Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Available in three feature-packed trims
- Achieves 100-MPGe fuel efficiency
- Capable of all-electric operation
- Includes comprehensive passive and active safety systems
- Offers the convenience of configurable interior spaces
The 2019 Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid is a slim and trim yet surprisingly powerful midsize sedan. The Niro Plug-In Hybrid has all the features drivers would expect from well-equipped hybrid electric vehicles but also comes complete with an external build that is somewhat SUV-like. It offers drivers and passengers the convenience and freedom of three trim levels with features designed to appeal to many different tastes.
The Kia Niro Hybrid has loads of admirable attributes that make it a good fit for many types of lifestyles. Its fuel efficiency makes it an excellent choice for commuters or anyone who spends a lot of time behind the wheel. Indeed, the battery-assisted Niro Hybrid is qualified for use in special carpool lanes in many cities, a feature that can save drivers even more time and effort.
While this crossover vehicle has many sedan-like features, it is also roomy enough to transport small families in comfort. The 2019 Kia Niro roof rack, cargo bay, and foldable seats also enable it to double as an effective cargo transport vehicle for long-range journeys. These characteristics are also potentially valuable for those who put in long miles for work, college students, and vacationers.
Drivers who search for cars that are moderate in price, offer connectivity to Android and Apple products, and have smaller carbon footprints should find the 2019 Kia more than adequate.
Is it Better to Have Parallel Motor Operation Capability?
Many hybrid electric vehicles have drivetrains that fit into one of several categories. Two currently popular categories include series vehicles and parallel capable vehicles, and the smart 2019 Kia fits into the parallel camp.
This motor configuration offers operators of this car significant advantages. Among other things, these certified advantages include flexible operating options and more fuel efficiency.
Electric vehicles like the Niro Plug-In Hybrid that feature parallel motor operation capability can make use of their electric motors, gas motors, or both. This means that when the Kia Niro needs extra levels of torque or power, it can engage both motors for maximum effect. By the same token, this plug-in hybrid vehicle can also use a minimum of power to achieve efficiency goals.
Plug-in hybrid cars like the Niro also include special Atkinson cycle-designed motors. These types of gas engines work well in hybrid vehicles because their design maximizes their fuel efficiency. Thus, the Niro Plug-In Hybrid can engage powerful electric motors for low end torque while using the fuel-efficient gas engines for extended high-speed operations.
These and other features allow this family of cars to achieve performance figures usually reserved for cars with much larger and less efficient motors. Practically speaking, this premium EV feature offers drivers the power to get out of sticky situations if and whenever necessary.
Does this Vehicle Include Active or Passive Safety Systems?
Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid cars come equipped with a raft of both passive and active safety features. Active measures come from the Kia Drive Wise safety system, which uses a web of sensors, warning devices, and motion help technologies to boost driver and occupant safety levels.
Passive safety systems include:
- The strong internal skeleton of the car: Kia Niro plug-ins use specially designed unibody frames made with hardened steels. These metals are then arranged in a proprietary fashion that maximizes rigidity and internal strength.
- Powerful metal beams that protect the vehicle doors: These beams help to reinforce the internal metal cage of the car. They can resist side impact forces and improve occupant safety. What's more, Niro Plug-In bodies also have special front and rear crumple zones built into their designs. The zones can mitigate the effects of rear-end or head-on collisions.
- A comprehensive network of internal airbags: These airbags cover areas such as the front, steering wheel, side impact, driver’s knee, and head. The network even offers side-curtain protection from the front all the way to the rear. Plus, special systems control these Niro Plug-In airbags and can regulate the inflation and deflation rate of the bags. This system can help to protect the health of vulnerable passengers such as kids and the elderly.
Drivers of Niro Plug-In Hybrids will appreciate sensory measures such as:
- Lane keeping assist: This technology uses sensors to track vehicle position relative to divider lines. If the car gets too close to these lines, this service can return the vehicle to the center of the lane of travel.
- Lane change assist: Lane changes can be times fraught with hazards for many drivers. This valuable technology helps to mitigate these risks by checking nearby driving lanes for obstacles. This system helps to prevent lane change collisions before they occur.
- Lane departure warning: It can be easy for drivers to get distracted by things like personal devices, music, or even other passengers. Such lapses in attention are often followed by slight losses of vehicle control. The good news is that the Kia Niro plug-in can sense when drivers are drifting out of place. It then uses a special audible and visual warning regimen to get driver attention.
- Blind spot detection: No matter how experienced drivers may be, each and every one will have a blind spot. The Niro Plug-In helps to reduce or cut this risk with its specialized system of radar-based blind spot monitors.
How About Handling?
This is just the tip of the iceberg because the 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid also deploys more safety-promoting features. For example, drivers, or even test drivers, of this car will enjoy features such as electronic brake force distribution. This feature can assist even unskilled drivers by properly distributing braking force depending on vehicle weight, plus it can also add extra brake force if necessary.
Related to this feature is the Kia Niro smart cruise control system that can maintain vehicle distance, speed up, or decelerate on demand. This auto safety system even includes a special driver attention alert that uses cameras to watch driver fatigue levels. Systems such as these can keep drivers awake during long trips and thus keep them and their passengers more secure.
In addition to keeping an eye out for and assisting drivers with the above-mentioned features, the 2019 Niro Plug-In Hybrid can also help drivers where the hot rubber hits the road. For example, each and every Niro comes equipped with special traction control services.
This traction control system acts like a personal race car driving instructor. It can keep the rubber on the road by sensing impending tire spins and then taking swift action.
Other similar Niro Plug-In Hybrid systems are the vehicle stability management service that increases traction. The electronic stability control system offers an advanced engine, transmission, and brake control.
What Types of Tech Features are Available?
The 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid comes in several trim levels. These trim levels include the LX, EX, and the EX PREMIUM trims. The LX version is the base model for this family of vehicles, but it and the other members of this plug-in family come well stocked with tons of popular and valuable technology features.
For example, the base Kia LX trim offers vehicle occupants interior conveniences such as Android Auto and Apple Car Play services. This hybrid trim level as well as the EX levels are well stocked with 7-inch touchscreens that make interacting with car systems easier. Other LX extras include heated steering wheels with comfortable leather wrapping and multi-zone climate control.
The EX trim has everything from its base level partner but adds extra goodies like a 10-way driver’s seat with lumbar support. The EX Premium level ups the ante with features such as heated or cooled front seats and a special sunroof with either slide or tilt capabilities.
Can Occupants Expect Adequate Interior Space?
They certainly can. The 2019 Niro Plug-In offers occupants the convenience of crossover-like interior spaces. In the front seat area, this car is well endowed with generous levels of leg and headroom.
Likewise, back seat passengers can enjoy enough room to seat three medium-sized adults in comfort. Besides its people carrying prowess, the Kia Niro also does well with various cargo configurations. The trunk area set behind the passenger seats offers solid amounts of storage space, and common items such as groceries, work gear, or sports equipment are easy to handle.
This rear area also comes equipped with a vision-obscuring cover that promotes security. If vehicle users need more room, the rear seat offers split folding capability and can also lay flat. This gives this plug-in hybrid vehicle the kind of room associated with hatchbacks, and thus enables Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid users to load and transport longer and bulkier items.
Finally, if Niro plug-in occupants need yet more cargo space, they can take advantage of the roof rail system. This system can support cargo options like carriers, sporting equipment, or garden-variety luggage.
Is it Easy to Charge this Vehicle?
It certainly is. For one thing, Niro Plug-In Hybrid models use special regenerative braking technology in their design packages.
Practically speaking, this means that every time Niro drivers hit their brakes to slow down, they are simultaneously recharging their high-capacity onboard batteries. Drivers can then use this electric energy during takeoffs or other driving maneuvers.
In addition, this parallel drivetrain vehicle can also use its onboard, high mpg gas motor to charge its electric motor during longer journeys. What's more, these cars come equipped with charging adapters that allow them to use energy from a variety of power sources. Hybrid owners can charge up their vehicles at home with normal 120V plug sources and expect full charges in nine hours or less.
Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid operators who wish to enjoy faster charging can go with the 240V option and can expect full or nearly full charges in 2 1/2 hours or less.
Pros and Cons of the 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid
- Enjoys high combined fuel efficiency ratings
- Offers luxurious internal design factors
- Includes special driver memory settings
- Comes complete with remote control
- Drivers can access all-electric operation
- Comes with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Better suited for operation in urban environments
- Some occupants may prefer larger internal view screens
The Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid line of families has enjoyed a short but illustrious history. The engineers at Kia launched the flagship Niro Plug-In Hybrid in 2017. This initial offering came replete with many useful features such as gasoline and synchronous permanent magnet motors.
That said, the 2017 version did not include plug-in convenience.
The 2018 version of the Niro plug-in hybrid improved upon the previous year’s offering in several ways. In addition to some subtle engine and motor upgrades, these Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid improvements included features such as LED lighting schemes, bigger and clearer internal screens, and entertainment tools from iconic manufacturers like Harman Kardon.
Specs & Key Features of the 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 1.6L Atkinson Cycle DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cyl
- 139 hp
- 6-Speed Dual-Clutch
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Android Auto
- Apple CarPlay
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Lane Departure Warning
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 1.6L Atkinson Cycle DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cyl -inc: Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and 8.9 kWh lithium-ion-polymer hybrid battery
- Transmission: 6-Speed Dual-Clutch -inc: sport mode
- 3.227 Axle Ratio
- GVWR: 4,409 lbs
- Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
- Front-Wheel Drive
- Battery w/Run Down Protection
- Hybrid Electric Motor
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering
- 11.4 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Regenerative 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Traction Battery w/9 Hrs Charge Time @ 110/120V and 2.75 Hrs Charge Time @ 220/240V
- Wheels: 16" Alloy w/Full Covers
- Tires: P205/60R16 Michelin
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Body-Colored Front Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Chrome Bumper Insert
- Body-Colored Rear Bumper w/Black Rub Strip/Fascia Accent and Metal-Look Bumper Insert
- Black Bodyside Moldings and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Chrome Side Windows Trim
- Body-Colored Door Handles
- Body-Colored Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Deep Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Roof Rack Rails Only
- Fully Automatic Projector Beam Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Front Fog Lamps
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: AM/FM/MP3/SiriusXM Satellite -inc: 6 speakers, Bluetooth wireless technology w/steering-wheel-mounted controls, 7" touchscreen w/UVO eco infotainment and support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, USB and auxiliary input jacks
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Steering Wheel Controls and 8 Gb Internal Memory
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- Front Bucket Seats -inc: 6-way adjustable front passenger and driver seats
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 6-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Traction Battery Level, Power/Regen, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Leather/Metal-Look Steering Wheel
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Doors And Push Button Start
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry, Illuminated Ignition Switch and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Distance Pacing
- Dual Zone Front Automatic Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look/Piano Black Instrument Panel Insert, Metal-Look Door Panel Insert, Metal-Look Console Insert and Chrome/Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Leather Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth-Trimmed Seats
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Illumination
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- FOB Controls -inc: Trunk/Hatch/Tailgate
- Smart Device Remote Engine Start
- UVO eco Tracker System
- Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Manual w/Tilt Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest and Rear Center Armrest
- 1 Seatback Storage Pocket
- Perimeter Alarm
- Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) Lane Keeping Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) Lane Departure Warning
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- Back-Up Camera