Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Refined handling
- Gas-only and hybrid options
- Excellent fuel economy from hybrid variant
- Long list of standard features
Lexus RX: Everything You Need to Know
About the Model:
The 2019 Lexus RX is a luxury SUV that stands out for its smooth ride quality and plush cabin. It’s available with standard and extended wheelbases. With a standard wheelbase, the RX seats five, and models with the extended wheelbase seat seven.
This midsize SUV is available with either a gas-only or a hybrid powertrain. The gas-only model is known as the RX 350, while the hybrid is known as the RX 450h. The RX 450h is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a luxury SUV that offers superb fuel economy.
Front-wheel drive is standard. Optional all-wheel drive provides the RX with more secure handling in rain and snow.
The luxury SUV segment is full of strong choices. The Lexus RX will appeal to those who appreciate deluxe comfort.
What’s New in the 2019 Lexus RX?
For the 2019 model year, the RX comes in base and F Sport trim levels. There’s also an L trim that refers to models with the extended wheelbase.
The RX gets the following upgrades for 2019:
- Intuitive Parking Assist is no longer a standalone option.
- The Lexus Enform Remote app has been added to the RX’s list of options. This feature includes smart watch and Amazon Alexa skill integration. Lexus still doesn’t have Android Auto.
What Does the 2019 Lexus RX Compete With?
The Lexus RX’s rivals in the luxury SUV class include:
These are all excellent choices, but the RX has something to offer for shoppers who have a fondness for Lexus-style luxury.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Lexus RX
Previous RX models played it safe with their exterior design. The current version is a lot more flamboyant. A striking spindle-shaped grille dominates the RX’s front fascia. It sits between slim, upswept headlights. The RX’s profile looks fluid and dynamic, with a high beltline and deep sculpting on the side panels.
Standard LED headlights brighten the path ahead. Also, all models are equipped with rain-sensing windshield wipers and a power liftgate. The options list includes a hands-free liftgate and a power sunroof.
Interior Style in the 2019 Lexus RX
The RX’s cabin can be summed up in one word: plush. The design is dramatic, with a chiseled dash and a center stack whose lines curve toward the driver. The materials used are of premium quality.
We found the RX’s front seats exceedingly comfortable. There was good legroom in both rows of the five-passenger model we tested. All models come with power-adjustable front seats. Also, the steering column can be tilted and angled to help you find a comfortable position behind the wheel.
With all seats in place, the standard-wheelbase RX provides up to 18.4 cubic feet of cargo space. There’s up to 56.3 cubic feet of room for your stuff with the second row folded. These figures will certainly be adequate for many shoppers. But some two-row midsize SUVs in this segment, like the Porsche Cayenne, offer more cargo space.
With the extended wheelbase, the RX provides 16.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row and 23 cubic feet behind the second. With the second and third rows folded, there’s 58.5 cubic feet of cargo space available.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Lexus RX?
The 2019 Lexus RX comes with an up-to-date range of tech amenities. Base models are equipped with Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free phone calls. A nine-speaker stereo is also standard, along with a Scout GPS Link navigation system that can be integrated with your smartphone.
With the optional Navigation package, you get an integrated navigation system with a 12.3-inch split-screen multimedia display. This package also brings in a premium 12-speaker sound system, as well as the Lexus Enform Remote app with Amazon Alexa compatibility.
A 15-speaker Mark Levinson stereo is also available. The Lexus RX does not support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto at this time.
We’re not crazy about the RX’s optional Remote Touch interface. Due to its overly sensitive touchpad, we found this system unnecessarily distracting. Rival models offer interfaces that are far more user-friendly.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Lexus RX?
Lexus’ RX offers a comprehensive range of standard and available active safety features. Base models come with a rearview camera. A forward collision mitigation system with pedestrian detection is also standard. This system is able to detect if a collision with an object or pedestrian is imminent, applying the brakes to prevent this from happening.
Additionally, adaptive cruise control is included in the list of standard amenities. You can use this feature to maintain a set distance between the vehicle that precedes you on the freeway. All models also come with automatic high beams and lane-departure warning with lane-keeping assistance.
When it comes to optional equipment, blind-spot monitoring is available. This system can help you change lanes more safely. The RX is available with options such as a surround-view camera, rear cross-traffic alert and front and rear parking sensors.
What Is the 2019 Lexus RX Like to Drive?
The Lexus RX provides smooth, quiet performance. There’s little road noise to speak of, and its cabin remains tranquil even at highway speeds. As with many vehicles that wear the Lexus badge, comfort is the name of the game when it comes to overall handling. This SUV remains poised even on harsh road surfaces, and its suspension keeps most jolts and bumps out of the cabin. Keep in mind, though, some rivals offer sportier driving dynamics.
Lexus’ RX comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6. This powerplant provides 295 horsepower, and it’s matched with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Both front-wheel drive and all-wheel are offered.
With the 450h hybrid, this V6 is teamed with a trio of electric motors for a net output of 308 horsepower. This powerplant is wed to a continuously variable transmission. Hybrids come solely with all-wheel drive.
The RX is an excellent choice for shoppers who care about fuel economy. With the 450h, mileage tops out at 31/28 mpg city/highway.
Should I Buy a New Lexus RX?
If you’re looking for a luxury SUV that offers refinement and comfort, the Lexus RX deserves to be on your radar. With both two-row and three-row variants available, it provides roominess and versatility. Hybrid models offer superb fuel economy.
Also, the RX has a lower starting price than many of its rivals. When you consider its long list of standard features, this SUV offers lots of bang for the buck.
Should I Buy a Used Lexus RX? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
You can get an even better deal on the RX by purchasing a used model. This SUV was last redesigned in 2016. This overhaul brought in more horsepower, and the suspension was tweaked to deliver improved handling. Choose a 2016 or newer model to enjoy these benefits.
How Much Does the New Lexus RX Cost?
The 2019 RX 350 has a starting price of $43,820. This makes it at least 10 grand less expensive than rivals like the Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne and Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class. With the RX 450h, pricing starts at $46,245.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Lexus RX
- Stellar fuel economy from the 450h
- Smooth handling
- Deluxe cabin
- Bold exterior design
- Relatively accessible base price
- Generous list of standard driver-assist features
- Mediocre cargo capacity
- Distracting Remote Touch interface
- Not as sporty as some rivals
- Does not support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay yet
The History of the Lexus RX
The Lexus RX made its U.S. debut back in 1999, and this model’s first generation won awards such as Motor Trend’s SUV of the Year. The RX entered its second generation with a 2004 redesign. Relative to its predecessor, this model featured a new five-speed automatic transmission and a more powerful V6. The RX’s third generation arrived with the 2010 model, which came with a six-speed automatic gearbox.
This SUV is currently in its fourth generation, which was launched in 2016. The 2019 model has won commendations such as Kelley Blue Book’s Best Resale Value award and U.S. News and World Report’s Best Luxury Two-Row SUV for the Money
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Lexus RX
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.5L V6 DOHC 24-Valve VVT-iW
- 295 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.5L V6 DOHC 24-Valve VVT-iW
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic -inc: Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT), smart stop technology and gated shifter
- 3.329 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 5,666 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Trailer Wiring Harness
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 19.2 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 18" Split-5-Spoke Alloy
- Tires: 235/65R18 M+S
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim, Black Front Windshield Trim and Black Rear Window Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Colored Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: AM/FM/CD -inc: 8-inch screen, 9-speaker premium audio system, Bluetooth hands free phone and automatic phonebook download capabilities, Scout GPS link app-based turn-by-turn directions, HD Radio (complimentary traffic and weather), SiriusXM satellite radio (complimentary 90-day trial subscription included), Siri Eyes Free, voice recognition, auxiliary mini jack, Lexus multimedia system w/touchscreen display, remote touchpad, Amazon Alexa compatibility, Android Auto, Apply CarPlay integration, voice command and 6 USB ports
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation and Radio Data System
- Audio Theft Deterrent
- Streaming Audio
- Concealed Diversity Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 10-way power driver's and front passenger's seat w/fore-aft slide, fore-aft recline, front vertical height, rear vertical height and power lumbar support
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- Driver Knee Airbag, Rear Side-Impact Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 40-20-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Enform Wi-Fi Mobile Hotspot Internet Access
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing w/Traffic Stop-Go
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- NuLuxe Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Roll-Up Cargo Cover
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows and Remote Engine Start
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- Enform Safety Connect Tracker System
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Lexus Enform w/Safety Connect Emergency Sos
- Lexus Safety System+
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera