Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Handsome exterior styling
- Impressive driving dynamics
- Interior materials rival premium brands
Mazda CX-5: Everything You Need to Know
About the Mazda CX-5:
The Mazda CX-5 is a five-passenger compact crossover SUV. The CX-5 is designed to sit above the subcompact CX-3 and beneath the midsize CX-9 in Mazda’s SUV lineup.
Shoppers looking for a safe, reliable family vehicle that happens to look and drive a step above its competitors, will find the Mazda CX-5 a compelling choice.
What’s New in the 2019 Mazda CX-5?
The CX-5 received a major redesign in 2017, so changes for 2019 are not extensive. Two new trim levels are added: Grand Touring Reserve and Signature.
The 2019 CX-5 gets these additional updates:
- Standard active torque vectoring
- New 2.5-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine
- New 2.2-liter four-cylinder diesel engine
- New interior colors and materials
- Available smartphone integration
- Available 7.0-inch driver information display
The 2019 CX-5 is front-wheel drive with all-wheel drive available on higher trim levels. The following engines are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission:
- Standard 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine: 187 horsepower and 186 pound-feet of torque.
- Newly available turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine: 250 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque.
- New 2.2-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel: 168 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque.
What Does the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Compete With?
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 competes with the following vehicles:
- Chevrolet Equinox
- Ford Escape
- Honda CR-V
- Hyundai Tucson
- Jeep Cherokee
- Kia Sportage
- Nissan Rogue
- Subaru Forester
- Toyota RAV4
Compact crossovers are plentiful. And as the segment grows, competition becomes even tighter. This benefits consumers who can shop for a vehicle that checks all the boxes in terms of pampering, practicality, performance, and price.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Mazda CX-5
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 offers a sleek but understated exterior design. However, the Mazda CX-5 comes in vibrant colors to provide an extra “pop.”
The CX-5 features the brand’s black mesh grille pattern. The signature look is framed with a liquid silver metallic piece that appears to cut into the headlight housing. This detail creates a wide, attractive front fascia.
Seventeen-inch alloy wheels are standard on Sport and Touring models. All other CX-5 trims receive new 19-inch alloy wheels in either a bright or dark silver finish.
LED headlights are standard, but only Grand Touring and above feature LED daytime running lights, fog lights, and taillights. All 2019 CX-5s come equipped with a shark fin-style antenna, as well as a low-profile rear spoiler for a sportier look. The new Signature trim also receives exclusive badging, as does the diesel-equipped model.
Interior Style in the 2019 Mazda CX-5
The 2019 CX-5 provides a comfortable, understated cabin. Keyless entry with push-button start is standard. A rotary controller allows multifunctional access to the Mazda Connect infotainment system. Or occupants can use the 7.0-inch touchscreen directly. Keep in mind that some functions, like navigation, will be locked when the vehicle is in motion.
The entry-level CX-5 Sport comes with cloth seats. Touring models receive a leatherette-and-suede combo, while Grand Touring and above enjoy leather upholstery. The base model gets manual-adjustable seats. Touring and above receive a power-adjustable driver’s seat. Front passengers get power-operated seats starting with the Grand Touring. Additional features are reserved for the top-trim Signature, including: Nappa leather seats, genuine wood trim, a suede-like headliner, ambient lighting, and satin chrome door handles and switches.
Additional interior amenities include:
- Heated and ventilated front seats.
- Heated rear seats.
- Heated steering wheel.
- Frameless rearview mirror.
- LED illumination.
- Dual-zone climate control.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Mazda CX-5?
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 receives minimal updates to infotainment and connectivity features. Updates include:
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link.
- Reconfigurable 7.0-inch driver information display.
- Power-folding outside mirrors.
Standard technology on the 2019 CX-5 includes:
- 7.0-inch multimedia touchscreen
- Mazda Connect infotainment system
- AM/FM/HD Radio
- Multi-function commander control
- Two USB ports (up to four available)
The base CX-5 Sport comes with a four-speaker audio system. The CX-5 Touring receives a six-speaker system or can be optioned with Bose ten-speaker surround sound. This premium audio system is standard starting with the Grand Touring trim.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Mazda CX-5?
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 earned a NHTSA top score of five stars in overall crash worthiness for front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models. The CX-5 also earned the highest possible IIHS rating of Top Safety Pick+.
New safety features on the 2019 Mazda CX-5 include:
- Available 360-degree camera view.
- Available active driving display with traffic sign recognition.
Mazda’s suite of advanced safety is called i-Activsense. For the 2019 CX-5, i-Activsense includes:
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Hill launch assist
- Automatic emergency front braking
- Available forward collision warning
- Available lane departure warning
- Available lane keep assist
- Available adaptive cruise control with stop/go function
- Available adaptive front lighting
What is the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Like to Drive?
The Mazda CX-5 is the dynamics champ within the mid-size crossover segment. And those looking for comfort and practicality over corning and performance will not be disappointed. The CX-5’s driving manners are supple and straight-forward. The suspension absorbs bumps for a relaxing ride. But with standard active torque vectoring and an available turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, the CX-5 makes the long way home all the more enticing.
Available only on the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature, the turbo 2.5-liter produces 227 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. Horsepower rises to 250 when fueling with premium (93 octane) gas. Otherwise, Mazda CX-5 models operate just fine on regular (87 octane) fuel.
The standard 2.5-liter engine is no underperformer. With 187 horsepower and 186 pound-feet of torque, the CX-5 remains on the high-end of the power scale of midsize CUVs.
A new 2.2-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel engine was unveiled in April 2019. Its 290 pound-feet of torque is a jump over the base engine, but its 168 horsepower is underwhelming. The 2019 CX-5 diesel with all-wheel drive also disappoints in fuel economy. Although yet to be EPA tested, Mazda’s internal numbers are 27 city, 30 highway, and 28 combined mpg. This is less than the gasoline-powered 2019 Subaru Forester, which offers 26/33/29 mpg.
Within the lineup, the non-diesel Mazda CX-5 offers fuel efficiency on par with the rest of its class. Base engine-equipped models are EPA rated at 25 city, 31 highway, and 28 combined mpg for front-wheel drive and 24/30/26 mpg for all-wheel drive. The turbocharged 2.5-liter, which only is available with all-wheel drive, returns an estimated 22/27/24 mpg.
Should I Buy a 2019 Mazda CX-5?
The Mazda CX-5 is a strong seller for the brand. However, compared to the Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, and Toyota RAV-4, the CX-5 takes a relatively small piece of the crossover sales pie.
But the 2019 CX-5 is a smart buy. Unless you need all the fancies that come with the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature, the CX-5 can be a solid sub-$35,000 purchase. Check all the boxes, though, and the CX-5 climbs above the $40,000 mark.
Should I buy a Used Mazda CX-5? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The styling of first-generation Mazda CX-5 remains fresh, and dynamics were never lackluster. There should be a fair amount of used CX-5 vehicles available as buyers either outgrow the compact segment or look to downsize.
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 is only a mild update, so shopping for a 2017 or 2018 model year will still offer the redesigned looks and amenities, but be more gently-used than a previous generation vehicle. Shoppers desiring a rare bird can look for a pre-2017 CX-5 Sport. Only these first-gen models were available with a manual transmission.
How Much Does the 2019 Mazda CX-5 Cost?
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 starts at $24,350. Front-wheel drive comes with Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring models. Opting for all-wheel drive costs an extra $1,400. The CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve starts at $34,870 and the Signature starts at $36,890. These trims are equipped with all-wheel drive. The diesel engine is offered only on the Mazda CX-5 Signature and starts at $41,000. Destination charges are an extra $1,045.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Mazda CX-5
- Best-in-class exterior design
- Luxury interior materials
- Precision dynamics and handling
- Responsive driving manners
- Infotainment feels outdated
- Coveted amenities only on higher trims
- Premium pricing for a non-premium brand
- Underperforming diesel engine
The History of Mazda CX-5: Seven Years of CX-5
The Mazda CX-5 began as the Minagi concept car which debuted at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show. The CX-5 went into production the following year as a replacement for two outgoing SUVs: the body-on-frame Tribute and slow-selling CX-7.
The Mazda CX-5 is the first production vehicle to showcase the automaker’s Kodo design language and Skyactiv Technology suite of efficient vehicle systems. The CX-5 is currently in its second generation. Sold worldwide, it is built in Hiroshima, Japan, for the North American region.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Mazda CX-5
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder
- 187 hp
- 6-Speed SKYACTIV-Drive Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- MAZDA CONNECT Infotainment System -inc: Infotainment System Voice Command, E911 Automatic Emergency Notification, Stitcher Internet Radio Integration, SMS Text Msg Audio Delivery & Reply, Radio Broadcast Data System Program Information, Aha Internet Radio, Pandora Internet Radio
- Engine: 2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder -inc: cylinder deactivation
- Transmission: 6-Speed SKYACTIV-Drive Automatic -inc: manual-shift mode and sport mode
- 4.325 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,575 lbs
- Transmission w/Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 100 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 14.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7J Gray Metallic Alloy
- Tires: P225/65R17 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/HD Audio System -inc: 7" full-color touch-screen display, 4-speakers, digital clock, audio menu voice-command, auxiliary audio input jack, Bluetooth hands free phone and audio, multi-function commander control and 2 USB audio inputs, Infotainment System Voice Command, E911 Automatic Emergency Notification, Stitcher Internet Radio Integration, SMS Text Msg Audio Delivery & Reply, Radio Broadcast Data System Program Information, Aha Internet Radio, Pandora Internet Radio
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Fixed Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Sport Front Seats -inc: 6-way manual driver's seat and 4-way manual passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Cargo Access and Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Integration
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Emergency Sos
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) Blind Spot Sensor
- Forward Collision Mitigation and Rear Collision Warning
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera