Get Custom Pricing
Top Features of Base Model
- Jeep design, so it looks like it's ready for anything
- Best off-roading in the segment
- Surprisingly comfortable on-road ride quality
- Controls and switches laid out well
- Easy-to-use tech
2019 Jeep Renegade: Everything You Need to Know
About the Jeep Renegade
Jeep's Renegade is the entry point into the Jeep brand. Jeep sells the Renegade as a low-priced car. It starts at $23,520 for the Sport model with front-wheel drive.
At the high end, the High Altitude model with four-wheel drive and a turbocharged engine starts at $31,385. (All prices include Jeep's $1,495 destination charge).
The Trailhawk and other four-wheel drive models have great off-road ability and Jeep’s signature square, useful look.
The Renegade is slightly shorter than some other small SUVs in its class. But those vehicles are not off-road ready.
The Renegade isn't very quick or powerful, and not so fuel-efficient either. But it provides a comfortable ride and roomy cabin up front. Being a Jeep, it offers four-wheel drive and can tow a maximum of 2000 pounds. Active safety technology like adaptive cruise control and lane-keep assist are optional.
What's New in the 2019 Jeep Renegade?
The 2019 Renegade offers a new engine, additional features and updated trim. A 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine making 180 horsepower is now the base engine.
A new 1.3-liter, 177-horsepower turbocharged engine is standard on the Limited and Trailhawk models. It's optional on Sport and Latitude models.
While those power levels might seem backwards, the 1.3-liter turbo makes 200 pound-feet of torque, where the 2.4-liter makes only 175 pound-feet. The smaller turbo engine will feel more powerful during real-world driving.
Every Renegade comes with a nine-speed automatic transmission. The previously standard six-speed manual gearbox is gone. Up front, there's new grille trim and a redesigned bumper. New optional LED exterior lights and more active safety systems are on board as options. These include adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, and a self-parking feature.
What Does the Jeep Renegade Compete With?
As a very small SUV, the Jeep Renegade competes with the following models:
The 2019 Jeep Renegade is a good vehicle choice for people who want a very small SUV with off-roading abilities and traditional Jeep looks.
Exterior Design of the 2019 Jeep Renegade
The Jeep Renegade follows the strong boxy look familiar in Jeeps from the Wrangler and older Jeep models. The traditional Jeep grille sits up front with seven vertical openings and two round headlights at either side.
The Renegade is literally a two-box design when viewed from the side. The engine compartment is one box and the rest of the passenger cabin is the larger main box. Wheel openings are square and the rear end uses square taillights.
Interior Style in the 2019 Jeep Renegade
The Renegade's front seat occupants enjoy a roomy feel and tons of headroom. The seating position is upright. The optional eight-way power seat and adjustable steering wheel give a big range of settings. Large knobs control fan speed and temperature, plus the off-road mode selector. In general, all the controls are logically placed and well-marked. Storage for small items is decent. There’s two cupholders and a medium-sized bin under the center armrest. There’s a smaller space ahead of the shifter for phones.
Jeep uses plastics of acceptable quality for its dash, switches and controls. They aren't above average, since this is an entry-level model. Cleaning the interior after off-roading is fairly easy. The Renegade is not a luxury car, nor does it try to be.
The infotainment screen dominates the dashboard. It’s easy to use In either 7.0-inch or optional 8.4-inch size.
Back seat legroom is cramped with the front seats positioned for average size adults. The rear cargo space is very small, too.
What Technology Comes in the 2019 Jeep Renegade?
The 2019 Jeep Renegade offers as standard equipment:
- Voice command with Bluetooth for hands-free communication and streaming audio
- Media hub with USB port and aux jack
Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, rear-seat USB port, and a 7-inch touchscreen are available on the base Renegade. These features are standard on upper trim levels.
Navigation, HD radio and satellite radio and the larger 8.4-inch touchscreen display are offered optionally.
What Kind of Safety Features are Included in the 2019 Jeep Renegade?
The 2019 Jeep Renegade comes standard only with safety features required by the government. These include stability control, a back-up camera, anti-lock brakes, tire pressure warning system and air bags.
The following active safety systems are optional:
- Full-speed forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking
- Rear parking assist
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keeping assist
- Adaptive cruise control
Only the top two trim levels – Trailhawk and Limited – can be equipped with full-speed forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control. These systems are more widely available on most other very small SUVs.
What is the 2019 Jeep Renegade Like to Drive?
The Renegade Sport we drove offered a very smooth and comfortable ride quality. This may be the softest-riding very small SUV out there. Despite this softness, the Renegade handles well, gives good steering feedback and stops effectively in a panic situation. And, of course, the Trailhawk handles off-roading like you'd expect of a Jeep.
The standard 2.4-liter engine is harsh and noisy. The new 1.3-liter turbo would be a better choice for overall power and quietness.
The Renegade has a nine-speed automatic transmission. This transmission has a mixed performance record in several Fiat-Chrysler cars. It requires a hefty stab of the gas pedal to downshift, either on the highway or when pulling out to pass slower traffic on a two-lane country road.
Should I Buy a New 2019 Jeep Renegade?
The Jeep Renegade is a comfortable and affordable small SUV that. When equipped with the right options, it stands pretty much alone in off-roadability in the very small class.
However, the base Sport version offers very few features that are becoming more common even among affordable small SUVs. Plus, it offers only limited cargo room behind the rear seats. Some of the active safety systems are only available on the top trim levels. If off-roading is in your future, the Renegade in Trailhawk trim is a good choice.
Should I Buy a Used 2019 Jeep Renegade?
If you'd like to save some money on a Jeep Renegade, you might consider a used model, though the latest engine will not be fitted to used models. The values of Renegades drop more than some other brands as they age. Also, if you want a manual transmission, you must look to the used market, as Jeep no longer builds new Renegades with the six-speed manual.
How Much Does the 2019 Jeep Renegade Cost?
The Renegade starts at $23,520 for the Sport model with front-wheel drive. It goes up to $31,385 (including the $1,495 destination charge) for the top High Altitude 4x4 model with four-wheel drive and a turbocharged engine.
Pros and Cons of the 2020 Jeep Renegade
- Trailhawk model's off-road ability
- Very good ride quality when on paved roads
- Easy-to-use technology features
- Classic Jeep character
- Slow-to-downshift nine-speed automatic transmission
- Rear-seat legroom is tight for adults
- Poor rear cargo space
- Limited availability of top active safety systems
Jeep introduced the Renegade as the entry-level SUV for the brand in 2015, based on a platform shared with Fiat. The Renegade is built alongside several other Fiat models at the company's plant in Melfi, Italy.
Available with front-wheel drive and the choice four-wheel drive, the Renegade packaged Jeep ruggedness in the smallest package ever offered by the brand. Rain-sensing wipers were added in 2016 as an option and several new active safety systems were added in 2019.
Specs & Key Features of the 2020 Jeep Renegade
- Body Style
- Sport Utility
- 2.4L I4 ZERO EVAP M-AIR
- 177 - 180 hp
- 9-Speed 948TE Automatic
- Passenger Doors
- Passenger Seating
- Front Wheel Drive
- City MPG
- Hwy MPG
- Air Conditioning
- Back Up Camera
- Cruise Control
- LCD Monitor
- Remote Keyless Entry
- Tinted Glass
- Engine: 2.4L I4 ZERO EVAP M-AIR
- Transmission: 9-Speed 948TE Automatic
- 3.734 Final Drive Ratio
- Normal Duty Suspension
- GVWR: 4,277 lbs
- 50 State Emissions
- Transmission w/Sequential Shift Control
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 500CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
- 160 Amp Alternator
- Towing Equipment -inc: Trailer Sway Control
- Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
- Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- Electric Power-Assist Steering
- 12.7 Gal. Fuel Tank
- Single Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Strut Front Suspension w/Coil Springs
- Multi-Link Rear Suspension w/Coil Springs
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes w/4-Wheel ABS, Front Vented Discs, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control and Electric Parking Brake
- Wheels: 16" x 6.5" Styled Steel
- Tires: 215/65R16 LBL All Season
- Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Clearcoat Paint
- Black Front Bumper
- Black Rear Step Bumper
- Black Bodyside Cladding and Black Wheel Well Trim
- Black Side Windows Trim
- Black Door Handles
- Black Power Heated Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding
- Fixed Rear Window w/Fixed Interval Wiper and Defroster
- Light Tinted Glass
- Variable Intermittent Wipers
- Fully Galvanized Steel Panels
- Lip Spoiler
- Black Grille w/Chrome Accents
- Front License Plate Bracket
- Liftgate Rear Cargo Access
- Tailgate/Rear Door Lock Included w/Power Door Locks
- Auto Off Aero-Composite Halogen Daytime Running Headlamps w/Delay-Off
- Perimeter/Approach Lights
- Radio: Uconnect 3 w/5" Display
- Radio w/Seek-Scan, Clock, Speed Compensated Volume Control, Aux Audio Input Jack, Steering Wheel Controls, Voice Activation, Radio Data System and External Memory Control
- 6 Speakers
- Streaming Audio
- Integrated Roof Antenna
- Uconnect w/Bluetooth Wireless Phone Connectivity
- 2 LCD Monitors In The Front
- 6-Way Driver Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Height Adjustment and Fore/Aft Movement
- 4-Way Passenger Seat -inc: Manual Recline, Fore/Aft Movement and Fold Flat
- 60-40 Folding Bench Front Facing Fold Forward Seatback Rear Seat
- Manual Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
- Gauges -inc: Speedometer, Odometer, Voltmeter, Engine Coolant Temp, Tachometer, Oil Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temp, Trip Odometer and Trip Computer
- Power Rear Windows and Fixed 3rd Row Windows
- Front Cupholder
- Rear Cupholder
- Proximity Key For Push Button Start Only
- Valet Function
- Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, Illuminated Entry and Panic Button
- Remote Releases -Inc: Power Fuel
- Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel Controls
- Manual Air Conditioning
- HVAC -inc: Underseat Ducts
- Illuminated Locking Glove Box
- Driver Foot Rest
- Interior Trim -inc: Colored Instrument Panel Insert, Colored Door Panel Insert, Colored Console Insert and Metal-Look Interior Accents
- Full Cloth Headliner
- Cloth Door Trim Insert
- Leatherette Gear Shift Knob
- Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
- Day-Night Rearview Mirror
- Driver And Passenger Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console w/Storage and 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Front Map Lights
- Fade-To-Off Interior Lighting
- Full Carpet Floor Covering -inc: Carpet Front And Rear Floor Mats
- Carpet Floor Trim
- Cargo Area Concealed Storage
- Cargo Features -inc: Spare Tire Mobility Kit
- Cargo Space Lights
- Driver / Passenger And Rear Door Bins
- Power 1st Row Windows w/Driver And Passenger 1-Touch Up/Down
- Delayed Accessory Power
- Power Door Locks w/Autolock Feature
- Systems Monitor
- Redundant Digital Speedometer
- Trip Computer
- Outside Temp Gauge
- Digital/Analog Display
- Seats w/Cloth Back Material
- Manual Anti-Whiplash Adjustable Front Head Restraints and Manual Adjustable Rear Head Restraints
- Sliding Front Center Armrest
- Sentry Key Engine Immobilizer
- 2 12V DC Power Outlets
- Air Filtration
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) And Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- ABS And Driveline Traction Control
- Side Impact Beams
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Tire Specific Low Tire Pressure Warning
- Dual Stage Driver And Passenger Front Airbags
- Curtain 1st And 2nd Row Airbags
- Airbag Occupancy Sensor
- Driver Knee Airbag
- Rear Child Safety Locks
- Outboard Front Lap And Shoulder Safety Belts -inc: Rear Center 3 Point, Height Adjusters and Pretensioners
- ParkView Back-Up Camera