Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Luxury car features and performance at an affordable price
- Excellent warranty coverage
- Striking styling
- Available all-wheel drive
- Practical hatchback design
Kia Stinger: Everything You Need to Know
About the Kia Stinger:
The Kia Stinger is a full-size four-door hatchback that gives the Korean company credibility in the near-luxury space. The Stinger is based on a rear-wheel drive platform. It’s paired with a choice of turbocharged engines (with the option of all-wheel drive). The Stinger treads on ground previously exclusive to BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz.
The Kia Stinger is a good buy for anyone seeking the comfort, performance, and features of a high end brand, but who doesn't want to pay a premium just for the badge on the hood.
What’s New in the 2019 Kia Stinger?
The 2019 Kia Stinger continues largely unchanged as compared to last year’s model. There have been a number of updates made to its list of standard equipment, however:
- Base models now include 18-inch wheels.
- Blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic detection is standard on entry-level trims.
- The GT trim gains a limited-slip rear differential.
- The Advanced Driver Assist System has been added to Premium and GT1 trim levels, and ventilated seats.
- The GT2 now comes with a top-down camera system as well as heated rear seats.
The Kia Stinger continues to offer a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder as its standard engine. Rated at 255 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, it delivers 22-mpg in city driving and 29-mpg on the highway in rear-wheel drive models.
An upgrade is available in the form of a 365 horsepower, 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6. Capable of 376 lb-ft of torque, this engine features fuel economy of 18-mpg city and 25-mpg highway. It also offers the availability of all-wheel drive. Both versions of the Kia Stinger are shifted via an 8-speed automatic transmission.
What Does the 2019 Kia Stinger Compete With?
The 2019 Kia Stinger competes with the following vehicles:
The most popular version of the Kia Stinger is the Premium, which retains the more affordable 4-cylinder turbo engine. But the Premium level adds a raft of features such as a larger infotainment screen with nav, an LCD gauge cluster display, and heated and ventilated front seats. The Premium also features LED headlights and rear turn signals and a power sunroof.
The Kia Stinger is an attractive choice for budget-conscious buyers who need a large car but don't want to give up performance or styling.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Kia Stinger
The 2019 Kia Stinger’s sleek, sloped-roof proportions set it apart from traditional large sedans.
Base model Kia Stingers come with 18-inch rims. The Premium adds LED headlights and LED rear turn signals, as well as a sunroof. The Stinger GT upgrades to 19-inch rims and unique trim to indicate the presence of a V6 under the hood.
The Kia Stinger provides the right mix of menace and muscle to give it an edge over more conservative designs in the full-size segment. This is especially true of the GT trim levels, which deliver an eye-catching elegance combined with the car's unusual hatchback shape and sporty details.
Interior Style in the 2019 Kia Stinger
The 2019 Kia Stinger provides an appealing mix of big-car passenger room with hatchback cargo space that is difficult to replicate in its class.
With a five-passenger capacity, it's better to restrict rides in the Stinger to four adults. Stuffing three into the rear row would be somewhat uncomfortable. Beware, too, the sloping roofline if you're a taller backseat rider.
Up front, the buckets grip and support at a level one would expect from a performance-oriented vehicle. All seats in every Stinger are wrapped in leather, regardless of trim level. Four LATCH attachments can be found in the vehicle.
The Kia Stinger makes the most of its large hatch opening at the back to make it easy to load cargo. Fold the rear bench nearly flat and there's copious room for hauling longer items such as ladders that simply wouldn't fit in a traditional sedan.
There's a center console storage bin at the front of the cabin as well as two pockets behind each seat, and a pair of pockets in the hatch area on either side.
The Kia Stinger's cabin appointments aren't as flashy as its exterior styling, but they are still in keeping with its near-premium aspirations. The Stinger matches well against brands like Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus with a minimum of hard plastic present.
Knobs and buttons for the vehicle's climate control and stereo system are well-sized. The touchscreen itself is somewhat far from the driver's seat and smaller drivers may find themselves with a bit of a reach.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Kia Stinger?
Once you step above the base model of either engine option, the 2019 Kia Stinger delivers substantial technology features, especially in terms of active safety and driver's aids.
The 2019 Kia Stinger can be had with a comprehensive list of interior and technology equipment, including:
- Advanced Driver Assist safety features
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 7.0-inch color information display
- G-force meter
- Head-up display
The 2019 Kia Stinger comes standard with:
- • Blind spot monitoring
- • Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- • Satellite radio
- • Dual-zone automatic climate control
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Kia Stinger?
The new Kia Stinger offers standard blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic detection. This monitors each side of the vehicle using radar and alerts you to automobiles immediately around the Stinger (or approaching from the sides while backing up).
If you order any Kia Stinger trim level above the entry-level 4-cylinder or V6 (Premium, GT1, GT2) you can also get the Advanced Driver Assist suite of safety features, which includes:
- Automatic emergency braking. This slows or even stops the car should a collision with another vehicle be deemed imminent by the vehicle's forward-looking radar system.
- Lane departure warning. An alert that informs you that the Stinger has drifted out of its lane.
- Lane keep assist. A nudge that brings the vehicle back into its lane should it cross over the road markings.
- Automatic high beams. A feature that dims the high beam headlights in the presence of other automobiles on the road at night.
- Adaptive cruise control. This system maintains a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of the Stinger and operates at all speeds.
- Driver attention warning. Should you become drowsy or distracted while driving, this system will let you know that it's time to take a break.
What is the 2019 Kia Stinger Like to Drive?
The 2019 Kia Stinger provides an impressive grand touring experience. While not as athletic as its appearance might suggest - this is still a heavy car - its performance is a cut above almost every large sedan at its price point. The Stinger remains comfortable, quiet, and composed in daily driving.
The 4-cylinder turbo's engine is more than adequate at moving the Kia Stinger from A to B and will satisfy most buyers infatuated with the hatchback's style and comfort.
The twin-turbo V6 boosts acceleration to the point where it's nipping at the heels of considerably more expensive luxury cars. Step up to the GT1 trim's adaptive suspension system and suddenly you have more control over the Stinger through the corners, too, sharpening its handling.
The GT trim now includes a limited-slip differential, and the Kia Stinger is much better at putting down its generous horsepower with it. But if you want even more grip - and exceptional snow-and-ice capability - the all-wheel drive system offered as an option with either Stinger engine is a worthy upgrade. The eight-speed transmission is well-matched with both the 4 and 6-cylinder editions of the car, too.
Should I Buy a 2019 Kia Stinger?
If you care more about performance, features, and style than you do about brand, then the 2019 Kia Stinger is an excellent choice as a full-size car. It’s definitely worth adding to your shopping list - especially if value is a concern.
Should I buy a Used Kia Stinger?
The Kia Stinger is only in its second year of production. We would have no qualms recommending a used Stinger, as it is very similar to the current model in terms of equipment.
How Much Does the New 2019 Kia Stinger Cost?
The 2019 Kia Stinger starts at $32,990, which is considerably less than a comparably-equipped Audi or BMW. Even the twin-turbo GT model's $39,300 price tag is a substantial savings in its segment. The Stinger delivers more bang-for-the-buck than any of its current rivals when considering performance and features.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Kia Stinger
- Sleek styling
- Hatchback practicality
- Very quick twin-turbo V6
- Thousands of dollars less than comparably-equipped luxury brand rivals
- Comfortable, engaging ride
- No brand awareness among premium car shoppers
- Less headroom in rear than traditional sedan
- Substantial price leap between base and premium trim levels
- No manual transmission offered with turbo 4-cylinder
The History of the Kia Stinger: 2 years of Stinger
The Kia Stinger hit the scene for the 2018 model year as the first grand touring car from the Korean company to challenge German and Japanese luxury models. It shares its platform and many of its drivetrain details with the Genesis G70 sedan.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Kia Stinger
- Body Style
- 2.0L GDI DOHC D-CVVT Twin Scroll Turbo I4
- 255 hp
- Electronically Controlled 8-Spd Auto
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Rear Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Blind Spot Sensor
- Blind Spot Warning
- Cruise Control
- Heated Seats
- LCD Monitor
- LED Lights
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.0L GDI DOHC D-CVVT Twin Scroll Turbo I4
- Transmission: Electronically Controlled 8-Spd Auto -inc: drive mode select and paddle shifters
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Rear-Wheel Drive
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 90-Amp/Hr 740CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 15.9 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Quasi-Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 18" x 8.0 Alloy
- Tires: P225/45R18 All-Season
- Wheels w/Machined Accents
- Aluminum Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Mounted Inside Under Cargo
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Black Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Dark Chrome Power w/Tilt Down Heated Side Mirrors w/Power Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Speed Sensitive Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- LED Brakelights
- Laminated Glass
- Radio: AM/FM/MP3/HD/SiriusXM Audio System -inc: 7" color touch-screen display, 6 speakers, UVO eServices infotainment system, support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, USB input, Bluetooth wireless connectivity, wireless phone charger and steering-wheel-mounted controls
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock and Speed Compensated Volume Control
- Regular Amplifier
- Window Grid Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Heated Front Bucket Seats -inc: 12-way power adjustable driver seat w/4-way lumbar support,
- 8-Way Driver Seat
- 6-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Sport Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Front Cigar Lighter(s)
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Cargo Access and Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Piano Black Door Panel Insert, Piano Black Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Door Trim Insert
- Leather/Chrome Gear Shift Knob
- Leather Seat Trim
- Day-Night Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim and Carpet Trunk Lid/Rear Cargo Door Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Tracker System
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Leatherette Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Park Distance Warning-Reverse Rear Parking Sensors
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) Blind Spot Sensor
- and Rear Cross Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Restricted Driving Mode
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- First Aid Kit
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera