Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Real off-road ability
- Space for as many as seven passengers
- Diesel option for better fuel economy
Land Rover Discovery: Everything You Need to Know
What is the Land Rover Discovery?
The Land Rover Discovery is a full-size SUV that can seat up to seven passengers, It is built by the British company Jaguar/Land Rover which is owned by the Indian company, Tata Motors.
The Land Rover Discovery combines real off-road capability with luxury, comfort, and the latest technology.
At its base, the Land Rover Discovery starts at $52,500 and has an available diesel engine option.
What’s New in the Land Rover Discovery?
For 2019, the Land Rover Discovery base SE model gets more standard equipment including a power-operated liftgate and LED headlamps, and a suite of safety features like lane-keeping assist, rear cross-traffic alert, a drowsy-driver monitor.
The Land Rover Discovery also gets a new multi-function steering wheel that offers touch-sensitive controls. You can also option your Discovery with a contrast roof color.
The HSE and HSE Luxury models come with real-time wading-depth information when properly equipped.
What does the Land Rover Discovery Compete With?
The Land Rover Discovery competes with the following full-size SUVs:
The Land Rover Discovery is great for families looking for a vehicle with a ton of interior space, the latest in technological advancements and off-roading features.
Exterior Design of the Land Rover Discovery
The Land Rover Discovery stands out in a sea of slab-sided SUVs that have flooded the market in the past few years. It’s softer and more rounded than its previous generation and offers luxurious touches like a chrome fender vents and good-looking multi-spoke wheels. There are eleven different wheel options in five different finishes. You also get a choice of twelve different exterior colors.
The Land Rover Discovery still gets the iconic stepped roofline, but designers have angled the windshield more to give the new Discovery less wind resistance. A panoramic roof is optional. For 2019, designers have also widened the tailgate opening to make loading and unloading easier.
For those Discovery vehicles outfitted with the optional air suspension, the SUV can lower by 0.6-inches to make getting out easier.
The Land Rover Discovery comes in the full-size version and the smaller mid-size version known as the Discovery Sport.
Interior Style in the Land Rover Discovery
Inside the Land Rover Discovery is luxurious and spacious. With an optional seating arrangement for seven passengers, you can haul plenty of people, though the third-row seats are made for kids rather than full-size adults.
The interior materials in the Land Rover Discovery are upscale and soft-touch. Front and second-row seats are comfortable and plush. The optional 16-way, power-adjustable, heated leather front seats with the optional massage feature give plenty of support and comfort on long drives. The Discovery can be outfitted with optional seat heating for all three rows, as well.
The dash of the Land Rover Discovery is clean and uncluttered. When outfitted with the piano black detailing around the dash, however, it can get a bit glary inside.
One neat optional feature in the Land Rover Discovery is the optional Land Rover Intelligent Seat Fold technology that allows you to use your smartphone to move and fold rear seats to make more space when loading up. The rear seats can slide 6.3-inches forward and back, and the third row can fold down in as little as twelve seconds. This feature is offered as standard on the HSE Luxury model.
There are plenty of storage cubbies for passengers around the cabin, including an upper and lower glove box in front of the front seat passenger, third-row cubbies, and space under the luggage floor. One major complaint we have, however, is the lack of space behind the third-row seat when it is in place. It’s barely wide enough to hold a small roll-aboard carry-on bag.
What Technology Comes in the Land Rover Discovery?
The Land Rover Discovery comes packed to the gills with the latest technology. While Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are optional, they do not cost more. You will, however, need to order the Discovery with the Smartphone Pack to get these features.
All Discovery models come with the InControl Touch Pro infotainment system which features a 10.2-inch touchscreen and optional Wi-Fi hotspot, real-time traffic alerts, and weather updates.
Land Rover has updated the infotainment system, so it's a bit faster, but it still lags and feels like it takes forever to load. The screen also readily shows fingerprints, which can be annoying.
There are up to nine USB ports and six, 12-volt sockets are strategically placed all around the interior (including the third row), and you can optionally outfit your Discovery with a rear entertainment system.
Land Rover also offers something called the Activity Key for all trims of the Discovery. Owners can use a FitBit-like waterproof bracelet to lock and unlock the car while leaving the key fob elsewhere. Simply hold the bracelet up to the letter "D" in Discovery at the rear of the vehicle, and it will lock or unlock.
New for 2019, the Land Rover Discovery gets a multi-function steering wheel that allows the driver to control various vehicle features. Opt for the navigation system and the Discovery will learn the routes you regularly travel and find the best way to avoid traffic.
The optional Driver Assist Pack adds adaptive cruise control and steering assistance to the Discovery.
Additionally, Land Rover offers features like Hitch Assist, a system that makes it easier for owners to hook up a trailer, and Trailer Stability Assist which can detect trailer sway and reduce the vehicle’s speed to stop it.
What Safety Features Are Available in the Land Rover Discovery?
While the Discovery has not been tested by either NHTSA or IIHS, it does come standard with the following:
- Automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection
- Rear parking sensors
Discovery vehicles optioned with the advanced driver assistance systems also include:
- Lane-keeping assistance
- Parking assistant that helps you park in either parallel spots or perpendicular spots
- Blind spot assistance
The Land Rover Discovery has not been rated by NHTSA or the IIHS.
What is the Land Rover Discovery Like to Drive?
The Land Rover Discovery is enjoyable to drive on the road. While it can be noisy at highway speeds, the luxurious interior makes up for it.
One of the biggest pros of the Discovery is its fantastic off-road capability. When equipped with the unique water-depth sensors and the air suspension, it feels like you can take the Discovery anywhere—literally.
Land Rover continues to leverage its history as a capable off-roading company and has built some of its most coveted features into the Discovery, even if it’s rare that owners take it anywhere outside of soccer practice and the grocery store.
Some of those features do come at the cost of on-road dynamics, however. The Discovery feels big and bulky on twisting roads, and because it is still boxy, it can get noisy on the highway. The brakes can be a bit mushy at times, and unless you drive it in Sport mode, it feels a bit laggy to react.
The Discovery comes in two engine options, a gasoline version, and a diesel version. Both get a well-sorted eight-speed transmission.
Optionally, if you choose to do some off-roading, you can outfit the Discovery with a two-speed transfer case, air suspension, and locking rear differential. If you want maximum torque and efficiency, we’d suggest that you go for the 3.0-liter turbodiesel version. All versions of the Discovery come with all-wheel drive as standard. It can tow up to 8,200 pounds.
Should I Buy a Land Rover Discovery?
In short, yes, now is the time to buy a Land Rover Discovery.
Land Rover has made tremendous improvements to its reliability (something that has dogged the Discovery and other models for years), and the most recent Discovery is greatly improved over its previous versions.
While competitors like the Volvo XC90 and the Audi Q7 are priced lower, the Discovery offers more off-road capable features and the option of seating for seven passengers.
Should I Buy a Used Land Rover Discovery?
Older Land Rover Discovery vehicles may be coveted by collectors (because they are so capable and really do look cool), but they can be problematic.
Suspension issues and engine issues tend to plague earlier models. If you are considering purchasing a used Land Rover Discovery, be sure to have it checked out by a certified mechanic before you buy.
How Much Does the Land Rover Discovery Cost?
The Land Rover Discovery starts at $53,295, including destination.
For our money we would recommend stepping up to the HSE model which starts at $59,700 but comes with all the bells and whistles you could want and need.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Land Rover Discovery
- Luxurious interior
- Tows up to 8,200 pounds
- True, fully-capable off-road features
- Excellent fuel economy from the optional diesel engine
- The base level gasoline engine isn’t very fuel efficient
- Touchscreen inside the Discovery shows tons of fingerprints, is slow to load, and hard to use
- The cabin can be noisy at highway speeds
- Tiny cargo space behind third-row seats
The History of the Land Rover Discovery: One Million SUVs and Counting
The very first Land Rover Discovery was introduced in 1989, and it is now in its fifth generation. In March of 2012, Land Rover built the one-millionth Discovery at the Solihull plant. Nearly 1.2 million Discoverys have been sold worldwide.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Land Rover Discovery
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.0L Si6 V6 Supercharged
- 340 hp
- ZF 8-Speed Automatic (8HP45)
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Four Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Assist
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.0L Si6 V6 Supercharged
- Transmission: ZF 8-Speed Automatic (8HP45)
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 6,592 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode, CommandShift Sequential Shift Control w/Steering Wheel Controls and Oil Cooler
- Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Automatic w/Driver Control Ride Control Suspension
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 23.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Permanent Locking Hubs
- Short And Long Arm Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front And Rear Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 19" 5 Split-Spoke -inc: Style 5021
- Tires: 19"
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Aluminum Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Fixed Glass 1st Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Fixed Glass 2nd Row Sunroof w/Power Sunshade
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Step Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power w/Tilt Down Heated Auto Dimming Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Variable Intermittent Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Rain Detecting Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Aluminum Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Side Steps
- Metal-Look Grille
- Power Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Aero-Composite Led Low/High Beam Daytime Running Auto-Leveling Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Rear Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Radio: Land Rover Enhanced Sound System -inc: InControl Touch Pro Navigation, InControl pro services, InControl remote premium and wi-fi hotspots
- AM/FM/Satellite-Prep w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System, Weatherband and External Memory Control
- 10 Speakers
- Regular Amplifier
- Streaming Audio
- Window Grid Diversity Antenna
- Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Driver & Passenger 12 Way Electric Front Seats
- Bucket Front Seats
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 8-Way Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Level, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Interior Lock Disable
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 4 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access
- HomeLink Garage Door Transmitter
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Metal-Look Gear Shift Knob
- Grained Leather Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Trunk/Hatch Auto-Latch
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate and Windows
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- InControl Protect Tracker System
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Front And Rear 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Terrain Response Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- InControl Protect Emergency Sos
- Park Assist Automated Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Assist Blind Spot Sensor
- Emergency Braking and Reverse Traffic Detection
- Lane Keep Assist Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keep Assist Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Power Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera