Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Quiet cabin
- Optional turbocharged V6 engine
- Comfortable ride
- Upscale materials
- Good value for the money
2018 Lincoln MKX: Everything You Need to Know
About the 2018 Lincoln MKX:
The Lincoln MKX is a two-row, five-passenger midsize SUV from Ford’s luxury division. The MKX midsize crossover launched in 2007. Lincoln replaced the MKX with the Nautilus for model year 2019.
The MKX fills the gap between the compact MKC and full-size Navigator. It’s the upscale version of the Ford Edge.
What’s New in the 2018 Lincoln MKX?
The MKX is discontinued after 2018, so there are no new features for this year. The MKX comes in four trims: Premiere, Select, Reserve, and Black Label. These range in price from $39,035 to $54,230.
All MKX models have a six-speed automatic transmission and a 3.7-liter Cyclone V6 with 303 horsepower. Front wheel drive is standard. All-wheel-drive and a turbocharged 2.7-liter Ecoboost V6 are optional on all trims. The V6 offers 335 horsepower for added punch.
What Does the 2018 Lincoln MKX Compete With?
The 2018 Lincoln MKX’s top competitors include:
The Lincoln MKX offers fewer standard features than most rivals but boasts a lower starting price.
Exterior Design of the 2018 Lincoln MKX
The 2018 Lincoln MKX broadcasts a bold stance and prominent grille. Its body showcases flowing lines highlighting elegant curves.
The SUV also gets chrome exhaust tips, body-colored door handles, and a rear spoiler. All trims except for the base model sport LED headlights and fog lights.
The MKX comes standard with 18-inch aluminum wheels and 20-inch wheels are offered. Larger tires look good but may compromises the ride.
Interior Style in the 2018 Lincoln MKX
The two-row Lincoln MKX seats five passengers. All models have leatherette upholstery, power heated front seats with memory settings.
The cabin feels roomy, with ample head-and legroom for adult passengers. It is notably quiet and well-insulated from road and wind noise. There are plenty of cupholders, multiple USB outlets, and a family-friendly feel. The power-folding back seats recline and fold with a 60/40 split for added utility. Dual-zone automatic climate control with rear controls is standard.
All models have a leather-wrapped, hand-stitched steering wheel. The Select, Reserve, and Black Label trims come with a power-adjustable steering wheel. The cabin has many storage options. These include a deep covered center console, front and rear cupholders, door and seat pockets, and a grocery bag hook in the trunk.
The tall roof and large door openings provide easy ingress and egress. A wide A-pillar compromises visibility, especially for shorter drivers. The narrow rear window also can cause problems. The offered panoramic sunroof cuts significantly into head room. There’s excellent front and rear legroom though.
The Lincoln MKX features 27.2 cubic feet of cargo. With the rear seats down, this jumps to 68.8 cubic feet, plenty of room for a host of possessions.
Customers can order special appearance packages on the MKZ. These include the “Thoroughbred,” “Modern Heritage”, and “Indulgence.”
Technology: What Technology Comes in the 2018 Lincoln MKX?
The Lincoln MKX includes the Sync 3 infotainment system. The screen is an 8-inch touch supporting Bluetooth, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. A CD player, satellite radio, a 10-speaker audio system, and two USB ports complete the tech package.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2018 Lincoln MKX?
The 2018 Lincoln MKX has fundamental safety features such as electronic stability control, brake assist, and LATCH child seat anchors. A rearview camera, parking sensors, and MyKey are standard. MyKey lets you set the speed limit, audio volume limits, and monitors driving patterns.
The MKX standard equipment lacks sophisticated safety features such as blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, and cross traffic alert. These are all standard on the 2019 Nautilus but require upgrading on the MKX.
The 2017 Lincoln MKX, exactly the same as the 2018 version, received the 2017 Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This only applies to vehicles with optional front crash prevention.
The 2018 Lincoln MKX with AWD received a five-star frontal and side crash rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This is the highest rating available.
What is the 2018 Lincoln MKX like to drive?
The 2018 Lincoln MKX comes equipped with a powerful 3.7-liter V-6 engine delivering 303 horsepower. A turbocharged 2.7-liter V6 with 335 horses is available as an option on all trims.
Both engines are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is offered. The MKX’s intelligent all-wheel-drive system uses sensors to monitor traction and deliver torque to front and rear wheels to enhance grip.
There are multiple settings for the transmission. The “Sport” mode tightens the electronic power steering, suspension, and shift points for a more dynamic drive.
The MKX provides a smooth, quiet ride with decent power and acceleration. Active noise canceling technology prevents road noise in the cabin. The vehicle rides well with minimal body roll.
When properly equipped, it can tow up to 3,500 pounds. However, low ground clearance and no locking differential means the MKX is not ideal for athletic off-road conditions. The MKX also lacks hill start and downhill assist.
The fuel economy of the MKX is competitive. The EPA rates the 3.7-liter Cyclone V6 at 17/24 MPG city/highway. The Ecoboost 2.7-liter turbocharged is more efficient at 18/25 for front-wheel-drive. All-wheel-drive drops fuel economy down to 17/25 MPG.
Should I Buy a 2018 Lincoln MKX?
The 2018 Lincoln MKX is the last of the model year, so good deals on leftover inventory are available. Upgrading the Select trim with Select Plus adds blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, and navigation. In cold weather climes, look for the Climate package. This adds a heated steering wheel, automatic windshield wipers and high beams, and heated rear seats.
The Driver Assistance package offers key safety features worth upgrading for. These include lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, adaptive steering, forward collision warning, and pedestrian detection.
Should I Buy a Used Lincoln MKX? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The MKX received a complete redesign for the 2016 model year. But the infotainment was further upgraded in 2017 version to Sync 3. This included an upgrade to standard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The 2017 MKX is a better deal than the 2018, which is exactly the same vehicle.
How Much Does the 2018 Lincoln MKX Cost?
The 2018 Lincoln MKX starts at $39,035 for the Premiere. That’s less than many of its competitors in the luxury midsize segment. All-wheel-drive adds $2,495. Upgrading to the 2.7L turbocharged V6 costs $2,000 on all trims.
The mid-grade MKX Select trim begins at $42,550. It has leather upholstery, a heated steering wheel, dual-zone climate control, and a hands-free power liftgate.
The Reserve trim starts at $46,560. It adds a host of features including wood interior trim, cooled front seats, 20-inch alloy wheels, and a panoramic glass roof.
The top-of-the-line Black Label starts at $54,230. This trim provides embroidered Venetian leather upholstery and Revel Ultima premium audio.
Pros and Cons of the 2018 Lincoln MKX
- Quiet cabin
- Lower starting price than competitors
- Comfortable seats
- Smooth acceleration
- Low ground clearance
- Cabin not as upscale as rivals
- Engine can feel underpowered
- Infotainment can be slow
The History of the Lincoln MKX: 11 years of the Lincoln MKX
Lincoln launched the MKX in 2007 and discontinued production in 2018. The MKX was the brand’s first crossover. Despite the popularity of crossovers in today’s market, sales of the MKX peaked in 2007 at 37,953. Current sales levels are around 28,500-31,000 units annually according to Ford.
The MKX is built in Canada on the same platform as its counterpart from Lincoln’s sister brand, the Ford Edge.
Specs & Key Features of the 2018 Lincoln MKX
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.7L Ti-VCT V6
- 303 - 335 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic w/SelectShift
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LED Lights
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.7L Ti-VCT V6
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/SelectShift
- Axle Ratio: 3.39
- GVWR: 5,440 lbs Payload Package
- 50 State Emission System
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 72-Amp/Hr 650CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 175 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Adaptive Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 18 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" Painted Aluminum
- Tires: P245/60R18 AS BSW H-Rated
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Bodyside Insert and Black Bodyside Cladding
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Driver Auto Dimming, Convex Spotter, Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Metal-Look Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam High Intensity Low/High Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/Single CD -inc: 10 speakers, subwoofer, SiriusXM radio (48 contiguous states), a 6-month prepaid subscription, Service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii SiriusXM audio and data services each require a subscription sold separately, or as a package, by Sirius XM Radio Inc. If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call SiriusXM at 1-866-635-2349. See SiriusXM Customer Agreement for complete terms at www.siriusxm.com. Subject to change.
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Digital Signal Processor
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- SYNC 3 -inc: enhanced voice recognition communications and entertainment system, 8" LCD capacitive touchscreen in center stack w/swipe capability, AppLink, 911 Assist, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and 2 smart charging USB ports
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- Leatherette Front Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Leatherette Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Voice Activated Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning w/Steering Wheel Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert, Aluminum Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert, Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Heated Lincoln Soft-Touch Front Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power driver and passenger seat w/2-way power lumbar, driver side memory and front row 4-way manual adjustable head restraints
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet And Rubber Mat
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Memory Settings -inc: Door Mirrors
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Remote Engine Start
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Securilock Anti-Theft Ignition (pats) Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- AdvanceTrac w/RSC Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Rear Parking Sensors
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Safety Canopy System Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag
- Mykey System -inc: Top Speed Limiter, Audio Volume Limiter, Early Low Fuel Warning, Programmable Sound Chimes and Beltminder w/Audio Mute
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera