Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- All-wheel drive available across the board.
- 10-year/10,000 mile warranty on powertrain.
- Optional turbo engine adds significant power.
- Strong value-per-dollar on features.
2019 Kia Sportage: Everything You Need to Know
About the 2019 Kia Sportage:
The Kia Sportage is a compact SUV aimed at buyers on a budget. Despite its modest pricing, the Sportage delivers above-average style and features. It also has one of the longest warranties in the business.
The Kia Sportage provides a long list of available safety features as well as a turbocharged engine in top-tier models. This places it near the front of the small SUV pack in terms of performance, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Kia Sportage?
The 2019 Kia Sportage is mostly unchanged when compared to the past year’s model. Still, it is quite competitive compared to other SUVs at its price point.
The 2019 Kia Sportage is available with one of two engine choices:
2.4-liter, 4-cylinder that develops 181 horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque. Standard with the LX and EX trim levels, it's mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. In front-wheel drive trim, it's good for fuel mileage of 23-mpg city and 30-mpg highway. These numbers drop slightly to 21-mpg city and 25-mpg highway if all-wheel drive is specified.
2.0-liter, 4-cylinder turbo rated at 240 horsepower and 237 lb-ft of torque. Only found with the SX Turbo trim, it also features a 6-speed autobox. Fuel mileage is listed at 21-mpg city and 26-mpg highway for FWD models. All-wheel drive editions see 20-mpg city and 23-mpg highway.
All versions of the Sportage continue to offer a rearview camera, LED daytime running lights, keyless entry, and a 5-inch touchscreen infotainment system.
What Does the 2019 Kia Sportage Compete With?
The Kia Sportage competes with the following vehicles:
The Sportage EX is the trim that offers the most popular combination of features at a mid-range price:
Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
A larger 7-inch touchscreen.
Blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert.
Heated leather seats.
You can add most of this gear to the entry-level LX via the Popular package.
Those who want more luxury without paying for the SX Turbo's engine upgrade can step up to the EX Technology package. It includes:
A larger touchscreen.
Automatic high beam headlights.
Lane departure warning.
Automatic emergency forward braking.
The Kia Sportage is a good and affordable choice for families who need all-wheel drive and extra space on the inside, but don't have room to park a larger SUV at home.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Kia Sportage
The 2019 Kia Sportage carries over its look from the year before. This means all models benefit from an aggressive front end with a honeycomb grille framed by LED daytime running lights carved into the top of the vehicle's fenders. It features a fast roof line, with a rising strip of trim tightening the glass towards the rear of the vehicle's profile. This allows for a sporty look without taking away interior headroom.
Moving up through the model ladder will add niceties such as:
Larger alloy rims (ranging in size from 17-inches to 19-inches).
Power folding side mirrors.
LED tail lights.
Dual exhaust tips.
Skid plates front and rear.
The Kia Sportage compares well alongside less stylish rivals in its segment. This makes it a fashion-forward choice.
Interior Style in the 2019 Kia Sportage
The 5-passenger 2019 Kia Sportage is a comfortable place to spend some time. This is true in both the first and second row of seating. Even full-size adults will find the Kia to be generous in terms of head and leg room.
That comes at a cost, however. There's less cargo space for hauling your gear in the Sportage than you would find in several of the SUV's closest competitors. You're more likely to be transporting overnight bags than flat-screen TVs with the seats folded flat. Still, groceries, etc. have plenty of space between the hatch door and the seatback. LATCH attachments are also present and accounted for.
The soft-touch plastics of the base model up to the leather trim found in EX and SX Turbo territory provide good quality. The various dials, buttons, and other controls up front are intuitive and fall readily to hand.
Numerous storage bins can be found throughout the cabin. This includes a system at the rear that raises and lowers the height of the load floor. It's also possible to order a panoramic sunroof that lets in plenty of light.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Kia Sportage?
The Kia Sportage's base level of technology isn't as robust as some of its rivals, but you can gear-up the SUV relatively quickly.
The 2019 Kia Sportage features a number of worthwhile tech features, including:
7-inch and 8-inch infotainment touchscreens.
320-watt Harman/Kardon sound system.
4.2-inch color LCD gauge cluster.
The 2019 Kia Sportage comes standard with:
160-watt stereo system.
3.5 inch LCD gauge cluster.
5-inch infotainment touchscreens.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Kia Sportage?
The 2019 Kia Sportage offers fairly basic standard safety gear, one of its weaknesses when compared to other SUVs in its class. A rearview camera, anti-lock brakes, a full suite of airbags,
and of course electronic stability control and traction control are included with every model. If you want more active safety, you'll have to open up your wallet.
The EX trim introduces:
Blind spot monitoring. These sensors monitor the area on either side of the Sportage to detect vehicles you may not see in your mirrors.
Rear cross-traffic alert. An electronic eye watches the area immediately to either side of the vehicle when you back up.
The EX Technology package adds:
Automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection. A forward-looking system that can stop the Sportage should it detect a vehicle or person in the path ahead.
High beam assistance. Automatically dimming high beam headlights.
Lane departure warning. An alert that sounds should the Sportage stray from its lane.
The SX Turbo includes all of these features.
What is the 2019 Kia Sportage Like to drive?
For most drivers, the base 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine in the 2019 Kia Sportage will offer more than enough power, with respectable acceleration from a stop and reasonable passing power on the highway (although steep hills might require a little extra planning when overtaking).
All-wheel drive provides additional traction in foul weather, and it can even be locked to split torque evenly between the front and rear axles for light off-roading. It can also improve handling, although if performance is your goal then the SX Turbo's considerable boost in straight-line speed and stiffer suspension setup will provide the most focused, and fun, driving experience.
Still, it's best to keep things in perspective. The Sportage's most appealing attributes out on the road are its comfortable and confident ride, its excellent visibility, and its ability to deal with slippery road conditions thanks to its available all-wheel drive system.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Kia Sportage?
The Kia Sportage has a lot to offer young families or anyone who needs extra cargo space combined with all-wheel drive, especially if price is a concern. It's worth a test drive when shopping for a compact SUV.
Should I buy a Used Kia Sportage? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The current generation Kia Sportage debuted for the 2017 model year and given the strong warranty protection and reputation for reliability associated with the SUV, we have no hesitation recommending a recently used Sportage.
How Much Does the New 2019 Kia Sportage Cost?
The 2019 Kia Sportage is on sale now and starts at an MSRP of $23,750. While not the least expensive small SUV out there, the Kia Sportage is a compelling mix of features and quality that makes it an appealing choice at the entry-level.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Kia Sportage
- Affordable price.
- Solid driving experience regardless of engine choice.
- Excellent passenger room front and rear.
- Strong performance from turbocharged engine.
- Healthy level of advanced safety gear in top trim models.
- Advanced safety equipment isn't standard.
- Cargo room is below par for its class.
- Not as fuel efficient as more recent compact SUVs.
The History of the Kia Sportage: 26 years of Model
The original Kia Sportage appeared in the early 90s as a body-on-frame sport-utility vehicle produced in partnership with Mazda and Ford. One of the first Kias to hit American shores, it was a traditional truck-based vehicle that featured four-wheel drive and a two-door convertible model (although the latter is a rare find on the used market).
In 2002 the Sportage was discontinued and then in 2006 resurrected on a sedan-based platform that left its off-road capabilities behind but gave it a much smoother ride and better fuel mileage due to reduced weight and a more modern stable of engines.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Kia Sportage
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L GDI DOHC 16V I4
- 181 hp
- Electronic 6-Speed Automatic w/OD
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L GDI DOHC 16V I4 -inc: dual CVVT
- Transmission: Electronic 6-Speed Automatic w/OD -inc: sportmatic shifting,
- Axle Ratio: TBD
- GVWR: TBD
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 16.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Descent Control and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 17" Machine-Finished Alloy
- Tires: P225/60R17
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper, Heated Wiper Park and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Front Windshield -inc: Sun Visor Strip
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Auto High-Beam Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM -inc: 6 speakers, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto and Bluetooth wireless technology
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls and External Memory Control
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 4-way adjustable passenger seat
- Driver Seat
- 6-Way Adjustable Driver's Seat
- Passenger Seat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Power Fuel Flap Locking Type
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Vinyl Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim -inc: YES Essentials
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist-Ped (FCA-Ped)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera