Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
• Includes an SUV trim with a few models to choose from
• Its midsize body offers interior room and good handling
• Contains a high-performance turbo motor
• Boasts simple and effective safety tools
The Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class of vehicles is an attractive addition to the family. The 2020 GLE line of vehicles comes in SUV form. The SUV branch of the family exists as the GLE 350 and the GLE 450 4matic trims.
All of the SUV versions of this iconic vehicle offer similar levels of comfort, performance, and even safety. Plus, like most members of the Mercedes-Benz family, the GLE branch knows how to have a good time. To this end, all of these vehicles include the kinds of luxury features that define the Mercedes-Benz brand.
The Mercedes GLE-Class of vehicles allows occupants to drive in style. The class of 2020 offers access to interior and exterior vistas that can appeal to wide swaths of drivers and passengers.
People who want to experience seat-sinking power will certainly benefit from time behind the wheel of the 350 or 450 models. Families, or those who want more interior space to play around, need not search for a capable SUV anymore.
What’s more, the flexibility of the trim offerings gives future Mercedes-Benz owners more control over how best to set up their cars. This flexibility extends to color choices with everything from white to black available.
What Types of Luxury Features Can You Expect?
All the members of the Mercedes-Benz GLE family of vehicles know how to treat occupants well. This devotion to user comfort is reflected in the GLE-350 version of this car. While this vehicle certainly posts performance numbers that are shockingly good, it also includes many standard luxury features.
Mercedes-Benz User Experience
- The luxury begins with the occupant interaction systems. Mercedes-Benz is happy to offer GLE-Class operators the benefits of their Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) system. This MBUX system features a raft of different ways for operators and occupants to interact with this SUV, including through touchscreens, touchpads, and voice commands.
- As soon as occupants of this vehicle sink into their seats, they will feel the luxury firsthand. Both front seats offer multiple position adjustments for maximum personal comfort. Just as important, this system can remember the setting preferences of several passengers and store them for easy future use.
- Both of the front seats, and even the armrests, are also climate controlled with built-in cooling and heating elements. As such, drivers of GLE-Class vehicles will be extra comfortable regardless of outside conditions.
- This luxury also extends to interior space. Front seat passengers can lean back and stretch their legs out with the available 40-inch legroom area as they enjoy massage-capable seats. Tall passengers will have no problem getting in and sitting in this vehicle as it also offers over 40.5 inches of headroom in the front.
- Second row passengers aren't too far behind with rear shoulder room areas that measure close to 60 inches. These numbers add up to provide riders in these SUVs with plenty of elbow room.
Performance and Handling
Like almost all members of the Mercedes-Benz family of vehicles, the GLE-Class SUVs have plenty of fire under their hoods.
The GLE 350 trim boasts a turbo engine with four-cylinder power at the ready. This 2.0L auto engine can easily develop 273 foot-pounds of torque at a mere 2,500 revolutions per minute. The GLE 450 version develops 355hp at relatively low RPMs, and these numbers allow this vehicle to both take off the line quickly and maintain acceleration over long periods.
Underlying these impressive numbers are just as impressive interior motor designs. Within the cylinders, high-pressure fuel interacts with multiple interior sparks to ensure clean and thorough fuel burning. Digitally controlled variable valve systems work to keep timing levels at precise tolerances, and laudable extras like in-line turbochargers help to complete the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE power picture.
These trims also include nine-speed Mercedes-Benz automatic transmissions in their design packages. This nine-speed wonder offers drivers the ability to select one of several driving modes. Combined with the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, these transmissions allow drivers to truly get more out of their motors.
Even though these motors are powerful and capable, they still keep energy efficiency in mind. To this end, this SUV offers drivers the option of using a special ECO-Stop system. When activated, the system can shut off the engine at key moments during road travel. The system saves on mpg, and it also significantly cuts emissions.
Handling and channeling all that power takes a steady hand, and the GLE does so admirably with its proactive suspension. This suspension system brings goodies like adaptive damping, power assisted steering, and even adjustable stiffness levels.
The Mercedes-Benz GLE also helps to keep the tires on the road with specialized all wheel drive service. The default setting is a special 4:6 torque force division that works to prevent spinouts and slides on takeoffs. Plus, the all wheel drive benefits from an E-Active electronic traction system that can, among many other things, identify wheel slip and divert power to other tires.
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE engine is strong enough to power a pickup truck. As such, this vehicle also has the towing capacity to the tune of well over 7,000 pounds. This allows operators to harness torque through its optional towing hitch system. This system allows equipped vehicles to tow multi-ton trailers and surprisingly large amounts of cargo.
How Do These Cars Keep You Safe?
The Mercedes-Benz GLE class SUVs keep their drivers and passengers safe with a suite of innovative protection tools. These protection tools include braking backup, attentional assistance, the Mercedes PRE-SAFE system, and blanket airbag coverage.
- All of the Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV trims enjoy the services of special Active Brake Assist technology. This system combines radar sensors and microprocessors to identify potential collisions. If drivers fail to brake in time during such situations, the Active assistance system can employ the proper amount of force.
- It is impossible for drivers to hit their brakes if they are not paying attention, but the proprietary ATTENTION System keeps its eyes on up to 70 different driving parameters to make sure that this does not occur. If it does, the special 2020 Mercedes-Benz system can use visual and audio alerts to wake drivers up to any signs of danger.
- The Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 and other trims can even take care of passengers if and when accidents do occur. Serious accidents can leave vehicle occupants unable to call for help, but the specialized Mercedes-Benz Emergency Service can relay important accident related information to the proper authorities. This information includes GPS for basic location services as well as 24/7 phone backup.
- Yet another innovative and proprietary Mercedes-Benz technology is the PRE-SAFE system. This prophetic system uses a constellation of sensors to predict possible rollovers, collisions, or other unfortunate events. After identifying such dangerous situations, the Mercedes-Benz GLE's PRE-SAFE system can take precautionary actions such as closing open windows, adjusting seat angles, and even changing seat belt tension levels to prevent unnecessary injury.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE
- In addition to offering several trims, the SUVs offer many creative feature packages
- New and some used vehicles come with generous dealer warranty coverage
- Offers Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles
- Occupants can enjoy convenient voice-activated interaction
- Turbocharged motors offer good performance and hauling capacity
- Vehicle operators can vary suspension stiffness
- The three-row version is somewhat lacking in rear passenger space
- Not as fuel efficient as many hybrids
The history of the GLE-Class of vehicles begins in 2016 with the conversion of the then existing M-Class. Once the conversion took place, all succeeding models received upgrades in areas such as safety, performance, and style. A prototype plug-in hybrid GLE saw service on roads for a short time, but the experts at Benz put out fuel-efficient but gas-powered replacements.
More recent versions including some 2018 models have the extra power and convenience of turbo V-6 and V-8 motors. While the 2019 version is roomy enough, the 2020 offering has a larger overall body, and this adds several inches to interior passenger room. Plus, larger interior touch/view screens and track pads of the Mercedes-Benz GLE make it easy to control and see vital car systems.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L I4 Turbo
- 255 hp
- 9G-TRONIC 9-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L I4 Turbo
- Transmission: 9G-TRONIC 9-Speed Automatic
- Axle Ratio: 3.69
- GVWR: 6,217 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 70-Amp/Hr 600CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 2 Skid Plates
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 22.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Polished Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 19" Twin 5-Spoke
- Tires: 255/50R19 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Metal-Look Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Aluminum Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Fixed Interval Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Chrome Grille
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: MBUX Multimedia System -inc: 5 USBs (3 in front, 2 in rear) and 3 USB Type-C to Type-A Converters, Touchpad Located in center console
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Radio Data System, Weatherband, DVD-Audio and External Memory Control
- 8 Speakers
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Aerial for GPS
- HD Radio
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- Heated Power Front Seats w/Driver Memory
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Flip Forward Cushion/Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Nappa Leather Steering Wheel w/Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Hands-Free Access Proximity Cargo Access
- Homelink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Residual Heat Recirculation and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome/Aluminum Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- MB-Tex Leatherette Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors and Steering Wheel
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows, Sunroof/Convertible Roof and Remote Engine Start
- Tracker System
- Navigation Services
- Smartphone Integration
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- eCall Emergency System
- MBUX Voice Control
- MB Navigation
- Live Traffic
- Navigation Updates for 3 Years
- Wide Screen Media Display -inc: two 12.3" digital displays w/touchscreen
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Power Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual w/Tilt Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Heated Front Bucket Seats
- 4-Way Lumbar Support
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- ESP w/Crosswind Assist Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Active Parking Assist Automated Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera