE Class gives you even more for the price. Included in this model are the following features:
- A 7-inch high-resolution color screen
- Two USB audio ports
- A central controller
Optional features include smartphone app integration, the COMAND navigation system, and SiriusXM Satellite Radio at your discretion.
What Kind of Safety Features Are in the Mercedes-Benz M-Class?
In your search for a sale on the M-Class or GLE-Class, you will come across safety reviews. This type of luxury SUV is generally loaded with safety features. The advantage that the GLE-Class (and the M-Class before it) has over its competition is its superb safety ratings.
Whether you get a 2012, 2014, 2018, or new 2019 model, this SUV has an impressive list of safety features. A few of the 2019 lineup's features are:
- Attention Assist
- Active Brake Assist
- Crosswind Assist
- Trailer Stability Assist
- A rearview camera
- An advanced tire pressure monitoring system
- Adaptive braking technology
You might also want to consider adding the following options:
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist
- A surround-view system
- Pre-Safe Plus
- Active Blind Spot Assist
The Driving Experience with the Mercedes-Benz M-Class
Driving the M-Class was fun, according to many reviews from 2014 and before. The GLE-Class is just as exciting, maybe even more so. It has a solid list of mechanical features that provide the driver with strong driving performance.
A turbocharged 3.0-L V6 engine (paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission) provides these cars with 329 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque. Upgrading to the AMG nabs you one of several higher-powered engines. The AMG GLE 43 gets 385 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque while the 63 gets 550 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque.
For more power, the AMG GLE 63 S offers 577 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque from its V8 engine. This engine still gets paired with the 9-speed automatic transmission. You will just need to compromise on mpg with this car.
Opting for the GLE-Class 400 will garner you about 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. This is fairly decent for a vehicle in its class.
If you get one of the higher trim levels, there is an air suspension. When put into comfort mode, the air suspension system makes the ride extra smooth.
Buying a New Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
During your search for a new car, you will likely entertain the idea of buying a new model. As far as the GLE-Class goes, the newer models are great to own if you can find a dealer who has a good sale going on. This will help reduce the overall price, which can be hefty for a luxury SUV.
The newer models are better designed in the interior. Also, they have more up-to-date tech and safety features.
Are There Any Used Mercedes-Benz M-Class Models I Should Avoid?
You can search and easily find a 2012, 2013, 2014, or 2015 M-Class model in good condition. As far as the best years go, the 2008 and 2012 model years are highly regarded for their performance, quality of construction, and dependability.
The biggest downside is that service will not be covered under warranty on the older models. You'll have to service the vehicle with a mechanic of your choice.
Opt for a 2018 if you plan on having a dealer service your Benz. Finding a sale on an older Mercedes-Benz M-Class model will help save on some of the purchasing cost.
Pros and Cons of the 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
- Multiple strong engine options
- Safety features in abundance
- A sizable, cozy cabin
- Lacks personal item storage space
- Standard suspension isn't as refined as the air suspension
- A bit bulky for city driving
From 1997 to 2015, Mercedes-Benz manufactured this luxury SUV under the name "M-Class." Meant to offer an alternative to the popular C-Class and E-Class (which has been in production since 1953), the M-Class rapidly gained popularity. This was the first luxury SUV to boast electronic stability control, an early form of semi-autonomous technology that corrects lane weaving.
From the start, the M-Class also led the way in safety. The first generation featured front- and side-impact airbags as well as advanced occupant detection for the front passenger seat.
The focus on safety continued through the second generation (2005-2011) and third generation (2011-2019). Mercedes even designed an M-Class Popemobile based on the 2012 lineup and delivered it to the then-pope, Pope Benedict XVI.
While the second generation of M-Class SUVs got a heavy upgrade, the changes for the third generation were more subtle. The refined vehicle featured more leg room and some stylistic adjustments based on the new E-Class. It also added improved fuel economy, optional Adaptive Cruise Control (Distronic Plus), and the Active Lane Departure Warning System.
In 2013, the M-Class won "most ideal vehicle" honors in the Luxury Crossover SUV from automotive research and consulting firm AutoPacific. The award is generally given to the automaker that best listens to its buyers when updating its vehicles.
Mercedes changed the M-Class to the GLE-Class for the 2016 model year. Aside from a minor facelift in design, the name was the only major change that year. The new moniker helped the SUV avoid confusion with other model names and fell in line with the company's new branding scheme.
Since then, each model year has seen a few alterations, mostly in regard to re-naming trim levels and swapping features around. The GLE-Class continues in the tradition firmly established by the Mercedes-Benz M-Class.
Specs & Key Features of the 2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.5L DOHC 24-Valve V6
- 302 hp
- 7-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- DVD Player
- Heated Seats
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.5L DOHC 24-Valve V6
- Transmission: 7-Speed Automatic -inc: steering wheel shift paddles
- 3.90 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 6,173 lbs
- Transmission w/Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 70-Amp/Hr 600CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 2 Skid Plates
- 1631# Maximum Payload
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 24.6 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 19" Twin-5-Spoke Alloy
- Tires: 255/50R19 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front And Rear Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Flex Fuel Capability
- Radio: COMAND AM/FM/DVD/CD -inc: 7" color display, Bluetooth connectivity, DVD video/audio player, in dash SD memory card reader, USB port and 8-speaker audio system w/automatic speed-sensitive volume adjustment
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and Weatherband
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: power adjustable front seats w/driver lumbar support
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Flip Forward Cushion/Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Send2Benz Selective Service Internet Access
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Homelink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood/Chrome Door Panel Insert, Aluminum/Genuine Wood Console Insert and Chrome/Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- MB-Tex Leatherette Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual w/Tilt Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- mbrace2 Emergency Sos
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners