Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Smooth ride
- Quiet cabin
- Long list of standard features
- Competitive price
Kia Sedona: Everything You Need to Know
About the Kia Sedona:
The Kia Sedona is a front-wheel drive minivan that’s competent in many areas. It provides pleasant handling, seats up to eight passengers, and has a long list of standard features. And it’s more accessibly priced than some of its rivals.
The Sedona isn’t as well-known as some of the models it competes with in the minivan segment. But don’t let that discourage you. It’s a strong choice for shoppers seeking a family hauler that rates highly when it comes to value.
What’s New in the 2019 Kia Sedona?
The Sedona has gotten some notable revisions for the 2019 model year. Its exterior has been updated to give it a more assertive look. Last year’s six-speed automatic transmission has been replaced by a new eight-speed automatic. And the Sedona’s optional rear-seat entertainment system is all-new for 2019.
Kia sells the 2019 Sedona in four trim levels:
- The base L trim comes standard with such features as cruise control, air conditioning, and manual-sliding side doors
- Moving up to the LX trim brings in power-sliding side doors and rear privacy glass
- The EX trim includes roof rails and an auto-dimming rearview mirror
- With the top SX trim, you get features like LED fog lights and adaptive headlights
What Does the 2019 Kia Sedona Compete With?
The 2019 Kia Sedona competes with these minivans:
Kia’s Sedona performs well in many of the areas that are important to minivan shoppers. It’s a competent, well-outfitted, and attractive choice in this segment.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Kia Sedona
The 2019 Kia Sedona’s exterior design gives this minivan a capable, no-nonsense appearance. Relative to last year’s model, the new Sedona has a more up-to-date headlight configuration. The bumper and air intake have also been revised. These changes give the Sedona a sportier look.
An attractive mesh grille sits between the Sedona’s upswept headlights. Deep sculpting on the lower side panels adds contours to the minivan’s profile.
The base-model Sedona L rides on 17-inch alloy wheels and comes with power-adjustable side mirrors. With the range-topping SX trim, you get features such as LED headlights and heated side mirrors.
Interior Style in the 2019 Kia Sedona
The 2019 Kia Sedona provides a cabin that’s both spacious and attractive. The center stack is slightly angled toward the driver. This helps gives the cabin a driver-focused look that’s more commonly seen in SUVs than minivans. The materials used throughout the interior are of good quality. Overall, this minivan’s cabin has an upscale appearance.
The first two rows of seats offer lots of room for passengers. And the third row is spacious enough to provide comfortable seating for adults.
With the base model, second-row captain’s chairs are standard, and they allow the minivan to seat seven passengers. All other trims come with a second-row bench seat that boosts passenger capacity to eight.
When it comes to cargo volume, the Sedona provides 33.9 cubic feet of room with all seats in place. This expands to 78.4 cubic feet with the second row lowered. Folding both the second and third rows boosts cargo space to 142 cubic feet. These figures will certainly be acceptable for most shoppers. But keep in mind that some rivals offer more room for your stuff.
Base models come with a steering wheel that tilts and telescopes to help the driver find a comfortable position. Higher trim levels add amenities like a heated steering wheel. The top SX trim comes standard with a cooled glove box.
The Sedona isn’t available with an integrated vacuum cleaner. This feature is offered by the Chrysler Pacifica and Honda Odyssey.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Kia Sedona?
The 2019 Kia Sedona offers the most important tech features you need for family travel. All models come with Apple Car Play and Android Auto, allowing you to integrate your smartphone easily. Bluetooth connectivity is also standard, for hands-free phone calls.
You can access the Sedona’s infotainment features via a standard seven-inch touchscreen. We found this interface to be pretty user-friendly. The graphics are attractive, and the menus are laid out in a logical manner.
The Sedona is available with an integrated navigation system that comes with an eight-inch touchscreen. EX and SX are models are available with a rear-seat entertainment system. The Sedona’s options list also includes features like wireless device charging and an eight-speaker Harman Kardon audio system.
Both the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna offer a feature that allows the driver to communicate with rear-seat passengers using the minivan’s speakers and a microphone. This amenity isn’t available in the Sedona.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Kia Sedona?
The 2019 Kia Sedona is available with a number of the latest active safety features. All models are equipped with a backup camera. This technology provides a clear view of the path behind you when you’re reversing the vehicle.
The list of optional equipment includes a blind-spot warning system, which can help you change lanes more safely. A forward-collision mitigation system is also offered. This technology will automatically hit the brakes to prevent a collision.
Additionally, features like adaptive cruise control, parking assist, and a surround-view camera are available.
What Is the 2019 Kia Sedona Like to Drive?
Many shoppers who are in the market for a family vehicle prioritize smooth handling. And the 2019 Kia Sedona delivers nicely this area. In most circumstances, its suspension keeps rough road surfaces from jolting passengers.
The Sedona’s engine provides strong acceleration, with enough power to get the big minivan up to speed quickly on the highway. The cabin remains serene during freeway driving. The Sedona’s steering is a bit on the light side, but this makes the minivan easy to maneuver when making turns in a parking lot.
All models are equipped with a 3.3-liter V6 powerplant. This engine delivers 276 horsepower and 248 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission that sends power to the front wheels.
Fuel economy for the 2019 Sedona comes in at 18/24 mpg in city/highway driving. Rivals like the Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica offer better gas mileage.
Should I Buy a New Kia Sedona?
The 2019 Kia Sedona provides pleasant handling, and it has one of the nicest-looking cabins in its segment. It has the roominess you expect from a minivan and comes with a long list of standard amenities.
This affordably priced 2019 Kia Sedona has what it takes to earn our solid recommendation.
Should I Buy a Used Kia Sedona? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
The Kia Sedona entered its third generation with the 2015 model. This generation brought in sportier styling, both inside and out, as well as a broader range of amenities.
A used Sedona offers great value. We’d recommend getting a 2015 or newer model to enjoy the most modern safety and convenience features.
How Much Does the New Kia Sedona Cost?
The 2019 Kia Sedona has a starting price of $28,245, including a $1,045 destination charge. It costs thousands less than rivals like the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, making the Sedona a bargain in its class.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Kia Sedona
- Pleasant handling
- Spacious interior
- Upscale, quiet cabin
- Relatively accessible price
- Less cargo space than some rivals
- Competing models offer better fuel economy
- Steering is a bit light at highway speeds
- Not available with certain useful features, like an integrated vacuum cleaner
The History of the Kia Sedona
The Kia Sedona debuted in the 2002 model year. These early models don’t have useful features like power-sliding side doors and the latest active safety features.
Kia’s Sedona minivan got its first redesign in the 2006 model year. This overhaul brought in better handling and improved fuel economy. The Sedona got its second redesign in 2015. This reboot expanded the minivan’s range of standard and available features.
Safety is important to many minivan shoppers. Over the years, the Sedona has won many Top Safety Pick awards from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Kia Sedona
- Body Style
- Passenger Van
- 3.3L GDI V6 Lambda 24V DOHC
- 276 hp
- 8-Speed Automatic w/Sportmatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.3L GDI V6 Lambda 24V DOHC
- Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic w/Sportmatic
- 3.51 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 6,085 lbs
- Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 80-Amp/Hr 660CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 150 Amp Alternator
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Hydraulic Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 21.1 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Wheels: 17" x 6.5J Alloy
- Tires: P235/65R17 Low Rolling Resistance
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Compact Spare Tire Stored Underbody w/Crankdown
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding and Turn Signal Indicator
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Surround
- Sliding Rear Doors
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM/MP3 Audio System -inc: 4 speakers, 7.0" Rear View Monitor w/Parking Guidance (RVM w/PG), support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth wireless technology and USB/auxiliary input jacks
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Steering Wheel Controls and Voice Activation
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Captain Seats
- Driver Seat
- 6-Way Adjustable Driver's Seat
- Passenger Seat
- Bucket Folding Bucket Front Facing Manual Reclining Slide-N-Stow Tumble Forward Rear Seat w/Manual Fore/Aft
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage and Rear Seat Mounted Armrest Outboard Only
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows
- Fixed 60-40 Split-Bench 3rd Row Seat Front, Manual Recline, Manual Fold Into Floor, 3 Manual and Adjustable Head Restraints
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Rear HVAC w/Separate Controls
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts and Headliner/Pillar Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Chrome Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Seat Trim w/YES Essentials
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination, Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage, Conversation Mirror and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Space Lights
- Instrument Panel Covered Bin, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- 4-Way Adjustable Passenger's Seat
- Perimeter Alarm
- 3 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st, 2nd And 3rd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners