Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Roomy and spacious cabin.
- Optional V6 power.
- Premium features at an affordable price.
- Stylish design.
Kia Sorento: Everything You Need to Know
About the Kia Sorento:
The Kia Sorento is a 3-row mid-size SUV and one of the Korean automaker's strongest sellers. Since its introduction in the early 2000s, it has evolved from a more traditional truck-based hauler to a smooth and stylish people mover.
The Kia Sorento is well-priced, feature-laden, and easy on the eyes, making it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Kia Sorento?
The 2019 Kia Sorento is refreshed for the current model year. Changes are incremental, rather than sweeping and keeps the SUV near the front of a very competitive pack.
Size-wise, the Kia Sorento remains the same. Inside, it gains new available active safety features, as well as 3 rows of seating as standard equipment. Last year, the 3rd row was optional, and not available on every model. Under the hood, it loses the previous model's turbocharged motor.
You can still order the 2019 Kia Sorento with the following engines:
- A 2.4-liter 4-cylinder that produces 185 horsepower and 179 lb-ft of torque
- A 3.3-liter V6 good for 290 horsepower and 252 lb-ft of torque
Each of these carries over from 2018. A new 8-speed automatic transmission is now standard with the V6 and improves fuel mileage. The base motor is matched with a 6-speed automatic. The 4-cylinder is rated at 22-mpg city and 29-mpg highway, while the V6 shows as 19-mpg city and 26-mpg highway. All-wheel drive can be ordered with either engine.
What Does the 2019 Kia Sorento Compete With?
The 2019 Kia Sorento competes with the following SUVs:
The most popular version of the 2019 Kia Sorento is the EX. This mid-tier trim level offers access to the optional V6 engine and adds a number of appealing features:
- 18-inch wheels
- Fog lights
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Heated leather seats
- Keyless ignition
- Power front seats
The Kia Sorento is an excellent choice for families seeking more space and the security of all-wheel drive. It's also good for those who want style and features at an affordable price.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Kia Sorento
The 2019 Kia Sorento maintains the exact same dimensions as the previous model. The differences can be found in the SUV's details, and include the following changes:
- New fog light design
- Revised front and rear bumpers
- LED turn signals above instead of below the headlights
- New taillight look
The base Kia Sorento L offers 17-inch alloy wheels. The EX installs 18-inch wheels, fog lights, and a hands-free tailgate. The SX features 19-inch wheels and a panoramic sunroof, while the SXL (or SX Limited) provides LED headlights and foglights.
Overall, the Kia Sorento is one of the more attractive mid-size SUVs on the market. Upscale models in particular turn heads with their lighting and chiseled sheet metal.
Interior Style in the 2019 Kia Sorento
The big news for the 2019 Kia Sorento is that a 3rd row of seating is now standard on all models after having been optional the year before.
The 3rd row itself isn't palatial and is best suited to children if you are going to load a full 7 passengers into the Kia Sorento. The 2nd row, however, is quite accommodating. Even taller individuals will have nothing to complain about on long trips thanks to excellent leg room. LATCH attachments are available for child seats.
Fold both rear rows flat and you end up with 73 cubic feet, enough room for almost any home renovation store run. This is on par with most mid-size SUVs, although not class-leading.
Loading the Kia Sorento is easy thanks to its wide cargo opening at the back, which is available with hands-free opening. With just the 3rd row folded there's nearly 38 cubic feet, which is generous. Up front, storage nooks and the center console are of a good size, if not particularly innovative.
Switchgear inside the 2019 Kia Sorento will be familiar to anyone who has spent time in any other Kia. Most materials come across as sufficiently soft and eye-catching for the SUV's price, even the SX Limited model's premium. Interior plastics and trim pieces feel like a good match for the number on the window sticker, which is not always the case for non-luxury SUVs.
If you want leather instead of cloth upholstery, you'll have to select the EX trim or better. The EX also comes with heated front seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. The top-tier SX Limited introduces acoustic glass in order to make the Kia Sorento's cabin even quieter out on the road. It also features upscale Nappa leather seats.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Kia Sorento?
The new Kia Sorento provides a competitive level of technology features for a mid-size SUV.
The 2019 Kia Sorento comes standard with:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- 3.5-inch driver information display
- Rearview camera
- Bluetooth connectivity
The 2019 Kia Sorento's list of available tech and convenience features includes the following:
- 7.0-inch driver information display
- Ambient interior lighting
- Suite of active safety features
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Harman/Kardon audio system
- Parking assistance
- 360-degree camera system
- Dual automatic climate control
- Automatic high beam headlights
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Kia Sorento?
The 2019 Kia Sorento offers a competitive set of safety features. Unfortunately, any and all accident avoidance technology is only available on more expensive trim levels of the SUV. Many other brands provide these items as standard.
Starting at the EX trim level, the 2019 Kia Sorento offers the following safety equipment:
- Forward collision warning with emergency braking. This system monitors the road ahead and if a collision is deemed imminent, it warns you and applies the brakes. It can even detect pedestrians crossing the road
- Lane departure warning. This alerts you if the Kia Sorento leaves its lane unexpectedly
- Lane keep assist. This feature can keep automatically keep the SUV between the lane markings
- Driver attention alert. This system keeps an eye out for signs of driver fatigue
- Adaptive cruise control. A feature that automatically maintains a gap between the SUV and the vehicle just ahead
Blind spot monitoring is offered on all models but the base. This feature scans the sides of the Kia Sorento for unseen traffic. The entry-level Kia Sorento L has no advanced safety gear available whatsoever.
What is the 2019 Kia Sorento Like to Drive?
The 2019 Kia Sorento is in many ways a tale of two engines.
The base 4-cylinder motor is adequate for most driving. The V6, on the other hand, is a good match for the weight of the Kia Sorento and is worth paying more for if you are comfortable with its thirstier fuel mileage. The SUV offers multiple drive settings, including a Sport mode that sharpens throttle response.
Most important is the calm and collected attitude of the Kia Sorento in almost every driving situation. Although not particularly fun to drive, it offers a comfortable ride that never feels overwhelmed, even on twisty roads. Optional all-wheel drive is a boon when dealing with snow and ice. It's possible to split torque 50/50 front and rear for dealing with more treacherous road conditions.
As a daily driver, commuter, or road tripper, the 2019 Kia Sorento performs well.
Should I Buy a Current 2019 Kia Sorento?
If you are seeking a stylish, near-premium SUV at a less-than-luxury price, the Kia Sorento is a good option. A spacious interior, comfy ride, and good power from its optional V6 engine make it worth a test drive.
Should I Buy a Used Kia Sorento?
Last year's Kia Sorento differs only slightly from the current model. Most notably, it offers a less attractive interior and slightly worse fuel economy.
An available turbocharged engine, however, adds a bit of spark to the older Kia Sorento. Build quality is also quite good. We recommend looking at 2015-and-newer models. Just keep in mind that you can't get a third row of seating with any used models.
How Much Does the New 2019 Kia Sorento Cost?
The 2019 Kia Sorento costs $25,990 for its entry-level L model. The top-tier SX Limited will set you back $46,490.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Kia Sorento
- Powerful V6
- Good interior room
- Attractive design
- High quality cabin
- Good features for the price
- No more turbocharged engine
- Third row is a bit small
- No active safety gear for base model
- V6 fuel mileage is not spectacular
The History of The Kia Sorento Model: 17 years of Sorento
The Kia Sorento first hit showrooms in 2002. Originally, it featured truck-like construction that struck a balance between off-road and on-road driving. It even offered a low-range 4-wheel drive system.
For 2010, the Kia Sorento moved to a car-based platform that prized comfort and handling over rugged capability. It was from here that it would transition to the 3-row people mover it is known as today, with another redesign in 2015 pushing it closer to the front of the mid-size SUV pack.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Kia Sorento
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L GDI Dual CVVT DOHC 16V I4
- 185 hp
- 6-Speed Automatic w/Sportmatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L GDI Dual CVVT DOHC 16V I4
- Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Sportmatic
- 3.51 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 5,335 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 54-Amp/Hr 600CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 130 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 18.8 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust w/Chrome Tailpipe Finisher
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 17" x 7.0" Alloy
- Tires: P235/65R17
- Wheels w/Silver Accents
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim and Black Front Windshield Trim
- Chrome Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Radio: AM/FM/MP3 Audio System -inc: 7" touch-screen color display, 6 speakers, support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, USB/auxiliary input jacks, 2 USB charging input jacks and Bluetooth connectivity
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Radio Data System
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats
- 8-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Cushion Tilt
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 40-20-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Manual Reclining Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Fixed 50-50 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Fold Into Floor and 2 Fixed Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts, Headliner/Pillar Ducts and Console Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- YES Essentials Cloth Seat Trim
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 4 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera