Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Go-anywhere off-road capability
- Iconic styling
- Convertible fun
- 2-door and 4-door models
Jeep Wrangler: Everything You Need to Know
About the Model:
The Jeep Wrangler is a legend in the off-road world. Introduced in 1941 as an all-terrain vehicle for the U.S. Army, the Wrangler SUV has evolved into a modern classic. Few other vehicles can match its ability to hurdle any obstacle, and it is the Jeep brand's best-selling vehicle year after year.
The Jeep Wrangler's go-anywhere acumen and unmistakable design make it a good buy.
What’s New in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler?
The 2018 Jeep Wrangler was all new, so this 2019 Jeep Wrangler is almost unchanged save for a pair of active safety features: adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning. A new turquoise color called' Bikini' is also in the mix.
The Jeep Wrangler carries over its engine choices:
- A 3.6-liter V6. Good for 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, it is available with a 6-speed manual or 8-speed automatic transmission
- A 240 horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder. Also capable of generating 295 lb-ft of torque, it is matched with an 8-speed automatic
Fuel mileage for the 2019 Jeep Wrangler peaks at 23-mpg city and 25-mpg highway for the 4-cylinder. The turbocharged engine employs a mild hybrid design to improve efficiency. Mileage drops as low as 17-mpg city and 23-mpg highway for manual V6 models.
The Jeep Wrangler can also be ordered with an array of 4-wheel drive systems:
- Command-Trac provides low-range and high-range gearing
- Rock-Trac introduces an ultra-low 4:1 gear ratio for rock crawling
- Selec-Trac offers full-time 4-wheel drive
The Jeep Wrangler is available in a 2-door version or a 4-door body style featuring a longer wheelbase.
What Does the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Compete With?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler competes with the following vehicles:
The most popular Jeep Wrangler trim is the 2-door Sport S. It slots in above the base Sport and adds air condition, power doors and windows, keyless entry, heated side mirrors, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel at all an affordable price. It also offers access to options packages that install the technology features most buyers expect.
The Jeep Wrangler is a good choice for fans of off-road driving who don't mind sacrificing some comfort for incredible capability.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Jeep Wrangler
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler makes no changes to its exterior styling from the year before. This is a positive thing, as the Wrangler's most recent update remains true to the design heritage that has shaped it for over 75 years.
The base 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sport includes 17-inch steel wheels, removable soft top and doors, fold-down windshield, tow hooks, skid plates, fog lamps, and a spare tire mounted on the tailgate.
The Sport S adds 17-inch alloy wheels and power heated mirrors. The Sahara (4-door only) installs a silver grille, side steps, body color fender flares, and adds the option of a body color removable hard top.
The Rubicon moves to unique 17-inch wheels, knobby 33-inch off-road tires, rock rails, a different hood with Rubicon graphics, taller fender flares, and a body-color grille. The 4-door adds the MOAB, with its steel front bumper, 32-inch tires, and standard hardtop and LED lighting.
LED lighting can be added to Sahara and Rubicon models as options. It is also possible to order the Jeep Wrangler 4-door with the Sky One-Touch top. This adds a power convertible element to the hardtop. In addition to the retractable cloth panel on top, the rear side windows can also be removed.
No other vehicle looks like the Jeep Wrangler. You won't find another SUV that lets you drive around with the roof, doors, and windshield out of the picture. The Wrangler turns heads wherever it goes with its heritage-inspired styling and tough-as-nails design.
Interior Style in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler carries over last year's interior styling. It features a refined yet utilitarian cabin designed to clean up easily and wear hard when exposed to the elements.
Cloth seats are standard in all versions of the Jeep Wrangler except the MOAB, which features leather upholstery. Leather is also optional on some trim levels.
Front riders are positioned high in the Jeep Wrangler. While the 4-door offers more second row legroom, the 2-door remains adult-friendly in the back.
In the same way, the 4-door delivers much more cargo space than the 2-door. This is especially true when loading longer items, which can be a challenge in the 2-door Jeep Wrangler. You'll more than double the smaller SUV's 31.7 cubic feet of total storage in the 4-door.
In fact, the 4-door matches the 2-door's total cargo area without the need to fold down its rear seats. This is an important consideration for families seeking to haul a meaningful amount of gear on a weekend excursion.
The Jeep Wrangler Sport S adds a leather-wrapped steering wheel. The Sahara includes a color driver information display, additional USB charging ports, vinyl wrapping on dash and center console, and ambient lighting. The Rubicon includes unique seats, while the MOAB adds a number of unique trim upgrades. LATCH attachments are available in all models.
Interior storage is somewhat of a challenge in the Jeep Wrangler. You will likely find yourself using the cupholders up front to handle phones and other small items.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler?
Despite its nods to the past, the 2019 Jeep Wrangler can be outfitted with respectable technology features. You will have to go into the options sheet for most of these, however.
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler can be had with these tech and interior features:
- 7.0-inch Uconnect touchscreen infotainment system
- 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple Carplay/Android Auto
- Automatic climate control
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated front seats
- Active safety systems
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler includes the following standard tech gear:
- Hill descent control. This system automatically restricts the speed of the vehicle when traveling off-road
- Push-button start
- 5.0-inch Uconnect touchscreen infotainment
- 3.5-inch LCD information screen
Some buyers may be frustrated with the barebones nature of affordable Jeep Wrangler trims. Building the Wrangler with expected creature comforts and basic modern features may require the use of options packages.
What Kind of Safety Features are in the 2019 Jeep Wrangler?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler requires you to pay more for what few advanced safety features it offers, since it only comes standard with a rearview camera.
However, the 2019 Jeep Wrangler's list of optional active safety features includes the following:
- Blind spot monitoring. This system watches for traffic along either side of the vehicle, as well as when reversing out into a lane
- Rear parking assistance. These sensors let you know when you are getting close to an obstacle while backing up
- Forward collision warning. This monitors the road ahead and sounds an alarm if an impact is deemed imminent
- Adaptive cruise control. Using radar, the automatically keeps the Jeep Wrangler a safe distance from vehicles on the road ahead
As you can see, both of these lists are fairly short as compared to other SUVs at the Jeep Wrangler's price point.
What is the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Like to Drive?
In many ways the 2019 Jeep Wrangler is a throwback to old-school driving. It includes a solid front axle at the front and the rear, which makes steering less precise than in other modern SUVs. Some models - such as the Rubicon - also feature aggressive suspension and gearing settings that add to the vehicle's rough character on pavement.
Although generally comfortable, there are some commuting situations where the Jeep Wrangler will buck and bounce unexpectedly. It is also prone to wandering at highway speeds, forcing drivers to make constant steering adjustments. This is especially true of the 2-door with its shorter wheelbase. The soft top is loud whether raised or lowered, and in the winter, it lets in the chill more than a traditional SUV. That being said, this new version of the Jeep Wrangler is the best one yet from an ease-of-driving perspective.
Off-road, there is very little that can stop the 2019 Jeep Wrangler. This is especially true of the ultra-rugged Rubicon edition, which can climb rocks, ford significant depths, and handle mud with ease. The Wrangler’s low-range gearing is perfect for tackling rough trails, and excellent ground clearance and an abuse-ready chassis ensure success far from the beaten path. You can't buy a better all-terrain vehicle than this SUV.
Power from the Jeep Wrangler's standard V6 is sufficient for both daily driving and adventure-seeking. Its 6-speed manual provides additional control on the trail, as well. For those seeking better straight-line speed and low-end torque, the optional turbocharged 4-cylinder is the best pick. It is paired well with its standard 8-speed automatic, and it includes a 48-volt mild hybrid system that reduces fuel consumption while enhancing performance. The turbo 4 is noticeably quicker than the V6 with the gas pedal floored.
Should I Buy a 2019 Jeep Wrangler?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler is the best out-of-the-box off-roader on the market. It's hard to recommend the capable Rubicon, however, due to its high cost and lack of safety and comfort features. The entry-level and Sport S are easier to swallow from a value perspective.
We recommend the Jeep Wrangler for off-road fans but can't say the same for those who just want a stylish daily driver. There are more comfortable and better-featured SUV choices for the same price.
Should I Buy a Used Jeep Wrangler?
The previous-generation JK Jeep Wrangler was actually sold alongside the new JL generation for the 2018 model year. This means that some of last year's Wranglers are actually much older in terms of design, so be careful when shopping.
Although less comfortable, a used Jeep Wrangler is generally a good buy for off-road fans. Aim for a 2012-and-up model, which features the latest V6 engine design.
How Much Does the New 2019 Jeep Wrangler Cost?
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2-door starts at an MSRP of $28,045. The 4-door Rubicon will set you back $38,045, but with options that price can easily rise past the $50k mark.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler
- Legendary styling
- Unstoppable off-road ability
- The only convertible mainstream SUV on the market
- Fast turbocharged engine option
- 4-door adds considerable practicality
- Archaic driving experience on pavement
- Lack of advanced safety equipment
- Rubicon gets expensive fast
- Base models offer very few features
The History of TK Make Model: TK years of Model
The Jeep Wrangler was born into the world as the CJ during the Second World War. In that time, it has undergone a series of evolutions and redesigns. The modern Wrangler dates back to 1986, when it was known as the 'YJ,' establishing the formula that holds true today. Over the years the Jeep Wrangler has gained power, size, and refinement, but it is recognizably linked to its predecessors in a way few other long-running vehicles can claim.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Jeep Wrangler
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 3.6L V6 24V VVT UPG I w/ESS
- 270 - 285 hp
- 6-Speed Manual
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Four Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT UPG I w/ESS
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- 3.45 Rear Axle Ratio
- Normal Duty Suspension
- GVWR: TBD
- 50 State Emissions
- Manual Transfer Case
- Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive
- Engine Oil Cooler
- 650CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 180 Amp Alternator
- Stop-Start Dual Battery System
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- 3 Skid Plates
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electro-Hydraulic Power Assist Steering
- 17.5 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Auto Locking Hubs
- Leading Link Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Trailing Arm Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist and Hill Hold Control
- Brake Actuated Limited Slip Differential
- Wheels: 17" x 7.5" Black Steel Styled
- Tires: 245/75R17 All Season
- Steel Spare Wheel
- Full-Size Spare Tire Mounted Outside Rear
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper w/2 Tow Hooks
- Black Rear Bumper w/1 Tow Hook
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Fender Flares
- Black Manual Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Removable Rear Window
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Light Tinted Glass
- Galvanized Steel/Aluminum/Magnesium Panels
- Manual Convertible Top w/Fixed Roll-Over Protection
- Body-Colored Grille
- Conventional Rear Cargo Access
- Manual Tailgate/Rear Door Lock
- Front Fog Lamps
- Aero-Composite Halogen Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Non-Lock Fuel Cap w/o Discriminator
- Radio: Uconnect 3 w/5" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- 8 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Fixed Antenna
- 1 LCD Monitor In The Front
- Front Seats w/Cloth Back Material and Manual Driver Lumbar
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment, Fore/Aft Movement, Manual Lumbar Support and Manual Rear Seat Easy Entry
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Fore/Aft Movement and Manual Rear Seat Easy Entry
- Removable Full Folding Bench Front Facing Tumble Forward Cloth Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Engine Hour Meter, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Removable Rear Windows
- Illuminated Front Cupholder
- Illuminated Rear Cupholder
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- HVAC -inc: Console Ducts
- Locking Glove Box
- Urethane Gear Shift Knob
- Interior Trim -inc: Metal-Look Instrument Panel Insert and Metal-Look Console Insert
- Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors w/Driver And Passenger Auxiliary Mirror
- Full Floor Console w/Locking Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front And Rear Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim, Carpet And Rubber Mat
- Locking Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Space Lights
- 110 mph Vehicle Max Speed Calibration
- Instrument Panel Bin, Dashboard Storage, Driver And Passenger Door Bins
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Manual 1st Row Windows
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Analog Display
- Manual Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Foldable Rear Head Restraints
- Front Center Armrest w/Storage
- 2 Seatback Storage Pockets
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera