Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Smooth ride
- Responsive handling
- High reliability ratings
- Attractive cabin
Lexus ES: Everything You Need to Know
About the Lexus ES:
The Lexus ES is a midsize luxury sedan from Toyota’s luxury brand, Lexus. The nameplate comes as a gasoline-powered model and a hybrid version.
It is larger than the Lexus IS compact car and smaller than its larger sibling, the Lexus GS midsize sedan. “ES” stands for “executive sedan.”
What’s New in the 2019 Lexus ES?
The Lexus ES was fully redesigned for the 2019 model year. The standard engine gets more power--302 horses versus 268 in the outgoing model. The latest iteration also comes with more standard features and is available in a high-performance edition, the Lexus ES F Sport. As the most athletic model in the lineup, the ES F Sport gets a rear spoiler, heated and ventilated sport seats, aluminum trim, and a unique front grille.
The 2019 Lexus ES comes in three trims: Premium, Luxury, and Ultra Luxury. The sedan is built on a front-wheel drive platform.
- ES 350 Premium: Base model is powered by a 302-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 engine. Standard features include synthetic leather upholstery, Bluetooth, three USB ports, satellite radio, a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot, and an infotainment system with an 8-inch display.
- ES 350 Luxury: Adds leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, and premium materials such as wood trim.
- ES 350 Ultra Luxury: Includes semi-aniline leather seats, an upgraded suspension, a hands-free power trunk, and a power rear sunshade.
Exterior colors include Atomic Silver, Caviar, Eminent White Pearl, Matador Red Mica, Moonbeam Beige Metallic, Nebula Gray Pearl, Nightfall Mica, Obsidian, Silverlight Metallic, and Sunlit Green.
What Does the 2019 Lexus ES Compete With?
The 2019 Lexus ES’s top competitors include:
Exterior Design of the 2019 Lexus ES
The 2019 Lexus ES received updated exterior styling. The four-door sedan displays a sporty look with sculpted sheet metal and athletic lines. Slim headlights and the brand’s large spindle grille revamp the car’s front end.
The latest generation sits lower and wider than before. Its wheelbase increases by 2 inches.
The 2019 Lexus ES comes standard with 17-inch wheels. Buyers can upgrade to 18- or 19-inch alloy wheels.
Interior Style in the 2019 Lexus ES
The 2019 Lexus ES seats five passengers on synthetic leather upholstery. The car’s front seats provide ample head- and legroom, and even tall adult passengers can sit comfortably in the rear.
The mid-range Luxury trim decks the cabin in leather upholstery and premium materials, such as wood. It also comes with heated and ventilated front seats, and ambient interior lighting. The Ultra Luxury trim upgrades the car’s cabin with semi-aniline leather seats and a power rear sunshade.
The ES uses high-quality materials such as aluminum and wood trim throughout the cabin. Driver and front passenger bucket seats are power-adjustable. F-Sport models get sport seats and aluminum trim. All models come with dual-zone automatic climate control and a power moonroof.
The car’s trunk measures a segment-leading 16.7 cubic feet. Buyers can add an optional power trunk lid. Unlike rival models, the rear seats in the ES don’t fold down.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Lexus ES?
All Lexus ES models come equipped with a wide variety of standard tech options including:
- Three USB ports.
- Satellite radio.
- HD radio.
- Built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Voice command.
- Ten-speaker sound system.
- Siri Eyes Free.
- Smartphone integration compatible with Amazon Alexa skills.
The car also comes with the Lexus brand’s infotainment system with an 8-inch display screen. Note that the infotainment system is controlled by touchpad and not a touchscreen. This makes it clunkier to navigate through the menus.
Buyers considering rival luxury cars would need to purchase the Premium model or Technology package to add the following:
- Mark Levinson premium sound system.
- 12.3-inch screen.
- Navigation system.
- Head-up display.
- Apple CarPlay.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Lexus ES?
The 2019 Lexus ES received top safety scores from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It comes with a host of standard and optional driver-assistance safety features. The standard Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 suite of driver assistance features includes:
- A rearview camera.
- Automatic high beams.
- Lane departure warning system with steering assist and road edge detection.
- Lane keep assist.
- Adaptive cruise control.
- Forward collision warning system.
- Pedestrian detection.
- Daytime bicyclist detection.
- Automatic emergency braking.
Buyers may add:
- Blind-spot monitoring.
- A head-up display.
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers.
- Parking sensors.
- A 360-degree camera.
What is the 2019 Lexus ES Like to Drive?
The 2019 Lexus ES receives a jump in horsepower. The base model is powered by a 302-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 engine. An eight-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard. The ES 300h comes with a four-cylinder engine combined with two electric motors for a total of 215 horsepower. It’s not as fast as the V6 models, but the ES 300h is rated to deliver 44 mpg in combined driving.
The upgraded engine is quicker and livelier than the previous model. The ES is poised but not as sporty as competitors. F Sport models offer an adaptive variable suspension system for a smoother and more capable ride.
Should I Buy a 2019 Lexus ES?
The 2019 Lexus ES is a solid choice in the midsize luxury car segment. Its upgraded powertrain and suspension deliver a capable and more dynamic ride than the previous generation. It also received high reliability ratings. Buyers will get an array of technology and safety features even without adding optional packages. However, they will need to upgrade to the Luxury package for some features, such as leather upholstery.
Shoppers who want a sportier choice can now buy an F Sport edition of the Lexus ES.
Should I buy a Used Lexus ES? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
Lexus debuted the seventh-generation ES for the 2019 model year. That means shoppers should find bigger bargains on models from 2018 or earlier. The 2019 ES received new styling, enhanced performance, and the brand’s latest technology and safety equipment. Buyers willing to forego those features are likelier to find a deal on a used Lexus ES. For a quality luxury sedan at a more affordable price, look at sixth-generation models built between 2012 and 2018.
How Much Does the 2019 Lexus ES Cost?
The Lexus ES 350 starts at $39,600. The Luxury and Ultra Luxury models begin at $42,255 and $43,250, respectively. The F-Sport edition starts at $44,135.
The hybrid version of the Lexus ES 350 does not cost much more than the gasoline model. The base trim for the ES 300h begins at $41,410. The Luxury starts at $44,065, and the Ultra Luxury begins at $45,060. Lexus does not make an F-Sport version for the ES 300h.
Lexus ES buyers can purchase optional packages to add more technology and safety features.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Lexus ES
- Smooth ride
- Responsive handling
- Quiet cabin
- New F Sport trim
- Options ratchet up the price
- Clunky infotainment system controls
- Can be slow to downshift
- No Android Auto
The History of the Lexus ES: 30 Years of the Lexus ES
Lexus, Toyota’s luxury division, introduced the ES midsize sedan in 1989 as its entry-level sedan. It debuted at the Detroit Auto Show alongside the flagship LS sedan. Now in its seventh generation, the has grown in size. It slots between the Lexus IS compact car and the Lexus GS midsize sedan.
Redesigned for the 2019 model year, the Lexus ES received upgrades to its performance, interior, and handling. The latest model also saw the debut of a sportier and more athletic ES F-Sport model.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Lexus ES
- Body Style
- 3.5L V6 DOHC 24V Dual VVT-i
- 302 hp
- 8-Speed Direct Shift Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- CD Player
- Cruise Control
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Alert
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.5L V6 DOHC 24V Dual VVT-i
- Transmission: 8-Speed Direct Shift Automatic
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 2.56 Axle Ratio
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 15.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs and Brake Assist
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5J Split 10-Spoke Aluminum Alloy -inc: machine finish
- Tires: 215/55R17 AS
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Express Open/Close Sliding And Tilting Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Trunk Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Lexus Premium Sound System w/10 Speakers -inc: 7-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) LCD instrument panel display, aux and 3 USB (1 front, 2 rear) audio input plugs, Bluetooth streaming audio, hands free phone and automatic phonebook download capabilities, CD player, HD Radio w/iTunes tagging (subscription free traffic and weather updates), integrated SiriusXM satellite radio receiver (complimentary 90-day trial subscription), remote touch interface controller w/back button, Lexus multimedia system w/8-inch color display and Scout GPS Link w/MapStream and TurnStream (complimentary for up to the first 3 years of ownership), Lexus Enform App Suite 2.0 Amazon Alexa compatible, Lexus Enform Wi-Fi (complimentary 4GB one-year trial included), Lexus Enform Remote app and Amazon Alexa compatibility (complimentary during first year of ownership), home screen divided into three customizable sections (HVAC, audio, traffic), voice command, Siri Eyes Free and Google voice control
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, MP3 Player, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Pioneer Speakers
- Digital Signal Processor
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- 10-Way Power Adjustable Front Seats
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- Bench Front Facing Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leatherette Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- NuLuxe Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate, Windows, Sunroof/Convertible Roof and Remote Engine Start
- Enform Safety Connect Tracker System
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest w/Pass-Thru w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Lexus Enform w/Safety Connect Emergency Sos
- Lexus Safety System+
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver And Passenger Knee Airbag and Rear Side-Impact Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera