Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- World’s most iconic four-wheel-drive vehicle with history dating back to 1940
- Muscular design
- Serious off-road capability
- Choice of V6 or turbocharged four-cylinder engines
- Available with advanced technology
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: Everything You Need to Know
About the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The Jeep Wrangler is one of the most recognizable vehicles on the market. With a legacy that stretches back to World War II military vehicles, the Wrangler is the vehicle of choice for off-road adventures. The name is often shortened to just “Jeep,” because this model defines the whole brand.
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is a four-door model. There is also a two-door version simply called the Wrangler. The Wrangler Unlimited has a substantially longer wheelbase and more interior space than the two-door model.
What’s New in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?
The Wrangler Unlimited was completely redesigned for 2018, so the 2019 model is substantially unchanged. Updates include adaptive cruise control and forward-collision warning, both part of the Advanced Safety Group package.
The 2019 Wrangler Unlimited is available in these trim levels: Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon, and the special Moab Edition. All Wrangler Unlimited models are convertibles, with the buyer’s choice of canvas or removable fiberglass roof options.
The Wrangler Unlimited includes a standard 3.6-liter V6 engine that produces 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine is available as an option. This powerplant puts out 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Both engines come matched with a six-speed manual or optional eight-speed automatic transmission.
Most Wrangler Unlimited models come standard with part-time, dual-range four-wheel-drive. There’s also an available full-time four-wheel drive system. And the rugged Rubicon trim includes a special four-wheel-drive system and off-road suspension for extreme conditions.
What Does the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Compete With?
In many ways the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is in a class by itself. The only other body-on-frame four-wheel-drive convertible vehicles on the market are the closely related Jeep Gladiator pickup and the two-door Jeep Wrangler. However, Jeep shoppers typically consider these other off-road vehicles:
- Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
- Ford F-150 Raptor
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Jeep Renegade
- Ram 2500 Power Wagon
- Toyota 4Runner
Buyers considering these cars are usually looking for maximum off-road capability. However, they do not want to sacrifice on-road comfort or technology features, since most buyers intend to drive their vehicle every day.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The basic Jeep design hasn’t changed dramatically in over 70 years. The 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is squared-off and boxy, leaving no doubt about its military origins. This is a vehicle designed to go anywhere, and Jeep never forgets that fact.
One notable update for this generation Wrangler Unlimited exterior does not relate to headlights or mirrors. It’s a simplified design that allows owners to take the top off quickly and easily. By unscrewing a few bolts, you can remove the doors and fold the windshield down, as well.
The Wrangler Unlimited has three top options. You can choose a traditional canvas convertible top that rolls up and stows easily. There’s also the removable hardtop that comes off in sections. Finally, there’s a combination of the two with hardtop sides and a roll-back canvas roof section. The optional Sky One-Touch top allows occupants to open or close the canvas roof with a push of a button at speeds up to 60 mph.
Many Wrangler Unlimited owners have more than one top. The hardtop is nice and snug for winter driving, while the canvas top is great for summer.
Interior Style in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You might think that the Wrangler Unlimited would be primitive inside, but that’s not true. Jeep gives the Wrangler Unlimited very comfortable seats and a number of comfort and convenience features. Air conditioning is optional on the base Sport trim and included on all other models. Standard upholstery is durable cloth, but leather is optional in the higher trims.
The Wrangler Unlimited will seat five passengers in two rows. The outboard rear seats include LATCH child safety-seat hardware. The rear seats fold down to create a large cargo area. There’s even a secret storage compartment under the floor behind the rear seat.
One thing to note about the Wrangler Unlimited is that you can hose it out if it gets dirty. Jeep includes drains in the floor so you can wash out any dirt or other mess. Just remove the floor mats and give the Jeep a rinse.
What Technology Comes in the New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?
A Uconnect system with a 5.0-inch touchscreen and an AM/FM radio is standard on Sport and Sport S trims. A 7.0-inch system with support for Sirius/XM satellite radio is included with the upper Sahara and Rubicon trims. A large 8.4-inch Uconnect system is standard on the Moab and optional for the Sahara and Rubicon.
All Uconnect systems include Bluetooth connectivity and a USB port for streaming music and device charging. Every Wrangler also supports voice commands. Wranglers with the 7.0-inch and 8.4-inch Uconnect systems support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The base audio system has eight speakers. A nine-speaker system by Alpine is standard on the top models and optional on some other trims.
If you select the optional 8.4-inch Uconnect system, you get GPS navigation, which will track and record your path on the road or through the wilderness. Simply press record to start tracking, and stop recording at your destination. You can even save your favorite routes for future use.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited comes with the following standard safety features:
- Electronic rollover mitigation
- Electronic stability control
- Hill-start assist
- Backup camera
- Traction control
- Trailer sway damping
Higher trim levels and option packages can add features that include:
- Blind spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Forward-collision warning
- Adaptive cruise control
- Advanced braking assistance
- Hill descent control
- Rear parking assist
What is the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Like to Drive?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited offers the best driving experience of any Wrangler ever made. If you drove a Wrangler Unlimited before 2018, it’s time for a new test-drive. Jeep has dramatically upgraded the vehicle’s on-road manners. It’s smoother, quieter, and more like driving an SUV.
The two-door Wrangler and the four-door Wrangler Unlimited are quite different on the road. The short wheelbase of the Wrangler makes it quicker to turn but less stable than the Unlimited. Most drivers find that the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited yields a better driving experience.
The majority of buyers will select the standard 3.6-liter V6 engine and the optional smooth-shifting automatic transmission. This is a great package, and you won’t feel penalized for choosing the base engine. But if you want to upgrade, the turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is available at extra cost. And Jeep has announced that a turbo-diesel option is coming before 2020.
If you plan to do most of your driving on streets and highways, the more basic Sport and Sport S trims are a good choice. The Rubicon trim includes a lot of hardware that is optimized for serious off-road performance. This includes Dana front and rear heavy-duty axles with electronic locking differentials, disconnecting front sway bar, and 33-inch all-terrain tires. The Moab offers unique exterior trim, LED lighting, and more interior comfort, including premium leather upholstery.
Should I Buy a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?
If you want the ultimate in off-road vehicles, the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is for you. There are plenty of choices among the various trim levels. Then you can select what kind of convertible top you want and the level of comfort and technology in the vehicle. There’s really no downside to buying a new Wrangler Unlimited.
Should I buy a Used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited? Are There Any I Should Avoid?
If you want to buy a used Wrangler Unlimited, try to find a 2018 model. Jeep split the model year, and some older 2018 Wrangler Unlimited models were sold. This is a good Jeep, but it does not include the advancements of the current model.
As always, if you can find a certified pre-owned Jeep, that’s the best option. CPO vehicles have been inspected for damage and abuse, and they come with a solid warranty.
How Much Does the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Cost?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited starts at $33,040, and Sport S begins at $36,240. The Sahara trim starts at $39,890, and the Rubicon trim costs from $43,040. The Moab Edition begins at $52,795, which is the highest starting price for a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. All prices include a destination charge of $1,495.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Unparalleled off-road capability
- Great V6 engine and four-wheel-drive system
- Fun with a convertible top
- Iconic American vehicle
- Relatively expensive
- High wind noise at highway speeds
- Somewhat high insurance premiums
- Few advanced safety features
The History of the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: 78 Years of Off-Road Driving
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is descended from the original Jeep that was developed for the U.S. Army in 1940 as a compact, go-anywhere vehicle. After the war, veterans reported their high opinion of the rugged Jeep, and the Willys company began to produce them for public sale. Over the years Jeeps have been manufactured by Willys, Kaiser-Jeep, American Motors, and now Fiat-Chrysler. For decades the vehicle was called a CJ, or Civilian Jeep.
In 1986, Chrysler changed the name from CJ to Wrangler. There have been four generations of the Wrangler in the last 33 years. Each generation maintains the off-road capability of the original model while enhancing its technology, on-road handling, and comfort. The four-door Wrangler Unlimited arrived for the 2007 model year and revolutionized the Jeep Wrangler line.
The latest generation of the four-door version is known as the Wrangler Unlimited JL. The current Wrangler Unlimited is the most technically sophisticated Jeep ever made and continues to be one of America’s most iconic vehicles.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.6L V6 24V VVT UPG I w/ESS
- 260 - 285 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Four Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT UPG I w/ESS
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- 3.45 Rear Axle Ratio
- Normal Duty Suspension
- GVWR: 5,300 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Manual Transfer Case
- Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 650CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Aux Battery
- Stop-Start Dual Battery System
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 3 Skid Plates
- 1233# Maximum Payload
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Electro-Hydraulic Power Assist Steering
- 21.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Auto Locking Hubs
- Leading Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Trailing Arm Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5" Black Steel Styled
- Tires: 245/75R17 All Season
- 110 MPH Vehicle Max Speed Calibration
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Mounted Outside Rear
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper w/2 Tow Hooks
- Black Rear Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Fender Flares
- Black Manual Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Removable Rear Window
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Light Tinted Glass
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Magnesium Panels
- Manual Convertible Top w/Fixed Roll-Over Protection
- Analog Display
- Body-Colored Grille
- Conventional Rear Cargo Access
- Manual Tailgate/Rear Door Lock
- Front Fog Lamps
- Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Non-Lock Fuel Cap w/o Discriminator
- Radio: Uconnect 3 w/5" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- 8 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Seats w/Cloth Back Material and Manual Driver Lumbar
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement and Manual Lumbar Support
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline and Fore/Aft Movement
- 60-40 Folding Split-Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Engine Hour Meter, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Manual Rear Windows and Removable 3rd Row Windows
- Illuminated Front Cupholder
- Illuminated Rear Cupholder
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- HVAC -inc: Console Ducts
- Manual Air Conditioning
- Locking Glove Box
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Metal-Look Console Insert
- Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Locking Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet And Rubber Mat
- Locking Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- Instrument Panel Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Manual 1st Row Windows
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Foldable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera