Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Stylish exterior
- Fun to drive, sharp handling
- Impressive turbo-4 engine
- Lots of safety features
- Plenty of creature comforts
The Mazda Mazda6 Ages Gracefully
For the most part, the Mazda Mazda6 does just about everything right. For the 2019 model year, there were few changes from the 2018 design, except for the inclusion of more safety hardware.
Since Mazda first launched the 6, the company hinted that it would soon release more power. Finally, it happened: The 2019 Mazda Mazda6 sports a new turbo engine. It is capable of generating 250 horses and 310 pound-feet of torque, making it an even stronger choice for a family sedan.
What's New for 2019?
Blind-spot monitoring, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, and adaptive cruise control come standard. Also, you will get access to G-Vectoring Control Plus, which is Mazda's effort to make cornering better. The six-speed manual transmission is no longer available, but you can now access the brand-new top-tier Grand Touring Reserve trim for more features.
Great Exterior and Aesthetic
Indeed, the 2019 Mazda Mazda6 is fantastic to look at, even compared outside of its segment. It comes with unmistakable road presence, sitting on 17-inch wheels that come with the base trim. It doesn't take much to leap over to the 19s, either.
The shape of the body still looks organic, like it is ready to flow in the wind with great simplicity. It is a unique style that we simply have not seen by other auto companies. Inside, the cabin could use a little more lighting, but sunlight will not struggle to get through thanks to the low dash.
Nothing but Fun Behind the Wheel of a Mazda6
Although the 2019 Mazda6 is not the most efficient sedan on the market, it does have some of the best handling. With the help of electronic systems and a sharp suspension, the 6 neatly rounds corners.
The steering doesn't match the handling entirely, but the brakes and throttle work together to compensate. It's a great trick that runs in the background that you will hardly notice. Unfortunately, you will notice some extra cabin noise.
Impressive Turbo-4 Engine
Mazda transplanted the engine from its own CX-9 into the Mazda6. Capable of generating 250 turbo horses, the 2.5L four-cylinder engine boasts plenty of power for drivers seeking a family sedan. Die-hard enthusiasts may grieve the absence of the manual, but the automatic is strong.
The rise of smaller four-cylinder turbo engines instead of six-cylinders may generally be a trend, but Mazda's choice was perfect for the 6. Why? Now there's already a mountain of torque available right from the start, which helps for family weekend trips.
Turbo lag is typical for family sedans, which means a delay in power before getting peak output. However, Mazda's new choice of engine virtually eliminates this lag with access to more power than ever before. If it weren't for the roar of the engine, it would be easy to mistake it for a beefier one.
What's the Fuel Economy of the Mazda6 Like?
Both of the four-cylinders available for the 6 come with competitive EPA ratings. In testing, the base Sport and Touring trims sustain 35 mpg on the highway. The rest of the trims lose 4 mpg, but they're still rated for over 30 mpg on the highway.
More Standard Safety Features
A midsize sedan, the 2019 Mazda6 by Mazda comes with more standard safety features compared to the 2018, 2017, and 2016 models.
Even at the base trim, you will find plenty of new features that meet or exceed what you'd find with class competitors. No matter your choice of trim, you'll now get the i-Activsense suite of features for free. In previous years, the package cost hundreds at the base trim.
The package comes with lane departure warning to notify drivers of unintentional drift, adaptive cruise control, automatic braking systems, and the ability to rely on stop-and-go tech while driving in city traffic. Also, you will get rear cross-traffic alert with a standard blind spot monitor.
As previously mentioned, the G-Vectoring Control Plus is now standard tech, too. Besides helping with steering and handling, the Control Plus system provides selective braking to lend a hand further to control.
Long List of Creature Comforts
It may have been years since the Mazda6 vehicle was redesigned, but thanks to forward-compatible style, it only needed select updates to stay fresh for 2019. Some of the finer details include an update to the central cluster, like the inclusion of analog gauges. The HVAC panel and center stacks also add to the clean interior design.
As far as space is concerned, there is enough room for five adult passengers and all the things they want to bring for the weekend. With dual-zone climate control, a premium Bose sound system, and heated/cooled front seats, everyone is sure to enjoy the view for the entire ride.
Although Mazda has not changed the core design much, the company provides plenty of excellent services with its sedan. Even though the plan starts to feel a little long in the tooth after several years, it is still a grand choice for 2019.
If you're tired of the flood of crossover SUVs at the dealer, then the 2019 Mazda Mazda6 could be the one for you. In particular, if safety, reliability, fuel efficiency, fun driving dynamics, and exterior style matter to you, then so too will the 6.
If, on the other hand, you value greater-than-average cargo space, then your search continues. The Mazda6 only comes with 14.7 reserved cubes, near the low end of its class. If all-wheel drive is something you need, then the 6 may not work for you, either.
What's the Best Trim, If Any?
Though the top-tier Signature trim comes with some of the most features for the midsize sedan segment, it does come at a serious expense. With that in mind, the Grand Touring Reserve Mazda6 will check most drivers' boxes. Here, you get the climate-controlled seats, the Bose system, and all the essential front and side safety features.
The 2019 Mazda6 is more than a midsize sedan; it is a family's powerhouse with style that can pass as luxury. Likewise, the unique chassis offers a stronger driving experience that you usually don't find outside the high-end sports sedan segment.
In combination, these features result in upscale dynamics at a price point that most families can afford. Note, though, instead of providing individual options, Mazda requires buyers to go up the trim ladder for new features. It may not be the thriftiest vehicle on the market, but the 2019 Mazda Mazda6 does offer lots of value for its price.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mazda Mazda6
- Beautiful exterior
- Fuel economy competes strongly
- Entertaining behind-the-wheel action
- Good results on safety tests
- Inexpensive for the segment
- Noise suppression and comfort aren't as good as its competitors
- Higher trims and features quickly add up
- Base trim lacks smartphone integration
First introduced in 2003, the Mazda6 cars replaced Mazda's Millenia and 626 fleets. The sporty design coupled with a wide range of options and features helped the Mazda6 gain great popularity.
The following year, Mazda introduced the wagon and hatchback styles and made small changes to the options packages. Later, the model gained new front and rear fascias as well as other exterior upgrades.
Though the most recent car model is beginning to show its age, the Mazda Mazda6 still graces with its high-class style and extensive features.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mazda Mazda6
- Body Style
- SKYACTIV-G 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve I4
- 187 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic SKYACTIV-Drive
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: SKYACTIV-G 2.5L DOHC 16-Valve I4 -inc: cylinder deactivation
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic SKYACTIV-Drive -inc: manual-shift mode and sport mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 3.81 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 100 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5" Aluminum Alloy -inc: Gun metallic finish
- Tires: P225/55R17 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Regular Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM/HD -inc: 6-speaker sound system, 8.0" full-color touch-screen display (navigation system), audio menu voice-command, auxiliary-audio input jack, Bluetooth hands free phone and audio, speed sensing volume control and 2 USB audio inputs, MAZDA CONNECT Infotainment System Voice Command, Radio Broadcast Data System program information, Aha, Pandora, Stitcher internet radio integration, SMS text message audio delivery and reply and E911 automatic emergency notification
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Reclining Front Sport Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver's seat w/manual lumbar support, drivers seat w/manual height adjustment and 6-way manual front passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Vinyl Console Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Integration
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Engine Immobilizer
- 1 12V DC Power Outlet
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- MAZDA CONNECT Emergency Sos
- Blind Spot Monitoring System (BSM) Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision Mitigation and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera