Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Standard all-wheel drive 4MATIC
- One of the best interior spaces in an SUV
- A range of powerful engine options
- Seating for seven people
Whether you're driving on one of New York's busy city streets or down a country dirt road, the Mercedes-Benz GLS can handle it. This luxury SUV can be bought with an all-wheel drive system known as the 4MATIC. While it isn't the most tech-savvy vehicle, it has ample acceleration on any powertrain as well as a cozy cabin.
The most attractive feature on the GLS is the fact that it can seat seven people. The second row is remarkably spacious, and even the third row is easy to access.
If you're looking for a workhorse vehicle with a lot of space but don't want to get a van, the Mercedes-Benz GLS might be just the car for you.
What's New in the Mercedes-Benz GLS?
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS is mostly the same as its predecessor, the 2018 GLS. However, there is one noteworthy change: the new GLS Grand Edition. Chic leather upholstery is swapped in, and there are a number of optional features on the base 450 that come standard on the Grand Edition.
The Mercedes-Benz GLS's Exterior Design
Some might say that this Mercedes-Benz looks a bit dated. That's debatable, but one thing is for sure: The 2019 GLS is athletic in its exterior appearance. Its lines are sleek, and the front grille makes a bold statement with its size and surrounds.
You can order the GLS in your choice of nine body paint colors on the GLS 450, 550, or AMG GLS 63. All of these models come with satin silver and chrome details that add a luxurious touch.
This aerodynamic vehicle is meant to be sensible yet stylish. Just take a look at its 19-inch five-spoke wheels, which are designed to house all-season tires. The standard tires provide excellent road grip and should inspire driver confidence.
In other words, this vehicle is ideal for harsh weather in New York or anywhere else in the country with long winters.
Interior Style in the Mercedes-Benz GLS
The interior of the GLS speaks to Mercedes-Benz's focus on sensibility over high-tech appeal. For those who love analog features, this cabin is loaded with them.
There are, of course, a number of luxury features. You can enjoy functions like:
- Heated front seats
- Third-row seats that are power-folding
- A power liftgate
- Three years of service from Mercedes Me Connect
- A household-type 115-volt power outlet
Optional features include tri-zone climate control, a heated steering wheel, and a power Easy-Entry function for the second row of seats.
What Technology Comes in the Mercedes-Benz GLS?
Whether you want to watch videos on the optional DVD player or pump up the volume on your favorite CD, you can do it in the 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS. This Benz is one of those luxury SUVs that emphasizes user-friendly technology. Mercedes-Benz keeps the multimedia features on the GLS simple. Take, for example, the following standard features:
- 7-inch high-resolution color display
- Bluetooth interface and audio streaming
- An in-dash SD card reader and CD player
- Two USB audio ports
- A central controller for easy manual use
- Garmin MAP PILOT
If you want to get more tech-savvy, you can add COMAND navigation, which offers free updates for the first three years of use. Also available are in-vehicle Wi-Fi connectivity and smartphone app integration via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
What Kind of Safety Features Are in the Mercedes-Benz GLS?
Safety features on the GLS range from Active Brake Assist to an impressive 11-way protective airbag system. A rear-view camera, Crosswind Assist, and an anti-theft alarm system also help keep this vehicle and its occupants safe on the road.
If that isn't enough for you, Mercedes-Benz offers a slew of optional safety features. This includes:
- Lane Keep Assist
- Blind Spot Assist
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist
- A surround-view camera system
Bear in mind that these optional features cost more. The Driver Assistance Package can save you some money because it includes PRE-SAFE PLUS and all of the essential assist features.
What Is the Mercedes-Benz GLS Like to Drive?
Driving the 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS Class evokes a sense of safety and practicality. There is a nice array of powertrain options, starting with the base trim's turbocharged V6 engine and 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission, which comes with shift paddles. This engine gets 362 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque, which is certainly enough to get this SUV up and moving on any road.
However, if you crave more power, you can upgrade to the 550's turbo V8 engine, which is also paired with the 9G-TRONI automatic transmission. This engine garners a strong 449 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. The AMG GLS 63's V8 tops that with its massive 577 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque.
Should I Buy a New Mercedes-Benz GLS?
There are videos and reviews out there talking about how the 2019 Benz lacks hype. The real hype surrounds the upcoming 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS. The 2020 models, which debuted at the 2020 New York Auto Show, mark a new generation for the GLS and will feature many alterations.
The 2019 models are good vehicles to own if you're looking for something family-friendly. However, if you want beefed-up power and high-tech gadgets, hold off for the time being and invest your money in the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS Class.
Should I Buy a Used Mercedes-Benz GLS? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
A used GLS will still provide you with a tech-light interface and sturdy build. The 2018 Mercedes GLS Class has a line-up of SUVs that offer a spacious interior, a fantastic off-roading package, and a quiet and luxurious ride. The only downside is that a lot of the features most customers desire are optional, not standard.
Rear seats in both the 2017 and 2018 models are accessible for adults as well as children. And, up front, the interface is still incredibly user-friendly with plenty of physical knobs and buttons. The infotainment system could be better. However, if you don't want to rely on the in-vehicle navigation, you should have an easy time with the Mercedes-Benz GLS interface.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS
- One of the best and most spacious third-row designs
- A quiet ride quality
- Plenty of power on any model
- All-wheel drive 4MATIC is standard
- Infotainment system is clunky
- Huge price jump between the GLS 550 and the AMG GLS 63
- A lot of features don't come standard
The Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class is one of those cars that has always flown under the radar. It started off as the GL Class, which made news with its inception in 2006. It seemed to pale in comparison to the news coverage of the GLE, GT, and S-Class.
The first generation of the GL reached a top speed of 146 mph with its V8 engine and 7-speed automatic transmission. For a car of this class, this amount of power was definitely sufficient. The vehicle kept making news, and the GL reached its sales peak by 2011. By then, it competed well with the GLE, S-Class, and GT.
Mercedes re-branded the GL as the GLS in 2016 after making some much-needed changes to the cars. The GL became the S-Class of the company's line of SUVs.
The year 2020 will mark the third generation of these cars. By all rights, it should prove to be an impressive new chapter in the lifespan of the Mercedes-Benz GLS.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS
- Body Style
- 3.0L Biturbo V6
- 362 hp
- 9G-TRONIC 9-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.0L Biturbo V6
- Transmission: 9G-TRONIC 9-Speed Automatic
- 3.27 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: TBD
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Full-Time 4MATIC All-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- 4-Corner Auto-Leveling Suspension
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Height Adjustable Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 23.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Air Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Air Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Lithium Ion Traction Battery
- Wheels: 19" Twin 5-Spoke
- Tires: P275/55R19 AS
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Chrome Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Chrome Bumper Insert
- Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM -inc: 12.3" media display w/touchscreen, smartphone integration, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, 9 USB ports, MB navigation w/live traffic and map updates, Burmester surround sound system and SiriusXM radio
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Weatherband, External Memory Control and 10 Gb Internal Memory
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Burmester Surround Sound System -inc: 13 high-performance speakers, 9-channel DSP 590-watt amplifier, Frontbass woofers, and Vehicle Noise Compensation (VNC)
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Power Front Seats w/Driver Memory
- 7-Seat Configuration -inc: fully electric 3-passenger second-row seat
- 8-Way Power Front Seats
- Heated Front Seats
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat -inc: Power 4-Way Lumbar Support
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Inclinometer, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Power Vented 3rd Row Windows
- HERMES LTE Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Fixed 50-50 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Power Fold Into Floor, 2 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Homelink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome/Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- MB-Tex Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console, 3 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors, Steering Wheel and Head Restraints
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows, Sunroof/Convertible Roof and Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- 4-Way Driver Lumbar Support
- Power Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Crosswind Assist Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- eCall Emergency System Emergency Sos
- Active Parking Assist Automated Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Childseat Sensor and Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Surround View Back-Up Camera
- Front Camera
- Left Side Camera
- Right Side Camera