Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Comfortable, luxury ride
- Good urban/suburban size vehicle
- Lexus reliability and durability
- Well-equipped standard features
- Now has Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa but lacks Android Auto
Lexus NX: Everything You Need to Know
About the Lexus NX:
The compact luxury Lexus NX slots above the UX and below the RX in Lexus’ showroom. The NX has four doors and comfortably seats five people with decent cargo space. It is appealing to smaller households. The NX size provides a luxury ownership experience without the family orientation of the RX.
The NX is equipped with a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine putting out 235 horsepower. It’s accompanied by a six-speed automatic transmission. The NX 300h hybrid comes with a 2.5-liter engine with electric motors achieving 31 mpg combined.
The NX is front-wheel drive with all-wheel drive as a $1,400 option. There are seven exterior colors to choose from and six interior color options, a wider range than a lot of other vehicles.
The NX is imported from Japan for the U.S. and Canadian marketplace.
What’s New in the Current 2020 Lexus NX?
In 2018, Lexus changed the name of the NX 200t to NX 300, keeping the same engine but refreshing the exterior styling. The 2018 version was updated significantly with an 8.0-inch infotainment screen standard and a 10.3-inch unit available. Standard active safety technology was also added in 2018.
There are few changes to the 2020 NX as a result of all these recent upgrades. Of note, the NX still does not offer Android Auto at this time.
What Does the 2020 Lexus NX Compete With?
There’s plenty of vehicles available in the two-row compact luxury SUV space. Competition is increasing so models are being refreshed frequently. Shop the Lexus NX against these vehicles:
Spend time comparing standard features with available features. Focus on the middle trim level as it’s generally a good value and comes with a lot of handy features. Bump up to higher trims for some fancy new safety features and a full suite of tech.
Exterior Design of the 2020 Lexus NX
The Lexus NX features a sharp Lexus grille, with horizontal slats, sleek headlamps and wide vents. The NX F Sport has even larger vents with an enormous grille with a complex pattern and low fog lamps.
There’s an optional large power tilt and slide moonroof available. The rear of the NX is just as distinctive as the front, with sharp lines and a dramatically sloping roofline. This adds a lot of character but also cuts into the cargo room. The tailgate has an optional kick sensor, allowing for hands-free opening.
The NX offers premium triple-beam LED head and tail lamps. The system uses steering and speed sensors to direct the angle of low-beam lighting as the vehicle enters a curve. This is very noticeable on winding roads. The LED lights are optional on all trims.
Interior Style in the 2020 Lexus NX
Unlike the exterior, the interior of the NX is more classic in nature. The materials are of a high quality, but the color schemes tend towards heavy use of piano black and matte metals. It’s a modern if cold look.
The gauge cluster measures over four inches wide and provides a variety of information along with detailed performance data.
The seats come in a variety of colors, which can add warmth to the interior. The F Sport has enhanced bolstered seats and a bit over the top G-force and turbo-boost gauges.
The second row features a 60/40-rear fold-down split, adding utility to the compact luxury crossover. There’s an array of cupholders, available heated and cooled seats, and leather trim as options.
Technology: (What Technology Comes in the 2020 Lexus NX?)
The Lexus NX 300 comes with the Lexus Enform App Suite 2.0. This provides access to mobile apps through the crossover’s multimedia display.
There’s a touchpad to control multimedia, climate controls, and navigation. The pad provides haptic or pulsing feedback, along with pinch, swipe, and flick gestures. The touchpad can be difficult to adapt to for some users, so new buyers should spend time getting used to the feel.
Apple CarPlay is now available in the NX. It’s important to note the NX does not yet support Android Auto.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2020 Lexus NX?
Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 is standard on all versions of the NX 300. This includes new low-light pedestrian detection and daytime bicyclist detection. A built-in camera provides road sign information.
There’s an array of airbags standard including driver’s and front passenger advanced airbag systems as well as the LATCH system for kids.
All NX vehicles come with Smart Stop, a system designed to reduce engine power automatically when both the brake and the accelerator pedals are pressed at the same time.
A cool optional safety feature is the panoramic view monitor. These high-resolution cameras are mounted on the front, sides and rear of the NX providing a bird’s-eye view of the area around the vehicle. On-screen guides help with parking and maneuvering in tight spots.
What is the 2020 Lexus NX Like to Drive?
The NX 300 is enjoyable to drive, with its sporty seats, responsive steering, and stiff suspension, especially in "Sport" mode, which is good in the twisties but not so good on rough roads. The six-speed tranny is a welcome relief from CVTs, but the brakes are squishy.
The “eco” mode increases fuel economy but takes away some responsiveness. “Normal” mode provides a good balance of performance. In the NX 300h hybrid, the EV driving mode adds efficiency. There’s also the opportunity to drive on pure battery for short distances at low speed, such as in a parking lot or a traffic jam.
Driving the NX through the twists and turns shows the smaller size to advantage. The steering is quick and responsive and the ride steady.
Should I Buy a Current 2020 Lexus NX?
The NX isn’t going to win any races, but it serves as a solid, comfortable daily driver. If you’re in the market for a compact luxury crossover and don’t mind some technology interface challenges, the NX 300 should be on your list.
Should I Buy a Used 2020 Lexus NX? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Lexus NX 300 nameplate is new from 2018, so any used ones will still be fairly new. It’s never a bad idea to shop for a gently used Lexus.
How Much Does the New 2020 Lexus NX Cost?
The 2020 Lexus NX starts at $36,720 for front-wheel-drive and $38,120 for all-wheel-drive. The F Sport starts at $38,960 and the NX 300h $39,070. The top of the line NX 300h luxury goes for $46,160. Lexus offers some nice packages such as Comfort, Premium Package, and Navigation.
The Comfort package is easy to recommend. It includes heated and cooled seats, tilting and heated side mirrors, and blind spot monitoring, a key safety feature. The Comfort package costs $980 on the NX300 and NX 300h, and $1,140 on the NX300 F Sport trim.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Lexus NX
- Good size for urban or suburban living
- Fits a wide range of households and lifestyles
- Handsome proportions
- Roomy interior
- Plenty of functionality and utility
- Rear cargo is compromised by dramatic roof angle
- Lack of Android Auto
- Interior dashboard is stark
The History of the Lexus NX: Four Years of the NX
The Lexus NX debuted at the Beijing Motor Show in 2014. It officially launched in 2015, fulfilling the need for a smaller vehicle to complement the RX SUV. While it shares a platform and wheelbase with the Toyota RAV4, the styling, suspension, interior, and luxury are all Lexus. The NX is produced in Japan.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Lexus NX
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.0L 16V DOHC 4-Cylinder w/VVT-iW
- 235 hp
- 6-Speed Multi-Mode Auto
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L 16V DOHC 4-Cylinder w/VVT-iW -inc: twin-scroll turbocharger w/intercooler
- Transmission: 6-Speed Multi-Mode Auto -inc: electronically controlled transmission w/intelligence (ECT-i)
- Axle Ratio: 3.888
- GVWR: 5,090 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 550CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Double Wishbone Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Mechanical Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7" Alloy -inc: darker finish
- Tires: 225/65R17 All-Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: 8-Speaker Lexus Premium Sound System -inc: Lexus multimedia system w/8.0-in color display and compatible Scout GPS Link w/MapStream mode (complimentary for the first three years of ownership), Bluetooth and USB smartphone connectivity subscription-free traffic and weather updates via HD Radio, voice command and mobile assistant enabling use of Siri Eyes Free or Google Assistant
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, In-Dash Mounted Single CD, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Regular Amplifier
- Digital Signal Processor
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 8-way power driver and power front passenger seats w/fore-aft slide, fore-aft recline, front vertical height, rear vertical height and power lumbar support (driver's seat only)
- Driver Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Mechanical Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Interior Accents and Leatherette Upholstered Dashboard
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- NuLuxe Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Folding Cargo Cover
- Cargo Features -inc: Cargo Tray/Organizer
- Cargo Space Lights
- Tracker System
- Lexus Enform Remote -inc: smart watch, Amazon Alexa skill integration and Google Assistant integration, One-year trial subscription included
- Lexus Enform App Suite 2.0 -inc: Amazon Alexa compatibility, NPR One, iHeartRadio, Slacker and Yelp
- Lexus Enform Wi-Fi -inc: Complimentary 4GB one-year trial included
- Instrument Panel Bin, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Lexus Enform w/Safety Connect Emergency Sos
- Forward Collision Mitigation
- Lane Keep Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag and Passenger Cushion Front Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera