Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
• Comfortable interior
• Great road handling
• Off-road capability
• All-wheel-drive on all models
• COMAND infotainment system
• Familiar look and design
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class has many new elements but still keeps the same look that everyone knows and loves. Only a few parts remain from earlier models, but the exterior still looks like a classic Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen. The new design is cleaner but has the same style of trim, hood, and doors on the outside.
The interior is very different with lots of accents and trims that look expensive. There is more leg and shoulder room in the front and passenger areas. The front seats have an added leg room of 1.5 inches more and an increased width of 2.7 inches.
The back seat has an amazing amount of added space. It has an additional 5.7 inches of leg room, 1.1 inches of height, and 2.2 inches of elbow room. Passengers will not fight over their rights to sit in the front because all riders will have a great seat.
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class now closely matches the best of its other Mercedes-Benz brothers. The interior of the vehicle has all the fun and safety features that are now common to most modern cars. Drivers benefit from having help and information while they travel.
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class is newly upgraded for the first time in many years. The G-Class now has all the performance and safety its owners want.
The new 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class includes these new features:
- Improved powertrain
- Independent front suspension
- Stronger front axle
- Increased distance from the ground
- Three differential locks
- Increased body length and width
- 375 pounds lighter
- Increased passenger and driver space
- Nine-speed automatic transmission
Available features for these models include an entertainment system in the rear area, massage options, and a heated steering wheel. There is also an available digital gauge display and a Wi-Fi hot spot.
There are five driving modes for the G-Class model that add different amounts of control during any type of drive. These modes include a new G-Mode that automatically changes the steering and acceleration systems. These modes stop gear shifting when it is not needed.
The available driving modes for these cars are:
There are several new standard driver assists that make the Mercedes-Benz G-Class more modern. Handy driver assists change automatically in certain driving conditions.
These systems help drivers park easily and also let drivers know if something is in front of the vehicle. The car will brake when needed, and it will send alerts if there is anything behind it.
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class Is Bigger and More Comfortable
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class has more space in the cabin and is larger. The 2019 G-Class has more interior space for its passengers than before. Even the tallest riders have plenty of room in the front and back with seats that have great support.
The car seats are not only roomier, but they are also more comfortable. The seats have standard leather upholstery and heated seats. There are available options like Nappa leather, massaging, ventilated front seats, and a heated steering wheel.
What Technology Features Does the Mercedes-Benz G-Class Have?
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class has a great infotainment package. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Bluetooth are standard features. You also get a Burmester audio system, two USB ports, a navigation system, and satellite radio.
A neat feature is the COMAND system, which is on a 12.3-inch display screen. This system is not a touchscreen but has a touchpad controller. The controller is easy to use once you learn it.
Vehicles Similar to the Mercedes-Benz G-Class
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class is a highly rated luxury SUV that provides great performance. There are several vehicles in this class which are also equally valued, and each has different positive features. Of this category, these SUVs are the most popular:
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover
- 2019 Lincoln Navigator
- 2019 BMW X7
- 2019 Lexus LX
- 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser
- 2019 Cadillac Escalade
- 2019 Infiniti QX80
Anyone searching for a luxury SUV will find great choices. However, the Mercedes-Benz G-Class stands out from the crowd because of its great off-road abilities. The exterior is sturdy and the vehicle has a powerful engine.
The cabin area is roomy with lots of space. There are many new driver assists that deliver safe and comfortable rides. These changes keep the Mercedes-Benz G-Class in the top levels for this class.
Safety Is Important in the Mercedes-Benz G-Class
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class is full of driver safety features that are common in modern automobiles. Features like braking assist and lane alerts are helpful. Drivers can set distance limits for other vehicles in front of them.
Traffic sign information lets you know what signs are there and what they mean. There is even an emergency button that sends your location if there is an accident. The vehicle information is also sent if the airbags deploy.
The attention assist is a new feature that senses if the driver may be sleepy. The system will give alerts if this happens. This safety sensor is not available in most vehicles as a safety feature but is standard for this vehicle.
How Well Does the Mercedes-Benz G-Class Do With Fuel Economy?
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class does not have a very good fuel use rating. However, most people who are buying a Mercedes-Benz G-Class will not care. It gets a better rate than before, but it still is not very economical.
The G-Class gets 14 mpg combined, 13 mpg in the city and 17 mpg on the highway. This is a one-mpg improvement combined and a 3-mpg increase for the highway. This gas rate may not seem like much, but it is fairly good for a large vehicle like the Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
- Large interior cabin area with lots of space
- 12-inch display screen
- Five available driving modes
- Great off-road ability
- Expensive interior with high-end materials
- Rugged build
- Smart safety features
- High price tag
- Bad fuel economy
- Display is not touchscreen
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class was first released in 1979 as an off-road vehicle for regular and military use. The look was very useful and basic. The G-Class had locking differentials and a narrow frame, and convertibles had a folding windshield for easy shipping.
Iran ordered 1,000 Mercedes-Benz vehicles before the actual release, and Mercedes had increased production. However, the ruler of Iran left in 1979, which was the same year for these new Mercedes-Benz SUVs.
Mercedes now had lots of vehicles with no main buyer in sight. Mercedes decided to refit the vehicles for civilian use and sell them to the general public.
Heinz Neunzig, a salesman with Mercedes at the time, made a plan to sell the large, useful, and powerful Mercedes-Benz G-Class to people who were fans. These people liked the vehicle for its unique looks and powerful off-road ability.
He found a team of employees who loved the Mercedes-Benz G-Class and trained them for driving the vehicle in all types of off-road conditions. The team sold the cars by showing buyers their off-road abilities. This team got bonuses and fun trips when they sold vehicles.
There were lots of sales, and Mercedes released the Mercedes-Benz 463 later in 1989. The 463 had wood trim, leather seats, and anti-lock brakes. This vehicle fast became a best-seller.
In 2002, Mercedes released the Mercedes-Benz G-Class in the US, where it was a popular choice in its class of luxury SUVs sold on a secondary market. There was a limited number in the US before this official release, and many people wanted one because there weren't very many.
This SUV has had steady sales in the US ever since its official release. The 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class and the AMG G63 are now 40 years old. The Mercedes-Benz G-Class is sure to continue to be a top choice for buyers.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 4.0L V8 biturbo
- 416 hp
- 9G-TRONIC Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- All Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 4.0L V8 biturbo
- Transmission: 9G-TRONIC Automatic
- Axle Ratio: 3.45
- GVWR: TBD
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Electronic Transfer Case
- Full-Time 4MATIC All-Wheel Drive
- Driver Selectable Front Locking Differential
- Driver Selectable Rear Locking Differential
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Class IV Towing Equipment -inc: Hitch and Trailer Sway Control
- 2 Skid Plates
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 26.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Trailing Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Electro-Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 19" 8-Spoke Alloy -inc: Painted
- Tires: 275/55R19 All Season
- Aluminum Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Mounted Outside Rear
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/1 Tow Hook and Stainless Steel Brush Guard
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Black Bodyside Moldings, Stainless Steel Bodyside Insert and Body-Colored Fender Flares
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers w/Heated Jets And Reservoir
- Front Windshield -inc: Electrically Heated Glass
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Running Boards
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Conventional Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Programmable Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Directionally Adaptive Auto High-Beam Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps w/Washer and Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Cornering Lights
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: COMAND w/Navigation -inc: 12.3" touch screen, Bluetooth connectivity and media interface, AppleCarPlay and Android Auto, SIRIUS XM radio w/6-month all-access trial and Burmester surround sound system
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, External Memory Control and Internal Memory
- 16 Speakers
- 590w Regular Amplifier
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Turn-By-Turn Navigation Directions
- Siriusxm Traffic Real-Time Traffic Display
- Power Heated Front Seats -inc: 12-way power front seats, memory and lumbar
- 10-Way Driver Seat
- 10-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Flip Forward Cushion/Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Inclinometer, Altimeter, Oil Level, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Mercedes me connect Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Nappa Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel w/EASY ENTRY/EXIT Auto Tilt-Away
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Voice Activated Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Genuine Wood/Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Genuine Wood/Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Genuine Wood/Metal-Look Console Insert, Piano Black/Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Upholstery
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console, 4 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim and Vinyl Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors, Steering Wheel and Head Restraints
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Sunroof/Convertible Roof
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Mercedes me connect Tracker System
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Power w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets and 1 AC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Mercedes me connect Emergency Sos
- PARKTRONIC w/Active Parking Assist Front And Rear Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Active Brake Assist with Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Active Lane Keeping Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Childseat Sensor and Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera