Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Distinctive exterior design
- Available with gas-only and hybrid powertrains
- Impressive fuel economy
- Broad, appealing range of standard features
Lexus UX: Everything You Need to Know
About the Model:
The Lexus UX is a subcompact crossover SUV with stylish exterior design and lively driving dynamics. This luxury crossover competes with models from brands like BMW and Mercedes-Benz, and it costs less than many of its rivals.
The Lexus’ UX provides seating for five passengers, and it comes with either a gas-only (UX 200) or hybrid (UX 250h) powertrain. The hybrid UX 250h is notable for its excellent fuel economy.
The pool of small luxury crossovers is packed with attractive candidates. But the chic appearance and relatively accessible pricing of the Lexus UX give it an edge in this competitive segment.
What’s New in the 2019 Lexus UX?
The Lexus UX is new to the market for the 2019 model year. Whether you select the gas-only or hybrid version, the UX is sold in three trim levels:
- The base trim is dressed to impress with amenities such as LED headlights and dual-zone automatic climate control.
- Next up is the performance-themed F Sport, which adds features like a sport-tuned suspension.
- As its name suggests, the Luxury trim is for those seeking the most premium amenities. It includes features like a hands-free liftgate and memory functions for the driver’s seat.
The 2019 UX 200 comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that provides 169 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. This engine is teamed with a ten-speed direct-shift continuously variable transmission. All UX 200 models are front-wheel drive.
With the UX 250h, a four-cylinder engine joins forces with electric motors to generate a total output of 181 horsepower. An electronically controlled continuously variable transmission governs the proceedings. All-wheel drive is standard on all UX 250h hybrids.
What Does the 2019 Lexus UX Compete With?
The 2019 Lexus UX is often cross-shopped against these small luxury SUVs:
This vehicle class expands its ranks with each passing year. The UX is the latest arrival in a strong field of candidates.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Lexus UX
Fashionable exterior design is one of the 2019 UX’s key assets. This isn’t the kind of SUV that’s likely to blend into the background on a busy street or in a crowded parking lot.
The UX’s front fascia is anchored by the spindle grille that has become a Lexus signature. Angled headlights give this SUV an aggressive look. The UX resembles a coupe in profile, thanks to its relatively short roofline. Overall, this vehicle’s sheet metal is bold and athletic.
Base models ride on 18-inch wheels and come with heated side mirrors. Standard aluminum roof rails provide utility and add an outdoorsy vibe.
You can add a sunroof and rain-sensing windshield wipers by upgrading with the Premium package. The F Sport trim brings in LED fog lights. With the top Luxury trim, you get a hands-free liftgate and auto-dimming side mirrors.
Interior Style in the 2019 Lexus UX
The UX’s cabin is just as visually appealing as its exterior. Front-row passengers are encircled by a swooping dashboard. The center stack is angled toward the driver, and it’s topped by a floating touchscreen. The materials used throughout the interior are of impeccable quality.
In the front row, the UX is spacious enough to seat passengers of all sizes comfortably. But second-row legroom will be tight for those with longer limbs.
The UX 200 provides 21.7 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in place, which is about average for the segment. With the UX 250h hybrid, cargo space falls to 17.1 cubic feet due to intrusion from the battery pack.
Base models are equipped with power-adjustable front seats. A folding rear seatback provides additional room for cargo. Upscale options like a heated steering wheel and heated and ventilated front seats are available.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Lexus UX?
The range of tech features offered with Lexus UX is impressive. All models come with Apple CarPlay smartphone integration, which allows you to sync your Apple device easily. A Wi-Fi hotspot is also standard, so your passengers can remain connected on the road. Additionally, all UX crossovers are equipped with features like Bluetooth connectivity and satellite radio.
Unfortunately, the UX loses points for its standard infotainment interface. The system relies on a touchpad controller, and this can be tricky to work with. We found that it has the potential to create driver distraction.
Optional equipment includes an integrated navigation system and a wireless device charger. However, Android Auto smartphone integration isn’t available.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Lexus UX?
Lexus has equipped the 2019 UX with the active safety features modern drivers expect in this class of vehicle. Base models come with the Lexus Safety System+ 2.0. This bundle of amenities includes a lane-departure warning system with steering assist that’s designed to keep the UX centered in its lane.
A forward-collision warning system with pedestrian detection is also standard. This technology will hit the brakes to avoid a collision with an object or pedestrian. The UX’s list of standard features also includes automatic high beams and adaptive cruise control.
Options include parking sensors and a blind-spot warning system.
What Is the 2019 Lexus UX Like to Drive?
The 2019 Lexus UX’s driving dynamics are sprightly and entertaining. The suspension system provides a smooth ride without making the cabin feel too isolated from the road. The engine under the hood of our UX 200 test vehicle offered all the power needed to handle highway driving. Keep in mind, though, that certain rivals in this category come with more muscular powerplants.
Its petite dimensions make the UX a great choice for city dwellers. This SUV is small enough to navigate cramped roadways and crowded parking lots with ease.
The UX 250h’s fuel economy is exceptional. It achieves gas mileage of up to 43/41 mpg in city/highway driving. With the UX 200, mileage comes in at a respectable 29/37 mpg.
Should I Buy a New Lexus UX?
The 2019 Lexus UX has a lot working in it favor. Its distinctive sheet metal makes it an instant standout, and its cabin creates a deluxe environment for passengers. It’s also one of the least expensive picks in its segment.
Overall, the UX offers good value for shoppers seeking a small luxury SUV that ranks highly when it comes to style.
Should I Buy a Used Lexus UX? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
This is the Lexus UX’s first year of production. Still, there are some used models already on the market. Thanks to depreciation, a used UX crossover is a great bargain. Check with your local Lexus dealer for availability.
How Much Does the New Lexus UX Cost?
The 2019 Lexus UX 200 has a base price of $33,025. The UX 250h hybrid kicks off at $35,025. Prices include a destination charge of $1,025. This gives the Lexus UX a much lower starting price than rivals like the Jaguar E-Pace and BMW X1.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Lexus UX
- Hybrid variant offers excellent fuel economy
- Long list of standard driver-assistance features
- Bold exterior design
- Gorgeous cabin
- Agile driving dynamics
- Android Auto smartphone integration isn’t available
- Standard touchpad controller can be finicky and distracting
- Rival models have more powerful engines
- Rear-seat legroom is limited for taller passengers
The History of the Lexus UX
Lexus debuted the UX crossover SUV at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show and brought it to market for the 2019 model year. According to Lexus, the name is meant to stand for Urban Explorer.
The UX is the smallest SUV in the Lexus fleet. And its size, along with its extroverted design and relatively accessible pricing, help aim this model at younger car shoppers. It’s also intended to appeal to urban dwellers and suburbanites looking for a combination of luxury and utility in an easily maneuverable package.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Lexus UX
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L 16V DOHC 4-Cylinder w/VVT-i
- 169 hp
- 10-Speed Direct Shift CVT
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Wifi Hotspot
- Engine: 2.0L 16V DOHC 4-Cylinder w/VVT-i
- Transmission: 10-Speed Direct Shift CVT
- 4.014 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,410 lbs (2,000 kgs)
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 12.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" x 7J 5-Spk Dark Gray Met Alum Alloy -inc: machined finish
- Tires: 225/50RF18 All-Season Run-Flat
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Fender Flares
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Composite Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Lexus Multimedia System w/6 Speakers -inc: Apple CarPlay, Lexus Enform, 4GB WiFi hotspot, dynamic voice recognition and SiriusXM satellite radio
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Enform App Suite 2.0 Real-Time Traffic Display
- Power Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power adjustable driver and passenger seats
- Front Seats w/Leatherette Back Material and Power 2-Way Driver Lumbar
- Driver Seat -inc: Power 2-Way Lumbar Support
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- NuLuxe Seat Surfaces
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Folding Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Enform Safety Connect Tracker System
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Fixed Front Head Restraints and Manual Foldable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Pre-Collision System (PCS)
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera