Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Two-seater convertible
- Partially retractable targa top
- 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder engine
- Tinted windshield
The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF is rated as a number-one sports car in many reviews. Light, fast, and super responsive, the Mazda MX-5 Miata is viewed as just pure fun. The steering is quick, and the suspension responds well on the road.
The MX-5 Miata RF is a targa-top convertible. The targa top is a hardtop that has a section of roof that retracts. The Miata RF roof design also features buttresses.
There are three trims available for the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF: Sport, Club, and Grand Touring. The main differences between the trims include safety features and entertainment system options as well as the overall look of the vehicle.
The Sport trim includes these standard features:
- Cloth seats with black trim
- Leather shift knob
- Leather steering wheel
- LED headlights and taillights
- Advanced keyless system
- Mazda CONNECT
- Commander control
- Push button start
- Rearview camera
- Solar control and tinted windshield
The Club trim adds these features:
- Black rear spoiler with lip
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Bose premium audio
- Heated seats
- Interior red accent stitching
- LED daytime running lights
- Piano black seat trim
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
The Grand Touring trim includes:
- Adaptive front lights
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
- Automatic climate control
- Auto headlights
- High beam control
- Lane departure warning
- Seats with leather trim
- Navigation system
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Smart City brake support
- Traffic sign recognition
Besides these models, there is a special 2019 Racing Orange 30th Anniversary Edition model. This is an exclusive trim, and there are only 500 models that will be sold in the US.
New Features for the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
The biggest change for the 2019 Mazda MX-5 is an improved engine. The four-cylinder engine with 2.0 liters has new parts and can achieve a 7,500 redline. It puts out 181 horsepower, has 151 torque, and delivers a very fast time in tests.
The Miata comes with either a standard six-speed manual or an available six-speed automatic transmission. There is also a new flywheel that is quieter.
Other changes for the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF include:
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- Standard rearview camera
- Expanded availability of the GT-S package
- Recaro seats (Club)
- Available brown soft top
- Metallic black wheels (Sport and Club)
- Standard traffic-sign alerts
- Low-speed auto emergency braking
For those who love the curve-hugging thrill of a sports car, the Grand Touring models now offer the GT-S package. This package comes with Bilstein shocks, a sport suspension, and a front strut brace. There is also a limited-slip differential.
This package used to be exclusive to the Club trim. Adding the GT-S package provides better handling on the road.
The Recaro seats were previously available only on the soft top but are now part of the BBS/Brembo/Recaro package. The optional Recaro seats provide better support on the sides. There are no active safety options available if you choose the BBS/Brembo packages.
Exterior Design of the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
To match your sophisticated style, everything on this model is sleek and smooth. The taillights are compact with short front and rear overhangs. The 17-inch wheels fit nicely in the wells, and the windshield frame slants back to meet the roof panel.
Interior Design of the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
The Mazda MX-5 Miata RF is a two-seater vehicle and comes standard with cloth coverings. For added luxury, you can choose upgraded materials like Nappa leather or Recaro seats.
The cabin area has room enough for most riders. The telescoping steering wheel adds more space and makes it easier to enter and exit the vehicle. The touchscreen infotainment system has an easy control knob and buttons on the center console.
What is the Fuel Economy Like?
The Mazda MX-5 Miata RF is a light car and gets great gas mileage. The RF is rated for 26 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. These numbers are similar to past ratings, and they are about the same as other convertibles in the same class.
Driving Assists Included for the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
There are many safety features that are standard and available as options in the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF. The i-ACTIVESENSE is a group of safety systems that uses radars and cameras to monitor driving conditions. These systems detect problems and use technology to prevent or reduce the results of crashes.
Depending on the specific model and options you choose, the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF has these available driver assists:
- Adaptive front-lighting system
- High beam control
- Lane departure warning system
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Blind spot monitoring
- Traffic sign recognition
- Smart City Brake Support
What Cars Are Similar to the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF?
There are several worthy cars in the sports and convertible classes of vehicles that have convertible options such as the Ford Mustang and the Fiat 124 Spider. However, the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF remains a top-ranking car in both these classes of vehicles.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
- Great handling
- Speedy acceleration
- User-friendly infotainment system
- Attractive interior
- Great fuel economy
- Limited trunk space
- Noisy ride
The Mazda MX-5 Miata sprang onto the scene in 1989. It was a classic British sports design with rear-wheel drive and the engine in front. The original Mazda MX-5 Miata was known as the NA generation.
It looked similar to a Lotus Elan and had pop-up headlights. The original color choices were blue, white, and red. Later editions had a silver metallic color choice.
The engine was a 1.6-liter engine with 116 horsepower and was paired with a five-speed manual transmission. The car was light and zippy, and it had great fuel economy. However, the cabin area was tight, and the trunk space was minimal.
The 1991 Special-Edition MX-5 Miata was a British Racing Green special edition. There were only 4000 of these cars made in the US. They had tan leather seats, a tan tonneau cover, and a black roof.
The Special Edition also had a Nardi wood shift knob, a wood handbrake grip, and a special badge on the center console. The green color of the car was the same as for Great Britain's Grand Prix.
In 1992, Mazda introduced a Sunburst Yellow color choice for the car. There were only 1500 Miata MX-5s with this color. Sunburst Yellow was only available for one year.
The Limited Edition was produced in 1993 and had a red leather interior and black paint. It had BBS aluminum wheels, aluminum grilles for the speakers, and red seatbelts.
Over the years, the Mazda MX-5 Miata received many upgrades and refreshed editions. A notable edition was the 1999 all-new body second-generation model. The body was curvier and had fixed headlights.
Other popular editions for the MX-5 Miata were an anniversary Sapphire Blue Mica edition and a second limited-edition British Racing Green. In 2004, the Miata gained a turbo four-cylinder engine.
The third generation of the Mazda MX-5 Miata came in 2006. It had a 2.0-liter engine with 170 horsepower and was heavier. In 2007, the Miata got a folding hardtop as a choice.
The fourth generation MX-5 Miata was released in 2016. It was smaller and lighter than the third-generation edition. It had modern airbags and other safety additions, and it was the fastest Miata yet.
The first RF model was introduced in 2017 with a Retractable Fastback (RF). In 2019, the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF became even faster with a souped-up engine.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
- Body Style
- 2.0L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-Valve I4 VVT
- 181 hp
- SKYACTIV-MT 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-Valve I4 VVT
- Transmission: SKYACTIV-MT 6-Speed Manual -inc: short-throw shifter
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 2.87 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 45-Amp/Hr Maintenance-Free Battery
- 100 Amp Alternator
- Bilstein Brand Name Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Sport Tuned Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 11.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Double Wishbone Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7" Metallic Black Aluminum Alloy
- Tires: P205/45R17 High-Performance Summer
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Black Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Power Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Power Convertible Retractable Hard Top w/Lining, Glass Rear Window and Windblocker Fixed Wind Blocker
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Auto Off Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Auto-Leveling Daytime Running Lights Preference Setting Headlamps
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM Sound System -inc: auxiliary-audio input jack, Bluetooth hands free phone and audio, SiriusXM satellite radio w/4-month subscription, speed-sensing automatic volume control and 2 USB audio inputs
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Steering Wheel Controls
- Regular Amplifier
- Fixed Antenna
- BOSE Audio System -inc: 9-speakers w/AudioPilot, driver and passenger headrest speakers and subwoofer
- MAZDA CONNECT Infotainment System -inc: 7" full color touch screen, multi function commander control, voice command, radio broadcast data system program information, HD radio, Aha, Pandora, Stitcher internet radio integration, SMS text message audio delivery and relay and E911 automatic emergency notification
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Reclining Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 3 heat settings, forward/back slide feature, driver side front tilt, integrated headrests and passenger back panel covered storage,
- 6-Way Driver Seat
- 4-Way Passenger Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Leatherette Instrument Panel Insert, Body-Colored Door Panel Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Upholstery w/Red Stitching
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Instrument Panel Bin
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Down
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Front Center Armrest
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Blind Spot Monitoring Blind Spot Sensor
- and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Side Airbag Head Extension
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera